youtube.com/watch?v=XZOh-lxYadc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Install gentoo

macOS

partition your shit and run both, faggot

Gentoo and Arch are at the complete opposite end of the choice spectrum

Gentoo goes off the “user choice” deep end
Arch leans heavily towards “maintainer/upstream choice”

When you get down to it, they have less in common than alike, which makes me wonder why people keep comparing the two

It's because OP is a fucking moron that just wants to use one of the meme distros so he'll look cool on Sup Forums

They are both meme distros, with gentoo being about 10x more meme. If you value your time you will install arch.

>Do you want to be a special snowflake: arch
>Do you want to be the most special snowflake of all: gentoo

>If you value your time you will install arch.
ubuntu*

>ubuntu*
openSuSE*

> Opensuse
> ubuntu
Anything other than arch and gentoo is fine

Anything other than arch gentoo and BSD is fine

BSD is objectively superior to Linux

t. angry gentoo users who finds reasons to switch to bsd daily but is scared of breaking compatibility with all mainstream software (yet again)

And compatibility with all hardware, too. BSD is a fucking mess for using as a desktop system.

install xubuntu

Gentoo is more hardcore but Arch has better street cred
Whatever you choose, the most important part is that you don't do anything useful with the computer

>BSD is a fucking mess for using as a desktop system.
How so?

I mean, if all you want to do is web developmentit can work, but hardware and software compatibility is just too awful. I spent quite a while trying to make bsd work on my desktop when i was a stupid teenager, in the end it was just too unsupported to use for any significant amount of time.

So you don't have any specific examples, you're just shitposting?

Graphics card didn't work, OpenOffice didn't work, Flash didn't work. I guess some of those problems have been fixed by now, but back in 2006-2007 when I was toying around with bsd, it was a fucking mess.

Windows 10.

Apparently the nvidia drivers are supported, which is the only thing on that list that I even remotely care about

I went to this beer bar yesterday called Arch and it was pretty great so I'd say Arch

Gentoo

t. used both for at least 6 months.

Gentoo give you more control and less bloat and ironically just werks more often than Arch.

Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python, ruby, gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads

Meanwhile, with Arch
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't.
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro.
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub.
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros.

there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.

They may be philosophically different in a lot of aspects—they ARE different distros, after all—Arch and Gentoo are very similar compared to the other major GNU/Linux distros. Stop being such a pedantic little bitch.

Void >>>>>>>>>> Arch
Tell me why I'm wrong
>protip: you cant

>Arch
>worst fucking user base
It doesn't strike me as even remotely bad even so I'm a Gentoo user and never used it. Arch has amazing wiki and forums are full of actually useful info and advice which are signs of a strong community.

For me the most brain-dead community is Ubuntu. Each fscking time I google stuff, ubuntu users only provide stupid-ass misinformation to the point I have to add '-ubuntu' in the search bar to filter out that garbage.

I've used Arch for four years now -- it has its ups and downs, but I keep finding myself wishing that I went with Gentoo instead when I had the time to dump into this install. I almost wish I went with a Debian net install over Arch if only for the stability of the former, but I would probably miss the convenience AUR.

I wouldn't call your critiques wrong (except those towards the community -- it's quite rare to find the stereotypical Arch dweeb as so characterized by ~2011ish Sup Forums nowadays, and my few interactions with the community have been exceedingly pleasant, not to mention its excellent documentation), but I don't get why you're so up-in-arms over it, especially the AUR/ABS's heavy usage of scripts.

Solus.

>Arch has amazing wiki
This. Even when on other distros, the ArchWiki has become a a good resource for when I fuck up.

Meanwhile on the gentoo wiki...

FFS, install a real OS.

Each have their purposes. Gentoo Wiki is much smaller and less detailed than the Arch Wiki but its external references tend to be the absolute best, and by following them you ultimately end up learning much more than from reading either of the wikis.

Genitals in loo is a time sink.
Arch is gud.

gentoo

funtoo

install cancer

get a 9front
youtube.com/watch?v=XZOh-lxYadc

gentoo because systemd is the worst thing to ever happen to linux and not having one package break your system ruins all of the fun.

using arch is for those who can't figure out a config fire, supports nazis with the usage of systemd, and likes boredom because no waiting for compile times nor having that one libpng update break your entire system.

Apple products are not serious technology.

>which is the only thing on that list that I even remotely care about

This "it doesn't matter in my opinion so it shouldn't matter for anyone" mentality is what holds many open source projects back.

There's gossip running around of systemd shills among Gentoo devs. Apparently some of things that keep systemd in check are its hard deps on glibc and linux kernel.

Also I heard it is possible to install openrc in Arch. So not all is lost (yet).

install gentoo

HAHAHAHAHA

>

No, catering to retarded piece of shit companies like Adobe and allowing them to spread their botnet/malware onto Linux as well is far more damaging

If you want to compile from source, Gentoo
otherwise, Arch.

Compiling takes more time but I feel the end result is a little more stable

If you have to ask, Arch.

No you stupid cunt, Gentoo and Funtoo are only distros wherein you can choose versions of software IN EVERY SINGLE PACKAGE.
You don't waste your time because portage watches and compiles your packages and you do nothing after setting make.conf file.