IPv6 addresses

>IPv6 addresses

Who the fuck thought this would be a good idea?

>let's replace some easy to remember numbers with a retarded long hex string

Other urls found in this thread:

sophiedogg.com/funny-ipv6-words/
[co:ff:ee::12:34:56]:8080.
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

At least it will keep newfags like you out when people can't memorize the IPv6-address for Sup Forums

better than IPv4

You're dumb as fuck. That's literally what DNS is for.

It's almost like you don't even like an unfathomable amount of addresses, weird

Nah man, nobody got the time for IPv6 reverse DNS lookup zones.

Because we ran out of easily remembered numbers. Why? Because (((certain groups))) want every device in your home to be internet connected and have a microphone.

Enjoy the telescreens, citizen

>tfw when to intelligent to use DNS for ipv6

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear. :^)

>want every device in your home to be internet connected
my toaster doesn't have an IPv6 address. even my iPhone connected to my ((home network)) has an IPv4 address.

The addresses are still just numbers. You can display an ip4 address as a hex string, and you can use dotted-decimal notation for ip6 if you really want to. Makes no difference, a number is a number.

The notation does make sense to me but if you dont like it, dont use it. Start a notation convention revolution :)

This is definitely NOT why we ran out of ip4 addresses. Your home has 1 IP address, the devices in your home dont consume additional addresses.

The weird thing is that I know literally (in the sense of the word) not a single person who thinks that IoT is a good idea that we desperately need.
Given, I live in a bubble of IT people, most of which are sporting a huge beard, but to me it feels like this wouldn't be even a thing if it wasn't for *the industry* aggressively pushing this shit because they ran out of ideas what to sell.

now_we_have_three_standards.png

Spotted the person that knows fuck all about networking

>he doesn't type in the IP
Hah, I bet you use a package manager as well

ipv6 is nightmare

i always disable ipv6 on my server boxes because having ipv4 and ipv6 causing me lot of problems

Well, tell me the true reason then.

I compile everything from source, which I type in by hand!

>easy to remember numbers
>easy to remember
Sure, I bet you also know the IP of Sup Forums.org by heart

Yes, but it's why we need more

IPv6 is only a nightmare because people don't understand it

it's too different from just “IPv4 with more numbers”, so all the networking admins have to re-evaluate their knowledge about networking. Of course, sturgeon's law applies to network operators.

i have 0 problems memorizing it. you're just dumb, OP

See

Whatever, I just want NAT gone.

I have the IPv6 prefix of my old server memorized by heart, but not of my new server. Fuck me :(

so you can build grey goo robots and not run out of adresses

There are ISPs forced to do CGN because of muh ipv4.
Every ISP should have already ipv6 implemented but due to incompetent ISPs and muh money they are holding it back.
Of course I understand the money problem but it's retarded because we mostly talking about ISPs that have millions of money.

Personally, I don't really care about NAT removal all that much; for me the biggest draw to IPv6 are the architectural improvements like SLAAC, link-local addresses and most importantly privacy extensions

Because the 128-bit space is so gigantic, it's no longer possible to enumerate devices on the internet by brute force scanning. Stuff like XSS attacks on "192.168.1.1" are no longer possible because the link-local router address will be 128 bits wide. (Although routers with built-in DNS that resolve special addresses to their own IPs will still be an issue)

Enumerating IoT devices that are connected purely over IPv6 is nontrivial, so it makes botnets much harder to form unless you have a reliable source of devices connected to a given network. And thanks to privacy extensions and temporary addresses, stuff like IP logs will not be usable for this purpose because most of the IPs will be invalid by that point.

The very long term plan is getting rid of NAT though. Which is entirely possible with enough space.

To be more precise, we ran out of IPv4 addresses *long* before IoT became a thing.

If you want to know when we ran out of IPv4 addresses in practice, just look at the timeframe of when NAT became common in households.

this

we were running out, something had to be done

and yes, unfortunately everything is steadily going to shit. I know this is old news but have you guys already stopped to realize that certain smart tv models have cam/mic in them now? the telescreen is an actual thing now

i honestly would not be surprised if during our lifetime we witness the end of the age

You are right I don't know shit about ipv6

But it is certainly not my fault that someone who designed ipv4 was not more far-sighted

I will keep using strictly ipv4 only for as long as possible

>someone who designed ipv4 was not more far-sighted

4.3 billion addresses sounded like enough back in the 80s when you had tens of thousands of machines linked up.

