/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

samlogic.net/articles/autorun-usb-flash-drive.htm
couchpota.to/
lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/04_key_presses/index.php
stackoverflow.com/questions/13225500/how-to-change-the-working-directory-to-the-location-of-the-program
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How practical is mining bitcoin on a rpi3?

Not pratical at all.

reposting from lasts thread since it popped

i'm looking for an extremely simple USB music player for my 80 year old grandma, i'm getting tired of buying and burning CDs and then end up re burning cds because they get scratched/lost

>plug in usb stick/SD/micro SD with music
>press play to start music
>maybe a forward/backward button

that's all I really need

please

samlogic.net/articles/autorun-usb-flash-drive.htm

that involves a computer

its already too complicated

How do I skip bad blocks when copy pasting files from hard disk to hard disk on linuxx?

are all PSUs the same size in terms of where the screws go on the case?

Is "sushi grade fish" a meme? Can't I just eat any old fish raw if I want to?

What's better for a hard drive that's almost full, a drive image or a full backup?

What should you look for in a good Ethernet switch? Do you have any good recommendations for one?

I want to start using ADB for my Android. I downloaded the sdk tools zip but I can't get the sdk manager to show up. After some small research, I started to think I that needed to download something extra. Should I be using Apache Ant or Java Eclipse for this?

How the fuck do I sort all my pirated movies? They just kinda get bunched up into a folder and don't look nice. Is there any program that allows me to have a good looking and organized digital movie collection?

Really stupid one for you all.
What browser are you guys using on Android now?
I was using dolphin but I'm having a lot of problems with it now.

Go back to firefox, quit listening to anything relating to sjws, and install the usual scripts and addons. Get USI as well.

Okay thanks.
But I'm not aware what sjws have to do with browsers.

The devs are known as sjws, and some people get into autistic fits of rage over their shit. Seen it somewhere here. Just use firefox and ignore all the notifications and 'news'.

If my monitor has issues and I do a printscreen, would the image look like the messed up monitor?

I'm pretty sure, but you can just put the case and psu into pcpartpicker and it will tell you if there are any compatibility issues.

unfortunately there aren't that many nice browsers on android.
If your device has a snapdragon processor, I would seriously recommend using a CAF chromium build. CS Browser is an open source one on the play store.

If your phone does not have a snapdragon chip, then honestly just something like chrome beta or dev would be the best.

Use lightning if you care about foss and don't have a snapdragon device.

kek

I needed that

no

Yes the screw holes are standard, but the dimensions of the PSU aren't.

Flash drives tend to involve computers.

Depends on your use case. I'm guess if you are just interesting in preserving the files, if so then do a file backup. If you want to preserve what is on the desk exactly as it is, then disk image. Note, it is only practical to do a disk image if the disk is unmounted because any changes to the disk during your imaging could possible result in a corrupted image.

not the same guy but what if i have an old ass case from a prebuilt computer

if I were you I would open up the case and measure how much space you have for the psu.
Then, when you're looking for psu's to buy just check their sizes and make sure they can fit.

pls
I need those tools to turn on my phone without a button.

very logical answer, thanks

What is your use case, required number of ports, and required speed? I've had good experiences with name brand and off brand switches, and bad experiences with other name brand and off brand switches.

I used this a few years ago: couchpota.to/

Not sure how it handles existing collections.

Can I connect my car's speaker box to a computer? If yes, how?

yes, but you'll need an amp with the right connections and enough juice to drive the speakers

Directly as in Computer audio out directly to the speakers? No, you need an amp.

Oh shit, I haven't thought about the power at all. What amp do I need? Where do I start looking?

Depends on what the speakers are rated for. I think pretty much anything that takes aux audio (basically all amps) will do. I'm not an audio nerd so I can't be more help, sorry.

Does this mean the drive is dying?

Yup, although there is a small chance it is the storage controller on your motherboard, but probably not.

just finished my computer, everything looks good but when I turn it on, it runs for 5-10 seconds then just restarts

attatch mobo speaker, listen for series of beeps, look up mobos beep codes

I don't have a mobo speaker though

Which torrent client should I use? Which should I avoid?

I installed Ubuntu to my old shitty netboot to avoid throwing it in the trash because it was so slow on Windows 8 it was totally useless.

Anyways I know nothing about Linux. I was thinking it was Windows with a purple tint and was stunned and dismayed to find out I had to use some fucking DOS console to install flash. Is there a Linux basic guide somewhere?

Where is the best place to download Windows ISOS?

from ms

Is liquid cooling better than plain old fans?

Depends on what you are going for.

I mean activated ones.

no you don't shitstain, you need an untouched, official iso and then use a trusted activator from mydigitallife

shit, I read mean as need

>mydigitallife
That's what I needed, thank you rapist

i've been getting BSOD sometimes. i had two of them in two days until installed another stick of ram, which fixed the problem for about a month. recently it happened again and then seemed fine for a week, but then happened again today.

i ran blue screen viewer which said it was caused by ntoskrnl.exe

do i have a bad stick of ram?

Usually one comes with the motherboard in the bag of extra parts. It is a little attached to a header by two short wires usually.

You can install that from the GUI package manager but most guides are going to use the console. Or you could just install chrome and use their built in flash. Or you could go back to windows because you clearly want something that is exactly what you are familiar with.

Enjoy your builtin malware.

anyone? I looked it up online and it doesnt seem to be the front connectors or the ram
this is the second motherboard I had to buy because the last one had broken pins, and the result of the was turning on for a split second then shutting off indefinitely, which isn't the case here
could the cpu itself be fucked?

Probably. Download Memtest86 onto a flashdrive and run it for a few hours to confirm.

Is your heatsink detached? It might only take 5-10 seconds to thermal without one.

