I got a 7700k and am wondering how in the hell you get a stable 5.0 overclock at 1...

I got a 7700k and am wondering how in the hell you get a stable 5.0 overclock at 1.3v like I see all the reviewers doing. I was only able to get a stable overclock at 1.4. This produced unacceptable temperatures in the low 90s with my h100i when testing with realbench. I was able to get a 4.9 at about 1.35v and my fan still has trouble keeping the heat away from the 80s. I tried a 4.8 and it is still unstable at 1.275. I feel like I have been cheated, like I have gotten the worst chip for overclocking in the world. I see all of these reviews that show great overclocks and mine is stuck below average.

It is very sad when I play a CPU bound game like Battlefield one. I play at 120fps. When I overclock to 4.9 I can see values of 99% GPU utilization in my gtx 1080 often and the fps is quite steady and sometimes dips into the 90s. However, at stock speeds the 99% value scarcely seen and you have to watch the value for 10 seconds to see the 99% value. Now the fps drops to the 80s or even 70s resulting in large framerate swings.

It is so frustrating! At 4.9 or 5.0 I experience either game instability which happens every one to two hours or I get overheating issues where the temperatures go into the low 90s!!!

I don't know what to do. Perhaps I need to learn to delid my processor...

Am I going insane or is Battlefield One the most shittily optimized game in existence?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_(psychology)
youtube.com/watch?v=x5e68jLErCw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Battlefield One I believe takes advantage of loadsa cores, so it only runs wonderful on CPUs with 6-8 cores.

what do you expect man?

Intel probably finds the absolute highest binned chips off the line and gives them to reviewers for exactly this reason, to make idiots think you too can hit 5GHz on a stock cooler in a heatwave in Australia!

Most of those reviewers are given chips directly from Intel, these chips are binned to be the best overclockers.

My 4790k can do 4.7 when there where reviewers pushing 5ghz, it's all to sell chips.

better cooling.
or a shit chip
likely shitchip, there's a lot of them.

You lost the silicon layer m8

Just need to get lucky. Not all of them will be able to reach 5GHz.

I swear, Dice optimized their game JUST RIGHT to make their game CPU bottlenecked to a GTX1080 right at the 5.0GHz limit.

Some conspiracy shit's going down here.

jesus christ my computer has been putting out so much heat this last couple of weeks.

Why does that 0.1GHz matter so much when it's not even going to give you 1% better performance?

This.
Intel just tricks you into buying good ''OC'' cpus when it is just a lottery not a guaranty.
t. 4690k @4.7ghz v1.41

>he doesnt know basic maths

I think his resl complaint is in how easy reviewers seem to get that crazy oc.
The difference of 100mhz isn't much, but the difference between 1.3v and 1.4v is pretty massive relatively speaking.
The end result is there's more strain on the motherboard and cpu and significant increases in heat output.

But he doesn't need that extra voltage if he'd just settle on 4.9GHz instead of crying over 100MHz.

Becausw muh 5Ghz barrier.

tfw two smart too oc

What mobo do you have OP? Chances are those reviewers have cream of the crop motherboards with over a dozen phases, god-tier VRM's, and fat caps. Maybe yours is holding you back that tiny bit.

Then why doesn't he do something about temps?
My i7 870 peaks at low 90s/high80s on a fucking Seidon 120v.

1.4v 4.3GHz

There's no way his cooling is that bad.

>i7 870
HIGH OCTANE COMPUTING MACHINE

What is a 'good' voltage? I have a 6700k coming in the mail and am going to try overclocking for the first time. I get that higher voltage means more heat and power consumption but at what value does voltage go from 'normal' to 'high'?

BF1 by far the worst optimized game ever

1.3v is a good threshold between normal and high, but the point is you want it as low as possible and still stable

You don't own Forza Horizon 3

But I mean it's a 6700k, you're gonna fuck with the multiplier first, you can get a notable boost without even touching the voltage

>code game to use one core
>worst optimization ever
>code game to use 6 cores
>worst optimization ever

Sure, sure. I'm watercooling, if I can get it stable at 4.8 GHz at stock voltage I'll be very happy and probably leave it at that. If it's struggling I'll play with the voltage, but I don't want to push it too hard. I'll probably set a limit at 1.3 based on your suggestion.

you don't know tes 4 oblivion
you don't know gta 4
you don't know that batman game that got pulled from steam
you don't know every console port ever

battlefield 1 seems well optimised from what I've seen

>Get 6600k
>accidentally set multiplier to 4.5 for 4.5GHz
>0.4GHz CPU
Should I fix it or run prime95

you can't actually do this and you are an asshole

It let me save and reboot
I'm looking at the login screen
I'm probably saving so much money on power right now

we 1998 now

you can't do .5 multipliers or go below 8x multiplier

and lowering voltage saves power, it's probably using about the same because you haven't reduced it

nah doom run pretty buttery over here

>code game to run great on everything
>game becomes the go-to benchmark of inferior hardware brand

Depends on silicon lottery and your motherboard. Overclocking is a game of patience. You'll reach a threshold where the multiplier is limited by stock voltage, and you'll reach another where you see massively diminishing returns. You won't know either vslues until you make an adjustment, stress test, and repeat.

Read an in depth overclocking guide from start to finish. it'll tell you everything you need to know and usually give you some ballpark figures.

>Six years have passed and the cutoff for stable overclocks is still 4.8~5.0GHz

I'm still enjoying my 4.5GHz 2600K that's stable at 1.265V.

