30 random posters from Sup Forums are transported back in time to 1850s in the US

>30 random posters from Sup Forums are transported back in time to 1850s in the US
>purpose is to accelerate technology through knowledge already acquired

What would 2017 look like if this were to happen? Let's ignore all the time travel semantics and purpose bullshit for the sake of the question.
Are computers too complicated to make any size able impact in the past? Maybe Sup Forums is too stupid to bring any change? Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5ODzO7Lz_pw
topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=QW-CHEATSHEET&Category_Code=QW
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do not listen to this person

Arch vs Gentoo world wars would ensue.

OOP would be ironically adopted as a philosophy and shilled like Islam just to fuck with the world.

Saying that in the future (2017) you have all this cool technology won't help anyone build it in 1850.

You can't build things without the right tools. I could advance theoretical physics / mathematics easily but building the manufacturing equipment to produce modern technology might be beyond me.

Not to mention obtaining the raw materials and refining them correctly.

How the fuck am I gonna impact the past with a desktop.
>no power

>What would 2017 look like if this were to happen?

Are you kidding? Nothing would happen. 30 random Sup Forumstards would die almost immediately in the 1850s. Talk about zero real-world survival skills.

Nobody here knows anything about how to actually *build* a computer from nothing. Hardly anyone here even understands how logic works at the transistor level, and I challenge anyone here to explain the process of actually building an individual transistor.

At best, Sup Forumstards would be the local buffoon who people take pity on in exchange for hearing his ridiculous tales of magic boxes that people would use in his imaginary future.

For the sake of the question you can't bring any electronics with you.

>no power
Yeah power was invented only recently. Hopefully you aren't one of the 30.

they would argue with each other trying decide on a standard format for punch cards so much that nothing would get done, all would end up in the crazy ward

How long will it take to convince the world sand is the holy grail and that electrons exist and do some funky shit?

>average memelord casiothinkpad user transported back during a time when steam engines and cotton gins were the latest technology

I mean I know how an airconditioner works, but no idea how to build one from scratch.

>tfw you'd probably just buy some slaves and make them wave fans

1850 is bit too far back, 1920 is probably the earliest for the average Sup Forumsentooman to do something (like with radio and early electric tabulators).

1970 would be awesome Tbh. Beginning of personal computers, working with unix, using mainframes, etc...

How many people here can explain how to build a DC or (better yet) AC motor?

And I don't mean that grade school "spin a magnet inside a coil and current is induced" bullshit. I'm talking about what materials to use for each part, what to coat the copper in to prevent it from shorting out the winding, how to orient the windings, how to construct the commutator, etc.

If you actually had a solid grasp of how to build generators and motors, you could probably become the replacement Edison pretty quickly. Then again, someone smart like Edison would just steal you work and out-maneuver you in the market.

We could advance technology in a general sense but probably not computers specifically because as was said here you can't do anything without the prerequisite processes and tools. Even if we advanced everything by 40 years it's hard to say what 2017 technology would look like.

I'm thinking similar. We wouldn't make it passed the transistor.

How many on Sup Forums actually know what AC is and why we use it? I doubt even 25%.

AIDS is introduced to the world at the end of the 19th century.
Fast forward to present day, an easily affordable cure is available to even the poorest dindu due to scientists having been able to research it for 60 years longer than they should have.
Thanks Sup Forums

Most of you fuckers can't define 'electrical current' without loooking it up.

Gokillyaselves.mp4

I would just cook meth. Everyone would remember me forever.

>How many on Sup Forums actually know what AC is and why we use it? I doubt even 25%.

Something to do with killing elephants. I think DC kills elephants, and we don't want to kill elephants, so we use AC instead. Win for the elephants!

I *might* have that backwards, though...

You won't have sudafed or other precursors to make it.

Chemistry is complicated shit. Won't happen user sorry, wait a bit.

They would probably think I was an alien and shoot me.

You can get pure Ephedrine from a plant. You underestimate my cooking abilities.

You're hired.

NPN dope in silicon
input in the first N and P output is N
base emitter and whatever the last one
that's from the top of my head

"What's with the life jacket?"

This thread reminded me about this TED talk

youtube.com/watch?v=5ODzO7Lz_pw

This guy made a toaster from raw materials.

Also NAND gate and why it works.

Computer knowledge wouldn't have much impact. The best chances on changing the future would be to seek out the great minds of the time and try to give them ideas from the future and have them do it instead.

>Computer knowledge wouldn't have much impact

Could have a huge impact if a few were somewhat competent devs/engineers.

Do you mean a more in depth reason that the efficiency of transmission and the versatility provided by transformers to get whatever voltage you want easily?

