Other urls found in this thread:

a.co/gnKyCZs
google.com/chromecast/tv/ultra/
github.com/zchee/deoplete-jedi/wiki/Setting-up-Python-for-Neovim
quietpc.com/nof-icepipe
download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian
download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc
dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualbox-guest-addons.html
github.com/crypt3lx2k/Imageboard-Image-Scraper/commit/62ca89a2f396a18ff6294604e03b9f800d09f612
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The other sqt had a picture with boobies and chick-fil-a. Step your picture game up.

What are you, straight? Fuck off.

Is the quality of my audio going to be lower if I connect my speakers to my monitor instead of directly to my PC, or will it make no difference?

I got this
a.co/gnKyCZs
Would it be better to get 2.5" or 3.5" SATA HDD?

My old Acer laptop keeps overheating. At least I think it does. It cuts out completely after a few hours of using it.
What could I do to fix it? Would opening it up and cleaning it make any difference?

do all cpu fans have the same wattage?
i looked around for PSU calculators and not one of them asks about which cpu fan i have, so i'm wondering if it's just taken for granted or something?

Both have shit DACs so it doesn't matter

>At least I think it does
If you keep your hand on it and it burns, it's overheating.
You can open it up and clean the dust off, that should drop a few degrees. You could also replace the thermal paste but that can get tricky.

If I cal 2017 in terminal, today's day is highlighted with background color.
I'm guessing the cal program calls tput.
But how to I do something like cal 2017 > calendar.txt without today's date mucking up the format?
What is the meaning of the chars displayed when I more calendar.txt?
Can these same chars be used for formatting to other document types?
What is the terminology for this characters?
I want to understand things.

Could someone post that picture with kanye waiting for the joke to be over with all those badly designed apple products?

Sup /gee/ I want to make my pc more silent, I'm already running a zero rpm gpu and a ssd, the case fan start to spin only when cpu temperature exceeds 40 celsius (does never happen) so the psu and cpu fan bacame the most noisy components.

my cpu is a pentium g4400, the tdp tops 45W I got an arctic freezer 11 LP on it and a cheapo 540W PSU wich is almost inaudible, do you think its better to invest in a noise cancelling case, or Should I upgrade the heatsink and maybe switch to a psu wich stops its fan under a certain usage

in the second case, do ever exist cpu heatsing with fan stopping in idle? can't find any on google

thanks

what's the command I use so that GCC find newly installed libraries?

it used to be first hit in google, but i can't find it anymore

picture related

I'm organizing my chinese cartoons right now, and I'm working on prettying everything up with icons. I can figure out the icon matcher and applying icons to folders just fine, but I don't know how to place icons on the actual video thumbnails. Take pic related; I want to place the icon I've set for the folder on these thumbnails, rather than the mpv icon.

Advice?

I have an 8 year old 850W 80+ silver PSU that can't output more than 400W anymore.

Should I just toss it, or should I save it for a low power system? I'm worried about it blowing up and taking the system with it.

How can I make a bootable USB of W10 in Debian?

Is there any major difference between SSDs?
Like is there anything wrong with getting a SanDisk one over a Samsung? It's a lot cheaper.

Can't.
This icon is file type icon.
You can change the file thumbnail though since mkv support that.

Odd, could have sworn it was possible.

I don't spend my money on anything lads, should I say fuck it and buy a 1080 and a 144Hz 1440p display with gsync? Currently got a 144Hz 1080 and a 970

Anyone got any alternatives to peerblock? Is it even worth having at all these days?

For EXE files, yes.
Not for media files, that Icon present what program would run it by default.
You "can" change it but that would make all mkv files the same icon.

No
Don't waste money just because you have it, that's what (((they))) want

How do I run manjaro in qemu?

It asks for all kinds of distros, but no arch/manjaro. Now when I try to run the iso on there it doesn't get anywhere.

Which modern version of Windows takes less space/resources? Going to use it on a virtual machine

There is, but it's nothing compared to the difference between an SSD and an HDD. Look at random read/write speeds if you want to compare SSDs

No, and it never was

Trick question. 10 is the only modern version of windows.

7 if you slim it down yourself with something like rt7lite

>using qemu past 2011

Dude it's been depreciated for years.

I have an xps 13 in the mail. Does installing ubuntu void the warranty?

Then what VM am I supposed to use when virtual box isn't working for my distro?

advise on setting up a neovim config "init.vim".
I have the config file but not sure wtf is going off (NEW FAG TO LINUX). Are there any good guides to setting up neovim (the end goal is to use neovim for python programing).

If virtualbox isn't working, you should stop and work on that

Bump
Tried installing winusb but that didn't work.

Not sure, but you realise you can always just reinstall windows then send it back under warranty. Obviously back up you Ubuntu install first

Why do mobileshitters post IMG_ filenames now?
Not just for photos but for random meme images downloaded from somewhere else?

Is there any way to receive my sms on one phone and mms on another phone but use the same phone number for each?

But won't they notice the missing Dell bloatware and spyware?

