DongleBook

What went wrong?

>implying Apple ever went right
(except the iPod)

>What went wrong?
Well, for starters, you've used the wrong image. That's not the DongleBook.

Fuck you man Apple is amazing
>Oooh donglegate
Whatever faggot
I love all their products, and I love PS4 Pro, and I love Nickelback

still has a headphone jack

nothing. >85% of computers are plugged into an accessory that isn't the charger

Why is that you faggots need USB-a and an SD-card reader?
Seriously in our modern days most don't even use anything other then the charging port and the audio port.

It much better to just remove the ports to get a much better form factor, then some ports that most people doesn't even use.
The only real issue is why they would remove Magsafe

It's actually, unironically, easier to count what went right.

and the most successful phone in existence..

Cock guzzling faggot found.

But you have to buy a computer part of what is wrong with Apple in order to not deal with the vomit that iTunes on Windows is.

Just dongles. Stupid fucking idea.

Everything else is great.

Some people have jobs.

In these jobs sometimes you have to read media that other people give you like an SD card form a camera or a USB stick, or to plug into projector to give a presentation.

Things an unemployed neet might not realize are pretty damn important.

I use the SD card slot on my MBP with my mirrorless camera.

try harder

>sports car gate
WHAT WENT WRONG, WHY CAN'T I TRANSPORT MY ENTIRE FAMILY AND HALF A TON POTATOES WITH IT.

hahaha unironically its even more easier to count the black dicks in ur mother rn xdd

You're right, I can count what went right on a single hand. And I'm missing two fingers.

But sportscars have a lot of performance.

Sports cars are fast and powerful, meant for racing. Like PCs. Macshit is neither of that.

Not him but agree. The usability you give up on an Aventador comes with a large performance benefit. But if you need to haul a lot of goods, you will get a semi truck which is not as attractive visually nor nearly as fast but can transport exponentially more goods and thus becomes more usable.

Conversely, the usability penalty you get with a Macbook also comes with a performance penalty. Whereas a high end PC can also do everything that a lower end one can do.

The two really aren't comparable or analogous in any way for this argument.

tl;dr - A great form factor means nothing if you have no utility for it, nor performance, and the Macbook isn't even a good form factor.

Which you will basically not notice unless you're on a track or live next to an Autobahn, so horsepower - CPU/GPU performance can't really be equaled, just like it'd be silly to equal range with battery life.

Try a more abstract way: Expensive product that excels a very limited amount of tasks but is subpar at everything else. For people who want maximal unity, both would be silly. For people who got specific requirements, both are perfect.

>car comparison

>new Dell XPS13 does the same thing
Why do designers exist? They are a plague on engineering

steve jobs died

Outside of lacking MacOS and godly trackpad...

XPS 13 is
>bigger
>heavier
>got cancerous 16:9 (also much more reflective)
>fan noise
>worse battery life with respectable resolution

Also come on, beyond the screen it looks nowhere as good. It has other benefits like muh ports or performance. Hell, even 16:9 can be a benefit if you buy a laptop for movies only. It's almost like each has strengths and weaknesses and it depends on what the user needs.

I think the people complaining about laptops that aren't aimed at them are wrong.

macbabby brought up the car analogy not me.

But macbooks excel at no tasks, pcs rape them in every category. They can'teven win in the ASTHETICS department either when pcs are looking much better.

I only use the charing port and a type a dongle for my mouse/flash drive when i need it, nothing more than that. I have a desktop for serious work/gaming.

Its a fucking mac that's whats wrong

it's actually very forward-thinking what they did

thunderbolt 3 has a ludicrously fast data transfer rate, one port can easily handle what all of those old ports did no sweat. in the future (or even today), you could hook up things like external gpu enclosures to boost the power of your laptop.

DongleBook owner here. 2016 base model. Got it for discounted price and I quite like it

Then just a dongle
It isn't like you have to use it all the time.

Rhythmbox can sync with an iPod just fine.

Quick question.

Why not just get USB-C accessories? Get a USB-C memory stick. What's the problem? Should we stay on old technology forever?

alternatively, rockbox the ipod (if you're OK with shittier battery life) and you can drag/drop songs from a file browser

Many things, such as DAC's, USB capture cards, , etc aren't USB-C yet, and older devices will need either a new cable for USB-C to USB-A adapter. Also many USB-C cables are gimped and cal possibly kill your device if you arent carefulk

Why not just implement it from the beginning then so you don't have to carry useless dongles

nothing

they just pushing the "whe are an inovative company" meme

i use it, i love it actually

Because most people buying one don't plan to use it with 3145 dongles. It's not like there aren't laptops for people who need ports.