0 0 out 1
0 1 out 0
1 0 out 0
1 1 out 0
I forgot how it works then again I can just look up the diagram
I remember making a XOR gate a long while ago with breadboards

The best thing you could possible do is use your current skill set. Like teach them basic mechanics or how to build structures.

But, to specifically accelerate tech, the best option is to meet up with George Boole. Help him quickly develop Boolean logic. DeMorgan's law if they don't already have it. Explain markov chains and how deterministic machines work. Show mathematicians what Turing machines/completeness is.
Fuck them up with the Pumping Lemma. Then NP problems.
Basically teach them as much as you can about mathematics and logic. 2017 would be pretty nuts if you could do that.
>implying anyone from here could survive long enough to get in touch with these guys.

>implying anyone from here could survive long enough to get in touch with these guys.
this desu

I'd probably be thrown in jail because everyone thinks i'm crazy and all my money has pictures of presidents who haven't even been in office yet

>What would 2017 look like if this were to happen?
Not different at all because modern technology doesn't just rely on a few trivial, generalized bullet points that those dirty 19th century savages were too dumb to wrap their heads around. The average Sup Forums poster doesn't have a great grasp on much of the hard theory behind modern computers let alone the knowledge of the manufacturing processes and vast infrastructure that makes them possible, or god forbid any actual historical context or understanding of what someone from 1850 could even do with a computer because anything not STEM is for SJWs.

>Are computers too complicated to make any size able impact in the past?
If you somehow hit the jackpot and sent someone back from here who knew their shit and could somehow circumvent the total absence of clout and credibility to make people actually listen to them, they could get a nice head start if they could demonstrate the advantages of the technology in a way that justifies the immense cost it would require to build something actually useful with what was actually available at the time.

You wouldn't have to start from zero in this regard. 1850 wasn't too bad electricswise, coils and simple electromotors were already known, just think about Morse, this already existed. And even if not, you'd have the Fact that you KNOW coils can be coated in a something that you just forgot what it exactly was, so you'll have to experiment.

This is also not a bad idea, if you can somehow get around the fact that great minds were always pestered by people with ideas or lacked funding, you'd need to stick out and/or provide money. That'd be really hard without any special knowledge in one of them.
But on the bright side, even the humanities, music, literature, art or business would help there. Logic, philosophy and economical theory could get you in contact with the academy. Knowing about effective production cycles by even understanding a single episode of "how it works" could probably support a lot of others in your group, making a small career in a factory around the area. This knowledge might sound trivial, but it isn't.
Even if you can't use programming actively there, you'd have algorithmic thinking. Just think about how many people even today lack it.

He's a witch, burn him

But you have to admit assuming you can get their attention. And didn't go full stupid "IM FROM THE FUTURE"
You could actually advance math a ridiculous amount which would help us out now because we might be able to have answers for certain theoretical shit holding us back today .

thanks. interesting watch

If the right people, that are actually knowledgeable in different fields, get transported back. There definitely would be some change in 2017.

The average Sup Forums user wouldn't fit in that category

>find hitler, look after him in secret
>get rich from the nazis by selling out all the wealthy jews and rothschild members
>run away to the US and build microprocessor factory
>build technology funded by government
>build first modern computer by 1950 and die before making anime real

Step right up ladies and gents!

user's famous Gentoo elixir! Cures all ails!*

30% Alcohol, 20% Premium Snake Oil, 25% Cocaine, 15% Heroin, and 10% Meth!

Only 10 cents a bottle!

*not responsible for immediate death upon consumption

Oh, man, good point! If I went back in time, I'd just get my hands on as much opium as I could and go out in a blaze of blissful unconsciousness. Preferably after banging a few Chinese slave whores.

>Show mathematicians what Turing machines/completeness is.
>Fuck them up with the Pumping Lemma. Then NP problems.

Oh boy, all the useless stuff.

Meanwhile, everyone else is over here figuring out how to become an oil tycoon or the first person to light up Paris.

somebody's been watching too much hell on wheels

>all the useless stuff
kek, confirmed for retarded.
I said go with what your skillset is. I don't know the first thing about oil but I can give them some math know how we take for granted.

> I don't know the first thing about oil

Useful stuff.

> but I can give them some math know how we take for granted.

Useless stuff.

Seriously, that's only of academic value. That doesn't help any computation to actually get done.

You'll starve to death having provided no value to anyone.

Nope, just watched Deadwood, though. Holy shit was that ever good. The writing was top-notch. All the drama *actually made sense*.

Dunno what Hell on Wheels is, but I'll look it up.

>oil tycoon
this is the best option

Trying to make a computer in 1850 is retarded.

