Dual Booting Ubunutu/Windows

Jesus christ why is this shit so stupidly hard
>Can't partition the hard drive bcus windows has hidden files at the end of it
>Can't install bcus my AMD gpu doesnt have the right drivers installed with I can't install until I install Ubuntu
>Install Ubuntu but it boots to a black screen
>Find work around, Ubuntu then gets caught in login loop
>unable to fix login loop without... being able to login.

this is retarded
anyway anyone know if r9 390 even works on any linux system ever?

Just use a VM

ok. i was considering this but honestly it seems best

why would you boot linux and windows?

Do you have any tools on linux that you need to work? If not you are just wasting time and in end you will be frustated that grub fucked your entire os or patrition and you will install windows 7 from scratch.

If you want to learn linux just use VM or buy used thinkpad and play with him.

I did same shit like you amd when I succesfuly installed linux I wanted to install LAMP and somehow fucked entire system.I just sayed fucked it and installed wamp and other tools that are few buttons in exe and started being productive with them.

I was memed into "linux makes you productive"

Just stay on Windows.
Linux isn't worth the hassle.

I spent literally a day and a half trying to do this I feel validated by ur response somehow thanks user u made me feel better

I'm doing some android development stuff with friends and I couldn't generate rsa keys in windows, so I wanted to do it in Linux. Not worth it, plus i think PuTTY works fine.

It's not just for fun, it's for programming + school, but VM is easier.

Stay on whatever you find more comfortable

Dual booting is always an option, but in the end you'll use one system a lot more than the other, to the point you may be able to do whatever you need from the other system in a virtual machine. Linux happens to work pretty well on virtual machines and you seem the kind of person that would still benefit more from working on windows.

VM is easier or if you have any bucks buy used thinkpad like x220 or x201 that are around 80-200$ (depends where you buy or where are you from) and in your free time play with linux there.

lolwut

It's easy. Install ubuntu. Use grub to partition. install windows. I did this shit for no reason at like twelve years old.

Try mint or some lightweight version of ubuntu

whats the differnece between ubuntu, ubuntu mate, and mint?

Desktop environment you can have all that shit in sudo apt get install

VGA PASSTHROUGH
KVM

Does anybody have that infograph guide?

That's a really fucked setup. If you're going to use windows on a virtual machine like that, you're going to work most of the time on Linux, yet you're going to have to use either an iGPU or another GPU dedicated to that. Just so you can use a different system and avoid dual booting. It's a pretty shitty deal, just to impress a few people with the whole "hey look, I can play GTA V on linux!". What else, are you going to watch your chinese cartoons on that virtual machine as well? Do anything besides web browsing and listening to music?

This. If you want to try something new just for gigs then use a usb drive first.

I switched to Linux once I installed some new SSD's and haven't regretted it as of yet. Intel CPU AMD GPU and it just works OOTB. I use passthrough to play games which works or my games are already supported on Linux (Paradox). Anyways been running fine since the beginning of 2016.

>2017
> not having 10 computers

>Ubunutu

Make sure you have a Haswell or newer Intel CPU. AMD I don't recall what version and up you require as my last CPU that's AMD is a semi retired Phenom.

Installing Ubuntu after Windows sucks, but the other way around it works fine

thanks

Use a virtual machine. Dual booting is pointless.

>>>Can't partition the hard drive bcus windows has hidden files at the end of it
Bullshit on a stick
>>Can't install bcus my AMD gpu doesnt have the right drivers installed with I can't install until I install Ubuntu
>>Install Ubuntu but it boots to a black screen
>>Find work around, Ubuntu then gets caught in login loop
>>unable to fix login loop without... being able to login.
All your own problem. Nobody else has these problems. Did it occur to you to switch to the integrated graphics until you had drivers figured out?

>Bullshit on a stick
Actually... no, no it isn't. The disk manager on Windows will throw "hey, you can't resize this partition as you please because there are files at the end of it" which means you would either have to resize the drive with a different tool, or disable the paging file.

Wouldn't defrag fix that issue?

I had that issue half a year ago and I can say that defragging didn't work for me, but disabling virtual memory did.

1) install linux on one SSD until it works
2) add 2nd SSD to system
3) install windows to 2nd SSD
4) == profit

-- OR -- (better in most cases)

1) install linux
2) install virtual machine
3) install windows as VM

I completely reformatted my laptop and installed Linux. There's no going back for me because re-downloading and re-installing my games will take decades on my internet connection (5 Mbps/1 Mbps).

If I were you, don't bother.

If Windows feels bloated, get your Windows 7 ISO, shrink it (removing shitty services, etc) and reinstall Windows using that ISO.

does windows 10 invade my privacy even in a virtual machine?

like I'm playing my manchild games online in a win 10 virtual machine?

This. I installed Linux on an old netbook, and still have a Windows laptop, a Windows desktop, and an iMac. Not to mention tablets and old phones. I had two additional Windows laptops but they died recently.

You couldn't be more wrong actually. If there are any problems it's usually from installing windows on linux machine, for instance windows installer fucking up grub and not allowing you to boot into linux anymore.
Either way I'm amazed there are people on Sup Forums who struggle with shit like this. I could understand it 10 years ago when installing linux was shit, but nowadays it just werks. Fucking neo-Sup Forums

Jeez, I don't know dual booting is so hard for you.

It's really quite simple:
Install Windows and set up a partition for that

Then install whatever Linux distro on the rest of the disk

Then you are fucking good.

I have no idea what makes it so difficult. How old is your fucking computer?