Mini-STX in 2017

So I want to build a PC based on the mini-STX form factor. The problem is that right now there are only 3 motherboards on the market: ASUS H110S1/S2, Asrock H110M-STX and ECS H110S-2P. I don't particularly like any of them, especially because there's no thunderbolt 3 port if I want to eventually attach an eGPU and there's very few USB ports.

My question is, are more mini-STX motherboards to be expected soon? I know this is still a niche market but I'm not sure if it will catch on or die out in 2017. They first showed up in Jan 2016 but there hasn't been much talk about them since then. What do you think? Should I build it now or wait?

Other urls found in this thread:

smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-z270m-stx-mxm-pictured
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just get a Intel nuc

You're pretty much limited to the U line processors on the NUCs, not to mention they're usually not replaceable, whereas on a mini-stx board you can put any processor up to 65W

This fills an even more niche gap between Mini ITX and NUC so it's unlikely to get much bigger.

You're basically going to have to look for any new announcements from CES and Computex

There is this from CES 2017. Not quite mini-STX, calls itself micro-STX but has thunderbolt 3 and an MXM slot for notebook style GPUs
smallformfactor.net/news/asrock-z270m-stx-mxm-pictured

>few USB ports
just use hubs with their own power supply

>eGPU
Do explain why do you need an dedicated GPU for a system like this.

I don't need it, that's why I said "if I want to eventually", meaning in a few years when eGPU become cheaper I might try gaming on something like this

why not just go for itx then

>So I want to build a PC based on the mini-STX form factor
> thunderbolt 3 port if I want to eventually attach an eGPU

You should just die
Right fucking now, go and kill yourself, no one will miss you

>not gaming on a tiny computer and being able to pack everything neatly in your backpack when you go and spend the weekend at your parents'

Mini-ITX means a bigger, heavier box that won't fit in a backpack

What about the monitor and everything else?

KILL YOURSELF

If you want a computer that fits in a backpack get a fuckin laptop

>his parents don't have spare TVs or monitors at home

I honestly don't understand the hostility

Look, I have a chromebox right now, I fell in love with mini-pcs after this. I installed Windows on it and it surpassed my expectations. When I go to my parents' house I take it with me in a side pocket of my backpack together with the keyboard and mouse, and that's a huge advantage to me. Not to mention the low power makes me save loads of money on electricity bills every month.
I only want small PCs now but everytime I mention small PCs I get bombarded with people saying "hurr just get a laptop or a mini-ITX"

I mentioned Thunderbolt 3 so the board is future-proof. Imagine in 5 years if you can buy an eGPU, especially a small one with one of those mini-GPUs they've been releasing lately inside, for 100$ or 200$? It'd be about the same size as the computer itself and if you put them side by side it would still be smaller and lighter than a Node 202. And like I said, it's only just a precaution in case I start gaming in the future, because I don't play any games now.

cringe

A zen APU on this form factor would be epic af

>tiny
>gtx 1070

Because it's a super silly niche between NUCs and ITX cases that really doesn't exist for any reason. Doing things because you can is alright I guess but why do you expect massive selections and hardware choices for a terrible idea?

Just go Mini ITX, fuck

There are Mini ITX boards with PCIe slot above the processor in parallel with board for slim builds.
Take this if you would want to have good GPU for future.

but mini ITX is bigger

Yeah I've been drooling over that for a while but it's way too expensive for me. Zotac actually had the CI549 Nano on display on CES this year which I am really hoping has a mini-STX board inside, but nothing's been announced so far. Pic related (and it has a thunderbolt port!).

Where did you get the idea that I'm expecting "massive selection and hardware choices"? I'm only asking if more motherboards are to be expected.
It's not a silly niche. NUCs are very limited, mini-ITX is too much. Mini-STX is the perfect size if you want a CPU power on par with a normal desktop computer and don't need a GPU - all while dropping the need to have a PSU inside the case and having a low power consumption.

>mini-ITX is too much
Dude I am also obsessed with small PCs and STX is just not good enough. Pic related, we're barely losing any size desu.

yeah but you need a case to fit that AND the PSU. Mini-STX allows a much smaller and lighter case...

M-ITX build and mod an iPad display into the case.

>wont fit in a backpack
get a bigger bag or one of the rally old ones made to carry around macintoshes from the 80s.

oh shit is the power exclusively external? That'd be pretty cool.

As someone into eGPUs/TB3 I'm not sure it's a good move for desktops...

this is backpackable and is on sale with an integrated 450w PSU on newegg for $110