I'm once again tired of the bullshit that is Windows and making the switch to Linux...

I'm once again tired of the bullshit that is Windows and making the switch to Linux. Looking for reqs on which distro to use. I've used Linux in the past so I'm not too worried about user friendliness. I really just want something lightweight and clean for web browsing with lots of tabs over multiple monitors. Aside from that I torrent a lot of anime to watch with VLC. Not looking for much beyond that because I'm going to dual boot Windows for gaming/visual novels.

Mint or Gentoo

xubuntu

Oh by the way not sure how much specs matter for this but I'm running a Pentium G3220, GTX 750ti, and I have a 256GB SSD with a 1TB HDD.

Slackware

How much RAM?

Oh right 8GB of DDR3 1600mhz

Seconding Mint, shit just werks and it's pretty lightweight.

I'd suggest Ubuntu or Antergos, go with a DE like Gnome or KDE until you get your bearings.I should also specify to use Ubuntu 16.04 for it's stability over 16.10. Personally, I'd go for Antergos, though. Stay away from Mint, I won't get into why, you can Google that.

SOLUS!

Don't believe other people who say it's a botnet, it's the comfiest thing ever.

>tired of the bullshit that is Windows
explain why without saying this words:

>pajeet
>botnet

Piss off.

Even on a fresh install it's bloated and is idiot proofed to the point that someone who knows how to use a computer can't use it in the way that they want.

1. Vindaloo
2. Spyware

Chortled externally.

Ubuntu 16.04 if you want to use Unity. Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 if you want to use GNOME. KDE Neon if you want to use KDE.

You do not own a computer that is running Windows 10. It does what Microsoft tells it to do without your permission.

>It does what Microsoft tells it to do without your permission
It does what I tell it to do otherwise I wouldn't be writing this reply right now.
Kys.

You're cute

>he doesn't know the NSA just received a copy of his post
Kek.

stay on windows, we don't like your kind

Funtoo, Arch, Debian.
In that order.

Lubuntu is pretty nice and it runs fast on a current machine. I started with mint but got bored. Lubuntu is pretty easy to use openbox with.

I would advise Elementary OS.

Forgot the screenshot.

>I've used Linux in the past so I'm not too worried about user friendliness.

if that isn't just lip service, fedora, you'll need rpmfusion for nonfree software (like media codecs) and stuff like proprietary nvidia drivers will be a little bit of a pain, and if you don't want to have to do a full distro update every year or so it might not be for you, but it's one of the cleaner full distro experiences out there (*some minor assembly required)

>people shouldn't like what I don't like

Most VNs work fine in wine according to a friend of mine.

Linux mint with xfce

The Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display doesn't have this problem.

Install Gentoo

it's a huge botnet implemented by pajeets.

fuck you

Fed or a is gud.

Not an edgy answer, but I have tried several and keep going back to mint/cinnamon.

Fucking google it, then kill yourself.

>Stay away from Mint, I won't get into why, you can Google that.
Not them, but what specifically are you talking about? I've been following the common distros for a while now, and I haven't heard anything especially bad about Mint. I know the download got hacked several months ago, but that was fixed fairly quickly.

>overly bloated OS
>poorly designed, full of code from the 1990s that nobody even understands anymore
>can't run 16 bit programs on a 64 bit version without paying extra for a 32-bit version of Windows
>command prompt is outdated, powershell is overly verbose, batch scripting is poorly standardized
>not Unix-like
>doesn't respect the user's wishes, user serves the operating system rather than the other way around

Just because your gulag has internet access doesn't make it any less a gulag

Windows 98 doesn't have this problem.

2nd for Fedora, once you have everything set up it's comfy as fuck.

Debian

agreed

Whichever one you want to try out. Both Debian and Fedora based distros are great these days. I use Ubuntu Gnome for instance, but only because I prefer apt.

I've never had a problem free windows install, and I do this stuff for a a living.

In particular the fucking clock. Disable windows time, disable auto syncing, and it will still sync to some random server somewhere and change your bios clock with it.

Like what do you have to setup?

Mostly just QoL things, adding the RPMfusion repo if you want codecs, flash or other nonfree software. SeLinux might be a thing depending on your interactions with it. Encrypted drives and/or LVM.

Basically just getting it in the state you want it to be.

