Previous thread: >>58313954

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, specs lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Thinkpad-Lenovo-4299GC3-i7-2640M-FingerReader/dp/B005AJYZE8
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i7-4810MQ @ 2.80GHz&id=2196
aliexpress.com/item/11-1V-94WH-Korea-Cell-Original-New-Battery-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-X230I-X220I-X220-45N1029/32347307557.html
amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Edge-E330-i3-2370M-Windows/dp/B01N052MOQ/ref=sr_1_147?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1482720591&sr=1-147&keywords=lenovo
amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X201-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B0142KPWO2/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483719857&sr=1-3&keywords=lenovo x201
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Any experience with chink chargers? I'm strapped for cash, but I don't want my battery to explode.

fuck nugs to the dome
names shaggy to dope
got my balls in her soup-oop

X220 or X230 and why?

daily reminder that the ThinkPad brand is kill

got myself a present, T410, $88

what distro so I can get Wangblows 10 off ASAP

install gentoo

Seriously though, Lubuntu and Antergos are good

>x220 cause muh superior keyboard
Seriously dude that thing is crazy comfy

Been trying to find an i7 model with an IPS screen, but haven't seen any in months.
Do they even exist or it's tablet model exclusive?

First link on Google for x220 with i7 processor
amazon.com/Thinkpad-Lenovo-4299GC3-i7-2640M-FingerReader/dp/B005AJYZE8

>x220
>i7
You'll have to buy the X230 fan if you don't want to hear a turbine each time you put any moderate workload.

(yes, the x230 and 220 fans are interchangeable each other)

X230
>better gpu
>runs cooler
>the first-gen chiclet is not that bad

Get an used genuine charger.

Debian testing

How good are the newer ThinkPads' screen color?
My friend wants a laptop under 800 for AI and Photoshop but I have no idea which one is good under 800, because I've been using XPS the entire time.

holy shit the t430 is max comfy
thanks dudes

How is battery life from an hdd to ssd?

I have the chromebook edition of x131e(celeron) running win7,
I have a battery life of about 5 hours on full usage amd on the lowest setting of like 7.5 hours i want to say.

If it matters, I will be using the wd blue 250gb ssd that recently had a pricing error and bought it for $20.

My standard hdd is a seagate 250 5400 hdd

Thanks

If you want ThinkPad you'll have to spend more than 1000 dollars. With the current generation for example, the T460s is offered with 2 display types, a baseline 60% sRGB FHD panel and a 96% sRGB WQHD(2560x1440) panel that costs about $150 more.

you can get a used official one for the same price as a really cheap chink one
main machine? or just something you will dick around on and you have another laptop?
If it's going to be your primary laptop then 100% get the x230
but if it's just something to dick around on then just get the x220.
windows 7
the only thing really wrong with it is the layout
the keys themselves feel just as good as my t40
you won't notice a difference unless you have a really power hungry hdd

Just snagged a W541 for $500.

i7-4810MQ 8GB ram 256GB SSD Jewdia Quadro K1100M
scores well on Passmark
cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i7-4810MQ @ 2.80GHz&id=2196

Track pad isn't retarded like the W540's either.

Anyone have some tips or sites to peruse for an extra power adapter, battery, and docking station? That is besides Amazon of course.

I want to buy a used Thinkpad for word processing that I can bring on planes with me, can anyone recommend a model you think would be cheapest?

Can't wait to buy a T570 and an eGPU

Sad!

X230
Do the keyboard swap if it kills you.
Plus it doesn't have the curved trackpoint buttons, they went back to the oldschool angled look.

X1C3 had an awesome matte 4K display
B140HAN01.3 panel from an E7440 is great, I have it on my T430s.
But pinpointing the panel from a seller is hard unless its the obvious IPS or upgraded panel... Because there can be more than one manufacturer for each screen resolution.

Probably like 40 minutes
It depends since if its so speedy, you might push it harder.

Very very nice!
Just buy a genuine used adapter/dock from eBay.

>recommend
I recommend a T450
>cheapest
Get a R400 I guess or X120e.

If a thinkpad has windows 10 on it but a windows 7 license sticker comes with it, because they "upgraded" it, can I use that sticker and it's info to install a fresh copy of win7 somehow?

when will I get thinkpads for free.
I'm too poor to get another one.
fund me.

btw, does lenovo still sending out batteries?
Im qualified to get one.
applied it last 29, will I get it?

Hey I have an X220. My battery lasted for 3 hours until the day before yesterday, now it suddenly lasts barely half an hour.

The only thing out of the usual I did was keep the battery and laptop in a bit colder room let's say 15°C and higher for a day. The battery was unplugged and the lap was doing some stuff at 50% cpu.

I don't know what to do. Can I somehow recondition or do I need a new one?

can anyone give me ready to flash coreboot images for x220?
I have a ch341a flasher and clips that I use for repair.
Is coreboot a nice meme?

Probably win10 doing background maintenance ie sending your nude pictures back to MS botnet

aliexpress.com/item/11-1V-94WH-Korea-Cell-Original-New-Battery-for-Lenovo-Thinkpad-X230-X230I-X220I-X220-45N1029/32347307557.html

Is this a good price for a 9cell x230 battery?