Should backup the initial Windows install.

Iphones rename all photos to img_ names

PC warentee usually doesn't have shit todo with software. Just don't pry open anything with a sticker covering it and you should be good

How do I send 4k movies to my 4k android/philips tv without an HDMI cable?

Wifi chromecast just buffers all the time. The TV has an ethernet port, can I stream it through that somehow?

What happened?

Can you connect an external drive to it?

google.com/chromecast/tv/ultra/

Anybody here bought one of those Pixio PX277 monitors? 144Hz, FreeSync, and IPS for $350 sounds too good to be true. Do they have lots of problems with dead pixels and backlight bleed or something?

plex

Yes but it's kind of cumbersome to deal with transferring them through external drives really.
>4k chromecast streaming is Chromecast 2 exclusive
meh
>All your movie, TV show, music, and photo collections, beautifully organized and streamed to your big screen through your Android TV.
this is probably what I was looking for, thanks

Pretty much this. No harm done in backing up though

Try again

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
sudo apt update
sudo apt install winusb

>this is probably what I was looking for, thanks

I'm using plex with my home server and smart tv. I also use it from my laptop/from work/my bedroom chromecast/parents house.

All 9TB of my movies/tv/chinese cartoons available everywhere at all times -- it's fucking amazing.

Why don't people do the horizontal PC with the monitor on top thing anymore?

People with slim PCs do, it's just not a super common form factor.

Because it takes up desk space

The only reason people did that was to save desk space. Modern flatscreens don't take as much desk space as CRTs did so it's no longer neccessary.

Do I have to set up port forwarding if both of the machines are on the same internal network (both 192.168.x.x ips)?

Nevermind getting there slowly with this - github.com/zchee/deoplete-jedi/wiki/Setting-up-Python-for-Neovim (the problem was not fully understanding that neovim uses a different config location in comparison to vanilla vim)

Then without a VPN, what can one do?

only when you need to access something from outside your internal network, so no.

Without a VPN, VPS, or seedbox...effectively nothing.

move to a non-shit country

I really want to get an iPhone, but for cheap.
Where can I get a trusted-refurbished iPhone 6 or so for a decent price?

How do i fix this terrible battery life on the s7 edge (us version)? This is with 30 minutes of screen on time which means i get about 2 hours of SoT before the phone is dead which is terrible. I have very few apps installed (nothing like facebook that drains battery). I did a cache wipe before letting it fully charge but the drain was not improved.

get an iphone

No thanks, iphones have a terrible interface.

is antivirus software just a meme? as long as i don't download dumb shit, do i really need anti virus?

or alternatively, if i just ignore when my antivirus warns me about files that i download, is there any point?

does antivirus actually do shit in the background or is it pretty much just "hey man maybe think twice before opening that .exe"

Antivirus software is basically almost 90% signature detection (i.e. we have a checksum of this malware, we've detected file on your system with this checksum) and some heuristics combined with access control (for example, irfanview shouldn't be able to load device drivers).

As long as you use Common Senseā„¢, you're pretty much as safe as you're ever gonna get.

2 to 4 watts each (volts times amps, voltage being 12v)

anywhere you can't eliminate a fan, use a bigger fan- larger blades can move the same amount of air while generating less noise at a lower, less obnoxious frequency

a resident scanner, which is only a part of an anti virus software, is more like "from the information I know, and my well-calculated guess, if I let you run this program you just tried to open, you're most likely going to fuck up your computer, better don't do that"

another main part of an anti-virus software is a file scanner that checks your files for any known or suspected virus code.

so one works in the background and checks any file you open (or download), other works when ran manually or scheduled and checks any file on your system. depending on the AV software, you might get more stuff like firewalls or whatever else to help security.

ignoring your anti-virus is like skipping vaccines. sometimes you'll survive, sometimes you'll get sick, and in rare cases, you'll fucking die. ymmv

not all fans have the exact same wattage, but it's rare that they'll exceed like 5w of power draw, so it's usually not a concern unless you have a ton of them (and you're already running your system close to your psu's limit).

some motherboards support pwm cpu fans that will slow or stop when your cpu is cool enough. you could also look into a fanless cooler, especially since your processor is relatively low tdp (example: quietpc.com/nof-icepipe ) which will also help prevent dust buildup

unless you've got some specialty warranty on it, dell will only cover hardware issues anyway. you can install whatever you want as long as it doesn't force-overheat your processor or anything.

they might reinstall windows if you send it in to them, though.

any suggestions then for a free anti virus that isn't bloated with bullshit features?

Im building right now.

I put on the NH-D15 heatsink, but there are some Cables labeled "Low Noise Adaptor."

What are those? what do they do?

I'm running mint and i'm trying to figure out how to download virtualbox on it. i'm still a noob with linux and any help would be appreciated .

it probably gets grabbed by the host, try installing the virtualbox guest additions. if that doesn't work choose another key, it should work

8 years is a great life for a PSU. Retire it.

step 1, stop and get W7 instead

look at performance benchmarks
understand the different between architecture(differtent MLC variants, etc)

As far as brand, What do you think Sandisk makes? Aside from the gen 1 sandforce, they make great memory

get a VPN

Honestly you should have abandoned peerblock the instant they started trying to charge you money for lists

Even those stickers are invalid under the law- even shitty cucked US law

you need AV and a firewall.

