How would you recommend a lifelong windows baby completely move to linux? I've used Fedora on my laptop and I like it...

How would you recommend a lifelong windows baby completely move to linux? I've used Fedora on my laptop and I like it. But what about desktop? How do you do it?

I do it by being severely autistic.

Same way with laptop. Wtf kind of question is this? Fedora will work great on both. You might want to use the MATE desktop environment instead of Gnome 3 because it feels better suited to desktop.

I too would like to know.
I've used dual boot on my laptop for a while, but I haven't taken the jump to putting linux on the desktop yet.

You know

My programs I'm used to

My 1.5TB of games

My Steam

Just how do you do it so it's not shit trying to figure stuff out

Eyy
Someone saved my picture of my stallman summoning circle

It worked once, he appeared in the middle, ate all my little debbie snack cakes and started going door to door handing out eeepc's

install solus

Buy another HDD/SSD, stick it in your desktop and install Fedora to that disk. It'll allow you to boot into Fedora and into your Windows install

Get a second Hard drive. Put it in your desktop and connect it. DISCONNECT your windows Hard Drive
for now. Install your favorite distro which seems to be Fedora. Run the updates and get everything set up
the way you want. Now shut down and reconnect your windows HD. Use your boot menu to choose
which hard drive to start from when you power up. That's the safe way and keeps both Windows and
Linux separate from each other. It's safer that way.

One thing i didn't say. This will make migration a lot easier. You can move files as you wish.

Damn wishing I wouldn't have canceled those $20 Dell SSDs now.

I have 4 drives, 1 has the OS and other is mass storage for stuff. Can I access the other drives when I'm in either OS? Or do I need to pick?

Don't do this, its for retards and completely unnecessary, just pay attention to which drive you are partitioning.

I want to get rid of windows I just need to know how I can play all my games and music's and stuff

I wouldn't unless you are doing specific dev work. I found that I was able to do a lot more dev work with less problems on linux when using open source tech (this will probably start changing though)

I found I could use the built in package managers pretty easily to set up servers and other stuff.

That being said, there are a lot of driver issues I don't have to worry about with windows that would piss me off to trouble shoot on linux.

I like using windows, it work well with what I need and unless there is a real specific need to switch, I can't see why you would.

Don't be a faggot. Sure it's not absolutely neccessary, but it is the safest way.

You can access your drives from any OS. And a lot of games can be played from steam on Linux, but you need to be sure that what you want to play can be done without windows before you completely abandon it. Some people don't realize what they're getting into when they make the jump. If you want, just back up your pictures and music to one of your non-OS HDs and simply format your windows HD and install Fedora.

What are they talking about?

I just enjoy using Linux

Not gonna switch in school laptop, and I don't think I'm doing much that's time sensitive on my desktop

Fucking around disconnecting hard drives isn't easier or safer, you are just retarded.

Anyone who is new to Linux should filter this asshat.

1. Since you are so stupid that you may format the wrong drive, you could unplug the wrong drive.
2. If the system isn't using EFI it may not be using disk specific UUID and will fail to boot when you plug the other drive back in.
3. You are a fucking moron.

buy a cheap-o laptop and throw some linux on it, ubuntu variant
immerse yourself and try and use whenever possible

Wrong

I didn't read the entire OP
just jump the gun on it you baby backed little bitch

I would then just echo the advice of other anons and use a separate harddrive/get a different box to run linux on.

Ok guys, but part of it is I want to get away from Windows. I only have half my steam library compatible with Linux, do I need to keep windows for that? I heard of something called wine that may help with it?

The user below does have a point, although he just sounds really angry
I do think there is merit in not messing with certain bios settings and boot drives.
Anytime you use Windows, you run a boot loader and there are some things in that routine that are not accessible to a user.

No, don't waste your time with Wine. If you want to keep your Windows only games, dual boot.

You don't have to do that at all. What are you doing here? Just shrink the disk you're wanting to install it to and install to the unallocated space then use grub to dual boot. If you ever need to nuke it you can from Windows and then it's 2 commands in your repair cli and poof your boot system is fixed.

Maybe, but I bet you'll run into software update issues if they make some patches on the windows side.

This is one reason I'm not a big fan of platforms and even less a fan of trying to make other platforms behave like they're something else.

Also, hope that no breaking changes come down the pipe that require a good chunk of wine to modified. I like open source, but I've had plenty of unpleasant experiences with support

In the event that something goes wrong during the shrink or partitioning, OP is gonna have a hell of a time getting a working system again.

Then you just have partitions sizes to worry about and potential damages to system recovery and the master boot record.

Not if he dual boots with separate disks

That's my point. Partitioning a HD can be difficult and for someone new to linux, they could seriously fuck everything up and be back to formatting the whole fucking drive, losing everything.

I guess I'm gonna buy a separate SSD then, I can't loose Everything

Well, that's why I'm suggesting he install Linux on a separate disk. It can be difficult but if he's using GParted, he'll know which disk is empty and which is filled with some data. A fresh disk will show up as one big block of unallocated space. You'd have to be a special kind of stupid to tell the installer to install on the wrong disk.

Good deal, user. Take your time to make sure you're doing it right. Otherwise you'll be punching yourself in the balls later.

I tried using GParted before to wipe clean a boot USB and I couldn't figure it out. That program sucks

Well, I'm only 19, kinda doing it know so I don't have any serious windows crutches later on

I never understood, whats the point of linux if windows does everything I need it to do?

if there was cool shit to do on linux I'd use it, but its all just work. that type of thing doesn't appeal to me. why would I use something that is harder and limited when I can just use something that is easy and does everything I need

>muh security
>muh bot net

really?

You're special, son. Try partitioning with fdisk instead and see if that's any easier.

Just embrace the fact that you have no interest in learning how your computer's software works and just buy a mac. They're perfect for little basic bitches like you that only use it for Facebook and email.

Jesus user, just use Windows. Come on. Seriously. Windows made for you.

Yeah I don't like windows and if I need to do whistleblowing of any sort I don't wanna have a past

Also I don't support shitty business practices

No Microsoft is bad

Then go with Mac. If your google-fu is so weak you can't figure out GParted then you should pack your toys and go home. No one wants to play with you

Mac's are shit dude. I want more functionality, not less

Well then you need to do what the rest of us did. Sack up, Google what you need to learn, break what breaks, Google how to fix it, then learn from your mistakes.

Does the Windows baby want ot move to GNU/Linux?

If not, forget it.

If so, take some time to find out why. What needs are not being met, or could be met better. Then proceed by trying whatever would best meet those needs.

Tip: use GOOD, spare computer for GNU/Linux. Do not try dual-booting on the Windows box.

back when I was a kid I had time to fix my laptop all the time. Now its a fucking pain in the ass because I have to do things with my laptop and do not have time for linux to be garbage.

Windows supreme, mothafucka.

Linux for servers.

Strait up Gentoo son.