Are Raspberry Pis fun? What are they used for?

Are Raspberry Pis fun? What are they used for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rn10J9K58YA
davidhunt.ie/piphone-a-raspberry-pi-based-smartphone/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, nothing

they are only fun for big guys.

Any single board comps that don't suck?

they're main use is to make normies look intellectual and quirky with le emulators
i use mine for pihole and vpn purposes which it does sufficiently well

intellectual masturbation

just use it for any shit that has to be always running i.e. small twitterbots or whatever shit you want your python script to crawl the internet for.

I use mine as a webserver i host all my projects on. It's really neat to use. I am not really sure about Raspbian the OS that it comes with, i just ssh into it, so not sure about there.

But for the most part, it's a nice little toy for cheap.

>pihole
iptables with hipster.js front-end? Wew lad, definitely needs a dedicated hardware for it.
>vpn
Australian internet speeds

I'm using mine for web hosting. Nice little tool, which can be running 24/7 and doesn't break your bank, because the power consumption is so low. Surely not everyone can make good use of it, but sometimes comes in handy.

I use it for a media center.

It's not nescessarily fun but it's a very cheap , low energy compact PC.

>Australian internet speeds
yikes my man, maybe in a third world country
speeds are enough to access my files

I use mine as a VPN so that I don't have to open ports towards the web when I want to manage my servers different functions.

100mbit nic on usb 2.0 bus

odroid c2?

roku/kodi player connected to my tv.
Its pretty cash.

Mandatory.

ODROID C2 outperforms a Rpi 3:

CPU of 2.0 GHZ with integrated heatsink.
2 GB RAM.
GPU of 700 MHz.
HDMI 2 40K 60 FPS.
h265 video compression.
microSD + eMMC for storage.
4 USB 2.0 + microUSB OTG.
40 pin UART.
10/100/1000 LAN.
New ARM64 technology.

Can play Kodi just fine. Also gaymes youtube.com/watch?v=rn10J9K58YA

I think they're fun. You gotta have an idea of what you want to do before buying one. I have a few Rpi3s. Retropie on one, Kodi/Openelec on another in the bedroom. I'm currently setting up a minecraft server for my little cousins to play on. I want to build a barcade in the next few months. There are lots of things you can do with them, but like I said, you need a plan. Otherwise you're just wasting money.

Kodi box, use mine every single day.

Free films are the best thing ever

Kodi, Retropie, FM Transmitter, Backup system

Install plan9.

>VPN
>Without AES instructions
LaughingGNU.tiff

digital signage
SuSE Linux

They're not that fun desu.
Youd likely have a better time with an Arduino or similar microcontroller.

Are seedboxes a meme?

I have an arduino, they are like five bucks and are really stinking cool. Go online and get you a starter kit like I did if you want.

I'm making a spy camera to capture photographs when it detects movement. I will not be using this for nefarious purposes, nor will I be capturing potentially illegal photographs e.g. of my housemate.

>What are they used for?
Nobody has figured it out yet

I use mine as a local Linux server. I compile and run all my code from it cuz it's easier than Windows

Hello there buds.
I'm looking for a small (as in smaller than a normal Raspberry Pi) single board computer.
Does any you fellas have any good suggestions as to what I should get?

Pi zero?

their awesome 10/100 ethernet port lol

I was thinking about it. But any retailer I could find had run the price through the roof.

for you

How can I use my raspberry pi to get myself unbanned from space station 13 servers? My desktop hardware is banned

the cpu debunked to reach only 1.5Ghz instead of 2.0, thats about 25% more performance than the pi but its still good value

print server. have a like 15 year old canon printer, i rarely print anything, but when I do, I can do it straight from my mac or iPhone thanks to my raspberry pi and because apple made CUPS open source since they love the open source community and since Apple love to spread happiness and love

>Avoid a ban by routing my traffic to a pi that's connected to the same network
You deserve your ban retard. I bet you pm admins if the AI won't do everything you ask

I do the same for a scanner, because my new machine doesn't have a real USB1 anymore.

Retropi, Kodi, backup, seedbox.

Why do so many people use a VPN when you can do the same thing with simple SSH?