Get Comodo. They do try and load it with bullshit, but if you pay attention you can avoid installing any of it

nearly all motherboard's CPU fan header is PWM

that connector has a voltage limiter which reduces fan speed

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian trusty contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list'

wget download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-dkms

Whenever I plug in my external HDD into a win10 computer it is seen but says it's corrupted or unreadable.

When I plug it into a linux computer it's readable and I can see all my files, I can even play video files that are stored on it. But when I try to delete something or move something onto the drive I get an IO error (not permissions related or anything, i think it's an invalid directory problem).

I am thinking that the problem came froman improper ejection while it was mounted.

what can i do to fix this? I want to be able to use it on a win10 computer as well as be able to add and move files from it.

That's what I'm guessing. What are the additions? And how would I choose another key? I can't access a terminal in the i3 guest.

>5 sudo in a row

please stop using Linux.

What's the difference between
pacman -Syu

pacman -Syyu

and
pacman -Syyu [package]

?

how do you on ubuntu install programs onto a different drive than the default one?

i just copy/pasted the first search result

dedoimedo.com/computers/virtualbox-guest-addons.html

-Syu downloads the latest package list and installs any new packages
-Syyu force downloads the latest package list, even if it is up to date, and installs the latest packages
-Syyu [package] does the same thing as regular -Syyu, but also installs [package]

So is there ever a reason to use just
pacman -S package

?

ClamAV is only a file scanner
MSE is a shit-on-purpose residential+file scanner but still gets the job done most of the time

other AV software is fucking annoying. Except Norton but it costs money and (at least in the past) was a massive resource hog

>norton
>not annoying
>not a piece of shit since 1999

If you have already ran pacman -Syu or pacman -Syyu that day, then yes, just use pacman -S package. It could save the server a few MiB of bandwidth.

You only need to run -Syu once a day max.

How do I choose another key if this doesn't work?

I really can't recall how you did that in i3, it's been years since i've used it. just look at the config documentation and/or google it

anyone ever tried an online calculus course and had good luck?

im looking for one that isnt coursera and doesnt use a giant chalkboard like the MIT one lol

What is the filesystem type on the HDD? When I had an external on ext4 WIndows bitched and moaned about it for no reason.

Also, does Windows create a "repair drive" dialog?

What I would try as a last resort is backup files in any way you can and reformat.

so i've been using this 4chins image scraper:
github.com/crypt3lx2k/Imageboard-Image-Scraper/commit/62ca89a2f396a18ff6294604e03b9f800d09f612

which stopped working a couple weeks ago
i noticed that i was quite a few commits behind the current so i updated and like all other open sores projects, rather than just fixing shit incrimentally, the maintainer(s) decided to add a ton o' junk that just bloated the shit out of it, and it still doesnt work thanks to said additions and other shit (like python 2->3 changes)

my rather limited (casual) programming skills are exhausted, so does anyone have a nice 4ch image scraper that
1) keeps original filenames
2) allows custom output dir
3) keeps going until thread 404
4) optionally allows scraping a whole board and not just a thread (though thread is what i'm after primarily)
5) isnt gay as hell in the code so that i can fix little things if need be?

I'm using linux mint right now. Is there any way I can set up my system to have two seperate profiles that have different UI, text, etc settings for most of my software and tools?

I have amblyopia, which is a form of lazy eye kind of... One near sighted eye and one far sighted eye, when your brain is developing it usually picks one as the dominant eye and uses it for pretty much everything and you end up with one eye thats like 15/20 and one eye thats 20/400 or some shit.

Long story short you can train your bad eye and develop it using an eyepatch for a couple of hours a day. I want to set up a retard profile that has fuck huge text that I can lower as as my eye gets better. I'd like to be able to shitpost while improving my eyesight by forcing to work hard focusing on letters.

The point is I cannot access the config file. There's no file manager I can call up without getting a terminal, which I'm unable to access without the super key.

I really can't think of anything else other than creating a separate user. But you can switch between users pretty fast and it'll work flawlessly.

>There is a major difference between Windows and GNU/Linux. On Windows it is common, that each program together with all the libraries it depends on is installed in a separate folder. This often leads to a lot of wasted disk space due to libraries being installed multiple times, for each program that uses them.

>On Linux, programs are installed following the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (FHS). This means, that the libraries the programs depend on are all installed in a common dedicated location, so that they are usually only installed once, no matter how many programs use them. Also, programs are built in such a way, that they all use the same version of a certain library. This safes disk space (and RAM at runtime), but has the drawback, that one cannot freely install programs on different partitions or hard disks, at least not without editing system configuration files (for instance /etc/ld.so.conf.d to include the different library folders).

TLDR you can't