youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No

No

no

Thread steal:

What if I have an i3 3220?

are you poor or what?

Then upgrade to a skylake or wait for ryzen to come out.

absolutely not, your 3770k will be relevant until it straight up stops working

yes

I'm still rolling with i5-2500k with absolutely no desire to upgrade...

t.gayman

>tfw 2500k @ 4.5ghz

I'm thinking in another year or two I may upgrade.

Unless you already have a Z270, no.

don't get cucked by intel. ryzen will fuck them over. intel gon be bankrupt in less than 12 months

>tfw i5 3570k @ 4.4 ghz
Was 4.6 for a while, then started having stability issues, so knocked it down too 4.4, voltage is 1.29V

why is that?

ryzen + vega + 64GB ram

Would I need a new mobo?
It's a gaymen PC by the way, if that makes a difference. Is the processor holding me back? It has a GTX 670.

your 3770k wouldn't hold back a titan, your elderly gpu is holding you back.

It's not a 3770k, it's a 3220

Since when Intel upgrades their products? Just a rehash of the same shit with smaller transistor size, ALL of them uses the same 140W tdp wich a 3 to 13% increase in performance.

>tfw you fell for the skylake meme

Kabylake is out alreadly and they got a unlocked i3.

If your later cpu was a Core 2 something then it is fine. But skylake just hit the wall, there is no way around for now.

i was on a wolfdale pentium so yeah skylake was great for me

yes you would need a new mobo and ddr4 ram. But really, that gpu is probably hurting you more than the i3.

Alrighty then, that's all I need to know. I'll upgrade the GPU and ride the CPU for a little longer.

Thread steal:

What if I have a i5 3570k 4.3ghz?

W-what if i have an amd fx 6300?

then you made a terrible mistake with faildozer

>Intel
>Bankrupt

Lmao

This, I myself am running a 2600k and I don't feel limited in any way.

Different user with fx6300

Is a current i3 a good enough upgrade or should I just wait for zen? This 6300 is really starting to show its age badly

what about i7 4771?

would need a new mobo tho cuz meme socket

I'm in the same boat. I really want shit like m.2, but it just doesn't seem worth it.
I was thinking of going Zen/Vega, but maybe I'll get Vega first and Zen down the line.

p-please respond

Zen. You can afford to wait till March.

An i5 would at least arguably be. An i3? Not really.

>implying I'll have to upgrade
Lol no. Sandy Bridge is the first and last big chip intel has to offer.

tfw 2017 i3 is not better than nearly 4 year old FX chip

I wish I could buy an older i5 but they remain the same price if not more than the current

Is it really coming in March? I didn't even know it was planned for Q1

Nope. Anything 2nd gen or newer is just fine
I had i3-3250 and upgraded to i7-6700K so that i won't bottleneck my GTX 970 (which died and got replaced by 1070)
Your GTX 670 is probably more of a bottleneck than the i3
I would upgrade if you would be upgrading your GPU to 1060/70/80.
If you do not plan to upgrade your GPU, there's no reason to upgrade your CPU.

They are fine.. But it depends on your GPU.
If you have 1050Ti or something worse, i3 is the sweetspot. If you have 1060/RX480/970 or something better, i would go for i5 (if you don't have the money for it, i3+1060 is still better than i5+1050Ti)
..Or just wait for Zen

>If you have 1050Ti or something worse
I have a 7970 still and see no reason to upgrade that since I'm playing at 1080p. But I could really use better CPU performance.

I guess I'll wait a while and see what happens when Zen comes out. If it's unimpressive I'll go i5.

>3770k
mah nigga. Mine is running @4.5Ghz, not updating for at least 3 more years.

I have an i7-860 (~250$ in 2009) and a GTX 970. Vive VR games run just fine, should I upgrade yet?

I'm not even kidding.

7970 has got similar performance to 1050Ti
It's performance in newer titles is crippled by the lack of driver optimisation (I'm not talking about the AMD vs Nvidia war, it's just because it's 5 years old)
It's better in some games, worse in some other games.
I don't really think Zen will be bad. Intel has made almost no progress after Sandy bridge. FX series are just plain bad.

Same also, what a boss chip. Though I kinda wish it was shittier so I could upgrade, feel I've had this amazing thing forever.

2600k Master Race reporting in. They said HT was a meme and would never be useful. 6 years later and now who's laughing?

Probably after Zen comes out. The last significant IPC bump Intel had was Sandy Bridge, so Skylake would be about 60% better clock for clock, and clocked higher besides. And from what I understand, the early SMT implementation wasn't all that great, anyway.

