You have 5 seconds to explain why you are not using Alacritty yet

You have 5 seconds to explain why you are not using Alacritty yet.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty
pastebin.com/2uBMnm14
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> Rust

G
T
F
O

Windows 10 at work and I can't be arsed to change my urxvtd config at home since it just werks.

I compiled it and tried it out earlier today and I'm not impressed.

It crashes on trying to display a lot of different examples of binary data and was consistently slightly slower than urxvt at printing 10 million lines of text despite the developer's claims to the contrary.

I don't see any reason to use it

>Announcing Alacritty, a GPU-accelerated terminal emulator
>GPU-accelerated terminal emulator
>GPU-accelerated
>terminal emulator

For what reason?
They had to realize how dumb that is during development.

Apparently some people care about how fast their terminal emulator can render text.

Programming fonts' ligatures aren't supported in VTE yet.

I don't know what Alacritty is.

There, that was less than 5 seconds

its bretty gud mang

I care about how fast my terminal emulator can render text

It's why I still use rxvt despite all of its horrible font rendering issues and unicode bugs over something like libvte, because although libvte looks pretty, it's so cripplingly slow that it actually bottlenecks stuff and makes e.g. vim annoying to use

>cripplingly slow
Even my Chromebook with xfce terminal is snappy and responsive, what toaster are you running?

>Even my Chromebook with xfce terminal is snappy and responsive, what toaster are you running?
Dual Xeon E5 2670 (16-core), 64 GiB of 1333 MHz DDR2 regECC and a GTX 970

Post result of time seq 10000000?

seq 10000000 0.10s user 3.24s system 99% cpu 3.343 total

on mine

If you decide to give Alacritty a try, I'd be interested to know if there's a noticeable speed up for you.

Oh, I should probably mention that this was for a 1329 x 1062 terminal

github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty

Because I'm using kitty, written in C and Python instead of pozlang

Throw me an ebuild and I'll tell you how slow it is. But if is any indication, it's slower.

Never heard of it. Will install gnome-terminal is shit and urxvt never works right.

I've had no idea this existed.
Thanks

Not a homosexual

Gave it a try, it's about as slow as st for me (i.e. about 3x as slow as urxvt). Probably fast enough in practice, but it certainly isn't breaking any records.

>kitty is designed to run from source, for easy hackability.
Literally nearly vomited. I fucking hate python cancer so much.

>OpenGL-based terminals
I can't wait for my terminals to become unusable when hacking on my OpenGL drivers in the future. This is gonna be great

Urxvt is faster for me and works perfectly. Unsure why I'd switch.

>works perfectly
How did you set up your urxvt to render unicode in a non-shit way? That's what I'm still struggling with to this day

pic related, although sadly I couldn't get the font sizes to match because I have no fucking clue how to change the vte font size

Hmm, I tried updating the urxvt font size instead, now it actually renders in a less horrifying way. Sadly, that makes my normal text larger than I'd prefer as well

I admit that perfectly was a hyperbole, replacing it with "well enough that I'm not annoyed" would be more honest. Try this?
pastebin.com/2uBMnm14

>anti aliasing and hinting
*audibly vomits*

Looks fine to me. Then again, I'm half blind.

Terminal.app is good enough for me

Because a terminal emulator is a retrocompatibility program for older applications and compatibility with the old features and standards those applications depend on is more important than printing speed or how many ricey japanese bitmap fonts you can specify for displaying anime OST titles in ncmcpcmcpcmcp

Moreover, if you are printing millions of lines of text at once you are using a terminal wrong. If it's big, long, and important, direct to a text file so you can actually use grep instead of hacky built-in search and scrollback features. If it's not, /dev/null.

So xterm > *.

Now If I wanted to do actual work beyond fucking with shell commands I'd use a GUI like everyone else. Even vim and emacs come as GUIs that are functionally better than their terminal counterparts, people. It's time to leave the 80s behind.

Also |pagers fucking exist, so you can print 20 lines of text at once and jump around with commands instead of scrolling through 10000 million when not measuring your e peen with 'time cat src/gnu/coreutils/ls/main.c'

>using a terminal emulator written by pajeet
POO IN LOO

>no scroll back
>if you add tmux (the recommended way of getting scrollback) it's 3x slower than the alternatives

Since the HN frontpage is covered in garbage toy terminal emulators today I'm guessing someone recently wrote a "how to write a terminal emulator" tutorial. Now fuck off with your shitty second year compsci project.

>glfw.c:166:10: error: implicit declaration of function ‘glfwWaitEventsTimeout’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
else glfwWaitEventsTimeout(time);

.. that's why

>if you add tmux (the recommended way of getting scrollback) it's 3x slower than the alternatives
It's already 3x slower than the alternatives

also,
>no scrollback
lmao, even worse than st