Walk right up there and I'll beam you down to planet surface

>walk right up there and I'll beam you down to planet surface
Would you do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nQHBAdShgYI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Will the planet be full of attractive amazonian women?

Yes, but your clone is the one who will be enjoying them

What if I kill the clone in a fight to prove I'm worthy of the amazonian women?

But I'm already on planet surface

I don't think you comprehend the dilemma at hand fully

as long as the clone has all my memories, feelings, instincts, etc.

You were abducted by Spock himself, he took you in a shuttle and proceeded to mind rape you for 17 hours

So ... you'd sacrifice yourself in order for your clone to go on existing with your memories?

If this dilemma only allows two options, I wouldn't go down to the planets surface. I just see there being a third option that's possible.

of course, if he has my memories he'll be VERY thankful, might even have a new outlook on life and appreciate the smaller things life has to offer.

That third option being clone yourself and proceed to beat yourself up?

Did you ever consider that your clone might be a difficult opponent because, you know, he knows every move you do? Perfectly symmetrical violence and shit.

Doesn't most science fiction present cloning as while they know everything you do, act like their own person and can think differently than you?

If it's good enough for the captain, it's good enough for me, some 21st century schlub.

/thread

If the transporter works, it means it is disassembling the original (this kills you) and then creating a clone of you at the far end.

This clone by all intents and purposes IS everything you were before you transported, but it technically a brand new being. Your clone.

Oh, I see. I must have misunderstood the question. I didn't know you would have died and a clone would have taken your place, my mistake. I was thinking you and your clone would both be on the planets surface.

Isn't one a clone of oneself every day?

>implying you get demolecularized when you sleep

Maybe not in such a fantastic fashion, but don't your body cells die and get replaced by new ones throughout your lifetime?

that can also happen, except the clone will be an evil alpha and you'll be a good beta cuck, so he'll still get all the amazonian women.

Yes.

The teleporting dilemma is only there because you have to actively decide for yourself instead of being incrementally changed like biology does it.

Basically, it's a "moral dilemma" for idiots who can't comprehend that if a "teleporter" is considered cloning then you are already a fucking clone.

It isn't really killing you. It stores your pattern, converts you to an encoded wavelength, then rematerializes you at your destination. You continued to exist in the pattern buffer during your transit, just not in a material form.

>arguing about science fiction tech ITT

Well at least it doesn't happen all at once

It's like water changing states from liquid to gaseous and condensing back to liquid in a faraway place, albeit aided by fantastic sci fi tech.

If your clone is an identical clone of yourself, down to the atomic level, then that clone is you yourself. Consciousness is an illusion.

No thanks.
I'd rather use my space marine power armor that i developed using the molecular fabricator thingie, and go down there in my small space fighter that i also developed with the fabricator.

Right but everything we know about biology says that this creates a clone.

You aren't shipping your actual atoms across the distance, you are simply sending the data record of your atoms in their exact locations as before.

It's just cloning, nothing more.

I'm pretty sure I can beat my clone in a competition.

>if I were to kill you and use your remains to create a copy, that would still be you

Not really

If it has my memories, my feelings, ergo all the same synapses and connections wired in my brain, I consider it as being me and not a clone

Technicallly that's what happens everytime you go from one moment to another
The illusion of continuity is only created by memory

That doesn't make any sense. You didn't exist for a few moments, which means you died. Whatever is rematerialized on the other end, it sure isn't what you call "you". Everyone around the clone will still thing it's you, but it won't be fucking you, you died the moment your molecules were decoupled and put into a buffer stream or whatever

Nah, you're merely reconstructed, just like they can put your finger onto you.

This man knows what's up

You're not your body nor your brain
You're the "observer", the entire field of perception
When your body dies the content from it disappears but you're not it's content
You're the reality itself, its all one process
Separate self is just an illusion

No, this is false. Converting from a pattern to pattern does not equal cloning, as this guy explains it . You obviously don't know biology. It would be cloning if it works as following:
>teleportation stations have a ton of matter found in humans
>first teleporter copies your current state and sends the info to the second
>then it kills you, absorbing your molecules so it has materials for incoming cloned
>second teleporter assembles you from given information by using it's local materials
>you're now a clone

You have merely rebuilt yourself. The clone will have the exact same memories, feelings, personality traits. The clone will ponder to himself whether he is still the same person or just a clone. He is, for all intents and purposes, you.

It's easy to see that once you realize we are nothing but biological robots. Extremely complex, to be point where might even think that we're not simply a certain configuration of atoms but something more transcendental. But at the end of the day, everything that you feel or think, your consciousness, is just a result of the configuration of atoms that you currently are. If we ever manage to replicate PERFECTLY this configuration of atoms then your apparent "clone" will really be yourself.

So you're saying his made up scifi buzzwords which mean nothing supersede established science because that the way you want it to be?

Sorry but
>encodes your wavelength

Is TV mombojumbo, it doesnt MEAN anything real.

the transporter makes no actual sense though

It doesn't matter whether it's a perfect copy or not, it's a copy in the end.

Okay, so it converts your matter into something, let's say light. Then that light is transferred directly to the planet's "insert device name here" which absorbs the light and rebuilds you from it. Did it clone you then or just took you apart and assembled you? We already know light is matter and light can create matter, so it's scientifically possible?

youtube.com/watch?v=nQHBAdShgYI

Well you do seem to retain your consciousness when entering a transport, so it's most likely not killing and cloning you in the process.
At least this was the case in the episode "Realm of Fear" where Barclay fishes out the missing crew members from the transporter buffer.
He was very much self aware through the entire process of transportation and could function during it.

What if instead of teleporting, you made a copy and kept the original? Then the captain said "alright now we're going to kill the original and it will be the same because ego is an illusion"

Depending on the Planet probably die...

>it doesn't matter anyway
Agreed

> wanting this bad to cuck yourself

Wrong, its like a fax machine where the sender shreds the original