Best way to apply thermal paste?

Best way to apply thermal paste?

don't
thermal paste literally does nothing except burn your cpu faster
its a marketing trick

This. Just take some oil and smear it over the CPU, will be way better and cheaper then paste.

oil burns you fucking idiot. use water.

is this alantutorial

Holy shit, you run your CPU at 100+ C?
Water will evaporate right away and is obviously conductive, oil will stay there and under the pressure of the heatsink, it won't even burn if it's heated way over CPU temperatures, you're obviously baiting

>his cpu hits 100 degrees so that the water boils off

AMDcucks, everyone

POO
O
O

>all this b8
Just solder the processor and heatsink together. Metal-to-metal heat transfers are much faster than any paste, oil, or water can do.

grain of rice or small pea.

once you do it enough you can get a perfect square covering with just the smallest bit of overage on the side.

>he can't read
>he dosen't know that water evaporates even at room temperature
kek, calling others cucks

A vertical line right down wherever the center of the heatspreader also intersects with the majority of the die itself, claming the heatsink down does the rest + prevents air bubbles

Dosen't really matter if you're doing it for yourself and not for production to save paste, the excess will go over the sides, no matter how much you put on it, if your chip does not have a heat spreader, it's actually good to have blobs on the sides to help spread the heat and remove more heat from the chip socket.

Almost half the heatspreader is not even covered faggot.

>inb4 but but the chip die under it is!
>faggots don't know that heat spreaders are active components needing cooling on the whole top side

Gloves and just use finger or credit card

this. i wish i took a pic of my i5 when i took the hsf off it today.

ordered that giant coolermaster 612 v2, can't wait to drop these temps. stock intel coolers aren't complete shit though, well, at least the ones with copper in the middle.

right, but majority of chips are old intels or amds (that don't work like heatpipes) I think only 2012+ intel chips have the vapor chamber heat spreader design

Seriously, get a AIO cooler. They have come a long way and even a cheap AIO cooler is better than any expensive air cooling.

Aren't they noisy as fuck though?

i'm not buying that 110 dollar corsair shit i looked at in worst buy today what with all the reviews of this and that failing, i don't care if it's version 2 or version 22.

the 612 cost me all of $28 and from the research i've done is one of the quietest hsf's on the market.

Why would the? The radiator is bigger, the fan has to go slower to do the same job, water is several times better at removing heat and spreading it with the radiator then just air or heatpipes.

You think that the pump is loud? It's literary inside the CPU piece and just rotates water around, inaudible, even if running at 4k RPM.

Just the impression I had of liquid. Never used it personally as I haven't had the need. Thinking about it now though.

kek, been running a shitty cheap corsair i60 for three years now on a machine that is on 24/7, no problems

it is quiet, even quieter than most of the custom builds I have seen

>and even a cheap AIO cooler is better than any expensive air cooling
Cheap (as in H60 and H55 tier) AIO's are garbage for all but the most basic of CPU heat problems, you need to drop $100 if you wan't an AIO that'll keep up with modern CPU's, and even then, quality control is all over the place

see
my H60 has been running for 3 years 24/7, cooling a FX-6350 at 4.8GHz without problems, never going above 65C

my old shit amd generates way more heat than most i7's todays

>and even then, quality control is all over the place

this. i don't deny that you guys have had good luck and it may be a case of 'set it and forget it' vs cases where guys are constantly moving shit in and out, or it could just be that gooks can't into seals and cheaped out on pumps, who knows.

i don't intend to overclock far enough to justify the cost anyway. coming from ~3 ghz, 4.5 ghz is plenty for me.

stock fans on my h110 were loud but i changed them to noctua fans and now the case fans are louder even under load

>cases where guys are constantly moving shit in and out
Why the fuck would you change your CPU constantly? It would be even harder with custom watercooling. Literary a irrelevant thing.

>inb4 testbench
>using watercooling on a testbench kek

well it's some linus tier shit but people do it for youtube videos all the time.

>linus tier shit
kek

How do you solder a CPU die?