So just bought my first mac, tell me more about the power of Unix Sup Forums!

So just bought my first mac, tell me more about the power of Unix Sup Forums!

Other urls found in this thread:

appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/06/apple-macbook-pro-saves-man-from-bullet-in-florida-airport-shooting
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Faster boot times, no dll hell, force quitting apps does not take forever. Stable architecture and better privacy with less viruses...There is probably so much more stuff i am not aware about.

Yeah noticed that force quitting something is near instant, also boot times doesn't really matter since i rarely turn it off.

What mac did you buy?

2016 macbook pro non touchbar.

It can stop bullets

Good choice. Don't believe the ignorant plebs on here when they try to tell you otherwise. They don't know about technology.

OP here
It's overpriced if you compare spec to spec with a windows pc, but i really the design and the screen, and that's a bit harder to out a price on. Also the touchbar is for plebs imo.

Don't live in 'murica, do not need it to stop bullets.

It's what I learned in school so development is a lot easier.

Yeah. You can use all the dongles to swat the away...

Can it run linux?

dunno, don't care

Don't forget touchpad that's miles ahead of any other laptop

The touch bar isn't much of a functional benifit, but it's pretty satisfying/pleasant to use. I'd put it in the same category as the macbook's generally better design feel as being hard to put a price on - just depends how much expendable income you have and how much a better feeling is worth to you

But I need to install gentoo on it
>force touch meme

True, but i value the bigger battery and actual buttons more than the touchbar, but touch id would sure be great!

I think most linux distros run on mac

unparalleled dongle support

this model was a pre-dongle model though
appleinsider.com/articles/17/01/06/apple-macbook-pro-saves-man-from-bullet-in-florida-airport-shooting

but why? OSX should run almost all Linux software

I know. I'm talking about the "courageous features" of the latest ones :^)

This, it's a epic portable potato, wouldn't use a desktop Mac but never going to use anything else for a laptop

>portable potato

What did he mean by this?

>>force touch meme
Honestly for 99% of use (clicking and moving the cursor) it feels just like a physical button, it's only when you turn the machine off and click that you can really notice it doesn't move.

100%*

>mac
Wrong board

Nice meme!

>install macOS Sierra
Doesn't have the same ring to it

It doesn't move?

I didn't want to over sell it too much, but it really is so comfy.

Force Touch trackpads vibrate under the surface to simulate a real click. The benefit is that you can click anywhere on the pad. It's indistinguishable from a real click.

/thread

>t. mactoddler

I don't get why your so obsessed with the whole 't. X' meme, it's stupid.

>t. mactoddler

Hi OP, just install homebrew and never install a program manually again. Some examples
>brew update
>brew install homebrew/php/php56
>brew install postgresql
>brew cask search chrome
>brew cask install google-chrome
>brew install --HEAD --with-bundle --with-bluray-support --with-libdvdread --with-little-cms2 --with-lua --with-bundle mpv
>brew linkapps mpv

UNIX is really only super powerful if you're programming IMHO. Honestly just having a cheat sheet of command line arguments and seeing what they can do is a good place to start. Plus installing software packages from the command line is a hell of a lot easier than doing it the manual way (90% of the time it's literally just copy paste a command). The command line along with workspaces make OSX amazing for actual productivity.

install and learn homebrew

> youtube-dl
> ffmpeg
> reaver
> screenfetch for ebin threads

>t. mactoddler

>tell me more about the power of Unix
>40 posts
>no `sudo rm --no-preserve-root -rf /`
You just have to try it.

>t. mactoddler

>You are about to DELETE file(s) from the system root of the hard drive! (y/N)
no tnx

>t. mactoddler

Hope you have a real job. The other Sup Forumstards seems to be have ones that's why they dont care much about apple :)

You didn't even -y it user, what the fuck.

It's toxic if you don't cook it
t. Poorfag who will buy a 2010 Mac Mini just to get Sierra and shits on Apple's 2016 laptop models

>not mac
Wrong board

t. mactoddler

This.
Apple's pre-2014/15 products are rock solid and will be updated for a long time

Mac user with a real job here.
>[email protected]

Which macs do you use? I'm looking to buy either an early 2009 iMac or a 2010 Mac Mini, since they're dirt cheap here (I pay €430 for with an 8GB configuration, and ~€460 for the iMac). It's for school work.
Do you think it's worth it?

Reviewers in 2016 said they were still very nice even though the HDD should be replaced by an SSD if you don't want to wait the ~40 seconds for it to boot.

If you're gunning for something cheap (i.e. older) you should definitely replace the Hard Disk with an SSD. And max out the RAM, other wise you'll find life unpleasant.

Oh at work I have a 27 inch 2012 iMac with 32 GB of memory, and I own a 13 inch 2015 MacBook Pro. The rest of the office have iMacs that are slightly older or newer than mine (2011 - 2015).

All at the cost of a horrendous UI.
You could just, you know, get any other version of Unix/Linux ever.

>horrendous UI

What's bad about it?

Yeah, Aqua is comfy, consistent and features great interactive UI animations. What's to hate?

>t. mactoddler

>no glowing apple

why would you even consider buying this piece of shit?

>apple

why would you even consider buying this piece of shit?

Yea i'm also mainly gonna use it for school, so productivity and portability is key for me.

OP
I'm starting college soon, currently a temp teacher at a local school.

Remember that apple typically ends support for their products when they are 6-7 seven years old.

nice post

>horrendous UI
The UI's what's keeping me from leaving OS X.

Of course

ebin

Not like he won't be able to use Sierra for years. Hell, people are still using Tiger.

How do you like it OP? Might buy one in a few years when my think pad starts getting long in the tooth

I have a MacBook Pro. It's just regular PC hardware in an aluminum case. The OS is just BSD with a custom desktop environment/file explorer called finder. In the top bar, go to the finder button, click it for a drop down menu, select preferences, and from there you can make it a little less shit. Otherwise I recommend installing Homebrew to get a CLI package manager which can give you come useful stuff like zsh, a newer version of bash, emacs, etc. You can also get toys like screenfetch, cowsay, and figlet. If you've used GNU/Linux or BSD before, it should feel pretty familiar.

Maybe small calibers.

>has no arguments
>too stupid to think
>"t. mactoddler xDDDD

fucking Sup Forums

Welcome to the club!

>t. mactoddler