Besides, if you do want to use other shit, a dongle is actually a more elegant solution since you don't have to disconnect all the cables when you want to use it as a laptop.

How does it feel being a sheep?

Haven't owned a Mac since the 90s, but what exactly can't you transfer using a network?

>implications
Main desktop is a custom built desktop, phone is OP3. Only reason i have the macbook is because there's no other PC thats super light, doesn't run windows 10, and has decent/modern specs

>All models have non-removable RAM and are limited to 16GB max
>All models don't even have Kaby Lake CPU's and wont for a while
>All 4-port models are gimped. Left-side ports run at full Thunderbolt 3 Speeds while the 2 right side ports are limited to half-speed for some reason
>All models have the most inconsistent battery life ever
>13" isn't even a quad core. it's all dual core i5's, even for the flagship 13"
>13" has a completely different ssd connector AGAIN, so no more M.2 mods for your MBP
>13" all have Intel HD 515 Graphics, even for the highest spec model
>15" all use Radeon Pro 450, which is shit compared to the GTX1060 and above
>15" models have the SSD soldered into the board. Good luck doing any sort of data recovery
>They have problems with apple's own USB/HDMI dongle
>the provided USB-C cable can't be used for data. It's charging-only
>doesn't even come with a USB-C to Lightning cable. you can buy a macbook and iphone on the same day and you'll never be able to sync them
>13" starting at $1500 USD
>15" starting at $2300 USD

correction:
only the 13" 4 port model has the slow port problem.
the 15" can vary from Radeon Pro 450-465, but thats only marginal gains for a higher price.

Now name better alternatives with 16:10 screen. Oh right.

SurfaceBook

m8 I was fucking with ya.
I have a Macbook myself, and will continue like that until Stallman presents an actual computer that was made for linux and only for linux.

It's got a lot of design issues that are worth discussing but a definite dealbreaker for me is the shit tier keyboard

you can't expect me to use that

Similar price, no modern ports, same RAM limit and lack of Kaby Lake, useless battery life in tablet mode, heavier/bigger and generally idiotic design with the hinge and so on. Also obviously Windows.

That said it's overall a pretty cool laptop that has upsides like the tablet mode and really the only alternative, but let's not act like it's superior.

>lack of Kaby Lake
>an isssue
you're a retard
it's literally a rebadge

>joining the conversation without reading previous posts
Talk about being a retarded.

/thread

I simply can't stand Win10. Main machines got win7 pro and i won't even consider any laptop and isnt running win10 as an upgrade. Until microsoft gets their shit together im not touching that pile of shit. THe laptops are very tempting, especially the Hp Spectre, but win10 is a deal breaker.

As an owner of one of these machines, the keyboard is tolerable but it definitely takes a bit of getting use to.

if it was hardware-only, surfacebook has the upper hand. It was at least released during the reign of Skylake so the CPU thing is justified.Basically you're stuck with this
Surfacebook:
>great hardware
>shit OS/Software

Macbook Pro 2016:
>Great software/OS
>Shit hardware

If someone could hackintosh the Surfacebook it'll be the ultimate mac-based machine in general.

Lack of Kaby Lake is not an issue in the SB, it's not an issue in the MacBook Pro, it's not an issue anywhere except in Intel's quarterly new CPU shipment figures. Enjoy your retardation.

Lamborghini are shit tier sportscars

nobody makes usb-c peripherals, yet
might seriously get a space grey macbook in a couple years though

I tried the SB last year and returned it because of the shitty trackpad though it has a good keyboard - I am very particular about the quality of inputs, I didn't buy an XPS 15 because of the subpar keyboard and the new MBP wants me to make even more of a compromise.

I'll stick with my 2015 MBP until it falls apart. After that, if something better doesn't come along I'll probably have to pivot to Thinkpad or SB but they both have their issues.

Hackintosh is a pain in the ass as well, tried it on my desktop - buggy as hell.

Lack of kaby lake isnt a big deal, but apple not waiting LITERALLY 2 more months to get laby lake has basically made the machine slightly obsolete. If you're paying 2+ grand on a machine shouldnt it be realistic to expect the absolute best hardware available?

SSD's, USB drives, RAID bays, eGPU's, headphones, displays and USB Hubs already exist, but everything else hasnt caught up yet.