>Because the 128-bit space is so gigantic, it's no longer possible to enumerate devices on the internet by brute force scanning.

but AS are propagating their active IP ranges
anyone can get this info and scan them

why are you not using ipv6 yet, user?

>he doesn't use both
God you're retarded.

Is there any kind of advantage to IPv4 in a homenetwork? Honest question, but I don't think so.

But I am, even my Gopherhole is dual-stack

is your home network jewish?

I just don't like new non-proven technology

I only jump in when shit is extensively tested by millions

why haven't you bought an ipv6 block yet? even the lowest /64 with one subnet will give you 2^64 adresses for relatively low price

IPv4 adressing will end soon, there is no enough IP combinations for the amount of connections around the world. So IPv6 was created to adress that, we probably will have enough combinations to the whole fucking Solar System.

And? 128 bits are 128 bits

They will with IPv6.

Then future-Sup Forums can complain about how complicated IPv8 addresses are when quantum-ping'ing from Alpha Centauri.

>let's move to an incomprehensible, designed by committee security nightmare so that everyone can use their shitty insecure IOT devices with a public address

With this keyboard.

I don't mind my devices being visible to the outside world. My firewall blocks everything anyway.
Besides, I fucking hated port forwarding in the ol' IPv4 days.

Because my ISP are dickheads and don't support it.

Why would you want that?

Because NAT introduces complexities and issues that shouldn't need to exist.

what's your problem exactly?
I don't see anything wrong with IPv6

>IPv6 addresses
>Who the fuck thought this would be a good idea?
People much smarter than you.

> Who the fuck thought this would be a good idea?

And how exactly would you represent a 128-bit address space in a way that is easy to remember?

if only we had the technology to map some easy to remember names to these numbers

>muh icuck

Of course! We'll call it the Difficult Number Simplifier!

useless overhead

My ISP doesn't offer it

>easy to remember

How is this a concern with DNS?

Can't you just do something like
sophiedogg.com/funny-ipv6-words/

> (You)
>now_we_have_three_standards.png

We always had them:
Binary
Octal
Decimal
Hex
Cut marks on an animal bone
Etc...

1. It's compatible with IPv4-only devices

2. Since you still need IPv4 support, adding IPv6 support is generally just extra overhead. (Although for most cases, IPv6 uses SLAAC, so you don't have to manually configure it except for special requirements)

How would I benefit from having IPV6?

Thank you, Friend Computer.
What is an internet?

Regards, user-R-AID-5

>Who the fuck thought this would be a good idea?

MUH IoT @!@@!@@!!!!!!

Well played, user.

And IPv6 has been

You realize IPv6 is 20 years old and is used by about 20% of the internet already (according to google's public IPv6 stats), including about half of the top domains?

PS: Death to the commie mutant traitors.

>reading comprehension

>security nightmare
please tell me more about how IPv6 is a security nightmare in your expert opinion

The people who designed IPv6 actually thought about the future though so while the addresses are not as friendly as IPv4 it should be pretty much the last address system any living person will have to work with. The address space is so huge you can give every person on earth millions of addresses as still have more available than you have assigned.

I like the idea of a LAN though. And the overhead is negligible

The most annoying thing about the notation is that you often need to escape it in [] to distinguish it from the port number, for stuff like HTTP URLs involving a raw IP

That is literally what they thought about hard drives in thr Megabyte range one day...

1. Connectivity with IPv6-only services
2. No more NAT -> no more port forwarding
3. Future readiness, so you don't get left stuck in the water when services start dropping off the IPv4 radar
4. Significantly improved privacy and security (your device won't constantly be hammered by chinese botnets trying to ssh in, your IP will automatically rotate on a regular basis to obfuscate the relationship between devices and IP)
5. Greatly simplified configuration thanks to completely automatic configuring of link-local addresses (aka private networks), router advertisements and so on
6. Preferential treatment by many services, as IPv6 is usually preferred over IPv4 to encourage and reward migration

>people blame IoT
It expedited it, but < 4 billion IPv4 addresses wasn't going to last in a world of > 7 billion people anyway.

