Make a linux distro to get a job?

i want to get out of retail. if i make a linux distro and maintain it for like a year or two with updates and features and a wallpaper that doesn't suck, could it get me a job? i figure there will always be a niche of users who opt to use my linux distro because they're linux users who enjoy using something that is already a steaming pile of shit. it's why i use lxdream emulator instead of reicast with retroarch because i prefer to use the broken option. it's "fun".

so, could this get me a job? or should i just make a youtube tutorial series on gentoo with random minecraft references?

any ideas?

i can't go to school because i don't have money or time for that while working retail full time.

please help me Sup Forums!

Though OP is shitposting, there are hundreds of people on this board right now working retail who think spending 100 hours on code academy is their ticket out of retail.

Not really going to do anything for two major reasons

-There are already a million of them doing this and it's too easy to change the wallpaper of the DE and say you made it 100%. "making" a linux distro doesn't really infer that you are some master of CS, even if you actually did you are going to appear washed out from the rest of them piping from ubuntu/etc and claiming it's "100% new"

-This doesn't solve a business question since it's just making a generic platform. You don't try to get a job by doing something passive like being the best programmer ever and then getting a reputation and trying to get interest that way. The return on that is a joke. You get a job by finding out what a business really needs and actively marketing yourself and saying, I guarantee you I could do this job for you because I've already done it for someone else. And if not, you've already done it on your portfolio.

Just out of fun you remind me of times when I try to troll foss people by making up fake resumes.
>I use an obscure emulator because I like to spend endless hours tinkering with some piece of shit to get the exact same result. Hire me, I'm a badass

can you code? cause if you can, i have a job for you. i need someone to help me develop an app.

i can make a platformer using construct 2 engine. am i qualified?

i also have experience with gdevelop, stencyl, and unity engine.

also know a little bit of html.

>100 hours on code academy is their ticket out of retail.

isn't it?

i got to level with you and just tell you i don't know what that means. that might as well be german. i am very code illiterate, but i have a fantastic idea for an app and i know it'll be big. the only trouble is of course i don't know how to program, and seeing as how i need to make something happen in my life asap, i figure i really don't have time to learn it, hence why i am looking to hire someone.

but i certainly don't want to be winkelvossed, so i have to be very cautious. you tech people are very sneaky.

i am most certainly the guy you're looking for? describe the app and i'll make it right now. when it's half done i'll give it to you for half the agreed payment. then, when it's complete, i'll give you the other half for the rest of the payment.

is it a deal?

how much are you paying?

no way i'm telling you over Sup Forums. the idea would be stolen in a second !

yeah it will get you a job at the toilet store

what is a toilet store?

but that's basically still retail. i want to get my foot in the IT door. i was a neet for 10+ years before getting my retail job 3 months ago. it's time to move up in the world.

i'm starting to get the feeling that people look down on retail workers.

i don't think it's so much that people look down on retail workers, moreso that it's not a job that commands high authority. i work costumer service and get pretty much disrespected on a daily basis, but still, when people hear i work in costumer service there's no shame or embarrassment, as it's an honest job and living. same goes for retail

You think people don't look down on tech workers? Bankers? No matter what you do you're either gonna be a drone or a sellout to tons of people, so don't let that dictate anything.

IT is shit, even if you are promoted, it's shit. Even if you have your own company, it's shit.

but it has to be better than retail. it earns more money. the more money i earn, the more escapism i can purchase.

vr waifus are getting pretty good.

>you are not "on call" at 3 am in retail
>there is no work to bring home with you
>there are no comfy routines in IT (except for manual QA)

Oracle Linux

Ubuntu

RedHat Linux

It could. Please ignore bitter, jealous assholes like It shows you can code. You may not get the best or high-paying job from a big company but people will definitely keep your resume instead of throwing it in the trash if you can show off projects that show you can code.

IT is not shit for these reasons, that stuff is part of any job. Let's just pretend right now that you magically had your own company and enough clients so that you were 90% busy every day. ie perfect target range. Even in this perfect scenario you will face this:

>Clients will buy shitty proprietary software that they "need" and is the entire reason they have PCs with you in the first place so when it goes wrong, they will not call that shitty company, they will call you and give you shit. BEST case scenario is that you will be the virtual chauffeur when the other software company's response is "dunno lol bye"
>100% refusal to do preventative maintenance until it is an absolute trainwreck along with making backups
>BEST case scenario is people treat you like shit on a daily basis they will absolutely never thank you even if you fixed something that was 100% their fault
>clients will give you impossible questions like "can you recommend me a business software that will just let me fire all my employees and make me millions of dollars tomorrow like I read about on the internet" and are serious and will be all cunty pissed when you tell them no
>clients will disagree with everything you say even though they're paying you to fix it as they regurgitate 30 year old information about "electricity hurts PCs"
>Clients throw laptops/everything and will not tell you.
>Your market is only where you can drive to in person.

even if you make them sign a contract forcing them to understand the above, your contract won't mean shit 15 seconds into their "problem" and they will just say "we're going to drop you." Even if you INHERIT someone from another business, they will act like it's your fault.

Again this is your own business, not even talking about working for someone else.

IT is shit due to how people are, we were supposed to be the futuristic heroes but people don't value IT. IT is shit.

Hey it worked for Solus