/fglt/ Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Poll
strawpoll.me/12048897

Other urls found in this thread:

pkgsrc.org/
winehq.org/announce/2.0-rc4
csapp.cs.cmu.edu/
beej.us/guide/bgc/output/html/singlepage/bgc.html
cs.cmu.edu/~112/schedule.html
arjenvankol.com/dvorak.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>ubuntu the thread
Old one hasn't been dropped by maintainers.

First for Freedom.

linux is breaking your dominant hand to get out of cuffs

OP here, not the poll

note*

is there even a discord?

>poll
we had an IRC, nobody cared about and it was merged to sqt so I don't think people would care

on the other hand, IRC isn't something normalfags would use anyway

No, we'll have to make one. Problem is
#1: It's closed sourced, leaves an uncomfortable feeling while free and opensource alternative exists
#2. Discord is mainly for gamers

IRC is not secure afaiac

We should have a poll because it will have a better moderation

umatrix is being a cunt and won't let me activate the strawpoll captcha, but I was gonna vote the bottom option because an IRC would be neat.

This thread is pathetic. It is not about programming. It's just a bunch of computers illiterates and first semesters memeing about whatever they just learned.

A quick search shows that most arguments used here are not original and have been copied from some trendy tech blog or other shit site.

The only real programming questions I have seen so far are from beginners(it's fine to be a beginner btw).

This entire site is shit and I don't know why anyone would regularly come here.

voice chat would be bretty cool t b h. Then you would be blessed by my virgin voice and stuttering.

>I don't know why anyone would regularly come here.
Old habits die hard

>Voice chat
>Sup Forumsfglt turns into Sup Forumsfglt

>This thread is pathetic. It is not about programming.
Yes, it's not about programming... It's a GNU/Linux thread. More of a sysadmin thing than a developer thing.

>The only real programming questions I have seen so far are from beginners(it's fine to be a beginner btw).

Why are you even bringing up programming? There's /dpt/ for that.

>dpt
>programming

do you not want to hear my stuttering? you even get to hear my neighbors doing their domestic abuse - dude really knows how to body slam people.

pic

Pasted on the wrong thread, sorry desu, I usually put more effort on my shit post but I should already be sleeping. Almost posted the Debian vs Arch one on the /dpt/.

>Sup Forumsfglt turns into Sup Forumsfglt
theres already a fork running Sup Forumsfglt

>Not calling the police

For real?

Alright let's actually make a experimental voice chat channel.

Excuse me for my American/A**tralian clusterfuck of an accent

an*

oh fuck i gotta buy a mic.

>He doesn't have a mobile phone

>carrying proprietary software with you everywhere
You don't belong here.

>He

my phone is too old

>"GoboLinux is a modular Linux distribution - it organizes the programs in a new, logical way. Instead of having parts of a program thrown at /usr/bin, other parts at /etc and yet more parts thrown at /usr/share/something/or/another, each program gets its own directory tree, keeping them all neatly separated and allowing the user to see everything that's installed in the system and which files belong to which programs in a simple and obvious way."

This is distrowatch's description of a distro on its top 100 right now. I'm not about to switch to it (content with opensuse) but I am curious as someone who knows little of the more intricate parts of Linux - are they onto something by organizing it this way? Or is it a gimmick with little to no benefit, or perhaps even worsening the system?

If we are voice chatting, how are we supposed to imply that we are grentexting? (or greenspeaking)

are you really gonna buy a mic just to talk to /fglt/? that's kind of cute desu

Yes, lets set up video chatting as well. We did that on another website I used to visit

It makes much harder for software to work together. It will also require to patch all software or symlink files to the old directories.

It's a pretty nice distro concept actually. But the support may suck

The file system structure mostly makes sense as it is. There's slight variance with different distros, and a bit more with BSD, but I don't know if a change that major would be good.

>voice chatting
That's for normies.

monotone voice / just saying it how you'd type a greentext

>he doesn't know how to greentext in voice chat

becomes

[monotone] "he doesn't know how to greentext in voice chat"

you can kinda do it with inflection, I'm probably explaining it poorly

You don't want to sound like a 14 y/o game streamer with shitty mic, user

/p/lebbit The Thread

>This thread with like 6 replies is pathetic! A quick search here reveals a bunch of interjecting and copied AT&T Unix tools, and nothing is written in javascript. Why does anybody come here and not to /r/java

I actually frequent an IRC that's almost entirely autists and a handful of them voice chat rather often. Some even prefer it to text, I think.

