/fglt/ Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on /fglt/: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

sprunge.us/SfDc
gitlab.com/femsf/toleranux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why my download speed is very low with torrent client?

you should use gnutella instead of torrents

slow seed

sprunge.us/SfDc

Here's the results from that. I don't remember installing any of these fonts recently, and none of them are the non-working fonts. What exactly can I do with this info? I don't think I actually use these fonts, so would uninstalling them be an easy fix?

I normally set system font and such with lxappearance, and then termite's font in ~.config/termite/config

I'm running openbox/i3. I'm in the middle of a migration, started having all these issues right after the move to i3 and while trying to rice a bit. It's been a pretty rough couple days.

nope, problem is not in torrents
if i get torrent which has like 2k seeds and 100 peers, my download speed will be ~90KiB

Everything worked fine few days ago

>trying to rice
Sorry, but you got what you deserved

Your ISP throttled you

trust me it is not that, im in serbia, there is no any type of control.

All I was really doing was replacing i3bar with something else. When I setup Polybar it wasn't showing up right even with the example config. It was all downhill from there.

Global upload speed is probably too high.

compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --vsync opengl-swc

The solution to all problems.

who is this semen demon?

eyy white boi post desktop nao

Dionne Parler

jungle fever imminent.

except these shitty meme flags don't actually solve anything, and yet I hear them repeated everywhere

at least, they don't work with an nvidia gpu because nvidia is shit. it's not worth buying a new gpu to me just yet, though

The answer is compiz. I have ran mkv, mp4 and 10-bit chinese cartoons without any screen tearing or stuttering.

It is by far the only compositor that does its job properly. The Compiz settings manager allows deep tweaking.

I have a shitty Intel HD graphics and I am running videos on mpv with no issues.

>I have a shitty Intel HD graphics and I am running videos on mpv with no issues.
This is an important difference. I have one (1) machine that just uses Intel graphics and with compton it doesn't seem to get tearing. Nvidia graphics curse you to a life of tearing due to shit drivers, though.

what's the point of linux when you can't play video games on it?

Unity/Compiz work on my Nvidia/AMD desktop as well. This laptop came with Intel and I can't put another GPU in it.

Other DE's like Xfce, Mate and Cinnamon are not as polished. Diagonal screen tearing on Cinnamon and Xfce is a common issue.

Using GNU/Linux is more fun than any video game I've ever played. I'm not joking.

women are not a minority. "wanting" diversity is stupid as hell. Either people join or they don't.
It doesn't matter if you are black, white, man or woman, just apply for the job like everyone else.

Gaming is fun till you get a job. It requires uninterrupted time and feeling of comfort.

You feel dead inside after working 10 hours a day 6 days a week. All you want is some ASMR and coffee while shitposting on your waifu station.

when you don't have enough women, they'l call you sexist, so many companies try to hire women

But I do play my games on it

And this is why there are so many traps in /tech/.

+ you feel beautiful
+ gets you the job
+ gets you the dick

Bump. Tried removing dejavu and now everything falls back to sans. Also noticed that Lemon and Tewi don't even show up in lxappearance now for some reason.

what distro are you using?
some distros have bitmap fonts disabled

>$ man
>man

All the fonts worked before, though. For the past year even. Something broke overnight. I don't think that's the issue. I'm on Arch.

Have a look into gitlab.com/femsf/toleranux

>man

>The man or manual util is simply oppressive because of its name. To fix this, it is changed to wymyn for wymynual. Wymynual is special in the fact that it does not take demands but rather proposals. Just because you want to wymyn cyrvix does not mean wymyn will give you the wymynual of Cyrvix. Perhaps it decides to give you a wymynual on pgrep instead; this is okay because the program is not being forced to comply to demands of potential oppressors.

You should try bro pages.

ebin

They are in tech-related jobs. Which isn't surprising since so few of them opt for a tech-related education in the first place.

>file

>file is utterly banned. How dare you question a file's identity!

gold, kek

why do you people allow women into tech? they ruin everything they touch. i live with a few of them and suffering from crippling depression. they just don't shut up and stop complaining about trivial things.

jesus fuck end my life.

Your comment is false because there are lots of people out there who unironically think like this

there is a "woman command"

just cat /dev/urandom

Are you a woman?

Since your whole post is just complaining about trivial things, maybe you should shut up.

destroying lives is not a trivial matter. robbing you of joy, happiness and life savings is not a trivial matter.

how's excluding women from tech different from women in tech trying to exclude because of muh social justice?

Identity politics is the primary killer of open source.

The key reason why open source was supposed to be a successful development model was anonimity.
It was supposed to not care about your race, your sex, what gender/animal you identify as, your religion, your political views.
The only way open source developers were meant to be measured with was the quality of their labour.

If youre an obese alcoholic with crippiling depression and social anxiety, that's also a heavy smoker, a hoarder and someone with extremely poor hygiene you wouldn't count on finding work in regular software development where work is done in a tight cubicle packed with other people.

Your self-destructive behaviour would be a huge problem for everyone around you in a regular work environment.

But in open source model where all your work can be done from your smelly, trashed basement noone cares.

You write good code - your good code is accepted and your work has been a successful investment of your time.

with women it is not about good code or a fair chance at succeeding in STEM, they are just trying to piss off qualified men by turning ordinary things into sexist misogyny.

mentally ill people, all of them.

I don't see any relation to "women in tech"

>Something broke overnight.
>I'm on Arch.

That's normal.

I cannot install pycryptodome with pip, what to do?

found out this shit has an api so I hacked this thing together:

$ bro() { curl -s "bropages.org/${1}.json" | grep -Po "(?

on the other hand, centralized stuff sucks, well, ignore my post

>wished all these faggots (tldr, bropages, cheat, commandlinfu, etc) would just merge into one, organized project..
There already is, it's called "manpages".

manpages are the opposite of what these other guys want to achieve

You misspeled texinfo.