Wouldnt it be cheaper to just recell the battery I have atm?

who are you quoting xd

It would be cheaper to recell the batteries
Thats why the circuit shorts out and you end up needing to buy a battery.

so is $80 a good deal?

Was browsing craigslist listings. T43 and x61 both up for 50
Which would be the better buy? I've been wanting a thinkpad for a while now

>Just buy a genuine used adapter/dock from eBay.
Used/genuine from ebay? I was planning on grabbing whatever was off Amazon. The adapters on there too chinky?

x61 because thats cheap for a x61

No, unless they have some sort of downgrade rights. Nab a Win7 legit key for dollary doos or use daz loader is the only other option.

Went with Lubuntu, just trying out DEs and WMs because LXDE isn't my cup of tea.

they're both getting quite old now
The X61 is newer and smaller so if you want to get any use out of it, I'd go with that

Is there anywhere in burgerland to get 16GB of RAM for my dankpad for cheap? Amazon has it at nearly $80, so cheaper than that.

$310 for a brand new X230?

Only drawback seems to be Swedish keyboard.

oh and it has docking station with optical drive included in the price tag.

Don't. Swedish keyboards are known to cause left-wing mental retardation.

You could try eBay
buy from a seller who has a good rating and make sure they've tested it

you could gamble on untested ram

Swedish keyboard is okay, just don't forget to wipe off all that nigger semen before using it.

>x120e
Do you have any experience with it? Did you try to swap the motherboard with i3 one from edge 11?

I just bought a t440p, i5-4300m, 1080p, 4gb ram, 500gb hd, backlit keyboard for $290 (shipping included) on ebay.

Am I a fucking retard or was this a decent price?

Considering the first UK listing on eBay is £329 for 8GB of ram but a 900p screen, and US listings show the same 8gb 900p for about $280, you did didn't do too bad

That's reassuring. Sometimes it's hard to know. I am looking forward to ricing this fucker up with an SSD and more ram.

Guys I need to share.
I really wanted to buy newest (ok 3rd newest) thinpad generation.

But then I realised I''m spending 2500$ on a notepad that will not even run Mafia2 on high details thanks to quadro m1000m.

Now I'm considering some clevo gaymen shit.
I'm not much of a vidya guymyself, but the idea overpaying for a card that is great for CAD-like stuff only kills me.

Help /g.
(yes i will and have to spend 2.5k)

Should I remove the battery from my X230 if I'm running it with the AC Adapter for a few days straight?

literally buy something from W-series

If you have adapter plugged then the battery isn't used.

isnt it discountinued (at least here no distributor offer them)? I cant buy 2nd handed. I went for P50

Should have waited, p51 is president soon.

I cant... Ive got time to buy until middle of february

Now it drained to 7% in a few minutes and is at 7% the last half an hour.

Last I checked the W541 (Haswell) i7 quad is still kind of the beast in the Lenovo lineup. There might be a Broadwell version that's the same or better slightly.

Dont they put quadros inside as well?

they're buying you a workstation laptop and you're worried about getting a gtx in there?

fuck you, nigger

No they give me money to buy any PC i want, but for my personal use.

I appreciate all aspects of high-end thinkpads just the graphic card they put inside has an application I will never benefit from.

I was told that any screen other than IPS is shit and if I buy it i'm a fucking retard nigger?

Not quite, but TN panels are horrible compared to IPS panels

Yes they do.

X61 at £50/$50 is a good price. I paid £60 for my X60s and it is pretty nice condition. It is my daily driver.

That's true with ThinkPads.

That's my problem.
I have a hardon for thinpad, I love the aesthetics, trackpad, waterproofness, and sturdyness. I hate gayming notebooks design.

In this price check comparable p50/70 and clevo both will have i7, DDR4s and SSDs, but one comes with quadro m1000m the other with gtx1070...

Yes I know it's a 1st world problem. But I see you guys discusing about second hand t's all the time but when somebody comes with higher budget lots of anons turn passive-aggresive.

I know I'm going to get shit from someone, but /r/thinkpad on reddit is a bit more active than /tpg/, and they're much more accepting of people buying new ones

They also like Linux and Windows equally and that's a plus

And I'm about to lurk there because aparently I'm a retard because I want to spend more than 500$ on it and despite the fact that, indeed I got the money from the company for it, I do care for the equipment I'm going to use for the next 3 years.

Thanks bro.

That's not true, when under heavy load some laptops use the battery to complement the power delivered by the adapter

>go to join IRC
>IRC 100% empty
Come on guys

Typically eBay has lower priced adapters, so finding one under $15 should be easy. I paid $16 for my first adapter, and it was non-oem, never again.

If you have money to do an i3 swap, you might as well get that edge 11, a X201 or an i3 X130e.

hah
get an alienware 18 or go home

Nah, its not that bad, just the T420 & X100e get a bad rep.

Go to /r/thinkfags then and stay there.

No because its apparent you're a fucking faggot and want to get a gaming recommendation from people who prefer business computers. You walk the Dell XPS line or Edge ThinkPad.