Currently have fx 6300 @ 4.2ghz and gtx 770 2gb

Should I upgrade to i5 7500 and an rx 480 4gb for 1080p gaming, or should I just get an i5 7600k/7500 and wait for a better gpu to be available?

For gaymen purposes

double checked, its fully attached

Is your PSU rated for enough power? Is there another one you can try?

I'm using this tutorial to learn SDL2 lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/04_key_presses/index.php

And I'm having trouble using images in my project. I have the relevant images in a folder called "images", which I've placed in the XCode Project.

I can't seem to load the images without putting the full filepath... Is there a workaround for this?

gKeyPressSurfaces[ KEY_PRESS_SURFACE_DEFAULT] = loadSurface ("SDL");
if( gKeyPressSurfaces[ KEY_PRESS_SURFACE_DEFAULT ] == NULL)
{
printf("Failed to load default image! \n"); //This leads to an error
}

It depends on how far into the POST (Power-on Self-test) your getting and what if any errors you see on screen. If you see nothing on screen, then you need beep codes to figure out what's happening for certain.

only other one i've got is the one im using currently, and the wattage is more than enough for it

Recently got an EVGA 1070 because I heard good things about their support, didn't really know anything about the thermal issues. Would Newegg allow me to exchange it for another brand, or am I pretty much shit out of luck?

Is the SeaSonic SS-650RT a good psu? can't seem to find a proper review for it (in english at least)

yeah, it doesn't get far enough for any errors to appear on screen, or anything at all for that matter
god fucking dammit, guess I need to order a mobo speaker
I'm already late with this computer as it is

Call the chdir function to change the current working directory of the program to the directory containing your images directory. Then you can use relative paths.

stackoverflow.com/questions/13225500/how-to-change-the-working-directory-to-the-location-of-the-program

Some motherboards will have 2 fourteen-segment displays that display the hexdex post codes. I'm guessing your board doesn't have that.

I would seriously consider trying a different power supply even if you have to do a temp swap.

Thanks for the link! I ended up just changing the "working directory" of the project through the "Project->Scheme->Edit Scheme-> Change Working Directory"

Why does my graphics card refuse to update? I have installed and uninstalled the drivers for god knows how long now. And it just recently started to crash my PC, kicking me to a blue screen and then restarting, without the newly reinstalled drivers taking effect.

Should I just upgrade to another GPU? Are all AMD graphics cards like this?

That's literally true of anything in life, faggot.

Looks like RAM prices went up by 10 euros every 4GB in yurop, does someone knows why?

That's usually correct.

Oops, this was meant for you

That will work when launching from the IDE, but not anywhere else.

alright, ill give the psu swap a try
fucking Murphy's Law, ive never had this much trouble building a PC before

faggot tax

I need a new toaster, what would Sup Forums recommend? I'm not sure if this is a /ck/ question or not.

How do I start making useful shit right away with my knowledge in ruby? Is it bad to follow youtube tutorials? I made a shitty javascript web extension like 5 days ago and haven't done shit since, but I really want to develop useful stuff, not just exercises from textbooks. I have pretty babby-tier knowledge and don't understand the first thing about actual development for real things.
pls help.

My firefox tabs suddenly went black. Literally the only thing I did that was out of the ordinary was that I turned my monitor off and on again to check for dust. Weirdest thing is, it's random. Sometimes they display, and then they go black.

Any idea what could be causing it?

Who knows? This stuff happens all the time. Maybe a factory in China shut down. Maybe a fab in Taiwan switched to making a different kind of chip. Maybe a village in Thailand where they assemble the sticks got swept away by a flood. Maybe a rare earth mineral mine in africa got shut down by a rebel group. Maybe a strike at a port somewhere is holding up deliveries.

Point is that the supply chains for these sort of things crisscross the globe and have all sort of weird bottlenecks. It could be any or all of these.

Cast ye not pearls before swine.

Once you go black...

Only firefox? The monitor thing could be a coincidence. If you are having issues with other programs it could be your video card.

GPU?

I mean I figured it out, just a little bewildered I had to use a dos prompt like I did in the early 90's.

Windows gets shittier every iteration I'm willing to adapt to avoid their garbage products.

how do you build and install a program from multiple packages?
do i go ./configure for each individual package and then
make
make install

or
./configure & make for each package then
make install

or am i missing something

Weird, the problem seems to be linked with the classic theme. I disabled that and now I don't have a problem with the tabs, at least. What a strange thing.

pls help lads

Would relabeling an ext4 partition wipe any data?

was comparing some amazon price keepers, many sticks of ram had this slow and progressive rise of 10/15 eur from august to now

I somehow smell kosher

Nah this shit happens all the time. I've been building computers for 15 years. Sometimes the RAM is cheap, sometimes not. Sometimes disks are expensive, sometimes not. The prices will probably start trending down in a few months.

For instance, the motors in almost all harddrives are made by one company in Thailand. There were floods that took out their factories in 2010ish and harddrives became incredibly expensive for almost a year. In this case, the cause

I hope so, I made a terrible decision to settle with 4gb when it was cheap

btw you made me remember the fire at the hynix plant of some years ago, prices went crazy for a pretty long time

what's that reaction image of the guy with both of his hands on his cheeks while grinning

I see a lot of "languages" that seem to just be a popular language with a couple of new libraries. How the fuck can people claim that they've made a new language when it's identical to the original language?

"sushi grade" involves snap freezing to kill off any parasites, which may still be alive in less treated raw fish.

I have 8GB RAM but 4GB are showing up as Hardware Reserved. I just installed a 1070.

What gives?

But what if I buy frozen fish and thaw it?

>He fell for the 4GB 1070 meme
Haven't you learned anything after the 3.5GB meme?

Nigga it's an 8GB, I'm talking about my system RAM.