/spg/ - Smartphone General

CES 2017 the hype is dead edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of fucking March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Asus unveils Zenfone 3 Zoom, Zenfone AR with 8GB of RAM, Tango and Daydream
gsmarena.com/asus_unveils_zenfone_3_zoom_and_zenfone_ar_with_tango_and_daydream_support-news-22548.php

LG makes the Stylo 3 official at CES, the latest stylus-toting mid-ranger
gsmarena.com/lg_makes_the_stylo_3_official_at_ces_the_latest_stylustoting_midranger-news-22545.php

ZTE officially introduces Blade V8 Pro and Hawkeye
gsmarena.com/zte_officially_introduces_blade_v8_pro_and_hawkeye-news-22533.php

Moto Z Unlocked Smartphone 64GB - $ 499.99
amzn.com/dp/B01LEL8ABY

Nvidia announces their new 4K HDR Shield for $199
overclock3d.net/news/systems/nvidia_announces_their_new_4k_hdr_shield_for_199/1

This Is The New BlackBerry Mercury
youtube.com/watch?v=uPXXTCZRID0

Huawei Honor 6X First Look
youtube.com/watch?v=2GFT9GBUO38

old

Other urls found in this thread:

androidcommunity.com/nokia-rumored-to-release-6-or-7-android-phones-this-2017-20170106/
pocketnow.com/2017/01/06/lg-g6-confirmed-no-modular-design
xda-developers.com/google-nexus-6-finally-receives-official-android-7-1-1-nougat/
reddit.com/r/tablets/comments/3ub86x/do_amoled_displays_cause_more_eye_strain_than_lcd/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nokia rumored to release 6 or 7 Android phones this 2017
androidcommunity.com/nokia-rumored-to-release-6-or-7-android-phones-this-2017-20170106/

LG G6 officially confirmed to scrap modular design, launching ‘in the very near future’
pocketnow.com/2017/01/06/lg-g6-confirmed-no-modular-design

What does /spg/ think of the MotoZ phones?

is it possible to back up apps on one device and install on another without root?

also how easy is it to undo root for warranty? im considering doing it but in the past ive bricked on other devices

Can anyone recommend a good dumb phone with physical buttons that I can use simple apps and browse Sup Forums on? I like the current Nokia phones, but they don't have 4g.

Should I future proof my phone by getting something with a snapdragon 820/821 and 4 gigs of RAM so I can finally install windows 10 for ARM when it comes out?

my oneplus x died yesterday night. spent the entire evening out in pretty intense cold so I think that might have caused it.

is there any potential fix? recovery ain't doing shit.

no dumb phones would have a web browser, thats a feature phone. Sup Forums will run like shit on any non smart phone. pretty sure all nokia are smart phones tho

web browsers were actually pretty common on flip phones. I remember the feature being advertised in the early 2000's.

those aren't going to work with the current day web though. hell any HSTS website will refuse them.

flip phones are again feature phones not dumb phones. you can still get heaps good android phones that are flip phones in japan

Good idea to get an iphone 6 64GB and jailbreak it? cheers.

why?

What happens if you charge the phone? I'm guessing either the cold completely drained the battery or some moisture got inside the phone from being outside and short-circuited something

We're just a few months away from snapdragon 835 though

Depends on the phone, usually you unroot from the SuperSU app or by installing a stock ROM. Though some phones will show if they've been messed with even if you do unroot (tampered flag / flash counter)

its a mi max.

Why this image always? S6 is not that great.

Been looking at pic realted. Good deal?

If not, any recommendations on good chinkphones?

No global rom so nevermind.
Can anyone recommend a good chinkphone with global rom?

Is the Honor 8 any good?

Yes.

I can't stand this shitty MIUI OS anymore. Now that cyanogenmod is dead, what is the best option with good customization and light hardware footprint for the Redmi Note 3 Snapdragon?

Hey Sup Forums is it possible to flash a custom rom to a xperia m4 aqua with a locked bootloader(can't be unlocked)?

Because it says "smartphone general" on it

Forgot to add via adb

old image
why not? cyanogen isnt dead either its a fucking name change because of rights

I'm finna cop a new phone in April, I have shitty sprint unfortunately, can I somehow but am Xperia despite the phone being under a different carrier?

