Is it worth switching to AMD just for Freesync?

Is it worth switching to AMD just for Freesync?

I ask this because I am in the market for a new monitor and a new GPU, and I'm trying to bump up to 1440p at 100+FPS (144hz monitor). Currently rocking a 970GTX + a 1920x1200 IPS monitor, but since theres no such thing at 1440p/144Hz IPS monitors, and G-Sync supported monitors in those specs start getting some ridiculous Nvidia tax, I was considering just jumping ship and going for AMD so I could use Freesync instead.

Is it worth it? Or will it be a mistake in temps and performance?

Other urls found in this thread:

smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGGOXWQ
hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gEw3CaNSbUo
youtube.com/watch?v=s12S74umruY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I mean if you've got a beefy enough PSU, can get a used r9 fury and don't mind a small spaceheater in your room you'd get near-1070 performance for like $300

Tl;dr: maybe

Well I have power limits. I have an ITX build with a 450Watt SFX power supply,
smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGGOXWQ

Seems to do a-okay with a 970 and overclocked 6600K @4.5GHz

Also heat is a bit annoying, I live near the equator and any additional heat is already a pain in the ass.

Look for the pixio 1440p 144HZ IPS free sync display its less than 400 then just get a 480 as you wait for VEGA

I'm getting the gtx1060 6GB is g-sync necessary ? I'm new to this i've only learned about components assembly and the vable management.
Only thing i left out was monitor

>no such thing at 1440p/144Hz IPS monitors

Just got my Pixio PX277 and it's that with freesync.

Nvidia should be able to do Freesync as well.

Where have you heard this? Because everything I've read says the opposite. It only exists in laptops, but in their desktop GPUs it is disabled.

You should be buying a 480 meng it already caught up in DX11 performance

NVIDIA are freedom hating Jews and want you to pay extra for adaptive sync

>Disable free feature on your hardware just so you can force people to buy your overpriced version of the same thing

Why is Nvidia so jewish?

the 480 is better than the 1060, objectively. you'd also save a substantial amount of money going with freesync over gsync.

adaptive sync is not necessary but it's a nice-to-have. I wouldn't rush to upgrade my display but if I were to buy a new one or build a new desktop I would definitely make it a criterion.

It's my first build and i don't want ANYTHING to have too much heat. Also gtx1060 is better on more aspects than rx480

Rx480 is nice on vulkan and price tho.
But i already made my decision.
So do i NEED g-sync or not ? I found a 24 inch LG IPS 2560×1080p monitor for just 179 euros

That's a dumb reason to not get one GPU over another.

But to answer your question you do not need G-sync. It's nice to have and I would get a 480 and a cheaper freesync monitor instead.

reconsider your decision. you have been misinformed.

hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73945-gtx-1060-vs-rx-480-updated-review.html

Gtx1060 is better on more fields than rx480. The only reason to buy rx480 is because it's still pretty good quality against price

Very hard question to answer.

Right now amd has nothing to offer you if you want 100+fps at 1440p with no lowered settings, on top of everyone was able to make a freesync monitor so they shoved shit out the door.

Amd does have the best adaptive sync displays, but they also have the worst ones. The one I had access too advertised 30-144 but was able to go down to 18, and this is where you fully understand what the sync can do. when your gpu is ready for a new frame, your monitor will push it, this makes games feel so much smoother, because lets face it, nothing will push 60+ all the time, you will dip down and its how your computer handles the dips that matters.

even if you have over 60fps unless your computer is pushing a new frame the moment it possibly could display one, you will have some lag, but sync gets rid of this.

Its worth having, but not at the cost of going amd right now. Amd isn't bad, but they have nothing to offer you in terms of better performance, you would be paying nearly 300$ for a side grade.

Damn, that's disappointing. So even AMD's highest grade cards can't push sub 4K at a good framerate?

no, anything AMD is never worth it unless you are a poor child

I just want my pc to be nice and cool is that dumb ?

Anyway thanks

Low Framerate Compensation can help mitigate that entirely. My monitor has a range of 55-144, and if a game dips below that, it duplicates frames so you still don't get screen tearing.

I'm using a r9 290 from over two years ago and I get 60+ fps on many games with high settings at 1440p.

Was playing Just Cause 3 with everything maxed and getting 55-80 fps.

the Fury X should, and it's not much more expensive than the 480.

in any case, 970 -> 480 isn't a total sidegrade. you do end up with a beefier GPU, especially at 1440p. it's just not a very cost efficient upgrade.

Those are memes. Any AMD card with aftermarket cooler has almost the same temps as their Nvidia counterparts (last gen they were some degrees cooler). Just get the cheapest one

>1 category

this is never the reason why nvidia have had the better gpu's. nvidia just works better with all aspects of gaming e.g. ogl emulation (pcsx2). you wouldn't be investing in a product which is the price of a short holiday if you weren't an enthusiast or consider gaming your hobby.

t. someone playing lotr:ttt on pcxs2 ogl right now on a gtx 980 without the issues i had with my previous 390

Those are benchmarks.
Im not getting an aftermarket cooler. Gpu should be cool by themselfs not by the help of thirdparty coolers

it's also significantly more power hungry than a 970 though, it's got like a 150 watt higher TDP than the 970

he means a non-reference card you dip, just avoid the gigabyte one and get say an XFX, sapphie or MSI one

>non-reference

Spot on. Only retards buy cards with stock cooler

I think i should sleep now

Technically Nvidia cards can do it. But Nvidia is Nvidia so not going to happen soon.

watercoolers too, but
>watercooling a 480

Not any more friendo. New benches have the 480 either now the same performance, or better than the 1060, in many games that the 1060 was previously performing better than the 480.

