Personal fuck ups/scare stories?

personal fuck ups/scare stories?

>a few years ago
>had a mid end PC somewhat old
>instead of upgrade decide to fuck it and use the -k CPU and the Z gigabyte Mobo to overclock
>decide to make it fancy and upgrade BIOS and get a new casing and fans and shit
>case and fans in preorder, waiting for a pendrive to upgrade BIOS
>think that reseting CMOS is like formatting a hard drive, that if you do it you can slightly increase performance and decrease chance of failure
>first time doing this shit
>no CMOS reset button, no pins.
>gotta remove the fucking battery
>proceed to do so
>sweatingbullets.gif
>insert battery
>computer wont start
>pic related
>my mind is racing, my family isn't exactly rich, i have no job, and even if i could afford a new gaming computer my parents wouldn't let me get one because i would have fucked this one up by me trying to be an alpha and doing my own shit
>remove and re-add battery
>reset computer
>default BIOS settings
>"loading operating system"
>Screen goes black
>"Loading Windows"

Anyone else has stories of themselves trying to do DIY shit and fucking up, or borderline fucking up?

>have cheap laptop
>buy bioshock infinite during sale
>game barely runs
>gpu temperature goes well over 100°c
>still want to play game
>go through several instances of laptop shutting down because want to play game
>after a while the gpu is finally fried

I basically killed a perfectly fine computer to play an incredibly shitty game. Replacing the GPU (if even possible) would've been a waste, given the age of the computer.

I also learned in due time that laptops are furnaces while playing games. I also fucked up my mom's laptop before i had the desktop one of OP. I also funny enough paid 1 buck for Bio infinite and regret it for it being such a shitty game.

I actually haven't fucked up a lot

Before I actually got meself a computer (well my parents did) I've been subscribing to a dedicated magazine (for complete laymen) for over a year. It was '96 I think but the moment I got the computer on the desk I actually had a clue what to do next.

My biggest fuckup was a few years ago when I tried linux mint and went the most ignorant retarded way possible with it (complete opposite of what I did when I was young)

Ended up with unbootable Linux, unbootable Windows and fucked up HDD (windows installer couldn't even detect it). Luckily I managed to get it working, retrieve my stuff and set it up again.

I'll admit I had laid off the idea of installing Linux for well over a year after the incident.

Since then I managed to switch entirely.

The entire act of me building a pc was a scare story.

I once spent 80€ on a boxed version of Suse Linux. It came with two big manual books that I never used and I only installed it once to realize that I had no idea what I was doing, and never again. That was when I was 14 I think.

Do you suggest me to change to linux? what are the advantages and disadvantages? ive had a friend tell me that its a lot more moddeable (which i dont really care for), internet and overall computer works faster, but low compatibility in the very few games that i still use throws me off.

thats not a real fuck up.
>black friday
>order parts on newegg
>i5 6600k
>as I put in cpu I bent pins on the motherboard
>didnt notice and turn on comp
>nothing happens
>hmmmmm
>check everything except cpu
>finally check cpu and see 2 bent pins
>no tweezers so i had to bend it back carfully with a fork from my kitchen
>works
thank god everything is ok

>>finally check cpu and see 2 bent pins
>>no tweezers so i had to bend it back carfully with a fork from my kitchen
>>works
Holy absolute shit i would be sweating bullets in your situation. Specially considering that i could have fucked up the Mobo and the CPU (even if i got them for cheap)

Submerge the laptop in mineral oil to cool it

its wierd. I used to put together computers for people all the time and its the first time I actually messed up and its when I finally build myself one

I hear that mineral water works much better

Shit happens. Same computer than OP's story:

What the fuck, something is fucked
>I remove the RAM, clean the pins and reattach the RAM and it works, however the same issue happens with several RAM through different MOBO connectors

>Wtf?

>trying to fix it, i decide to do some basic maintenance and remove the CPU cooler, clean it, and remove the CPU to see if i can do anything to it

>had no idea what the fuck the CPU pins were, couldn't see anything standing out

>reattach the CPU and the clean CPU cooler fan

>everything works fine

Thank fucking god Sandy Bridge and their architecture.

just google for them.
it's not for everyone

>possible memory corruption kernel panics
>run memtest
>use multi core mode
>it freezes completely on a test
>this is apparently normal because multicore doesnt work
>i still have bad RAM
>i switched the sticks and it worked for a while
>3 months later and i still havent bought new RAM

>Have a new build
>Yesterday try to plug in a USB cable.
>Touch something in the back
>Computer instantly shuts down with a little "zap"
>Nearly get a heart attack, what in the fuck just happened..
>Press the power button.
>Mfw read the text: "Asus surge protector shut down the computer to protect it. Press F1 for setup"
>Press F1 nothing happens
>Jesusfuck..Restart
>Starts up normally.
So my Asus mobo has a wireless antenna in the back, there's these two copper connectors that have an extended antenna screwed in.
From what I gather, the USB cable touched one of those connectors.
Now if you can actually short the system like this, there's a serious fucking design flaw in this particular mobo.
But thank you Asus surge protector.

my computer boots from my usb stick because i fucked up my initial install of windows

no matter how many times i format, it still boots from that stick

maybe one day it'll work properly. until then, bios boot it is.

>Helping little bro build gayming PC
>got it all up and running
>need to install something with CD
>no CD drive
>remember that I had one in my build
>remove mine and put it in his
>install whatever
>install is done so i want my drive back
>im lazy and decide to unplug it with power still on
>electricity arcs between molex connectors
>whole system dies
>little brother is preoccupied and doesnt notice
>try to turn it back on
>nothing
>myface.jpg
>take CD drive and run
>3 hours later
>i havent heard anything
>come back and peak
>he's playing Rocket League on it

uh.... Cant you access the bios boot menu and select the primary boot device to fix that?

What was it then? just a small short due to removing the CD drive with the PSU providing power to the entire thing? if that's the case then there WAS a risk that the PSU would fry everything.

I guess so. Not sure. I might have worn tbe PSU capacitors a bit, but idk what really happened.