You can set it up in like a minute, lock it down by only allowing key based authentication, then on your client you tunnel through whatever ports you need inside your network.

VPN seems overkill

I bought it, put kodi on it and that's it.

never owned one but i did take an old ps3 and turn it into a linux box

These are like arduinos. If you have to ask what they are for, you shouldn't buy one.

What do you mean by free films? isnt Kodi just a home theater software? I assume you just torrent and use kodi?

stream
the
mean
machine

Why the shit would you want to use SSH from a phone?

>they're main use is to make normies look intellectual and quirky with le emulators
>i use mine for pihole and vpn purposes which it does sufficiently well
lol, irony

noted

I run a VPN and Home Assistant on mine.

If you google Raspberry Pi project, there's an entire website that showcases things people have done with them.

Some people use them for storage with external hard drives. Other people make emulation stations with them. You can start doing kinda nifty things with the external tech bits that can be used with it. There are even touch screens you can buy that work with the RPi.

This. If you have no idea what you're getting into, don't even bother.

Fucking meme computers.

>Learn programming
>Host a web server
>Run Linux

No, how about you man the fuck up and stop treating your fucking desktop like a DVD player you piece of trash

i use one as a server for my music collection. its nice since it uses very little power

Then why would I ever learn how to use a system that I'm not sure what to use it for in the first place? Give an aspiring reader an idea and they'll seek out how to make it a reality. 99% of everything has a step-by-step guide online that can be followed, and serve as a stepping stone to synergizing your own projects from what you've learned.

My desktop doesn't have 40 pin gpio.

then you're desktop a shit

I would like to have one. Would run mumble server for friends.

SSH proxy can only be used by one program at a time, VPN sends all OS traffic through encrypted tunnel.

>he relies on hardware jew to generate Random keys™ on a hardware-based encryption system
Software encryption is more reliable

Orange Pi Zero

>computer hardware is banned
>he spergs about network
wew, this is Sup Forums, right?
Run it in VM with modified hardware IDs, like motherboard number, different disks and MAC address.

Problem is that most of those projects aren't all that interesting. It's making something that does something poorly for the sake of making something that does its job poorly.

I just run a small web server on mine. About all its good for.

Anything you want to run 24/7 with minimal power consumption and not needing too much processing power. And the pins can be used for lots of cool stuff. Arduino is often a better option for simpler/more specific tasks, because it only needs you to set up the single program it's running and not a whole operating system, and it's much cheaper.

using mine as an FTP server, web server, mumble server and another one for pihole (network wide ad blocking on every device)

Anybody here ever wanted to turn an SBC into a mobile Linux phone? I've been thinking about it for a long time and the only problem I see with doing it, is the fact that I'd look like a fucking autismo answering calls and sending texts on a stack of PCB.

FYI, a chroot on your old smartphone can do much of what people use raspisses for.

seem like it'd be fun but it looks a bit to bombish to use in public
davidhunt.ie/piphone-a-raspberry-pi-based-smartphone/

Retropie
Centos based DNS/Samba4 server

I'm wanting to customize not only the software on my DIY phone, but also the hardware thus a smartphone of any kind is not an option for me.

I could probably manage to find someone to 3d print a case for it once I get far enough in the project, so that's not much of an issue.

depends on you man, do you need something simple to do a simple task?

>exodus

How low-power can you get a Raspberry Pi to operate?

Like, the TI MSP430 (Launchpad) can run in crazy-low power modes. You can configure it to wake up, say, fifty times per second, or once every ten seconds, or whatever. So, you could build something like a car alarm with crazy-low power drain most of the time.

Can you do similar things with a Raspberry Pi, or is it only really suitable for constantly powered (i.e. wall current or a running car's 12V) applications?

C.H.I.P.?

Beyond doesn't support ARM though

raspi is completely different from arduino

It doesn't even run in l0onikks

alot of people use them for robots, usually controlling one or more microcontrollers like arduinos

My team is working a system that uses about 200 of them spread all over a building to perform indoor real time mapping of small Bluetooth Low Energy tags on bracelets and badges and things.

