/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread

FLAC is a literal meme and there's no audible difference compared to V0

the fuck is v0 my nigger

>Budget
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfortable enough to leave on for hours at a time preferably but not a dealbreaker if I can replace the pads.
>Sound signature
Neutral probably
>Past headphones
Don't remember exactly, just a few different pairs of cheap

MP3 V0 otherwise known simply as MP3 VBR

So I just received this beauty and they're amazing so far, let's see what the burn-in does.

AKG K550 mkii or K553
Pretty much the best closed backs for gaming unless you're wiling to spend like 500+ bucks on those Fostex massdrop exclusive memes with the wooden earcups.
The mkii was recently on sale for like 90 bucks

K553 is known for a very good soundstage for closed headphones, however I'd suggest M40x with HM5 pads

>I'll be using them for games mostly
actually nevermind, you don't want neutral for games so don't get m40x

get DT770 with a sony ECMCS3 or ZMMIC1
alternatively, get a hyperx cloud 1, which already has a detachable mic & comes with both pleather & cloth pads

M40x + HM5 pads.

What type of microphone are you looking for though.

>you don't want neutral for games so don't get m40x
what
why would he not want neutral for games

My dream headphones. I would do anything for those.
Do you own the DT990? Can you draw any comparisons?

Also take pictures

because you want v shaped for games

Not really. Low end muddies up footsteps and gunshots. Recessed mids makes said footsteps/gunshots to hear, and highs are w/e.

Unless you want immersion, but even then, the signature you enjoy music with will do fine.

Yeah I do, I haven't listened much yet but for a first comparison, the treble is more tamed and midrange is more prominent, bass is also surprisingly punchy. They're also more comfortable and better built, but that's to be expected.

i want them so bad it hurts

>Budget
>Source
Cellphone with no amp probably. I'll be listening to lewd ASMRs
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
blah
>Comfort level
Should be comfortable to leave in for hours, or fall asleep with them in
>Sound signature
Neutral
>Past headphones
Closed full size:
MDR-V6
SRH940 (currently using)

IEM:
Some shitty pair I bought for 760 yen to play rhythm games with

>or fall asleep with them in
That's a fucking terrible idea and whatever you buy will break in a month.
Just pray it doesn't break inside your ears and leaves the nozzle inside.

Gonna see if some glaring issues pop up but so far I'm very content, 500 euros well spent. They also look and feel expensive and the package plus accessories are great, you even get another pair of earpads.

I never understand why people don't use speakers on low volume for this

he doesnt want his neighbors hearing his weaboo autism asmr

buy some sound isolation?

'buy sound isolation'
w-what

sound is isolated with a seal and mass
he'd have to seal all his windows/doors and/or add a ton of large heavy shit to his house's walls.

The binaural sound is important, you need stereo headphones to recreate the sound

Okay, I can just be careful not to fall asleep then

oh fug am i retarded i'm studying impidence at wiki and can't understand properly.

am i understand it perfectly?
i just want play gaymen and music better sound.

what

fix *have to understand

p-put one speaker at each end of the bed

I don't see the problem

>Get HD600
>HD600/650 has been around for years, but gets discontinued days after I buy one
>Will probably be replaced by something better
>Mfw

>discontinued meme
Fuck off. Just like Sony V6 is discontinued. No it isn't. HD600/650 is even older and classic god-tier status.

A quality preset for LAME encoder. Highest quality variable bitrate option which averages around 245 kbps. Generally transparent, good enough to never have objectionable compression artifacts.

It's not the same
I won't be able to feel a succubus whisper sweet japanese in my ear before fellating my ear canal

Anyone had any experience with Sennheiser HD 518? How are they? I guess they won't be good for gaming?

Are you a competing FPS player?
Probably not. Any audio device is fine for gaming. Worry about music.

Sauce?

game of thrones

OriGen+ is god amp/dac

And WS99 are godphones

get in my level bitches!