>has basically made the machine slightly obsolete
I'll explain it again. Kaby Lake is identical to the previous gen, it's a rebadge. Zero advantages to getting it over the previous gen clock for clock. If anything not waiting 2 months for the same shit is foresight.

Just tried out the keyboard for the first time earlier today. It's shit

> It was at least released during the reign of Skylake
That's simply down to Intels release cycles. If MS releases a refresh now it will have KB while the next Mac refresh is likely to have Cannonlake, etc, etc

>Shit hardware
That's simply not the case ignoring the models with battery issues. It's nothing special, just like SurfaceBook hardware inside is nothing special. The hardware outside is pretty damn nice on both too.

>If someone could hackintosh the Surfacebook it'll be the ultimate mac-based machine in general.
It wouldn't be that different besides it'd kill the touchscreen which is a big pro once they do something about the battery life.

Again, I never said it is. The post I replied to noted that it lacks KB, I pointed out how the only alternative also lacks KB. Nobody in their right mind would suggest that KB is worth it and it's not even the point.

>but apple not waiting LITERALLY 2 more months
It'd be longer because Apple sells fuckloads of laptops compared to the rest. Besides, while waiting longer for same shit? Apple stopped playing the idiotic muh STATS game.

>Many things, such as DAC's, USB capture cards, , etc aren't USB-C yet, and older devices will need either a new cable for USB-C to USB-A adapter.

So what you are saying is that the rest of the industry is slow as fuck and are not keeping up with modern technology?

If apple released the Macbook Pro in Summer or Spring 2016 i wouldn't complain. That was the height of Skylake (which yes, is nearly the same as Kaby Lake),

but instead they released it bascially in the winter 2016 right as Skylake was starting to get replaced essentially. for a machine in its price bracket its just nonsentical

>release cycles
While true, i simply can't justify that when they release it so late into skylake's life. The next macbook will probably get kaby lake in late 2017, and we should have cannonlake by then.

>hardware
It is true for its price. If they sold the macbook pro in the 12" macboom price bracket i could accept that, but for the price it really is retarded. basically all the models have the battery issues, there's no quad-core 13" models and they all use built-in graphics on a $2000+ machine. quad core + somewhat decent GPU is about $2500, whereas the SB will get you the highest-end stuff for that price. Keep in mind that im ignoring the thunderbolt 3 issues on the 4-port 13" model and the lack of other ports on it.

>stopped playing the stats game
thats precisely why they're a joke, especially now more than ever. HP Spectre destroys all 13" models and costs less, Asus Zenbook 3 destroys the 12" MB and costs less, etc.

Basically yes. Also legacy devices, fuck tons of legacy devices. How else will Betty hook up her 500GB USB2 3.5" extrenal drive from 2008?

1. You barely upgrade ram in today's consumerist world. Either you buy more at start, or just switch to next generation after a few years of planned obsolescence in software and hardware.
Also, soldered down RAM prevents against cold boot attacks.
2. There were no 28W Iris Kaby Lakes in October.
3. Dual-port Thunderbolt Controller. There are 2 of them.
You can't put more PCIe devices on 16 lanes. GPU + Wireless + 2 thunderbolt controllers. 8 + 1 + 8, something is sitting on a switch and throttles down it's bandwidth when on full load.
4. There are no ULV quad-core processors produced by Intel or AMD
5. Proprietary controller, supposedly it has higher linear speed than fastest Samsung M.2s.
6. The ones with touch bar have iris 580 graphics.
7. They signed a supply agreement with AMD a year before. Supposedly, these subpar AMD chips have lower temps than Nvidia 1060.
8. It has some kind of test pins on the PCB. Come to Apple Authorized Service Center™ for data recovery, only $199,99 + Tax. Or use Apple Cloud™ to backup your data. This is their Ecosystem™ model and their customers are okay with it.
9. Shit happens, you can buy another one.
10. What if you don't have an iPhone? Putting additional cable costs them money and creates more e-waste and clutter and Apple are Minimalist™ company.
11. Name a same specs slim laptop $1000 cheaper. Does it have an ethernet port and detachable ram?
12. Name a same specs slim laptop $1000 cheaper. Does it have an ethernet port and detachable ram?

t. never owned or used a macbook in my life, happy with my Libreboot® ThinkPad™. i'm sick of these neo-Sup Forums retards who can't do a simple research and stop sperging these dumb arguments pretending they know computers much.