>I like the idea of a LAN though.
What makes you think you won't have a LAN with IPv6?

Don't mobile phones often use ipv6 addresses? We should have plenty of them thanks to phoneposters.

Yes, but this is quite a different situation, we are talking about physical things that may have a single address. Unless we begin to make molecules connect to the Internet we won't be needing another address system in at least 300 years.

IoT didn't expediate jackshit, we ran out of IPv4 addresses a good 10+ years ago

Most smaller carries and ISPs pretty much use IPv6 exclusively since they simply can't purchase the IPv4 addresses required these days

Okay so I gain nothing. Gotcha
I haven't had to fiddle with port forwarding since 2004 with Xbox Live.

>someone fucked up futureproofing once therefore no one can ever get it right
There are roughly 340,282,366,920,938,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 potential ipv6 addresses. That's enough for every single person on this planet to have roughly 48,611,766,702,991,200,000,000,000,000 addresses to themselves. If the human population increased by 1,000,000,000x each person would still have 48,611,766,702,991,200,000 addresses to themselves.

It's enough.

not the same thing at all.

Buying glasses is useless if you keep your eyes shut, yes

2^128 = roughly 10^38. For comparison, the number of atoms in Earth is roughly in the order of 10^49.

Can someone explain to me why we can't just recycle old addresses?

As expected, the luddite who doesn't understand the hacker culture is a closet fag

I bet you also ask yourself what you gain from switching to HTTPS. True geeks don't need to ask, they do it for the fun, the nerd cred and the spirit of advancing technology.

Now get off my lawn

They are all used

That's already being done at the ISP level. And sure, big companies have tons of IP addresses sitting unused, but those really wouldn't make a very big difference.

I think there are already more internet connected devices than there are ipv4 addresses. The only thing that's kept it alive for this long is copious amounts of NAT.

Wait until smaller and smaller more or less intelligent machines become the norm. To save on cost you'll only give them the required computing power to communicate with distributed computers. Think terminals + timesharing system. Each needs an address.

> a book consists of x amount of characters, so we could store 10000 copies of every book in existence on this one hard drive; it's enough

Because how LAN is currently is set up, NAT is needed to havr LAN and a connection to the outside world. But now that I think of it that could be fixed by having a LAN and an IP per device.

>nerd cred
Cringe

1. Most addresses are physically in use. The only large address blocks you could reclaim are stuff like university or military blocks which were assigned broadly during the early days, and good luck convincing those places to let you pull their addresses out from under their feet.

2. That would be delaying the inevitable. Why put effort into forcibly reclaiming a measly few address blocks when you're going to have the same issue in half a year again? The internet usage is exploding, and that explosion is still ongoing. The mobile phone market is nowhere near saturation, and most of the world is still just gaining an internet connection. We ran out 10 years ago and now we're way over the top and hungrily fighting over scraps and leftovers. “Recycling” will get you like what, 5%-10% of the address space at best? Why do that when you could just switch to IPv6 and get 7922816251426433759354395033600% of the address space instead?

There are enough IPv6 addresses for every single bacterium on earth.

Business ISP guy here. We offer IPv6 for free, as many subjects as you'd like (within reason ofc), but nobody wants IPv6.

All the servers that need to be reachable by everyone are the problem. We have exactly twenty customers who accepted IPv6.

RIPE has one /8 left (185.0.0.0), from which about 70% have already been allocated. America's equivalent is already out of IPv4, there's a waiting list for surprise finds (some who got /8s back in the early days are selling their range back because they dont need as much)

It's not about cost for ISPs, IPv6 is cheap af. Buying an IPv4 subnet is horribly expensive these days, and you've got to justify it to RIPE before you're allowed to (this takes a lot of bureaucracy). Also, the subnet might be tainted (-> the IPs are on every spamblock list available), in which case you can forget running mail from servers with those IPs.

There are actually some design errors in IPv6. For example, if you want to surf to a webpage by its IP on a special port, it looks like [co:ff:ee::12:34:56]:8080. This sucks, they shouldn't have used colons

>comparing ten thousand to 48 nonillion
please reference