Is it normal for Gnome to run laggy on a 2012 machine? I have a Thinkpad T420 with an i5 2520M and 4GB of RAM...

Is it normal for Gnome to run laggy on a 2012 machine? I have a Thinkpad T420 with an i5 2520M and 4GB of RAM. Windows 10 runs flawlessly but Ubuntu Gnome lags even with the most basic animations like showing the overview of all windows.

I thought I was missing a driver or something but when I go to "Additional drivers" only a "microcode" its available.

Is this the power of Linux?

macOS doesn't have that problem

depends on the version of gnome you are using. its pretty good now 3.18+

>2017
>still on 3.18
why?

I'm on 3.20

Turn off animations,you bozo.Use gnome tweak tool to do it.

I run Ubuntu Gnome on a Core 2 Duo laptop with integrated graphics and 3GB of RAM when I'm not at my desktop PC. You have some other problem.

>Linux can't render simple as fuck animations on a 2011 CPU while Windows with all its blur and fancy stuff runs perfectly
Garbage operating system.

Hi, I saw your post and noticed you are making some mistakes.

The first one and most obvious one is you're trying to use a server OS as a desktop OS, please don't do that.

Thanks for you attention.

I remember reading once about some weird bug with the i915 driver and Gnome...

Nah, he's running a shit version of Gnome.Things have improved much.

>if you run this exact version of a DE on this exact hardware then it will actually work
never change lincucks

Welcome to Linux. It's been garbage since it's inception.

T420 on Fedora 25 with Wayland

Werks for me

What made you choose Fedora over Debian/Ubuntu? Also how is Wayland, as in any performance increases, or compatibility issues?

When Gnome 3 came out, it was basically like the Windows Vista of the Linux world. But current builds, especially on Wayland, run smooth as butter.

I'm a fucking autismo and wanted more bleeding edge than Ubuntu, but not as prone to breakage as something like Arch. For the most part Wayland is pretty great, fixes a lot of nagging problems like tearing and (besides fixing shit) it feels like a drop in replacement. But it's still young and there's instability. Gnome-Shell dies from time to time for no apparent reason for instance (and I'm too lazy to dig deep to find out why right now), but that's the price of bleeding edge. Fixes will come, and already have come (I had an issue with QT5 in Fedora 24 before it was defaulted that would kill the session, which has since been patched) as the project moves on.

what theme is that?

I've tried Wayland too but it feels almost the same. Like if most animations played at 15 FPS.

Gnome 3.22

It's the fucking Intel driver, I tell you. Google it a bit: I think there are some kernel parameters that can fix your problem. Also run htop just in case...

Switching to Wayland fixed the lag sitution on my end and as you can see, I'm using an Intel Core m3, which isn't particularly powerful.

For real though which animations? The only one I ever had a problem with was the applications menu, and that was a while ago, it's since been fixed.

Overview and applications list.

Minimize sometimes lags too.

>Windows 10 runs flawlessly
uh huh. go on.

>>W10
>>Runs flawlessly
Pick one

Try arch, xorg and kde, keeps me happy

Gnome is sadly a resource whore. You need a fucking beast of a machine to run it anywhere near flawlessly. It's a shame because it's pretty damn nice otherwise.

KDE Plasma is nowhere near as heavy even though it has a reputation for being heavy. It's fast as fuck and silky smooth even on my shit ultra low end PC and the only one whose compositor isn't a steaming load of shit outside of using wayland which is still too buggy and incomplete to use in any serious capacity (but it will get there and I'll be on that shit as soon as it does).

>You need a fucking beast of a machine to run it anywhere near flawlessly. It's a shame because it's pretty damn nice otherwise.
see Do you think a core m3 is a beastly CPU? My little underpowered laptop runs Gnome 3 flawlessly.