Daily reminder that Android and IOS spy on you and give apps microphone permission. This means that they listen to your conversations and generate ads depending on what you say.

The only OS that does not do this is BlackBerry OS 10. It is the safest and most secure.

The best phone that uses BB10 is the Blackberry Passport. Despite being almost 2 years old now, it is still faster than many new phones on the market and has a great battery life. The screen is the best for web-browsing. It also has an IPS display instead of AMOLED shit meaning your eyes won't get strained from heavy use.

Best for

>productivity
>web browsing
>general cellphone use
>security

You can get them for $180 new unlocked now.

The only reason to buy a newer IOS or Android phone over this one is because you're a faggot that uses his mobile device as a gaming system (aka anti-social loser).

Every successful business person I know, including myself still uses a BlackBerry Passport.

Because of dozens of stupid interface stupidities, awful file but most of all, the terrible background process and memory management. So it still is worthy to install cyanogenmod?

File explorer*
Also, lineage is the rebrand of cyanogen? Is it out yet or should I get the last version of cyanogenmod?

What if I'm not a successful business person?

Can someone recommend a simple ad free sound recording app?

I just want something that records in some sane format like AAC (m4a) with decent (120+) bitrate.
That's it.

If you can buy a G3 for a good price, it might totally be worth it over a G4 play.

>Awful bulky non-offset physical keyboard
>Ips
>No apps
>Awful optimization
>muh freedom

The fact that you think oled strain your eyes ia more than enough proof that you are a retard.

what dont you like about the ui? could always use a different launcher like nova. just get cyanogen and flash lineage or w/e its called on stable release. im disliking miui too, the fact you cant disable shit and the unchangeable icons suck. but i dont care too much.

on a different note does anyone know if its possible to get the sony xperia gallery app on non xperia devices to run? i loved that thing mainly due to the speed it had of rendering images compared to most of this other trash thats out

xda-developers.com/google-nexus-6-finally-receives-official-android-7-1-1-nougat/
Is Google even trying? The whole point of Google phones is that they get instant updates (given they are inferior to the Samsung flagship every fucking year in every other aspect) and they don't even get that right.

Because rooting your android phone and putting LineageOS on it without GApps is too hard for you? Get off my board faggot, come back when you have learned how to use technology that's not 10 years old.

Should I install every-day apps on an external SD card instead of my phone's own storage?

Amazon Kindle, Clover and all that stuff.

>>Awful bulky non-offset physical keyboard

You get used to it. In fact, I can type faster on it than an on screen keyboard.

>Ips
Once again, this is a good thing. The IPS is a rich display that makes reading text easy. It has much better viewing angles than does AMOLED. I personally experience less eye-strain on IPS.

See this :
reddit.com/r/tablets/comments/3ub86x/do_amoled_displays_cause_more_eye_strain_than_lcd/

>I owned two Galaxy Notes, 4 and 5, both "Super AMOLED", and both caused me a lot of eye strain and even headaches.

>No apps

All that I use my phone for is texting, emailing, facebook, calendar. Apps are mostly gimmicky and serve no purpose. I can access the android store for a few that I may need (e.g Evernote linking app) and it typically emulates them flawlessly.

Let's be honest. Most apps are over-rated anyways. Name one that I would be missing out on as a businessman.

>Awful optimization

Not an issue.

>muh freedom

Freedom from corporate espionage and to say what I want without having to worry about turning the phone off. I sometimes have my employees turn their phones off when discussing proprietary business information because if say Apple or Google (or a host of any of the apps with the permission to use your phone) was privy to what was discussed, they would steal our ideas.

I don't trust it.

How is TouchJizz nowadays? Might get S7 Edge if it isn't much of an issue, but Samsung warranty treatment in my country sounds bad.

I'm at the point where iPhone SE looks like a good option again after despising all the things wrong with iOS and iTunes I had to suffer years ago. What the fuck is wrong with me?

Whats a good 5" phone for under £260?

Had it for 3 months now.
Gave me no problems so far, amazing camera for the price.
Battery life could be better though, but charges amazingly fast provided you use the given charger.

Would it be a nice upgrade from a Nexus 5X?

Currently I have an s7 edge and I have shattered the touch screen and the glass. I am obviously not responsible enough to have a $800 phone if I'm gonna do this kind of shit to it.

I enjoy watching videos so I at least want a decent screen.