>What went wrong?

>I do not know anything about Intel manufacturing process, politics on mobile markets and power consumption the post
back to >

>implying a faggot who presents products on a stage has anything to do with product design and features.

>The next macbook will probably get kaby lake in late 2017, and we should have cannonlake by then
Now THAT would be a problem given the expected difference from shrink. I don't see anything wrong with the Skylake-KB thing though. Waiting longer just to be able to write "7th gen" is silly.

>there's no quad-core 13" models and they all use built-in graphics on a $2000+ machine.
It's not really necessary for the intended purposes and would be pointless battery drain. Quad core should stay at 15" until 10nm.

>keep in mind that im ignoring the thunderbolt 3 issues on the 4-port 13" model and the lack of other ports on it.
SB got it own issues with bios, hinges and lack of modern ports. While now the port thing is probably a bigger issue on rMBP, depending on how fast the industry moves, SB might look obsolete in that department.

Though I agree about the pricing, specially the touchbar models are ridiculously priced and the shitty Radeons in 15" model was Apple going full zionism.

>HP Spectre destroys all 13" models and costs less, Asus Zenbook 3
CPU-wise. (Although even there the difference is minimal) The SSDs are still not on the same level, neither are battery life, screens or trackpads.

Spectre and Zenbook 3 are pretty good, don't get me wrong but they aren't there overall, which also reflects in their price. Besides 16:9 is a joke for productivity. Microsoft could so easy to make a rMB competitor by dropping their gimmicks and offering a pure laptop the size of a Surface.

>they strip it of functionality and compatibility with mainstream media-sharing hardware
>This somehow makes it more expensive anyway

This is the part that makes no fucking sense

>battery
to be fair, even the 13" models (which are all dual core) have horrific battery issues involding very large inconsistencies. That and the battery is smaller compared to the 2015 rMBP. Tey've done quad-core SPU's in the older 2012-2015 rMBP and that worked out just fine.

>have horrific battery issues involding very large inconsistencies
Isn't it limited to the touchbar ones?

>That and the battery is smaller compared to the 2015 rMBP.
It's not about the size only but about the other components too, Skylake alone changes a lot, then there is the more efficient screen, under normal conditions the 2016 models perform better and 2015 rMBP already had pretty respectable ones.

The price difference between 2015 - 2016 models is still a joke of course.

>SSD's, USB drives, RAID bays, eGPU's, headphones, displays and USB Hubs already exist, but everything else hasnt caught up yet.
I just wanna deal with everything when it is fully mainstream
It's not like apple is going to touch the macbook for the next 3 years anyway, so they probably won't fuck it up too much more

This is low quality bait.

All the models have it. Apple always tries to play it down by saying "oh only these models and machines between these dates are affected" but realistically all the models are affected.

>while i agree that battery life isnt only based on battery size, having a significantly smaller battery still has a negative effect on things. It may be more power-efficient on low-power stuff, but once it becomes even a bit serious all power-saving features are basically thrown out the window, and it becomes a battery-only endurance at that point and thats where part of the problem lies.

i'm slowly gathering up various things. I start with the basics and ill eventually expand to newer things. I've got cables, adapters, USB drives and thats it. Maybe USB-C SSD enclosure later and usb-c display for macbook.

how do you like it?
Is sierra as bad as everybody says it is?

>needing 16 gigs of ram on a 12" laptop
wew
lad

homosexuality is a mental illness

all I really want is a usb-c flash drive
everything else would just be like the thunderbolt dock on the x1 carbon

>Why is that you faggots need USB-a
Flash drives
External hard drives
USB game controllers
Phone cords
Any appliance ever made that was intended to be plugged into a computer for any reason

Oh, and in case it wasn't driven in enough...

FUCKING FLASH DRIVES GODDAMMIT.

>But muh cloud
NO. FUCK YOU. FLASH DRIVES.

>1999+18
>wires
My wireless Thinkpad™ WiGig® Dock doesn't have this problem.

>too dumb to solder on a type-c connector on a flash drive
What are you doing on Sup Forums? This is not consumer review website, go back to /r/eddit or thg.

>all that shit over a wireless connection
Man it's amazing what garbage thinkhipsters will buy as long as it's got the right logo on it

desu i really like the laptop itself. I bought it for about $550 cheaper than store-bought after tax so i didnt lose out much. for $1850CAD(after tax) its an absolute ripoff, but as a $1300 laptop its actually quite good.