You simply thought about getting a ThinkPad before realizing that they aren't for gaming, and then you come to the ThinkPad circle and ask for a gaming laptop instead.

x130e is too big
x201 is too old
edge 11 has disgusting case. x120e looks like it's business class serie

Well, what should I recommend genius because the person asked for cheapest ThinkPad?

>just get a T460 if you can get it under $200
>just get an X1C4 if you can get it under $200
>just get a W550s if you can get it under $200
There, cheapest thinkpad.

I came to /tpg because it's one of few boards I lurk. I know you guys know more about tech news than any ppl I know irl.
I would be completely fine if they were having shitty graphics and I'm fine they are not for gaming, but what i really realised is I pay huge load of money to have a graphic card that render smoothest CAD lines but cam't run vidya from 2013... And there is no other configuration option for p50.

I decided to talk about my matter with thinkpad circlejerk because well, my mom ain't got a clue about the topic..

And for your information all comments criticising my way of conduct are also helpfull in making a decision. I've never spent more than 500$ for a gadget in my life, including first PC as a teen.

limit the frequency by setting the maximum processor state at the power options control panel.
99% disables turbo and reduces the heat.
65-70% works pretty good for me.

Fair enough
Just remember, in general, parts for business computers are a lot cheaper than consumer equivalents, since you're getting a gaming laptop, you're gonna get the gaming tax on those parts.

It took me three months of research before setting down and buying my first laptop, an X61T half a decade ago.
I looked up everything about them.

Have you considered Dell's Precision line? They have been known be upgraded to GTX cards from Alienware laptops, much easier than HP Elitebook 87xx & 85xx line.

Is your budget $2500, or is it $800? Because it's kinda hard to recommend anything other than Aliumware.

>I know you guys know more about tech news than any ppl I know irl.
This is so true that it is actually sad.
This board has became consumer elevtronics.

I checked most of the market.

The huge part of this investition is on-site 3year warranty that comes either with p50s (quadros) or Saelics Vidi (clevo rebranding - comes with gtx 1070).
My budget is 2200-2500 to be exact.

What parts are you specificly talking about? All stuff in my price range comes with i7 skylakes, DDR4's , M.2 slots.

Even if I go for gtx, I'd use it for 5% of a time i know but more I read about nvidia quadros the more i see they are overpriced as fuck for what they give.

>gaming on a business computer
>muh high details onna laptop
get the fuck out of here

amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Edge-E330-i3-2370M-Windows/dp/B01N052MOQ/ref=sr_1_147?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1482720591&sr=1-147&keywords=lenovo

is this a good buy? needing something for college, programming and android studio

edge is shit. Get an old used thinkpad

the old thinkpads all have diskdrives and i've read that they are heavy, plus i've seen none with a HDMI port

tell me exactly why i shouldnt get the edge?

its has cheap plastic, shit screen, bad keyboard and shit hinges

well i suspected that honestly, thanks for the advice

>android studio
>being a code monkey

>old thinkpads are heavy
just get an x series you fat fuck
also, start doing push ups

I have an x200 and want to
>Install coreboot
>Replace the screen with an affs panel
>Potentially buy a new 9 cell battery
Are any of these things difficult?

amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X201-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B0142KPWO2/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1483719857&sr=1-3&keywords=lenovo x201

what do you guys think of this for £170?
>Battery pack sticking out the back is gross
>ill never use the vga port
>ill never use the express card slot

other than that this might be good value for the specs

did i say programming? i mean making futa SFM gifs

I snagged a refurb X201t with the i7, a Samsung SSD and a 8gb RAM kit for like £150 and I'm in the UK

>coreboot
there is a version of coreboot with all binary blobs removed, and works with the x200

nice, where did you buy?

some refurbisher on ebay
Can't remember the name, but remember that the background to all of the images that they used were multicoloured

>Typically eBay has lower priced adapters, so finding one under $15 should be easy. I paid $16 for my first adapter, and it was non-oem, never again.

Thanks. I already picked up an adapter and the docking station off ebay. Unfortunately a sub 20 dollar adapter isn't in the cards since I need the 170w adapter. Ultradock with adapter though can be had for 100 or less.

I got a x220 for cheap for my gf, after day of tweaking I cleaned most of the shit on preinstalled windows 7, unfortunately no GNU/Linux since she wants and is used to windows.

Any tips or guides what is recommended to make the best of your X220 on w7?

Just get the clevo then.

Literally doesn't even matter, you're going to view gaming benchmarks as a higher priority than proven reliability, ease of repairs & usability for a work computer (for which you don't even say what you need the computer for, let alone why needing a GTX 1070 at that).

Just take a 17" gaming computer to your work meetings, you wont fit in the business macbook/xps13/UX305 crowd, but who cares.

I see no reason why you want a gaming laptop for work other than you're trying to get the most bang for your buck.
IMO just get the best warranty for your computer, and maybe some extra protection for it too, and an external hard drive for backups

Damn... yeah a 170w will be a big dollar... I think I paid $125 for my W700DS dock w/o an adapter.

Best 3rd party battery brand?

Anker

Everything is will explode