>Budget
300 flexible.
>Location
US of A
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or Closed
Either is fine.
>Comfort level
Very comfy. I should be able to wear them for hours without any problems. The previous ones I had would make my ears hurt just after about an hour of use.
>Sound signature
Whatever's best for anime and Vocaloid stuff and maybe some rock although the previous headphones that I had were too bassy I think so I'm leaning mostly towards neutral but I'm not very knowledgeable about all this so I'm really leaving it up to you all for judging whatever's the most ideal sound signature for me.

Thank you.

>etymotic and sennheiser are the only males
snappheiser and eardildos are gay

>Males
>Not short haired girls

ety boy is like some gender bender yaoi dream from the 90s because of those tits

Theyre too good for gaming IMO, with gaming you can use shitters like hyper X clouds and still sound ok. At least most of games, except doom and bf4, battlefront and dice games in general which have amazing sound design and dynamic range.

How is Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 Ohm for FPS gaming?

Gave these a long listen.

Honestly I thought the silver bars on the side were THICC hard metal, but it's this hollow aluminum maybe? Doesn't feel as nice and the microphonics on it are crazy.

>the previous headphones that I had were too bassy
Don't leave important shit out if you want help, which headphones?

I'm still undecided between:

>hyperx cloud (66€)
>dt770 pro (122€ + 7€ ZMMIC1)

I need them for streaming and not to sound like a butt trying to spell words
games and heavymetal music
I've read negative reviews for both the zalman and the hyperx microphone

how's the general build quality?I'd like them to last
I'm reading around and it seems these hyperx are good for real despite the price tag

someone who got both can help me choose?

Beyerdynamic DT 770 or ATH M40x? for watching films. I like the various cables that ship with the M40x but the quality of the DT770 seem to be better

I'm planning on buying DT 770's but I am not sure about the impedance I will need.
I have a Xonar DG so i have some sort of amp, and i also don't mind spending a little more later on on a real one.
As a bass player I will also use them on my bass amp. I am sure that thing will drive anything, right?
I don't plan on bringing them outside so phone and laptop should not be an issue considering the impedance I will need.

What I want are the best DT 770's I can get.
So my question is, am I better of getting the 80 Ohms and be safe or get the 250 Ohms and have a slightly better headphone at the risk of needing an dedicated amp.
Also, are the differences between them even worth consideration?

I now own a a pair of HD 558's(mod). I do like them but I want a slightly more fun headphone that is also closed and better suits my bass practice needs.

>i bought this shit headphone because of its planar magnetic driver technology
>hey at least i can mod it to sound acceptable
never mind the shit construction and sensitivity

if there's one headphone "hype" i do not understand, it's those. and the new focal flagships.

Some cheap Philips, nothing worth mentioning.

the ZMMIC's sound quality is great, IMO a bit better, but the build quality is ass. the clip broke for me in like six months or so, but my headphone cable is pretty big and the mic still works fine, but it's having trouble staying on there

the DT770 build quality is far superior to the hyperx cloud

If you're streaming, you might want something more serious than either of those mics though
look at something like a yeti snowball

770 has a better sound profile for movies

80 is best bet, because there might be a time you want to take it on the go with your DAP/Phone/laptop

it is worth mentioning because people might know how bassy they are in relation to other headphones, and as such they might be able to know what amount of bass is too much for you personally

previous headphones isn't to judge you for your bad taste or your mistakes, it's simply to see what you had before and what you disliked or liked about them so you know what to look for differently in other headphones

>80 is best bet, because there might be a time you want to take it on the go with your DAP/Phone/laptop

As i said, there is not.

Sound is definitely not a complaint
And got it for cheap, this is a fun ass tinkering project

>DT770
>DT770
>DT770
Fuck you guys

Budget
$100 max

>Location
USA

>Source
Phone and laptop

>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfortable to use for a few hours

>Sound signature
Neutral

Shure se215

Are they as modular in terms of replacement parts as the 990s?

2nd. Shure se215 are great value.

I assume so, everything is detachable and has the same size the rest of beyers do.

Are planars just another jew meme?

Hd600

>Headphones

What does it feel like to have such a tiny amplifier?