Make a Ring channel

They are just normies trying to get into our cool kids club.

I just got a Macbook air since I need one for work purposes, but I would like to have an actual functional OS to use day to day. I could always dual boot Windows 7 but I would prefer to have a Linux distro to do most of my other work on.
Does anybody have any recommendations for what would work well on my Fagbook?

Bought that book recently, it was expensive as fuck but worth it.

Get Xubuntu, do your normal stuff

>implying most of you retards aren't normies

Does anybody actually still dual-boot in $current_yr because we have these things called VMs now

Hardware support is handled in the kernel, so every distro should be pretty equal unless it uses out of date packages.

I can personally recommend Arch. It's pretty comfy. You'll probably want to use a third party installer. Arch Anywhere is nice, and there's also Architect.

Mac OS is actually fairly usable as well, though. I haven't got it on any of my machine currently, but I spent a bit of time with it in school. It's got the basics like vi and openssh out of the box. Man pages, too. I think it even comes with emacs installed, because I can't imagine the tech guys at my school just happened to put it on all the computers.

If you're used to GNU/Linux you'll definitely want a third party package manager for Mac OS. I've heard this one is the best: pkgsrc.org/ There's also Homebrew and Macports.

I guess I may have fallen behind a bit, but i don't want my hardware to turn into a toaster because I'm trying to use it as a fancy emulator

What sort of stuff does it cover? How long does it take to read?

WINE 2.0 rc4 released.

>Bugfixes only, we are in a code freeze
winehq.org/announce/2.0-rc4

>It will also require...symlink files to the old directories.

Unless I'm understanding symlinks wrong, could it be the case that they didn't really change anything and instead just made, iunno, a table of contents of sorts for the system? Nice, but purely cosmetic and unnecessary?

I just started teaching myself python, and I decided to dive head first into linux. I want to create a simple, bare-bones development vm so I won't be distracted. I've only started reading about linux, and so far I've:

Installed Ubuntu via the mini.iso

Ran:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential dkms linux-headers-generic linux-headers-$(uname -r)
cd /mnt
sudo mount /dev/cdrom /mnt
sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
shutdown -r now
sudo apt-get install lightdm i3 xfce4 vim mc dtrx htop

Any other suggestions? Is vim suitable for simple python projects?

Weeks to read, covers lots of low level system calls and systems programming.

It is lacking in the socket programming area but it covers processes, directories, file permissions, IPC, threads, memory, file IO, message queues

>not regonizing stale pasta

>Any other suggestions?
In regards to what?
>Is vim suitable for simple python projects?
Yes, it is. You won't see much benefit for small projects but it's good to learn if you want to take advantage of it when its power is needed.

I'm eager to ask why do you need a graphical environment in VM for fucking around with python.

Wouldn't it be much more efficient to make it a development environment and connect to it remotely from the host OS?

Is it fairly accessible to a beginner? I'm fine with the commandline and basic system maintenance, but not much more.

I probably won't start it for a while since I'm in the middle of a different technical book someone recommended me at the moment. "Structured Computer Organization"

get tmux as well

>In regards to what?

I dunno. Both Linux and coding were completely alien to me a few days ago. I'm not familiar with any common utilities and such that are available.

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

>Is vim suitable for simple python projects?
Should be, yeah. It's also good if you can get used to using something like vim instead of a bloated IDE. It'll make you a less lazy/needy programmer.

I've never used anything other than Windows, and wanted to be able to actually use the box until I overcame the learning curve. I was hesitant to install it.

They're all pretty similar once you install them and set them up how you like. Arch is probably my pick. Like I said, once the install is over and you've got your environment all setup, they're all pretty easy, but I think Arch sticks out a bit because of how convenient the AUR is for getting slightly obscure stuff.

If you have a very good understanding of C and operating systems then yes, otherwise you would find it extremely difficult.

It is about the code behind things such as the command ls or fork etc.

>AUR
and gone is security

Well start getting comfortable with the terminal.
Think of something you'd do on your computer regularly and figure out how to do it on a terminal.
IRC is THE place to get help on linux from.

Not inherently so. A lot of AUR stuff is on Github and just more easily manageable when installed as a package.