At the moment I'm working on refactoring our code to work entirely off a ramdisk so the root fs can be mounted read only and hopefully eliminate the sd card corruption we've been seeing. Ansible-pull is really cool.

I got it running with no bugs in wine on arch in two evenings or so of research. Needs a 32 bit wineprefix iirc, and something involving dx9. I remember following a tutorial from like 2008 and downloading a couple of random DLLs from some site. I was going to try and duplicate my steps so I could stick them on the vg station wiki but never got around to it. Still might though- i had talked to an admin who uses Linux when I hadn't gotten it yet and he said he had never gotten it working when he tried, so there's some motivation for me to document.

No idea about arm ofc. Guess it depends if wine has a build for it.

I think, there is documentation on winehq site. At least it states gold or platinum support.

Don't fall for the Odroid meme, especially if you are buying a first device of this kind. Pi's userbase, software quality, guides count and software support significantly outweighs any hardware speed that odroid has to offer. For example, last time I checked, RPi has open source video driver, while odroid doesn't offer gpu acceleration on Linux desktop, just on Android, let alone the source.

Pi has fucking proprietary bootloader. That's it.
You mostly won't give a fuck about video drivers on a sensor-collecting microcomputer or web server.

>iptables with hipster.js front-end? Wew lad, definitely needs a dedicated hardware for it.
Of course, because that way you'd get an adblock for all your devices, not just computer.

Some of the easy use cases include your own vpn (if you have unique IP), media center (watch twitch tv), play retro games (retropie; e.g., playstation 1, sega, etc.).

I use one pi connected to a small 5$ color tft display to show various stats like room's temp, humidity, desktop's cpu and memory usage, current speed of data that goes into internet from all devices connected to the router, etc. But you typically need to know programming languages like Python to pull off custom stuff like this.

cheap vps alternative for me, runs twitterbot, btc script and taskwarrior sync/frontend. Also I can send pictures via telegram and get URL back with auth options

Is it hard for you to copy iptables file to your router?

AES-Ni only improves speed of encrypting and decrypting of AES.
It doesn't generate keys itself.

You buy them so you can ask Sup Forums what to do with it. that's the only pupose of raspi's...

>Are Raspberry Pis fun?
No. They only save you money if your time is worth nothing. They're also completely locked down proprietary pieces of garbage.

>What are they used for?
Pain and suffering. Good luck getting a web browser on that thing to run your javascript-heavy monitoring dashboards.

Environmentally friendly people replace their power-guzzling desktops with the v3 Pi. If you care about the planet please consider doing this yourself.

(Me)

Yes, I just reactivated my rb pi 1.

I run the following services on it:

Torrent client over a VPN (deluged + deluge-web + openvpn). The service is reachable over a browser within my home network do manage the torrents.
Headless Jdownloader connected to my.jdownloader.org for downloading from filehosters.
Kodi that hosts all files via upnp to the local network. I can connect to the upnp service with other kodi as clients in my network.
Lighttp to host a small welcome page with links to all services. I redirected a subdomain from one of my domains to this server for easier access. E.g. home.bla.com -> 192.168.0.XXY
Obviously additionally SSH service for management and samba for accessing the files from my computer.

Although my raspberry is an old version with only 512 mb ram, it manages to host all those services.

Its because they're always way understocked at introduction. You should be able to get a reasonably priced one by now.

>raspberry pi
>$35 computer
>stills needs storage and power supply
>orange pi
>$7 computer
>$5 shipping per unit even though it only weighs 23g and you could fit a dozen inside your pocket
>stills needs storage and power supply

What's the cheapest SD card or microSD card and power supply to run those shits?
It may not matter to you because you only buy one but it this stuff adds up when you buy several of them.

No one buys power supplies for these. We just use our old phone chargers.

I don't know shit about Byond but it looks like they support leynucks.

building a pitendo is fun

I'm thinking about setting one up with guitarix as a cheap/lightweight effects system. Any advice?

Where do I get 5 spare phone chargers? I'm still using my first phone.

Walk into next hotel.
Say to clerk: my friend/father stayed in this hotel last week and he forgot his phone charger.. It was a black Samsung one.
Clerk comes back with box full of phone chargers.
Pick one and leave.
Repeat.

Thank me later.