/fglt/ Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously /**Experimental:
*Wire chat - add @helix to get started
*/

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/E40azNJC
reddit.com/r/lonely/
reddit.com/r/depression/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for CentOS best GNU+Linux desktop experience

Packages too old :(

Repeat with me: don't update it what works.

why is there no logo infront of the sponge?

I installed CloudReady on my X220, and it's quite nice. Still Linux enough? While it is based on Gentoo, I'm not sure if it's GNU/Linux?

0=0
1-1+1-1+1-....=0
1-(1-1)-(1-1)-(1-1)-....=0
1-0-0-0-.....=1
1=0

>Implying older kernels support new hardware

Oh by the way, it's Chromium OS.

So I have zero experience with Linux, but would like to have it as my main OS for internet browsing, writing documents, programming, whatever, as I really only need Windows for the occasional video game.
I was looking at Ubuntu and ElementaryOS, are they decent choices for dual booting?
Sorry if the question is retarded.

>using a kernel

who else sponge-player here?

I'm sorry I thought this was America.

>CloudReady
What meme is this?

>cross threading a cross threaded reply

It's just Chrome OS, but the Chromium version. The updates are handled by this startup called Neverware, under their product Cloudready. It's nice.

Is Gentoo a distro for me /fglt/?

I've been using Arch for a year and despite some hiccups here and there I don't have any complaints. But the thing is I don't feel like Arch is a "DYI" distro and it feels like you end up downloading a bunch of shit that you don't use. This and the fact that everytime I use something related to systemd my computer crashes.

Having said that, should I unironically install Gentoo? I want a multipurpose distro and I don't mind wasting time fiddling with config files. I have a Intel CPU/AMD GPU (dunno if this is important).

Get out of the habit of distro hopping. Do your normie tasks and learn C

Debian 9(stable) or Ubuntu LTS 16.04.2?MM?

What is MM? I know there is an MMA

yeah, it's better in pretty much every way imaginable

It does not matter, so that, Debian or Ubuntu?

Ubuntu

I'm using Arch Linux, if it matters.

Why?

Debian is a piece of trash

Why?

no ppa

it's sjw garbage

Yes ubuntu is good and it's the most supported distro. If your system is low on hardware try xubuntu.

I cannot run sway, i have this errors:
[main.c:42] [wlc] Failed to add socket to wayland display - from running in X session
[main.c:42] [wlc] Not running from X11 and no access to /dev/input/event0 or logind unavailable - error from terminal.

Ubuntu?

Debian aka SJWbian

Proof.

Of?

SJWbian.

You won't waste time with config files on Gentoo unless you do something retarded. You have 2 main config files for your package manager (portage): make.conf in which you configure your compiler and use flags (you literally write things you like) and package.use (use flags per program). And when you decide to install Gentoo try installing it from some kind lightweight live CD (like lubuntu, xubuntu) so you will have graphic interface, working browser and internet to copy/paste commands to terminal and gparted to making partitions. And you don't need swap partition, make instead swapfile. 30 GB is enough for root partition with swapfile inside.
My make.conf file: pastebin.com/E40azNJC
And if you break something during instalation, just chroot again on live CD.

Why not just stop the sjw service?
>/etc/init.d/sjw stop
or for systemd
>systemctl stop sjw
Problem solved?

are you using a non-desktop profile? you don't need that many use flags if you aren't.

CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3"

Someone isn't reading the eselect news. Also yeah you shouldn't have most of that shit in USE.

USE="X ffmpeg -vdpau zsh-completion"
Mine for comparison.

I am on normal default/linux/amd64/13.0/desktop and I need so many flags.

Ignoring the community, debian is a solid distro that is used heavily in servers. You also have no right to complain if you're using arch linux.

>/**Experimental:
>*Wire chat - add @helix to get started
>*/
why the fuck is this namefag from reddit allowed to create /fglt/ threads?

>used heavily in servers
Old ones maybe.

So I switched GPUs because I was moving my high end nvidia to another system and was going to leave GT520 for my linux box.
I install the other card and now I can't boot into the system.

I'm stuck on "Loading initial ramdisk" and nothing happens. I've tried all the boot parameters like nomodeset and all that.
Tried some rescue live CDs same shit.

After 4 hours of failing to boot up the system I went ahead to reinstall, grab my bootable USB, once I hit Install in the menu, black screen.
Try two other distros, same thing. Get another USB stick, try again, nope!

I know for a fact the gpu works, I had the same problem on my other card but I fixed it by fiddling with CSM and secure boot options for hours. Now with the same settings it doesn't work. Spent my whole afternoon trying to get this load of shit to work. FUCK UEFI, FUCK SECURE BOOT, FUCK CSM WHO THE FUCK INVENTED THIS SHIT IT DOESN'T EVEN DO ANYTHING ISTEAD OF FUCKING EVERYTHING UP

I fucking give up I'll just download Windows...

