Im trying to watch a 1080p mkv file on my parents MacBook air late 2010 model with 2gb of RAM using VLC...

Im trying to watch a 1080p mkv file on my parents MacBook air late 2010 model with 2gb of RAM using VLC, and its stuttering.

Is this the laptops limits hardware, or does VLC suck balls on macosx?

Is there another player I can try?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Apple-macbook-Pro-13-inch-display/dp/B00GMOKA1C
lhc70000.github.io/iina/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Mpv is much better

Fuck you apple! Won't run apps that didn't come from iTunes.com goddamn it you fucking piece of shit

Try mplayer although the most likely thing will be that it'll play smooth video but audio won't be in sync. If none of that works, try to downsize it to 720 via ffmpeg, which should do the conversion quicker than other apps

System preferences > security (I think, haven't used OS X in a long time) there should be a setting to allow apps from outside the appstore

Ok, go mpv working. VLC only stuttered in a few places, so we'll see how this works.

Thanks

Nope. Posted too soon. Still stutters

It only stutters when it hits above 45mb/s rate. This was being played off my usb3.0 stick, gonna copy it to the HD. Might resolve it.

Thanks. I tried mplayer, and media plex, same issue. Hopefully running it from the local HD will resolve it.

Whats the cpu util? 1.4 dual core could get bogged down with high bitrate stuff, especcially if it's throttling.

is the mkv x265 or x264

I still can't figure out what in my conf to adjust to stop the stuttering when putting a video in full screen.

Its a CLI hack in Shiterra now. Yes, they removed the toggle from the settings.

also, what the fuck were they thinking when the installed Sierra on 2gb of RAM? Must swap like a motherfucker.

I'd say it's because you're using a MacBook Air.
I suggest for you to try this out
amazon.com/Apple-macbook-Pro-13-inch-display/dp/B00GMOKA1C

>2gb ram
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

tried the resync option in the mpv conf and/ or tinkering with compton?

Get the Despecialized Edition. It's 720p so you shouldn't have an issue.

>Its a CLI hack in Shiterra now. Yes, they removed the toggle from the settings.

and macfags try to argue with me when they say OSX isn't a walled garden

VLC sucks, even the mpc+hc mac port blows it out of the water despite how outdated it is

Fuck off, mpchc can't do video conversion.

/thread

not sure what I'm looking for in that regard. I figured it had something to do with scaling since it only happens in fullscreen.

lhc70000.github.io/iina/

What the fuck are you talking about? I download and install applications all the time on Sierra without any hack shit.

Just click the .dmg file, let it verify, and then install the application. You'll just get a popup that asks if you want to run it.

how disgusting

OP here, after copying it to the macs drive it only stuttered like twice.

It auto installed. I told my parents to update anything that it prompts. It seems to run at the same speed as before. They only use this thing for very basic stuff, and when I come visit, I bring a movie on my thumbdrive to watch, and connect it to their TV via HDMI.

Yup. Fuck Apple, and the cheap original bastard who bought that thing.

Its the 35mm scan, its 1080p