codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Introduction_to_HTML
game.eggchan.org/main_out.js
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first web dev thread in awhile....thats how you know web dev is dead and full of meme "coders".

big mistake getting into this. nothing but nu males and feminsts

>big mistake getting into this. nothing but nu males and feminsts

keep in mind you are currently located in Sup Forums.org.
your expectations are really high sir, calm down.

i just dont get why 99% of web devs are hardcore lefty nu males or feminists who put a bunch of stickers on their laptop, color their hair, wear thick framed glasses, and think they're better than everyone else. disgusting.

They just want to be special snowflakes with the cookie of a extremely high annual income.
I tell you what, about 90% of those snowflakes don't even know how a computer works and even more of them don't even know how to program.

They just like playing it all 'hip and cool'. Sucking on the newest webdev 'trends', the next big thing.

I'm not saying that following the 'trendy new technologies' is bad. But whenever you pick something up, you ought to work your ass for it, you ought to learn. Not just read it for 10 seconds post a congratulatory self photography with the book and throw it in the trash can the next day.

all memes aside, should js really be the focus of web dev in 2017? I want to learn modern technologies as best as i can while simultaneously dodging the sub-human degenerate scum we call liberals.

Listen. I will tell you some things that apply not only in web-dev but in general programming and life also.

Scum will be found everywhere, no matter where you look, you will find them in front of you but that's normal.

You should set all of those memes aside and start doing what you like doing, you can't let those braindead consumerists affect what gives you inspiration.

Take everything with a grain of salt. Even their bullshitry doesn't have enough quality to stay forever.

As for your focus for this year, do it. learn it. learn whatever you feel like learning. just do it. You never know when that skill will be of use to you. So, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I got an interview for a QA test job in Boston next Tuesday. I know It's not web dev per se. I've got a few questions though.

1) will a future employer look at that testing experience and be more willing to hire me since I've got experience with testing?

2) I know nothing about Boston, I just happen to be visiting my cousin then. Cousin said I could move in with him if I get the job but I gotta pay rent of course. How much is the minimum amount I should ask for so I can live in that city without having to eat homeless people's throwaway food? I know it's very specific a question to the city and most you guys prolly don't know but maybe you'd know something about cities or where I can find that info.

3) should I just stay put and try to find a junior web dev job or would a testing job give me good insight?

So how to land first remote job?
Do i have to land junior wev dev job and work for few years first?

Also how feasible is freelancing

Lets say I have a 10x10 grid that is made using a table, and currently the user can "Activate" a cell by clicking on it.

What is going to happen is there will be anywhere from 1-5 of these grids depending on what the user wants, and they will be highlighting different cells in each one.

The current solution I have is having each table in a carousel, but I feel like this is inefficient, is there any way I can have one table, and using javascript or jquery, let the user edit certain instances of it?

I don't get it either.

From what I understand, back-end dev is generally free from it.

Have them popup and grow in size on hover or click.

>technically graduated in december
>still feel like i dont know shit
>no motivation to learn
I am doomed aren't I?

Not him, but unless you manage to get lucky or work for peanuts, very few people are going to offer you a freelance gig right out of the gate unless your portfolio is impressive. I'm currently freelancing right now as a portfolio boosting opportunity and it's mostly kinda shit.

yup

insecurity and they hate themselves

1) QA is mostly about business processes, as in checking that the right documents and specs are being produced following the right guidelines/ other specs
If by "QA job" they actually mean "writing test code job" you should be fine explaining how you managed to test code in one or two specific projects, maybe refering to buzzwords such as test driven development or whatever.
Otherwise you might want to also explain how this testing fits into the broader scope of a project, how you defined client's needs, made sure specs matched client's needs, tested code against specs, talk about project life cycle etc
2) dunno i'm yuropoor
3) QA might not be all that much about coding and more about defining and following protocols, so i guess it's up to your personnal preferences and whatnot

How do I get a webdev job as a college dropout? I've been doing front and backend for years on end but don't have anything on github because it seems kind of pointless to have website projects up there. I obviously do have a bunch of projects finished but they're not something I'd really be willing to share with an employer.

Can anyone be specific into how I could finally get a job and move out of my parents? If I should have a portfolio, then how should it be structured and what sort of projects should I have? Should I focus on a specific technology within webdev or is having a project in a lot of different languages good?

Please help, I'm getting distressed out of disorientation. I don't have anyone who can aid me irl so it's a little overwhelming moving forward on my own.

Any tips about getting that first job would be appreciated.

Thanks for the response user. I appreciate it.

Make one big full-stack project then add it to your resume.

It's all you need. If you have some large website with login, posting, privacy, or something that people actually use then you will get a job.

Can you list project ideas? I don't have any projects of that scale which I would feel comfortable sharing with an employer. Aren't things like forums overdone? Would that really be good enough?

I can't share my ideas.