Touchwizz being shitty is a meme

IRL it's better than stock

hows Verizon? thinking of getting a Moto Z Play but Im not sure if I should grab an unlocked one for full price or the Verizon one for 200 down and 10 a month to pay off the rest

FUCK YOU CLOVER

webm in clover has bricked my nexus 7 so hard T_T

and i forgot to turn on my usb debugging

fuck me man, fuck me

How much is it to get it fixed?

I'm on a Sprint lease and have come up to my upgrade.
What is a good one to get from an S5 Sport?
I have a grandfathered plan, so data is of no concern.

Stop larping as a businessman you disgusting shill.

Zuk Z2.

I would think more than the phone costs. I would need to repair the glass + the LCD

You have shitty eyes if you suffer any sort of eyestrain on anything besides a 30hz flickering crt, I pity you. I'm a professional video editor and the only advantage of IPS against oled is price and burn in. Oled needs to be calibrated more often due to hifher blue decay, on a smartphone, however, that is irrelevant. I much prefer not having ips glow and crushed black detail that plagues ips screns. I've seen awful badly calibrated cheap e-ips screen on smarphones, simply being ips is not good garanty of superior colors at all. Most of those ramblings about privacy and secuirty is tinfoil conspiracy paranóia, I dont live in US so I couldn't care less, most my importabt stuff on my pc is encrypted anyway and I don't deal with sensitive security information in my emails.

I have never owned a smartphone. However, I got one into my hands now. It's an old phone from 2011. I've been looking into those custom ROMs. Can they really breathe new life into the phone or did I fall for a ruse? I saw that the Android version on it is 2.3.something. Can this be "improved" in any way?

>You get used to it. In fact, I can type faster on it than an on screen keyboard.

The fastest typers in the world types on 5" screen. Learning to type in a custom phgsical keyboard is a waste of hard wiring neurons as you will inevitably need to switch smartphone one day and it won't be the same layout and you will have to relearn everything again.

I just bought a Z5 compact from an outlet store. The phone was half price as it had been used as a store sample (not sure if thats the right word but this was the unit customers could touch and use to see if they want to buy the phone). The problem is whenever I press the power button it shows some video with pictures of the phone and when i press power again the phones settings are reset. I can still delete apps and remain logged into my google account but all other settings resets. Is there any way to solve this problem? I cant seem to find the phone for sale anywhere else here in Sweden and would be pretty bummed if I have to return it. Thanks

Factory reset it and if that doesn't help I'd suggest flashing the OEM rom again.

Mi Max or Redmi Note 3 Pro?

>
>what dont you like about the ui? could always use a different launcher like nova. just get cyanogen and flash lineage or w/e its called on stable release. im disliking miui too, the fact you cant disable shit and the unchangeable icons suck. but i dont care too much.

I miss A LOT of notifications from WhatsApp or BBM. Tried to remove battery management on those apps + Google services but I still have delays

>I don't trust it.
Good point genius, why trust an open-source OS that's reviewed by hundreds of people around the world when you can use a closed-source OS who's safe and spy-free because BlackBerry™ says so? Trusting other people is good, BlackBerry™ for example trusts TCL to not install Chinese spyware on their phones.

best small phone that has a good camera and battery life? have a budget of £250.

I tried reset but it didn't work. Would flashing affect the warranty? Could anyone tell if I've flashed?

iPhone SE is really the only good small phone

increase budget or go up to 5 inches

Flashing doesn't hurt the warranty if the image it's official and signed by sony afaik. But something really is wrong with your smartphone if it does this desu.

When sony releases an OS update and you don't want to wait until it reaches you via OTA you can flash it by yourself I think. But other anons should confirm this first. Maybe I'm talking bullshit right now.

All right, thanks dude

>Android 2.3 device
>Can it be improved in anyway?

Yes, recycling it, the environment thanks you.

Turn off MiUi optimization and memory optimization in developer options. if you want CM just unlock and flash it it's still online.

>still no 128gb OP3T

the demo mode for store display is still on. The video it's showing is just an ad for the phone and the settings resetting is to stop the customers trying it out from messing it up too much. Strange that they didn't realise to turn it off at the store once they decided to sell it though. Take it back and ask them to turn it off or try googling "Sony Z5 demo mode" to find out how to turn it off yourself

That's why it's showing he settings reset to stop the customers messing it up too much

What phone?

