FUTURISM

Why don't we have this yet?

I blame faggy smartphones, apps and fossil feuls for holding back technological progress.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Mars
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why don't we have moon bases and shit you mean? Principally because there's no good practical reason to. The main reason we bothered with sending humans to space was the massive dick-waving contest that was the cold war. Once we put some dudes on the moon and thereby demonstrated the superior size of our schlongs, there was no point in doing it again. You can get science done cheaper and more easily if you don't have to bring around the fragile meatbags and their big, heavy life support systems.

Why arent we colonizing Mars tho?

>You can get science done cheaper
You can get communism, GULAGs are free.

Why go to mars when theres room on earth that is infinitely cheaper?

MUH SOLIDARITY

MUH HATE FOR PEOPLE

MUH DUMB FANTASIES

Why would we? Serious question. What's the advantage of spending several trillion dollars sending rockets there and building a little base where some humans can live? Probably not even self-sufficiently, for that matter.

There's really no reason to other than "but space is cool".

where is my atomic-powered jetpack?

Because there ain't shit there besides some red rocks and sand.

We'd probably have to terraform it or we'd have to send shit over there that would allow people to even grow food.

Nevermind that the planet is DEVOID of all plant life and surface water...

Because that's commie propaganda to make people forget about lack of kepchuk and kolbasa.

>go to mars

>no merchant
>no gibsmedat
>no peaceful refugees

Monetary Market System

>Nevermind that the planet is DEVOID of all plant life and surface water...
And atmosphere, and ionosphere.

>he thinks fossil fuels are bad

huge as fuck and super caustic to make

>move out into the wilderness in alaska
>same thing, infinitely cheaper

???

uhhh
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Mars
>breathable* atmosphere

I have a strong urge to see a bomb the exact size of it dropped on that after its completed.

>doubt.jpg

>as much electricity as a nuclear power plant

What's the point?

Remember the time when people said a single nuclear power plant could power the whole world? Then suddenly it's a continent. A country. A region. Only 5 million people and associated industry.

We have bigger issues with efficiency than pollution or production. Like how we need a towering stack of internet technologies running in a dozen sandboxes on 00's era supercalculators just so we can send each other >1kb posts.

>I blame the super computer in my pocket for holding back progress.

>fossil fuels
You hit the nail on the head. We have zero point energy and it will never see the layout day because the minute it did the world's economy would collapse

Light of day
Fucking autocorrect

USA Empire = Dark Ages

No technological progress because USA is an Oligarchy addicted to oil and consumerism.

This.

I blame
>marketing
(that kind that jews everything out of current gen products before allowing next gen tech to be produced and sold) and
>political correctness
(be kind to religious people and condone their mental deficiency; gender and race based strategies and so on).

These two traits hold back human progress at this moment.

We just aren't as smart as we act like we are.
Most of the current tech we pretend is so futuristic is based on 50+ year old major breakthroughs.
We are living in a time of great engineering but you can only engineer the shit out of old breakthroughs for so long before you need new breakthroughs to advance.

I thought the rest of the world was really brilliant and had their shit together, but no it's up to us and all our fault nobody is coming up with shit.

People are always behind what is technically possible.
We have had commercial computer controlled lighting systems for ~40 years, yet it was never adopted because people didn't see the point.
We made fitness tracking machines that could track acceleration, pulse and they were small enough to have multiple sensors on the body, but people just wanted a pedometer.

The way we get these things is by slowly introducing the features.

A brilliant way to do it is like Tesla is doing with their cars: incremental updates.
Sell people a thing they already know how to use and then add features too it after they paid for it.

Like the people who didn't get a the fancy lighting system is now slowly buying a billion adapters that gives them the functionality, but internet driven.

Because people don't understand the new technology, we get a worse infrastructure and it takes us much more time to adapt to it.

you're assuming that what's technologically possible is a good and worthwhile thing to have.

also remember you're not competing in a vacuum, you're competing against what's already there. Light switches are simple and very cheap and more than good enough for most people's room-lighting needs. I could wire up all my lights to some fancy system that lets me control them with my smartphone. It's possible and it's on the market right now. I don't because I don't see the benefit as big enough to be worth spending the slightest bit of time or money on. How hard is it to flick a light switch after all?

We unquestionably already have the technology to colonize the moon. I think the primary issue is the lack of incentive to do so.

the other day i was smoking weed and i thought about how if youd take a shit in space it would freeze to your asscheeks so its literally impossible to shit in space

Problem is, as soon as you make it comfortable, they'll arrive. Mars is firewalled.

Just wait till EM drive is tested, successful and changes spacetravel forever.

The solar system will have never felt so close and within our reach before, then futurism will really arrive

We will probably see Cowboy Bebop levels of colonization and terraforming/habitat building on moons and planets.