Make a Twitter clone. There's enough familiar tech there to impress any HR, and it's relatively easy.

Apply put stuff on your resume and list your skills

bonus is put those websites on github, they are good enough jsut put everything you make there makes you seem more active

bonus have a portfolio site showing all the sites you've made

basic twitter/social network knock off, basic forum, basic blog thing, chatroom thing. Doesn't have to be original.

People often get hired with no portfolio and minimal skills past html, just apply to everything in your area though.

>just apply to everything in your area though.
This. Also use angel.co

I had more responses from angel.co than anywhere else on the Internet. Many junior dev positions on angel when compared to Indeed.

Haven't heard of that thanks!

>just apply to everything in your area though.
This doesn't work for me since I live out in the bush and have to take a 4 hour drive in order to get to the nearest city. Granted there are lots of jobs there, it's just a whole day knocked off to attend a single interview.

Guys, I want to make a version of terminals.io and keymailer that doesn't suck.

Basically it hooks up developers with youtubers/twitch streamers.

Anyone want to work on it? Thinking just vanilla JS, maybe with jquery for easy ajax, and PHP as an API to gather channel stats or key availability.

>Haven't heard of that thanks!
I had been applying to everything on Indeed for half a year and getting nothing.

Within 2 days of using angel.co, I already had a screener call.

Really recommend it.

Hi Sup Forums, I'm a comp sci major but know virtually nothing about computers.

Where do I begin?

There's so much knowledge and I never feel like I'm accomplishing anything when I study specific shit. Is there a track I should be following, I want to do freelance web development work in during college.

Any help with where I should begin? Anything will be appreciated thanks guys

You don't have to go to the interviews necessarily, but getting phone screens so you can see what is good before going might be good. Otherwise work another job or freelance and try to move closer? You will have to at some point anyway.

>Anyone want to work on it? Thinking just vanilla JS, maybe with jquery for easy ajax, and PHP as an API to gather channel stats or key availability.
I'll work on it if we use java on the server

I'm fucking sick of NPM, is Yarn a good alternative?

Seems I'm going insane with this shit.

Trying to use laravel with lampp. I ahve them both installed successfully but when i go to htdocs and do the laravel new test i get the /usr/bin/env: 'php' : no such file or directory.

Also why the fuck is "php -v command not found" when i type it to terminal? Isnt it really installed with xampp already?

Basically how do I run laravel with xampp (on apache and not the laravel's php built in webserver e.g. i dont want to use php artisan serve)?

Pajeet pls go

Isn't yarn just a different frontend to npm that does some caching and symlinking stuff or something?

Let me guess, you're running windows?

spring > php
fite me

>lampp

No I'm on Leenux

>java

Absolutely not. Back to 2004 with you.

Guys, is free code camp good? Can I actually use their certification as properly recognized training?

Also, what's better to learn in terms of making money part time through my own freelance stuff, frontend, backend or full stack?

its decent but it's better to use multiple sources for learning.

The certifcate is better then nothing, but actual things you've made are better.

>make money part time

learn wordpress

>Guys, is free code camp good?
It's alright. It's good practice for noob-intermediate level.

>Can I actually use their certification as properly recognized training?
It's not going to impress anyone.

>Also, what's better to learn in terms of making money part time through my own freelance stuff, frontend, backend or full stack?
Freelance is bullshit unless you have like 10+ yrs of experience in the industry. You're better off working part time at a McRestaurant and studying until you're good enough to get a real job at a software company.

you don't. Stop flooding the industry with degeneratism

im making a search function in PHP from scratch and it looks like i'll need to use session variables (for the search text, etc) so i can use that data on the next page. Is there a better way to do this...? really want to avoid using sessions/cookies.

$_GET

Just POST the search form.

In what way am I a degenerate?

Never get in php unless it's a share link.

the url becomes so insanely long tho

its posting to itself. Blank action.

Oh go fuck yourself you pretentious twat

If (isset($_POST ['search']))

What are yoi having trouble with exactly?

the user searches for something and click search, then that search data needs to carry over so they can then "filter" or go through the records that match that search data. How do i hold onto that search data so the user can look around with it?

put it in a hidden field

The search data is posted. It IS carried over as a POST named whatever the input field is named.

Wrong

Multiple GET params?

as in:
/search.php?q=foo&someFilter=bar&someBoolThingOrWhatever=1&limit=20&offset=40

And if your search form and results are on the same page, you could just dump the query and other filter params back into the same form.

nah its not cuz once they use the filter buttons to go through the data they first searched, the search variable gets erased. It gets wiped out.

i guess i could do that......lame tho

>lame

that's how it's done, there's nothing lame about it.

>Wrong
No, it's correct. We aren't in < 200X anymore. Only povertydevs are ok with a football field length URL.

Ruby and Rails + Redis + PostgreSQL + Docker is the perfect combination?

Guys, I got accepted through the screener call and test.

