/bcl/ - business class laptops

Let's have a thread for more than just thinkpads. Let's have a business class laptops thread.

Why limit yourself to Lenovo Thinkpad when there's also fantastic Elitebooks and Latitudes out there being sold for very similar prices. They all have their advantages and disadvantages over the Thinkpads.

Latitude spreadsheet class, precision for actual work

2013 15" macbook pro.
They go for under $1,000 and their support is still good.

For everything under $900 >>>Dell Inspiron or older macbook pro

>Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Really makes you think...

Elitebooks displays are fucking shit and 9/10 chargers develop coil whine.

They cant beat thinkpads, thats why they're cheaper.

Also older dells are hot as fuck.

2560p owner here.
Replaced my C2D Macbook Pro with it a couple of years ago.
No regrets. Still running great!

>Elitebooks displays are fucking shit
lmao coming from a fucking chinkpad user

I have that Dell
It is absolutely fucking garbage

You upgraded to a quad core +SSD yet?

>quad core
This kills the battery.
The 2C/4T i5 is more than sufficient for my needs.
I even did some light 2D graphics/1080p video editing without any issues at all.
Just proves how good Sandy Bridge was.
It came with a docking station so it helped me a lot when I decided to switch my desktop from a mac to pc.
I had an SSD at some point but I moved it to my desktop. I mostly browse the internet on my laptop nowadays.

>Tower Mac Pro
Good
>wallpaper
Good
>that one gen of thicc Apple keyboards
Bad, those things are terrible. Used one myself for years. Get yourself a proper keyboard.

This. Don't waste your time.

what do you mean? The crumb eater is the best Apple keyboard. Clicky, not too loud and looks great.
Anyway, I sold the Mac Pro recently.
I'm gradually purging Apple products from my environment, the only one left is the iPhone.
And as much as I want to replace it with an Android device, approx. 70% of my contacts use iMessage.
I was one of the biggest macfags back in the day but since the 2013 trash can pro I have completely lost faith in Apple.
Not to mention the non-upgradable, underpowered mac mini from 2014, single port abomination of a macbook from 2015, "courageous" iPhone 7 and now the donglebook "pro".
It's only getting downhill, it's both sad and amusing to watch. I've been using Apple computers since the PowerPC era...

Thanks for following my blog and be sure to subscribe!

You could always improve battery life with throttlestop though?

I'm considering grabbing a 2560p or 2570p and slapping a quad core in there. It'll be nice to have a decent performer on the go and I won't be using it on the battery much.

It's nice to see such small laptops still being socketed. Unlike the thinkpads.

This

>name is thinkpad general
>non thinkpad posts usually just get ignored or told to buy a thinkpad
>any laptop recommendation thread is flooded with thinkpad recommendations

My work use top end inspirons as opposed to latitudes or precisions, is there any downside to this?

Posting in the most ebin bread that's been on Sup Forums in a long time

Will this work?

I thought the 2720qm was faster than that.

yeah, should work

It turbos faster than that. 3.something GHz iirc

Sweet.
That's 350 aud for a quad core mobile workstation. Wow.

Will the quad core throttle under load? It's 10w more than the dual cores even though the laptop seems to have pretty good cooling.

Should be fine. I've never had a HP laptop overheat and the elitebooks have some of the best cooling among HP laptops. It should handle an extra 10w like a champ.

I got a couple of 2540p's for 89 dollars each.

They're great. W10 has two problems with them that pop up though, but only once: First the thing will stop charging so you have to do a battery reset and the problem never returns again and then the second issue is W10 will fail to install properly but will be installed after a restart.

Amazing value for money though.

I have a similar Latitude as the one in OP's pic, e6320.

Its alright. The problems I have with it. The screen is trash and the viewing angle is shit. I have to bend the screen back to be able to see it normally. And it has only one (wtf dell) USB port.

What I like about it is the mini-HDMI output that can output 1080p to a TV. It has great out of the box Linux support, and the other day I dropped it from 0.5m height while it was open and nothing happened to it. The keyboard is nice for typing too.

I paid $30 for mine, used, so I can't really complain.

I also have an HP EliteBook 2730p I bought new in 2009. That thing is great. It can take a beating (and it has). Except a few minor cosmetic chips it worked brilliantly up until a month ago when the HDD failed, I'm surprised it lasted this long. Now I use it as a Tails system because everything else works. I really don't want to invest $100 in an SSD because that's how much the whole computer goes on eBay. It's easy to service and you can replace/upgrade the RAM, battery, SSD/HDD etc. Don't feel like throwing it away because I've had it for so long.

How's Linux compatibility?

>6320 has only one usb
Same as my t100ta. Inconvenient sometimes but usually fine.

Also fyi, your esata port is also usb. It's a hybrid.

Is the t420 really that bad for our time?
I consider buying one, but the lack of power really bothers me