I can see 30 Sup Forums posters being able to hatch a scheme to become a group of Rockefeller's

Horizontal integration, yo

3 things that would probably be a huge advancement technologywise would be:
>Liquefying gas (Linde process)
>Haber Bosch-process for producing ammonium (fertilizer)
>Contact Process for making sulphuric acid

Under 30 people, there might be one who knows one of them.
You'd probably just advance it by 20-40 years, but it could be easily done on the shoulders of giants that were already there, and give you loads of money.
That should be reinvested into scientists and engineers, that you could hang around with to give them ideas.

nice bait m8

You know everything you use came from theories?
Your nice desktop you use to jerk off to your waifu is because of guys like Von Neumann.

If things were different, things would be different.

I would probably attempt to recreate the modern medicines that makes our lives longer, we have to recognise medicine is technology.

Power transmission (DC wins)
vs
Transformers (AC only)

The theories described above are not meaningful or useful for the creation of value. They're great academic concepts. At best, they can be used to explain to your boss why you cannot, in fact, do X in software. But they don't have any practical meaning to the creation of the transistor-based computer.

Frankly, you guys reek of college kid. You think that covering basic CS theory makes you somehow valuable. It doesn't. It just means you meet the absolute minimum of knowledge to get handed a degree. And guess what? It means you still have virtually zero value to the world. Christ, interviewing new grads is a horror show. The whole time you're wondering WTF this dork is going to actually do for the company.

If you wanted to ACTUALLY contribute valuable theory, you'd be talking about EE concepts. But you're not. You're just jerking yourself off about babby math.

>flooding the world with Africans

Nice future you got there m8

Technology is a meme. Aside from advances in medicine and some mechanical automation just about every other advance has had an equally negative effect.
Let's invent bigger weapons so we can kill people faster.
Let's invent a huge communication system for the world so people LITERALLY request to be spied on.
Medical advances aside, I'd happily go back to the dark ages.

>technology is a meme

I'd get them to ban lead almost immediately, we had lead in everything up into the 1970s and leaded gasoline was finally banned in 1996. After I'd start with the technology and physics as I know a bit about both and then watch as the country doesn't have to deal with breathing, eating a drinking a poison that makes people retarded, irritable twats.

Thanks, you just proved my point. What value does posting on an image board all day do to advance mankind? It doesn't and you know that.

>causing an early baby boom and making the present world a Malthusian catastrophe with tens of billions more people

Nice job fucktard

>I'd get them to ban lead almost immediately

probably the only clever "quick" move in this entire thread.
could be communicated in a fucking sentence.

you can also let them know that speed has a limit (light), but that was discovered soon anyways with Maxwell.
maybe tell them to never produce/smoke cigs too.

also penicillin, "To cure those epidemics look for a fucking fungus"

>Tfw I actually feel smart for once.

On another note I feel like medicine and military advancements would be huge. As a military member I can tell you we've made huge leaps even in recent years just with basic implementations like IFAKs and actually teaching First Aid tactics. Smithing a modern automatic weapon would not be difficult.

Back to the electronics aspect though I've actually wondered this a lot. I have an Electrical background from the Navy but I've always wondered how much of a difference it would make even if you could send someone back in time. So much of our technology is predicated on having other technology already available to manufacture precision parts. Like making a transistor for example. (at a size small enough that it's not just a vacuum tube, which is what the transistor basically replaced if I remember correctly).

I know it's babby math. But explain to me how you'd work on the transistor and doing all your EE experiments in the 1800's?
With what equipment?

>1850s

teach the south how to make atomic bombs so they win the civil war

>atomic bombs
>no planes

Try explaining what the fuck uranium is and where to get it and about 80 years of physics in 10 years.

also
>radiating your own homeland

People already smoked in those times and I don't know how you'd go about convincing people it was bad for their health because it's not readily apparent. I could easily come up with a test to show that lead is a dangerous substance and that using it in any human ingestible is bad but how can you do the same with smoking? People can live into their 80s and 90s quite easily as a chimney and while it's more common that doesn't happen an exception would produce significant doubt. Doubling down on the doubt would create a divide.

>hey guys I'm going to need you to stop using that cheap, readily available and extremely versatile product because it could be bad for you health.
Good luck. Look at China with brown coal, they know they are all dying of cancer from pollution but it all comes down to money.

Computers hahaha that's cute.

I'd grab a napkin, draw this, hand it to Otto Von Bismarck and wish the world the best luck.

I hope that was supposed to be comedic. The guy intentionally went about that in the most idiotic way possible and then simply copped out on everything he attempted

Hate to break it to you, but people knew that lead wasn't a bright idea to ingest for ages. The romans discovered it, mainly because lead was in widespread use in those times.
You'd need to convince them with studies that long term exposure is harmful even for small dosages... also, perhaps you might not have to deal with a lot of lead stuff today, or asbestos, as I would totally go for that, too, but lead was widely used for reasons, it was available, cheap, easy to use and did the job. If you'd take it away at that time (before technology was ripe for replacements) you might actually hinder it.