I'm having my 2nd phone call soon.

Cramming their preferred framework currently.

Anyone been involved in the hiring process here? What sort of projects would you look for in the portfolio of a full stack developer? what would give them negotiating power over other applicants? Assuming they're not a jerk and hireable etc

nothing matters anymore. just give up. give it all up.

They didn't even ask to see my portfolio. They just asked what projects I've done and then gave me a code test.

What was the test like? Was it directly related to web dev or Rosetta/katas?

Related to the job.

They had me write a few queries, a regular expression, answer a few questions about their code on github.

One question was like:
> given the array 8, 3, 1, 2 reverse the array and place a - between the letters so the output would be 2-1-3-8

That one was pretty fun. I did it in 1 line.

I want to become a back end developer. I think it's interesting and I've spent every day of winter vacation reading articles on treehouse/firehose/etc, watching on youtube, and actual writing on sites like codecademy.

I'm a business major, but I'm considering adding two more programming classes to this semester. However, I've heard that teachers are behind in teaching what's actually being used (excluding bleeding edge stuff) and that they teach abstract theory. One guy online said he failed a test because he did what his friend in the industry said is common, yet the teacher insisted on what was in the book.

Should I even bother taking a few computer science classes at my local community college or is it a waste of time and money?

>Ruby and Rails + Redis + PostgreSQL + Docker is the perfect combination?
Nobody?

postgre is legit but ruby is ded

>
>
>postgre is legit but ruby is ded
Why Ruby is ded?

It's not. If crystal takes off it might be on its way out then though.

Is there better alternatives?

Good god and I thought my college was bad.

if you wanna be a .net shill, sure go ahead

For performance yes, but it's extremely mature web dev wise so if you understand the ecosystem well enough you can whip together stuff faster than any other language besides maybe php. It's my go to language unless I know I need something faster. It's extremely comfy once you learn it.

Where can I learn html and css from? what books? any tutorials?

also what text editor do you guys use?

Just use notepad while starting out.
The Mozilla website has good info for html/css, click around there

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/HTML/Introduction_to_HTML

Full lazy mode:
Buy some udemy course that teaches all the basics

why is file upload so ass backwards in node.js
jesus christ I've never had to deal with such a pain in the ass

What's your favourite stack in 2017?
I'm using:

Backend language: Go
Backend libraries: Gin, Gorm
Db: Postgres
Frontend language: Typescript
Frontend libraries: my own virtual dom, frp, router and ajax libs
Platform: Linode

Very happy with this combo for most apps.

Codecademy

>Frontend libraries: my own virtual dom, frp, router and ajax libs

Unless you're working solo all the time, pick something established for all of these (there are tons out there).

Rest of the stack is cool. How is your backend development speed compared to node w/ express?

postgres
redis if need to cache results
spring
vanilla js

I've reached maximum confyness

You know what's up. This is for solo projects. For my dayjob team, I chose react/redux. But my libs are much smaller/faster/simpler. A typical frontend bundle is around 30kb minified/gzipped. Should probably get them out into the community but I don't want the extra job of being an open source maintainer right now.

Backend dev is actually faster than in node/express, because the intellisense enabled by a statically typed language enables really useful hints. The lack of generics hasn't been an issue in practice.

I feel more confident about correctness too, I don't have to write quite as many tests.

Angular or React?

Thanks

Angular definitely. ReactJS is like an obscure meme, just garbage.

Angular for SPA, React for everything else. Angular should be used for SPA only.

lmao what modern websites use more than one page

i've seen a social networking site use angular. It was a disaster.

choo

please die. Angular is so ECMAScript 5

great, so use choo.

only javascript.
i usually just use leveldb since so much shit is written around it, including distributed leveldb.
I've been using choo with hyperscript for most frontend shit. jus werks.
I host my own shit on my own hypervisor.
Other shit I keep on some shitty DigitalOcean box.

that choo library looks good. verrrry similar approach to what i'm using

I'm making an agario clone, using ogario server.

I can't figure out how to make viruses work though. this is my js script:

game.eggchan.org/main_out.js

Has anyone used Cigar with Ogario, and made custom virus skins?

Currently I've gotten this far if you want to test it out/try and hack it: game.eggchan.org

any suggestions/flaws would be appreciated
sorry mods for the shill

Why make a clone?

Why not make a new, equally difficult, game so you have a chance of becoming a rich io dev yourself?

Because technical ability plateaus at a certain point for people who are illiterate, even soldiers know this.
With a few exceptions silicon valley are the bottom-feeders of the tech industry.

What is the best javascript book? Or web dev book in general

JS is undergoing some damn fine changes in ECMA-7, God bless brendan eich.
Besides, as long as browsers are implementing it, JS will be important, even after the last dude on earth switches to fancy web frameworks and dynamically generated content so that your grandchildren won't know what HTML or CSS are, even then JS will be useful.

is the MEAN stack any good?