/blog

can you do bash in make.conf? i want to do:
case $(tty) in
*tty[0-6]*)
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS=" --quiet-build=y"
;;
esac

but too scared to just test

Jessie is still used in servers. People who just want a functional server don't care about SysVinit vs systemd.

alias emerge='if [[ $TTY == *"tty"* ]];then emerge --quiet-build=y;else emerge;fi'

Consider trying out one of these nice distibutions of GNU and/or the Linux kernel
> GuixSD
> NixOS
> Gentoo
> Funtoo
> Exherbo
> Slackware
> CRUX
> Void
> Devuan
> Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
or these fine Unices
> FreeBSD
> OpenBSD
> NetBSD
> DragonFlyBSD
> MINIX 3
> illumos (a fork of OpenSolaris)
and remember - keep an open mind.

cool, thanks!

>wire chat

just join as 'guest####', faggot

Try using --quiet-build and --verbose at the same time as well.

Chances are you probably don't want the full verbose output.

How much of a dysfunctional lonely fuck are you that you have to troll for dregs on Sup Forums to join your shitty yahoo chat?

what's wrong?

my whole life

>not using his name 'kde shill'
>as if he thinks no one will figure it out
neck yourself

if i kill myself and it turns out im not, will you come to my funeral? --if my parents have one?

I didn't even mention init systems you are weird don't talk to me.

:3

reddit.com/r/lonely/
reddit.com/r/depression/

how do i sign up?

What's the best way to copy files discreetly with cp command?
cp -r /source /destination &
The files are on the HDD and want to copy over to USB flash drive.
And might need to remove the USB flash drive at anytime.
Are there better ways?

stop stealing nudes from your sis macbook

1. leave Sup Forums never to return
2. >>>/reddit/

you should properly eject flash drives to prevent data corruption

h e h
e
h

It's actually my friend's exgfs nudes.
Yes, about that does data corruption means all the data that was transfered? or only the data that's being transfered?

was middle supposed to be VLC or something?

the fact that spongebob doesn't have any player atached to him is bithering me too much

What's the point of gentoo when you can install any other distro in 30 minutes or less?

I can install Arch in under 15 minutes

what's the point of any distro you don't use if the distro you're currently using works for you?

sometimes files that were moved a few minutes prior can be effected

Even when moved to USB flash drive?
I thought this only affected HDD.

Also is there an alternative command to use other than cp? something that might give better speeds, like rsync ?

>le installing gentoo takes a long time meme
cfdisk
mkfs.vfat /dev/sda1
mkfs.btrfs /dev/sda2
mount /dev/sda2 /mnt/gentoo
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
cd /mnt/gentoo
scp omg@foundabackup:/stage4.tar.gz >(tar -x)

Depending on how slow your network is this shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

whoops I made a stupid post and accidentally deleted it

sometimes files that were moved a few minutes prior can be effected

lulz, what about kernel config and compile time?
le fast gentoo meme

Gentoo takes long because it compiles everything from source code, that's the main reason to use Gentoo so makes no sense to complain about it if you're going to use it.

Shits already configured, src in /usr/src/linux and kernel in /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi that includes initramfs and points to /dev/sda2 for root.

But you can't use a backup for another machine.
And genkernel is bad af

$ systemd
Trying to run as user instance, but $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set.

What to do?

>But you can't use a backup for another machine.
>And genkernel is bad af
Yes, you can. Don't use processor specific optimization with GCC, if you don't optimize with instruction sets that your machines don't have, there is no compatibility issues. My server with the backups also acts like a binhost so I don't have to compile shit.
Genkernel is easy and there are no downsides.

looks smart to me

Hurry up and kys!

No, hes a total retard.

How viable is dual booting Windows 8.1 and some Linux distro if I only have ~13GB left on one SSD?

nope nupe nope nope

>$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set.
>is not set.
>not set

So if I were to set make.conf to x86 or AMD64 only, it would speed up compile time significantly?

I'm trying to get LUKS on LVM to work, any kind soul can tell me what kernel parameters I have to put to get it to boot?

My encrypted root partition is /dev/mapper/vg0-lvroot
So far what I got from various guides is "rd.lvm.vg=vg0 cryptdevice=/dev/mapper/vg0-lvroot:root root=/dev/mapper/root", but it goes straight into kernel panic.

Yeah sure.

You dont need kernel parameters, you need to set yout crypto in your bootloader.
Also use UUID
Check the arch wiki.

The initramfs sets up the lvm groups not the bootloader.

Jesus christ fuck off retard.

You dont need kernel parameters, you need to set yout crypto in your bootloader.
Also use UUID
Check the arch wiki.

Who are you quoting

i wasn't using meme arrows though.

If I don't set any cflags in make.conf, it will try to compile for any possible processor including my own?

Man I dunno just use -march=generic if you can't be fucked to find out which optimizations to use.

I use -march=core-avx-i because nothing I have is older than ivybridge.

>-march=generic
Don't you mean -march=native?

shhh hes retarded

Not if the goal is to produce compatible binaries for installation on multiple computers without knowing which processors are being used.

Fuck, my graphics card is heating much under linux, but with wayland it's heating even more.