This, I moved from a GALAXY S4 to a moto g and now a rn3p and I am suffering with the shitty interfaces and bad optimizations. Touchwizz may have dumb gimmick features that takes up nand space, however the performance and customizations are stellar.

Mi Max if you can handle the 6.44" display
RN3P special edition if you need B20 (800mhz LTE)

>the performance [...] are stellar
touchwiz still performs like shit and will get worse over time
only difference now is android phones come with a shit load of ram so you think it's performing wonderfully meanwhile if they actually spent time slimming down TW, there would be plenty of ram and space for other things and unique features 2bh

>Mi Max if you can handle the 6.44" display

Just bought for this reason, must be nice to play and watch videos on it

Bullshit. Another myth. My S4 performed as well as day 1 because I don't install thousands of shitty social media cancer apps that have background services running. My S4 which was 2gb ran much better than my moto g4 plus and my rn3p with 3gb of ram in terms of memory management. I'd have pokemon go, whatsapp, 30 chrome tabs, camera and a couple of other apps and pokemon go would never unload from memory. Switchimg tabs and apps was smooth. Moto g4 which was mostly pure android and also 2gb and a 3 year newer phone was inferior and my 3gb rn3p is a fucking joke.

I'm fucking annoyed by the trend to make every fucking phone bigger

>oh look at us, we release a new phone
>there, it's a generic 5 inch device :DDD

There is literally no compact phone on the market left except for sony phones and their newest one is utter shit. I fucking hate the phablet trend

>inb4 hurr durr manlet xdddD

why would you want a compact phone, manlet? You can always buy an iPhone SE

My note 4 was sldeatroyed recently so I've been searching for a replacement; found both a s6 and m9 on sale for $150; which is the better one to go for? Or should I just search for a cheaper s5? I've had both and m9 and s5 in the past and liked both

Had an m8 in the past*

iphone a shit

really tho how is verizon? the alternative is t-mobile or at&t or (lel) one of many random dogshit carriers like tracfone

The Moto e is a cheap compact phone; using it as a backup phone right now and while it's slow, it still does everything a smart phone needs to be able to do, while having a better battery life from its small size

>there are still people not using Xiaomi

I'd honestly take m8 or s5 over their successors. m9 got the housefire 810 and the s6 lost a lot of the good features the s5 had

What's a good phone for 400CAD, unlocked and works with Bell

THANKS! Just found this on the web myself but you were right. Have a great day man

What exactly is wrong with the Sony compact phones?

sup Sup Forumsents, gettin pretty tired of the non-support in USA Xiaomi memery with my Redmi Note 3 Pro. Think its finally time to get something with proper US support.

Is there anything as good as the RN3P with good USA support (taking into account cheap RNP3 price, etc)?

Main things I care about:
-SD card slot
-long battery life
-fingerprint scanner (I love using it....but I guess its optional)
-Good processor

I'm with cricket wireless but gonna switch to T-Mobile soon

>z5 compact no longer available in my country unless I pay over 450 euros for a new version
>x compact glossy plastic

Honor 8.

Check out the new A3 2017.

Is there any reason not to buy the redmi note 4 and just flash the global rom?

My bad for the original messed up post; it's between a m9 and s6 for $150; or should I just wait for better phones? I'm using a Moto e and while it's a giant step back, the battery life is pretty good and GPS works better than the note 4; ji use my phone as my primary tech device though

I got pretty hype about the Google Pixel and then it came out and I completely forgot about it.

Now that the dust has settled, what is the verdict on it? Someone give me the lowdown.

>glossy plastic
are you one of those faggots who care how their phones look? Just put it in a case

I don't want to put my phone in a case. I thank that glossy plastic is a great choice if you want a phone that gets scratches very easily.

I have a T Mobile Galaxy S7.

Where do I start with rooting my phone? Is there a sticky for it?

Axon 7

>phones perform great when you don't actually use them
WOW
*claps*

Yes, it has zero community support and MIUI is garbage and will always be garbage.

+overall the best android phone
+best camera in any smartphone
-some features missing that other flagships have (not waterproof, no microsd slot)
-some software issues
-overpriced and ugly according to some people

I did that but it reboots randomly and BBM does not autostart