So Sup Forums, I'm thinking about getting a Raspberry PI Zero

so Sup Forums, I'm thinking about getting a Raspberry PI Zero.

Any cool project ideas?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rn10J9K58YA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Home Automation

/thread

If you have to ask, then you don't need it user. Trust me, it will be in a drawer gathering dust with 2 weeks.

>so Sup Forums, I'm thinking about getting a Raspberry PI Zero.
>Any cool project ideas?

You're doing it WRONG so do NOT buy one.

I tell you: 90+% of Raspberry PI's end up in a drawer or on a shelf or something like that.

There really are a lot of very cool things you can do with one.

Just wait and if you ever find that you need some interesting thing that can be built using a Raspberry PI (you actually need one for something) then get one.

Don't waste your money by just buying one with no idea what you will be needing it for because then the answer is Nothing.

Its a cheap gadget for sure. but if youre looking for reasons to get it, youre doing it wrong.

you save money not buying it at all

A server, WiFi router, DNS Server, rtmp server and the list continue...

pi-hole
openvpn
retropi

Tor exit node

Build your own smartphone.

wifi router ?

how about a little desktop clock using a small lcd screen

Just do like everyone else... Buy one and have it in a drawer and not do anything useful with it.

ads-b receiver?

Nice interesting not too hard starter project.

then put it in a little case that looks like a bomb and take it to school

make a nixie clock

Make it into a mobile hotspot that steals everyone's credentials. Yeah buddy!

How much are nixie tubes nowadays? Kinda want to make something with them

Different guy here...
Good advice. Problem is, I have no idea what Raspberry Pi or Arduino do, so I would never know if one was the solution to my problem. Here's an example (probably not doing it, so don't get in depth): I've heard of people making home security systems using Raspberry Pi. How would this be done?

I don't know but if you search around there are a couple of projects, one using a pi zero and another using a regular pi.
I'm using my pi with pi-hole and it works perfectly fine for my home network.

Yes, you can make a one button coreboot flasher.
attach a button and battery to the pi and add a SOIC clip.

Set a script to run on boot to detect for gpio button press, when it detects one, it will start flashrom thru the SPI bus, also you can use LED indicators to show the flash has been completed.

Portable N64?

Is there any additional information about this?

It is the project i am currently working on, soon i will blog about the process.

Fantastic; you wouldn't happen to have a blog I could follow in anticipation, would you?

>I'm thinking of buying something I have no planned use for
fucking rich people I swear to god

Not at the moment, but you can contact me at [email protected]

Hey op, i bought raspi 3 and zero. and this is what ive done with them

i put them in my drawer.

Just look up "making home security systems using Raspberry Pi" and see what others did.

Yes, you need an WiFi adapter and make a script to run the raspi as a router.

That's what an Atmel 328 is for.

>N64

yeah right.. not even on raspberry pi 3

It's got shit-tier bus speed though.

Friendly reminder than ODROID C2 outperforms a Rpi 3:

CPU of 2.0 GHZ with integrated heatsink.
2 GB RAM.
GPU of 700 MHz.
HDMI 2 40K 60 FPS.
h265 video compression.
microSD + eMMC for storage.
4 USB 2.0 + microUSB OTG.
40 pin UART.
10/100/1000 LAN (1 gigabit ethernet).
New ARM64 technology.

Can play Kodi just fine. Also gaymes youtube.com/watch?v=rn10J9K58YA
The only thing it lacks is the community, so why don't you join us, please?

>Any cool project ideas?
Yes, seedbox and ftp server.

Sounds like solid advice. I got one for Christmas and it feels like it has great potential, I just don't know what to do with it.

Build a 萌 robot.

second this
the zero is perfect for robotics

get a phat dac and control all your music shhit nigga
>tfw I made an music player the size of old ipods that can plug infinite size TB hard drives into it

How does one do this?

More so interested in the walking robot in

>3.05MB

jesus christ, ever heard of jpg or webm?

is it still that impossible to emulate?

fucking sucks man, gamecube & some wii games take less hardware to emulate than n64

Werks alright on my 3

More or less this. If you still insist on getting a Pi for whatever reason, then get some Raspberry Pi for Dummies or similar book so you can actually get some ideas what can be done while learning how to use it.

I have a pair of Arduinos that's been sitting around for over a year. Luckily I found them at Goodwill for cheap, so all I really lost out on so far is a trip to Starbucks.

is this better user?

>pic is in .jpg

Are you retarded or something?

200kb would be a good size
but it's better

yea, has he ever heard of it as in.. it's ability to.. compress..

anyone have issues with this file?

I have retropi set up with n64 roms but it depends on the game and what emulator you have for each specific game. Mario 64 was glitchy with whatever the default was but after I switched it to lr-Mupen64plus it ran perfectly.

Army Men: Air Combat won't run no matter what I do because the little raspberry shit is just too weak. It'll play perfectly neogeo-metal slug but will lag slightly only at the heaviest action which all things considered it probably did so in the original laundromat machines so I'm fine with that.

Maybe wait for the raspberry pi 4 if you want a little more power. Personally I already wanted to do this project and the hardware was secondary. If you don't know what you want to do with it, even for this little pos it would be a waste. If you want to learn about electronics go with an arduino instead. Leave computer work to a proper computer.

how about now

Gameboy skin with a crap ton of batteries.

Make a mitm dns and leave it plugged in at some coffee shop

kek
almost

I own an orange pi pc
Use it to download anime, which I can set for downloading remotely. Also to serve as a mediatomb server for a 1 TB HDD connected to it. And finally a cute little script running on it to turn on the red LED on the board if the temperature exceeds 50°C.

Burn it and then kill yourself

kys

What are you even doing on a tech board?

Haha that cooler

Yup. OP, install Home Assistant.

Or, you know, don't buy a piece of hardware that you don't have a use for.

Only because the emulator is ass. No one wants to work on the N64

I want to make one of these that rarely changes. Like one that detects and displays the gravitational constant, or something like that. Like the divergence meter but real. Is anything like that physically possible?

radio transmitter to hijack a local radio channel to stream nazi propaganda

>detects and displays the gravitational constant

But that literally never changes. That's why it's a constant. You could get the same effect by writing it on a piece of paper.

>Is anything like that physically possible?
Of course it's physically possible, it's just a waste of parts and your time.

You don't get it, it's ironic.

nice poo in the loo heatsink