>gta 4
Ugh fuck that game. The only thing holding it back is the shitty memory utilization.

>mfw over 4gb of system memory being used while my 4gb of vram sits below 1gb of usage

How fucking hard can this be to fix?

Man, I looked up like 5 guides, not a single one clearly said "increase the multiplier until it crashes during benchmarks, then increase the voltage and repeat"
I didn't want an 18-step guide to flawless overclocking and rock-solid continuity between the 4 different ways that you could increase clock speed, I wanted the "increase the GHz and test" guide

Anandtech had similar issues with theirs, read the review.
It's a lottery, there's no guarantee you will get even close to 5GHz, if you can get 4.7 stable just be happy with that.

You also need to modify the cache voltage too. Especially on newer core-i7 chips.
If you are pushing for >4.7GHz you need to de-lid intel's TIM is a joke.

The reviewers you see pushing past 5GHz just come home and de-lid. They're also running custom liquid loops with likely a Liquid Metal between the CPU's TIM and the water block.

When overclocking your pump + radiator fans should always be at 100%.

Most the cannonlake overclock are ~4.7GHz on the multiplier. Then you push to 5GHz via the BLK multipler. Also yeah that will hurt game/single thread performance as BLK over clocks increase memory latency to L2/L3/Memory as your core is running faster then your cache.

See this is exactly what I didn't want to see, I was looking for:
>bump multiplier to 4.6
>set voltage to 1.3
>reboot and continue shitposting
Fuck all this conditional shit with advantages and disadvantages, I paid for simple performance boost and damn it that's what I'm getting

i have the e31230v5. i have it at 4ghz up from 3.4 anyone know what it needs to go higher than 4. i am pretty shit when it comes to anything more than changing the multiplier or base clock

Want to know the sad truth about overclocking? They can't guarantee you anything.
They can select die's in the center of the wafers but sometimes you just get score unlucky in the silicon lottery.

It's blck you fucking african shut your mouth

Stop being lazy. Nothing in life is free. Shit just doesn't happy by itself. I hope you learned a good $300 lesson and you can finally grow up and start being an adult now.

Yeah I did, people like me will pay Intel more for them to dumb things down and that's ok
I learned that getting "the best" out of one thing usually involves making something worse somewhere else
But all I paid for was a better-than-a-6600 CPU and I got it, so I'm happy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalization_(psychology)

I've been trying to overclock my 6850k. I am lost.

I bought a 7600K and a z270 mobo. I don't plan on OCing. I just wanted better performance without hassle, it works.

>can't achieve a 20% overclock without unsafe voltage

So this is the power of 14nm. Intel seems to really be pushing what their silicon will handle.

If I wanted to do all that I wouldn't have gotten a K cpu

Easiest way to overclock is to buy an Asus motherboard with Dual Intelligent Processors and click 'overclock'.

youtube.com/watch?v=x5e68jLErCw

Things you need: CPU-Z, some stress testing tool (prime95 does fine), some tool to see temperature (I use CoreTemp)

1. Go into the BIOS and switch the voltage to offset mode, don't change any multipliers at this time
2. Load up aforementioned programs, and note down the CPU voltage when idle, and the highest value it hits under load.
3. If it's over 1.3V, go into the bios and decrease the voltage offset by however much it was over, and then some, otherwise you're now ready to overclock:

Increasing clock multiplier will increase the load voltage and temperature, but decrease stability.
Increasing the voltage offset will increase stability, but also increase temperature.

Your goal is to get the clock speed as high as possible for the voltage limit you decide on, without the system becoming unstable.

The sanest workflow for this balancing act is as follows:
1. Run p95 for a few minutes, and note down the load voltage and temperature
2a. If the load voltage is over 1.3V, decrease the voltage and go to step 1
2b. If the system is unstable and under 1.3V, increase the voltage and go to step 1
2c. If the load temperature is too high, decrease the voltage and go to step 1
2d. If none of those were true, increase the clock multiplier and go to step 1
2e. If you've hit a clockspeed and voltage combo you've had before, run p95 for an hour or so
3. If you didn't crash, p95 didn't error, and the temperature was within acceptable limits, you're done.

You can stress test for longer, but for most users, an hour in p95 is probably fine, and if you randomly bluescreen later down the line, just knock the clockspeed back 100MHz and it'll probably be stable.

1.3V is a fairly conservative estimate for the safe voltage limit for your CPU; yours will likely be fine at higher voltages, but you should research it beforehand.

You can also do more advanced things for higher overclocks as said

Enjoy your new paperweight

>he fell for the Kelvin Lake meme
Enjoy your hellfire, faggot.
>how do they achieve 5GHz
LN2 cooling, m8.

If you can, return it for a 6700K.

That's not even bad, I had 4690k thats highest possible multi was 43x on 1.45v with noctua NH-D15

Motherboard crapped out of it and got refunded and bought skylel 6600k 4.9ghz 1.44v, not too bad.

4.8 ain't happening with 1.3 unless in top 10%. Average is around 4.6 for 1.3v and going quickly up.

I settled on 4.3ghz at 1.3v for my 6600k because I didn't care that much back then.

will I even notice any performance gain if I get it to 4.5?

Damn. 1.35 for 4.8 on mine. 2450/8600 on dat cpuz bench.

1. buy CPU
2. return if OC is below desired result
3. ????
4. HOUSEFIRE

>I7 870
>4.3GHz
>mobo still hasn't exploded

Ultra durable isn't a meme.