What am I supposed to be plugging into these two things

K240 or SHP9500?

Then explain why MadDogs and Argons sell

Stick to your dynamic drivers poorfag

Does /hpg/ crossfeed?

No. It's a cool technology that has its upsides and downsides, much like everything else.

Biggest downside being cost of course.

Both planars and electrostatic attempt to solve the biggest problem with normal, dynamic speakers/headphones, which is the distortion of the diaphragm's physical shape.

Does it make an audible difference? Sure. It is justified? Probably not, unless you are wealthy enough that an extra $1000 means nothing to you.

Dt770

how do burn-in?

Really?

yea I have no idea. do they come with the purchase

Don't listen to anyone telling you to leave them on for hours or that shit about pink noise - it's a bunch of rubbish.

Here's the proper way to burn in headphones:
Slowly move a lit lighter in a circular motion beneath the outside of each driver for about 2 minutes each - make sure it's close enough for the flame to contact the surface of the headphones.

The heat will loosen the driver's internal materials, allowing you to attain a much smoother, more even sound without having to leave them on for days straight.

can you show me?

what burn in even does in the begin with? ruin the headphones? smoothen the bass? kills the sound?

>too dumb to follow simple instructions without handholding

I think an audiophile community like ours might be a little too advanced for you, kid.

Show me, Im enthusiast

>Budget
100 - 150 or less
>Location
US
>Source
PC + E10K
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I would be wearing them for extended periods of time.
>Sound signature
I guess V for gaming?
>Past headphones
Just bought SPH9500's not digging the loose headphones though or open back

hyperx cloud vs cloud II vs cloud core vs logitech g430

which one ?

also some reviews say that the mic is too quite, can someone confirm/deny ?

I recommend a candle.
Butane flames sometimes reacts with materials in the drivers
Candle flames leave a sort of residue that adds warmth to the sound

Can anyone recommend some pads for some Urbanite XL's? The HM5 pads seem to be far too big. The diameter of the cup is only about 3.5 inches - 89/90mm.

Got some noname headphones for christmas that literally were never mentioned on the internet, except for some stores selling them. How would I go on with testing them so I can compare them to others?

Listen to to something on them

Synthetic tests doesn't matter, what matters is how you personally like the actual sound of them

recently bought a pair of akg k550s and the left ear feels more hollow and kind of, I dare say it, broken. I've tried balancing the headphones and to some extent it's worked. The sound quality on my iphone is great, but my computer leaves a lot to be desired. Buyers remorse is starting to creep up on me, what do?

thye're shit. don't waste your time testing them.

One retailer has said HD650 is discontinued, no one has said HD600 is going to be discontinued.

I also heard that HD5xx are getting the axe as well.

not a headphone question but:

when i'm not using my headphones I like to use a couple of speakers and a subwoofer but the set I'm using now the cable is starting to go and I have to wiggle and zip tie it in a precarious place just to get left and right.

is there a cheap set of 2.1 speakers i can get that won't make me cry? logitech or whoever?

Yes.

Sony V6 has it.

Most receivers have shit headphone ports, just so you know.

Anymore suggestions?

They just released a HD5xx refresh - HD 559, HD 569, HD 579 and HD 599.

We really need a speakers template.

>budget
>location - desk or living room
>amp or active

>>still arguing for MP3
>>never going to know or understand the awesomeness that is 24/96

That's a great idea, but the /hpg/ overlords would probably just tell us to make a new thread.

>budget
$100-150? flexible
>location
desktop, home office
>amp or active
active. I want an amp but I haven't decided on one yet. I assume this is an annoying complication that I'd have to solve first so let's just say active for the sake of discussion. If I get an amp, I can always use that for headphones only.

One is your and the other is.

>he actually thinks 24/96 audio makes a difference over 16/44.1

>They just released a HD5xx refresh - HD 559, HD 569, HD 579 and HD 599.
They were also getting rid of the stock during Xmas and were selling most of them for a huge discount.

They're dead just like HD6xx is dead.