Use Mint 18.1 Cinnamon. Fucking glorious.

hello,

work in this field, I would like to remind users gnu+linux is not a consumer OS! it is used in specialized areas of computing i.e. supercomputers, enterprise, certain areas of software development, networking and storage management (servers).

there are reasons for this which can be loosely categorized by 'externally' and 'internally'. externally, gnu+machines are easier to maintain, cheaper and more reliable. internally, the l-kernel itself responds and is better suited to the tasks I previously mentioned.

notice that these tasks listed are generally not consumer oriented! linux is taking great steps and leaps in trying to penetrate that market but as of today and tomorrow won't be a consumer OS. If you are interested in this type OS, use XNU! It is a consumer friendly.

thank you for reading!!

wait i saw this yesterday too

Honestly, if you're new to Linux (read: NOT a power-user) then Linux Mint with the MATE desktop environment will be your best bet. It has all the features/compatibility of Ubuntu without so much bloat. It also works out of the box as is and is particularly good for laptops.

>Like what do you have to setup?

you install rpmfusion (read: paste one command from their website), installing non-free codecs might require a google search and another command

if you're on amd (non-amdgpu, or want amdgpu-pro (not the amdgpu kernel driver)) forget it, if you're on nvidia rpmfusion has a command you paste for proprietary drivers

in general fedora is the same amount of work you'd expect to do on any other distro but it's a little more upfront about it due to not having nonfree stuff in the default repos (hence needing rpmfusion)

in general I don't bother with flash (flash have a repo for fedora which is nice but flash on linux is awful, the flash provided by chrome is better) nor chrome (also have their own repo) and I use the generic drivers (amdgpu kernel driver) and the only thing I use rpmfusion for is mpv and nonfree codecs like mp3, everything else is mostly done

Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition 18.1 'Serena'

what's the differences between the amd drivers?

Does anyone recommend archanywhere?

I want to actually try out linux but i want to know if i shoukd jump straight into arch or start with a more user friendly distro like Ubuntu?

amdgpu (the kernel driver) only supports a few modern cards (I think r7/r9 200 series onwards, at least it supports everything amdgpu-pro does) and is the equivalent of the new open source driver

amdgpu-pro is the closed source 'front end' to that amdgpu kernel driver and equivalent to the old catalyst driver, it'll be getting the better features like freesync eventually, but it's only supported on ubuntu at the minute (you can probably install it on other distros but it's a huge amount of work)

amdgpu is configured by xorg/config files mostly, amdgpu-pro has the fancy control panel

if your card isn't supported by amdgpu you'll have to use the old open source driver (should work out the box) or the old proprietary amd catalyst driver (no longer supported, never worked well on fedora even when amd were supporting it)

it makes no difference if you don't intend to game, it should work out the box regardless (unless it's a fairly new card but this might be a new era in good amd support on linux)

>but it's only supported on ubuntu at the minute

sorry* it's supported on ubuntu/rhel (and centos I think)

you'd think getting it working on fedora would be easy if it's supported on centos but it uses xorg server versions from fedora 23 and it's now fedora 25 (1.13 from memory, when on fedora 24 it's up to 1.18) which results in a huge headache in downgrading packages

You should start out with Fedora.

>Does anyone recommend archanywhere?

can't say I've heard of archanywhere buuttttt..

>I want to actually try out linux but i want to know if i shoukd jump straight into arch

the problem with arch isn't that it's difficult, almost anybody can read the arch wiki and end up with an installation that has a desktop environment and all that, the problem is arch requires a lot of work to setup and a lot of things you might take for granted (even for a seasoned linux user) become evident, it might be a little trying for arch to be your first experience in linux

if you do want to try arch I'd recommend it in a vm first (maybe compare with something easy like ubuntu/mint/fedora/etc, once you get a vm setup it's almost no extra work) so you know what you're getting yourself into

of course, if you can follow instructions and are a little versed in doing some more lower level stuff like partitioning then arch will be easy if not a little tedius provided you have a copy of the wiki on hand

>Mint
>lightweight
is this bait?

Any variant of Ubuntu except Ubuntu itself. I prefer Ubuntu mate because it looks good out of box with a theme, but xubutu is a favorite.

Also look into KDE neon if you're a desktop fag but you're mileage may vary since KDE isn't known for stability. (werks on my machine) don't let anybody bully you into using Debian your first time. These are autists.

I would advise against Mint for the fact that it's weird and has a few more exploits but nothing like windows and honestly the DE is fine.

Don't go with an arch fork. Not that it's bad but I think it is a poor place to start for a first time even though I love Manjaro

>samefag.jpg
kevinnet

Mint/Ubuntu or Debian are nice