Pros:
SSD is comparable to samsung 950EVO
LCD has good res, really great image and amazing viewing angles. OLED tier viewing angles
light as fuck machine
pretty good battery
core m3 is actually fairly powerful for basic tasks
trackpad is as godly as ever
sturdy build as long as you dont drop it

cons:
m3 cab be a bit laggy at times, but its really not bad
keyboard is weird and takes getting use to
webcam is shit but i dont use it so i dont care
only 1 port can be annoying for some folks
the 1 port is only USB-C gen1, so 5Gbps max.
its passively cooled so it can easily throttle when doing intense things
nothing is upgradable or removable. If you spill liquid on it good luck doing any sort of data recovery.

as for software, Sierra is typical. Nothing special but i havent noticed any bad things. I'm excited for 10.13 because of apple new file system APFS. that should solve many of the OSX problems out there. the OS is very optimized for the machine and it works really well with the machine. Windows performance is shit on it.

If you can get one for a discount and can live with 1 port i highly recommend it. even the 2015 model will work well and theyre much cheaper now. i found some for $1000CAD used(in good shape)

there are USB drives with both USB-A and USB-C on the same drive. Kingston has one, sandisk has one, and a few more brands are jumping in too.

7Gbit is enough for all that shit.

5Gbit is really enough for basic things. It can do 4k60hz eaily and still have enough left over for a few USB-3 devices or fuckloads of USB2 devices
gen2 10Gbit and thunderbolt 3 @40Gbit is really exciting though

>Windows performance is shit on it.
That's weird, there was a guy with a blog blowing loads about how much better it is with W10 than Yosemite (which was admittedly lame). Never bothered to try it myself.

The cool thing about Sierra are the tabs in apps though, takes getting used to to get the most use of it but helps me a lot.

Basing an entire business model around the lgbt agenda

Do you use display at full resolution with scaling or lower resolution?

>not using it on 1920*1200

Thats because yosemite itself was shit. El cap was generally better. Sierra is meh. not bad but not good.

>tabs in apps
using a simple hand gesture to swipe between apps is so incredibly useful. Its one of my favorite things

the built-in display is scaled to 1440x900 for max real-estate. Its never at its default 2304x1440 and my second display is running off the USB-C port @1080p60. both displays are 60fps and has no real rendering lag, even with 2 full-screen videos. HD515 is decently powerful.

i sold my 1200p monitor recently. all i got is my 1080p left

MacOS only supports certain resolutions for proper scaling. Retina displays usually do 1440x900 scaled, but the 5K imac can do roughly 1080p or something like that.

>using a simple hand gesture to swipe between apps is so incredibly useful. Its one of my favorite things
Yeah, it's generally small things like that that make MacOS so nice to use. A godly trackpad obviously helps.

>i sold my 1200p monitor recently. all i got is my 1080p left
Meant using it on the laptop, the default resolution is way too much for a small screen but 1440*900 is bit limiting, I found 1200p the best after 2 mins of getting used to it.

ResFX helps with that, didn't notice any issues with using resolutions beyond the basics.

As someone who owned many macbooks before, and as someone who deals with them daily, the hand gestures and trackpad always make me moister than an oyster. It's like touching your legs for the first time after you shaved them.

My 12" macbook only supports 1440x900 as the max scaled res, but honestly on the small screen it works really well IMO. big enough to read shit but small enough not to bug me.

I have no real use for ResFX. If i had the 13/15" pro i'd probably scale it down all the way with ResFX but on the small display is list fine at the 900p ballpark.

If i can acquire one of the 5K imacs i'd absolutely scale the shit out of it

also, the speakers on the new macbooks are fucking ridiculous. They're just as good as many cheaper bluetooth speakers. i was genuinely shocked

Does it render GUI to be visible like on a 900p display or just upscales pixels? i.e. can you put a 2304x1440 wallpaper and see every pixel on it?

Donglebook at the office. Dual core, can't even run Linux. Requested a better, cheaper Razer Stealth that can Linux, told to get a donglebook. $2800. FML.

it only renders the GUI. high-res wallpapers render at normal scale. I just use 2560x1440 wallpapers and they look great. also it only upscales shit on the built-in display. my 1080p monitor isnt scaled at all.

That would be incredibly dumb. Not only would it stop working on every computer that used USB type A, but you also can't use this with other people's flash drives, which you may end up working with quite regularly in academic and work environments.