>le 3.5 meme

I have a 4770k and I want to upgrade to MOAR COREZ until I realized that X99 is literally old now and the cheapest hexacore is still slightly bit more expensive than the 7700k

If I buy a X99 now the chances of Intel spawning a Skylake-E with a new mobo is pretty high

Hence I am presented with a choice; ignore upgrading my CPU and throw all my shekels on a 1080/1080Ti to replace my 780 and upgrade all of my SSDs plus my 3-5y/o HDDs or buy a Kaby Lake plus a 1070 and my data will go full JUST within the year

>That much AMD hardware
Have fun with your overpriced heater.

lol no

originally I was waiting for Skylake to upgrade. But as soon as I realize that it was mostly more power efficient and not much more I didn't feel like upgrading. The games I use run still fine and as long as the game doesn't rely too much on CPU, I will be fine.

CPUs havent really been improving much since about the first Quad CPUs from intel appeared.

>Intel has made almost no progress after Sandy bridge
Seems to be the case based on every fucking time something comes out. I don't get their marketing strategy. What's the point of releasing yearly revisions if it's such a small difference

Because there's always someone who needs to upgrade from an old-ass PC to something new.

Intel stopped innovating around the same time that AMD stopped being able to compete. Funny how that works.

And Kaby Lake is like the biggest "haha, fuck you, now gimme all your money" of all time
It's basically 5% or so overclocked Skylake with a lack of Windows 7 support and with some added hardware DRM.

>lack of Windows 7 support
How does that even work?

>with a lack of Windows 7 support
Dumb question, but can I move my Sandy Bridge build to Kaby Lake without reinstalling W7?

There's no need to upgrade since the Core 2 Duo

a socket change a year keeps the goyim in fear

From what i've heard, the iGPU doesn't work in W7.
I didn't get my hands on Kaby Lake yet, so i can't say anything more than that.
You can, if you modify your Windows registry. Just google it, just like i did.
However i wouldn't move to Kaby Lake in your case, Sandy Bridge is still fine (unless you have i3 or something)
If you plan to use W7 i would upgrade to Skylake, it's the same as Kaby Lake performance wise, Kaby Lake is just clocked a little bit higher. Or just wait.
The Kaby Lake support in W7 is still a big unknown.

Rockin i7-4770k..im good brah

>iGPU doesn't work in W7
It's fucking nothing

Ryzen 4c/8t for 150€ right guys, yea
t Phenom 965BE

If you play games or render, there is a good use for a newer cpu.

You aren't getting completely fucked yet, but it would be a worthwhile upgrade if you aren't just a facebook machine.

no reason to upgrade till ryzen 8 core is out. intel is not better to a level that makes going from 4/8 to 4/8 with while, but going from 4/8 to 8/16 is appealing, also considering it will likely push single core faster than that, while also being a soldered chip.

Playing the Witcher 3 I'm only at like 30% usage across all cores

youtube.com/watch?v=VDo-j00vUtw

>Titan X

That just means its maxing out two to three cores

My 2500k works just fine but I just got my 6700k for 160 after S&H so opportunity told me it's time

Across all cores, not an average of all cores

Where at?

Windows doesn't give an accurate representation of core usage.

I can write an endless loop that maxes out a single core and windows will show as if it is being spread across all cores.

not understanding your point unless you are so gpu bottlenecked your cpu isnt doing anything, but that would be unplayable framerates.

not the case with windows 7, do you just never use windows?

Since I'm a wageslave, Intel retail edge, it was worth having Intel try and brainwash me

Those CPU are a bottle neck to a monster card like a Titan X

Any sane person would be using a mid range card that maximizes price:performance and won't run into bottlenecks with any i5 or i7

God damn no one on Sup Forums knows anything about computers

tfw im still using i5 2500k without oc and have a shitty gpu only because i want to use more monitors than the igpu supports

Yep, I'm on a 2600k and don't feel the need to upgrade as well. I have a relative waiting on my PC parts when I do upgrade. Kaby Lake isn't enough to entice me to upgrade but we'll see about Ryzen.

Plus, it gives OEM's a chance to release new and improved laptops, etc.

Kaby Lake is one of the most oddball CPU releases. I guess it's not like Faildozer where their latest CPU was a regression in IPC.

>he doesn't upgrade every new release

I don't think I'd quite go that far.

just upgrade from my 4440 to a 4790k, feels good man.

$280 at microcenter. so tempted to get the 5820k but i can't justify spending 200 on a new motherboard when there's nothing wrong with my z97 board.

you got a semblance of a point there, however, early on in the video he explains why you want the gpu to be the bottleneck over the cpu and may of these games are hitting a cpu bottleneck before they make it 120/144 on older cpus, it also shows some games that do take advantage of newer cpus, as a common belief is that a 920 is still as good as new cpus, when sandybridge was a 50% uptick on average.

for the 930, there is reason to upgrade, those little 3-5% upgrades add up over time, and sandy bridges 50%

but like I said, there is reason to upgrade, but I would wait on ryzen as that 8 cores of headroom isn't for nothing.

>spend $400 so you can play gay man a little bit faster
Fuck that