DC ain't my homeland

>not just repeating to general lee what you learned in history class. Just remembering a few things about of the Battle of Gettysburg & the Capture of New Orleans, might be enough to change the outcome of the war.

Wait is ephedrine actually part of meth? I take it sometimes

>But explain to me how you'd work on the transistor and doing all your EE experiments in the 1800's?

See prior comment:

Which is why I said:

and

Money wouldn't be much of an issue if I can get a majority of the voting populace through fear. Fear that they become stupid and die early.

Romans used lead as a sweetener, as far as I know, they don't exist anymore. That's a huge leap in logic but I think it's appropriate.

And yes, a test to show long term exposure to lead is what I'd use. The trade off to a cheap and easily obtainable resource would be to have smarter people. I'd get the credibility by creating a light bulb way before Thomas Edison and by using AC electric to power it, and to make DC batteries. Perform the test on prisoners with life sentences and POOF! after 30 or so years, if I didn't die, hopefully ban lead in time so everyone gets to see the singularity. A bit lofty on that last one but I need goals.

>computers

Lol no. I've been shooting and modifying firearms for almost 10 years now. I'm going to prototype a crude remake of my akm. It'll be a bitch to get the internal parts right, and to get a 7.62x39 tapered steel cartridge to fire from it, but I'm gunna be a fucking gun manufacturer.

Where does precision come from?

Say you want to build a lathe or a milling machine. Where does the precision come from to make higher-precision parts necessary for automated firearms?

this, they didn't understand autism back then, when they see the two fat fucks screeching over gentoo/arch they are going to think that its actually important enough if two adult males get this pissy over it

stoneage

This.

The best part is you already know this fuckboy's moves. You know what he does, when he does it, and you can spend all the time in the world sitting in the current day coming up with a plan to fuck him over at every corner.

Plus I imagine it wouldn't be all that hard to just counterfeit a metric shit ton of old world currency and just buy everything and everyone

Sex robots everywhere

That was a lot of my point.

>Provide money
Easy. Just open up a savings account before you go back and when you get there reverse inflation will have made you a very wealthy man.

I'd shill hard for 6.5mm bullets and try (and fail) to make core memory.

I wouldn't be able to make a computer, but I could at the very least try to make the first light bulb and improve battery technology. The first lead-acid won't be made until 1859, and NiMHs shouldn't be THAT hard to make, right?

I'd make guns with detachable magazines a thing. C1 shouldn't be that hard to make, either. EFPs are easy, but getting the materials will be hard or expensive.

I don't know if I'd help out the Confederacy.

I'd also try to get stick welding to work.

Nitrate film shouldn't be too hard.

I wouldn't know where to start, honestly. Cars and heavier-than-air flight is very important, but I don't have much of a clue how it would be achieved.

What country are you in? That stuff is banned in the US for killing people and causing kidney failure.

And we don't ban half as many supplements as the EU.

>bada-bing
>bada-boom

When I was bicycling the pacific coast, I met up with a couple on the same trip, and we hung out at a country tavern one evening. This was in bum fuck Washington state.

We noticed that the bartender seemed a bit off. He was great at getting beers, cleaning up, etc., but he basically didn't talk to anyone. He kept his eyes down the whole time, never made eye contact.

Turns out he's the son of the owners. He's probably autistic, at least to some degree. No idea if he ever had treatment for it. The parents bought a bar and turned it into a business that could support their kid.

People knew what autism was, even if it didn't have a label. There was a wide variety of 'normal' and you pretty much just accepted it and accommodated it.

Don't forget asbestos.

"Wash your goddamn hands"

>1850s in the US
fuck all would change

My bet is that all 30 would either be killed or die of some disease without accomplishing anything.

>Then again, someone smart like Edison would just steal you work and out-maneuver you in the market.
This. Easiest solution is to just kill yourself

>or die of some disease
more likely, everybody else would die of our modern diseases

It's really hard to say, both what they will be carrying and what they will be exposed to.

There are many diseases that aren't common or are eradicated now that would be around back then. We could even be worse off if we were exposed to them now, there are a number that are worse to get as adults that you would miss being exposed to as children

This probably.

i didn't mean real autism, i meant pony-watching self-unaware autism

I'd be wearing this T-shirt. :^)

TOPSY NO!!

Can you post the version not for ants?

This thread would be better if it started. Let's pretend it's 1850 in Sup Forums

No, I got that from the t-shirt website. They don't provide a higher res.

topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=QW-CHEATSHEET&Category_Code=QW

>mfw