You don't actually use spaces, do you?

You don't actually use spaces, do you?

Spaces are for degenerates

yes but no sane person manually hits the spacebar 4 times for each indent

>code "beautifier" uses spaces

NoIhateusingspaces.Whyareyouusingspaces,OP?Yousomekindapillowbitingspaceusingfaggot?

Yes but I type them as tabs for convenience.

You can save space on disk by using a language that allows for not using whitespace at all. If you know what it is that's all that matters.

Of course I use spaces, tab is what I drink you cuckold faggot.

No,thatshitsforfaggots

saving space is meaningless on the developer size as long as it doesn't affect the end user program size, which is why code minifiers(?) exist for things like Javascript that is sent uncompiled

Yeah, the C compiler wants me to use "int x;" instead of "intx;".

I use python

Tabs are for the white man

For languages where there is a universally accepted standard for how to write code, I will use that standard. Sometimes that means using spaces. For C and C++, where multiple standards exist, I use a slightly modified version of the Linux Kernel Style (I put elses on a separate line from the closing brace as in Stroustrup style), using hard tabs for indentation. I also use spaces for alignment of lines which have the same level of indentation. Regardless of how long a tab is in the editor, it will always be perfectly aligned.

My tab key is set to insert 4 spaces, which is a pretty standard feature in most IDE and text editors.
Tab sizes can vary but spaces will always be consistent across systems so it's better to use them if you're ever planning on sharing your code

Hard tab for indentation level, spaces for formatting within. For C/C++, this is the sane solution that "looks right" on everyone's machine.

While we're at it, give the braces their own lines for symmetry. Attached is a screenshot of how a human being does it.

> spaces will always be consistent across systems so it's better to use them if you're ever planning on sharing your code

No no no! This is repeated all the time. Spaces force your indentation preferences on someone else. Tabs (for indentation ONLY) allow your preferences and someone else's to be different, and that choice won't be baked into the code. Tabs for indentation are the ideal choice for sharing code for this reason.

Everything you said is exactly the style I use.

Correct.

I used to push the "opening brace gets its own line for symmetry" hard. I hated the other style.
Then when I started using it for a few weeks I can't go back. I've been converted.

I started on the other style. When developers don't use enough line breaks, nested scopes become a fucking wreck. You can add line breaks, but at that point, you might as well throw the braces back in there on their own.

>Hard tab for indentation level, spaces for formatting within.
Yes!

>While we're at it, give the braces their own lines for symmetry.
Go fuck yourself. That's so much harder to read.

For some alignment in Haskell, yes. You'd be stupid not to.

>give the braces their own lines
I hate this.