The opposite is now true. There are more games where the 480 performs as good or better than the 1060.

You buy a Nvidia card for the first month or two of performance, then AMD gets their drivers in order and starts creeping past. AMD's cards have in general been "theoretically" better or at least as good as the comparable Nvidia card, hardware wise. Nvidia spends tons of cash and time to have godly day 1 drivers. Just how it is.

I dunno what black magic and human sacrifices RTG practiced, but their driveres are more or less decent now.

Please link me to some good videos with benchmarks.

To be honest everyone on the red team says the same "they will update, believe me!" I don't want to buy something if i have to hope they'll update.
Why is Nvidia good for only 1 or 2 months?
I have AMD catalyst and it's very clumsy and uncomfortable in comparison with geforce experience

JUST fucking google hardwarecanucks re-review.

They have pretty similar power consumption. There's pretty much no reason anymore to buy a 1060 over a 480

Search 480 2016 on YouTube joker and hardware canucks have videos up

I will do more research tomorrow

you have niche requirements. that's fine. I bought a 970 last time because AMD cards were terrible on Linux at the time.

that doesn't change the facts. 480 > 1060

I switched to AMD just for this. Wanted a sync 1440p, 144Hz monitor and I'd be able to get a way better GPU with AMD than if I were to get a gsync monitor.

Nvidia is foolish for not switiching to freesync, their gsync is honestly a joke. I got a 1440p 144Hz freesync monitor and Fury X for the same price that would have got me a 970 and gsync.

Every proprietary nvidia meme is a joke. G-sync is even more of a joke because you need to pay goytax to do the same thing your competitor does FOR FREE.

Aren't they going to start charging for shadowplay too? Wtf are they thinking? They make nice products but damn I'm so glad I switched and don't have to deal with all their shit that keeps popping up.

Only thing I was worried about with AMD was their drivers after hearing some horror stories but I've never had an issue or crash with them in about 1.5 years of ownership, should have just ignored the memes and swapped sooner.

no. just because the 480 barely matches the 1060 in AAA games by 2 fps but loses out to the 1060 by 20 fps in pcsx2 it doesn't mean the 480 is better.

You forgot the hottest new meme from nvidia: Geforce Now, where you pay 25 bucks for 20 hours of play. And you have to but the games.

youtube.com/watch?v=gEw3CaNSbUo

youtube.com/watch?v=s12S74umruY

2bh it's not a bad idea and i'll probably use it myself if i'm out an about. $25 worth of play time would last me like half a year. i'd probably only use it on long train journeys when i'm going back and forth from college.

and how are you getting a stable high speed internet connection on a train?

i don't know where you live but all the trains here have wifi at ~20mb/s

I live in America, most of the country has 5mbps/500kbps and it's $60 a month but only with a phone/TV bundle

In any case though, you'd be better off with a basic gaming laptop to not have to deal with any latency issues, and they most likely won't roll out servers everywhere because hardly anyone will buy into this service

Thats not true

The 970 has a 145 W TDP and the RX 480 has a 150 W TDP

>It's my first build and i don't want ANYTHING to have too much heat

LMAO

what are you, 14?

>because hardly anyone will buy into this service

psnow has been out for years now and is popular. this is practically the same.

No? Psnow gives you games. Jewvidia service only allows you to rent computing power. You still need to buy said games.

>psnow has been out for years now and is popular
Is it popular outside of japan?

pcsx2 is a piece of shit emulator compared to an emulator project like Dolphin

it's the same situation. for psnow you need either a ps4 or one of those small boxes things which give you access to the games. there's already an initial investment. with the nvidia thing it's taking something you already have and applying the same rules because the initial investment are the games. i'd rather pay 25 dollars for a service which allows me to play all games than for a service which costs the same price and only allows you to play 1 game. psnow only allows you to play a single game.

Well yes. Fuckers still can't make AC04 work.

ps2 games > gamecube

nobody cares about dolphin

You pay 25 dollars for 20 hours of play time. The fuck, no one is good enough goy to fall for this.

Only good PS2 exclusives I can think of are MGS2/3

Dolphin at least gets updated and uses Vulkan now

Emulation is still going to be mostly CPU bound anyways

i meant the R9 fury

I would honestly wait for vega if you can, From the looks, and not the shitposting, its looking to be coming along nicely, and if amd did bring out a new arch for it, there is a chance they really are targeting volta as their competition and not pascal.

Either way, it would serve you to wait unless shit is breaking, as amd is pushing freesync 2 which will have quality control this time around, and vega may be the upgrade performance wise you are looking for with the ability to do freesync on a monitor that you read reviews and they tell you its good.