Ah.. I can't really program at all. I just spent an hour the other day making a basic calculator in C with major help from a friend. I guess I'll save it for a few years from now.

>implying being on github adds security

Why does Mint forget the set wallpaper folder and are my desktop shortcuts gone after a reboot?

Because Mint is trash. Uninstall it.

Ah, no. I wasn't implying that. I just meant to say that a lot of AUR packages are from other places and just made more accessible, and that it's not exactly a shady place.

Have you had issues with the AUR, or at least heard of some? I understand on paper why you'd be concerned, but I'm just wondering why you're taking it so seriously.

His complaints are DE-dependent. I would never recommend Mint either, but switching your distro is rarely necessary.

>why you're taking it so seriously.
Not him but,
>why are you taking security seriously? :^)

>Not him but,

Security should definitely be taken seriously, but most of the AUR is free software, as is Arch itself. I don't think it's all that insecure. Maybe I'm the one in the wrong here, though.

We all have to start from somewhere.

>oh no, he called me out for being a retard, better tell him to go to reddit

Indeed. On that note, do you have any other books you'd recommend that a beginner? I haven't been studying all that much lately, but I really would like to become a programmer someday, and I've got a lot of free time these days.

specifying you're not someone else only even makes sense in a place where we're anonymous. what's it got to do with reddit?

>oh no, he called me out for being a retard, better tell him to go to facebook

>On that note, do you have any other books you'd recommend that a beginner?
I changed what I was gonna say partway through

*to a beginner

there is literally nothing wrong with being a redditor

what is the most portable way to play a sound file?
aplay? paplay? ffplay? mplayer?

Mac has a ton of VM software you should just use to install w/e linux distro you want instead of physically deleting/reclaiming space on your OSX drive(s).

I learned from reading:
How Linux Works, 2nd Edition
K&R 2nd edition (short book)
The Unix Programming Environment (short book, awesome and still relevant esp about sed/awk/grep filters)
CS:APP, which is a modern compsci text I can't shill hard enough because it's so good csapp.cs.cmu.edu/

And The Art of Unix Programming by ESR which covers Berkely SD plus Linux that I had to read for an OS course in school.

so far for friendly and helpful...

mpv
anyone who doesn't have mpv installed doesn't deserve anything

>what is the most portable way to play a sound file?
copy it to a mp3 player and play it

then you should not feel insulted, nor anyone else, when someone tells you to go back to l
leddit

>oh no, he called me out for being a retard, better tell him to go to googeplus
!answers

Continue learning C, it is a good beginner language because it teaches you all the details so when you move onto a higher level language you have a huge appreciation for the heavy lifting it does.

beej.us/guide/bgc/output/html/singlepage/bgc.html

>become a programmer

First you learn to program, then you learn how to program Unix/Linux whatever. Operating systems are like one big library with signals you can use to write your userland programs but you need to know how to even use a library first:

Here you go: cs.cmu.edu/~112/schedule.html (click on titles to see short lecture videos).

When you're done that you can just pick up K&R and the book in the OP

>oh no, he called me out for being a retard, better tell him to go to yahoo!answers
!guestbook

aplay used to be good, but I've been seeing it less and less in distros. I still have nightmares from when PA was cancer so I avoid it. ffplay might be the best answer, and you should update that mplayer to mpv.

>>oh no, he called me out for being a retard, better tell him to go to geocities!guestbook

I want to install a custom keyboard layout, I have the file but I have a problem with the last part.
>this is an XML file and the format is mostly
// self-explanatory
Well not so much for me, how do I exactly edit it?

Here's the text from the keyboard layout file, the other part of it are just the keysettings.

// Dvorak interational extended keyboard layout for linux
// version 1.01
// arjenvankol.com/dvorak.php
//
// Install instructions:
//
// Copy this file to your /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc directory.
// You may need root privileges to do so.
//
// Add the following line to /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.lst
//
// dvorak_intl Dvorak international extended
//
// In order to make the keyboard layout available in GNOME,
// you should also modify /etc/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86.xml
// accordingly (this is an XML file and the format is mostly
// self-explanatory).

Awesome! Thank you for the list. I'll start downloading them.

How to compile mpv manually without fucking up?
I only know basic shit like configure, make, make install, but mpv seems a bit more complex.

tl;dr somone give me a tl;dr fon compiling mpv for retards