This. man is being deprecated.

top kek, it even has "cis" comand

Will GPU passthrough ever be done with one GPU? I'm think of upgrading to Zen or the eventual Skylake-E which means I won't have a iGPU for the host. Even then, I like to use the discrete card on stuff like emulation and native gaymes.

>Will GPU passthrough ever be done with one GPU?
No.

does it have udp?

just found the problem
my max connections was set to fcking 5 lol

Wait, so GPU passthrough can be done with an integrated Intel GPU? I mean, as the host GPU. I have a laptop with a discrete GPU and I thought it couldn't be done because of this.

I honestly don't understand, who is pushing for this women and diversity and tech, how did this happen?

It isn't far fetched or a conspiracy to believe this was set up - we are having groups that NEVER had an interest in these things whatsoever start to creep in. You aren't going to tell me that chicks and homos were just dying to become programmers and nerds back in high school.

Is it the corporations themselves, pushing this so they can have cheaper workers?

Just disable those files in your fontconfig and you'll stop getting DejaVu. What distro are you using?

Of course the host can use the iGPU, that's how 90% of the people do it. Linux with iGPU and pass discrete for gayming. But I'm not too sure on the laptop though, I've read it's really tricky or even impossible.

My question:
I have a fresh debian install with XFCE and mouse is a bit laggy and firefox feels like it has no HW accel. It's not that the mouse actually lags but it's not as smooth as windows idk how to explain otherwise.
But firefox is also somewhat choppy when scrolling, HW accel. is enabled and I have proprietary drivers installed. Any help?

>But I'm not too sure on the laptop though, I've read it's really tricky or even impossible.
Because of Nvidia's Optimus faggotry?

> I have two different terminal appearances with urxvt

I am confused of why one is saved,and the other was not after I deleted Xdefaults,and Xresources

Is there an alternative Wireshark but for linux? I liked that tool on Windows but I would like something like that always running on my server

wireshark runs on linux

wireshark has a daemon mode

use search engine before asking.

Installed python3.6 update for Arch and now half my shit doesn't work :(

Can one of you Arch experts tell me how to properly downgrade to python 3.5?

Thanks.

I'd just like to interject for a moment and remind you that if you had instead used GNU Guix as a package manager in Arch you wouldn't have this problem, as it allows for unique dependencies for each package, and easy to do rollbacks.

recompile it

will guix install my proprietary softwares?

it's a package manager

Does it manage my proprietary packages?

Well, that's too much of a pain right now.

I also read on Arch forums that downgrading to 3.5 is gonna break even more shit.

Anyway, a fix for my DE is already on Github so it will take few hours to propagate and get into AUR. I think I'll just wait it out.

PS: I'm starting to believe that this meme is true. I wouldn't recommend you run Arch on your main computer.

there's no such thing as proprietary package.

Does it manage my packages that contain proprietary softwares?

help

i installed a proprietary nvidia driver and now my computer doesnt work. can i uninstall it from here or do i have to reinstall?

I wouldn't run any rolling release distro in 'production' (your day to day system) unless your time has no value, and you can afford to track down bugs for a few hours.

The best thing I ever did was switch to Nix and then later to GuixSD. I simultaneously dumped virtualenv/gems/jhbuild and other environments with one command "guix environment". I save hours per day building docker containers for work on a laptop and can launch them exact as is. When I need to change my system all I do is edit one textfile and change some scheme functions around and presto I have a new system, if it doesn't work I can always safely roll it back with no downtime.

This is esp handy for python development (i hate python but have to use it for some things, TensorFlow for one). Juggling a bunch of virtualenv and version of python quickly leads to doom. Anyway I just came by to interject and shill

using ubuntu

>file /usr/bin/python
/usr/bin/python is a symlink.
sudo unlink /usr/bin/python
sudo ln -s /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/python

another arch user getting what he deserves

Package managers are unaware of what kind of software the package contains

python should always link to a version of python2
python3 should always link to a version of python3

if he fucked up python3, he needs to fix the python3 link, and while he's at it, he should also fix the python link, because arch devs are too retarded to set up a system correctly.

>not having a self aware package manager that audits software before installing
pleb

>doesnt work
it works. it just failed to load the driver. blacklist the driver and fix it

>do i fit in yet? XDD

>hey guise, I can greentext too. guise? guise?

Hey user, I do ML dev with TF as well! What do you use a base distro? Also, is there some guide to GuixSD you'd recommend to a noob? I'd like to get up&running quick. Thanks!

If half his shit doesn't werk, it's probably looking for python2/

sorry, how?

You've been granted the endless well of knowledge known as the internet. Just ask it.

yeah but i cant type anything and the internet says i need to use the command line.

Thanks user! Interestingly, pacman removed 3.5.x binaries completely. I can still see some python3.5 stuff in /usr/lib however.

I think I'm gonna try that. I'll unlink python, ln -s python to be python2.7 and ln-s python3 to be python3.6

let me do this and reboot and I'll report back.

GRUB.

huh

>Interestingly
That's how pacman works

>I think I'm gonna try that. I'll unlink python, ln -s python to be python2.7 and ln-s python3 to be python3.6

Have fun breaking your system

This Python shit in general is retarded. IMHO they should have given Python3 a complete new name because of the incompatibility to previous versions. The whole desaster leads to people who "update to the newest version" and breaking their programs. That said, Python3 is better and fixed lots of shit, but the way some distros implement the change is pure horror. And that said, Python devs who don't specific the version their program is using are retarded aswell. Fuck this whole shit. It's a nightmare.

>breaking
it's actually fixing it