The future is bright.

now tell me about all the environmental impact made by the production of the materials required to make that thing

I was about to be like /sci/ and make fun of the EM drive because of how unlikely it is to work/make any significant amount of thrust, but seriously, we need some hope. I really fucking hope that thing works, because space travel is looking to be our final savior here.

>any significant amount of thrust
In it's current form. We started the same with steam engines, now we have cars that run smooth as hell and no one would imagine shoveling coal under the dash.

The general reaction against the EM drive is from autists beating their chests and wooping about it breaking the laws of physics because there's no way established science could /ever/ be wrong.

I want it to work just to embarrass every arrogant faggot who took their physics classes too seriously.

>implying American oil interests and (((banks))) aren't using their influence to slow the advance of technology, such as alternative energy

A lot of available consumer technology is derived from those space missions and exploration. Not exploring space is like if civilizations stayed on one continent and never explored the rest of the planet. You're fucking insane to stay in one place.
Wow that would be useful since they don't build the other type of plants anymore

We never achieved communism.

Thank god for that.

We'll never colonize solar system with this attitude.

Why colonize a planet so close to earth? It makes sense to me to leave this planet, as a species we have all of our eggs in one basket. Especially when we know it will be destroyed eventually. Ours is possibly the only intelligent life in this universe, so we have a duty to preserve and spread it. But mars in the moon are good for only a proof of concept type of colonization. Plus mars' lack of a magnetosphere would pretty much wipe out any atmosphere we spent time and resources creating once a good solar wind hits that shit. I'd like to see a space hook built before we attempt to colonize any planet.

We'll never colonize the solar system with Communism, either. We'd be working on new technologies to deal with the toilet paper shortages.

Once an initial outer space habitat is built there are a few things it'll accomplish.
First it'll turn into the book the moon is a harsh mistress- we need a space prison to send most internet users to
second, people will find it worthwhile to create a space elevator to transport things up and down from space
third, it'll make it all easier to explore space without having to launch everything off through gravity and hope it all makes it
and there is probably other stuff but i think space prison is the real selling point

well memed.

It may be a meme, but it's a true meme.

>mfw sandniggers can get energy for free from the deserts all the while selling black liquid to capitalist pigs in the west.

back then all it had to power lightbulbs, a shitty black and white tv most could not afford and a foodmixer

No it's not. We never had communism on a large scale.

It's expensive here bro.

>taking science classes seriously is a bad thing
t. gym teacher

>What is Russia, 1920s to 1990s

You dumb motherfucker.

It was sabotaged by the West just like Zimbabwe and Venezuela and Cuba are currently sabotaged by sanctions

Western attempts to colonise space were doomed from the moment they rejected nuclear power. For a project of that scale, chemical rockets just ain't gonna cut it. Now the West is in terminal decline and we'll have to wait and see if China or India steps up.

It's a bad thing when science becomes a your political ideology, i.e. you start arguing that [insert behaviour deemed unscientific, usually religion or spirituality] has been holding us back throughout history but that Scienceā„¢ will defeat it and usher in a utopian golden age.

retro futurism is best scifi

Because god doesn't approve of science, therefore, no NASA funding of moonbases.

>2050
>China/India/US/EU/Russia has moon base
>China/US has Mars base
>India has asteroid base

I can already see the future where poo and chingchong are close to dominating the world power

Cuz WE need fresh air and fresh water and love
No ice fossil haha and hate
Haha

Xing xong will eat yo mom haha

Such a word salad. You don't understand how "Scienceā„¢" works if you compare it to a "political" "ideology".

>why don't we have 60s space opera

maybe because it would be fucking useless?

We have VR, the internet and self-driving cars, you faggots can keep dreaming about living in 0.4 g and getting cancer from cosmic rays

Why do people say "b-but it's impractical!"? Yeah, and so is almost everything else humans do. Why don't we just kill of 99.99% of humanity and store the rest in a super efficient bunker that ensures humanity will always exist at the ideal capacity to maintain genetic stability without having regression due to incest? It's because humans don't give as much of a fuck about "efficiency" as we do about enjoying ourselves. If it takes a planets worth of power to maintain a single person in space, then that's what that single person would fucking do. Have robots do the work anyway, then it doesn't matter how much it requires. Space is cool, efficiency be damned.

Niggers is why we no longer do space like we used to. We gotsta get real and sheeit.

half of the people jerking off to pop-science fantasies like this probably would literally kill themselves after spending any amount of time in a moon or mars base past the exaggerated 2 hour allotment hollywood gives them

just go play spaceengine or something and get it out of your system, the reason we haven't so much as put a man on another celestial body in 50 years is because stroking some armchair philosopher's romantic "humanity jumping out of the cradle" narrative-cock doesn't pay the bills or solve real scientific problems that unmanned probes can't do better and cheaper anyway

You seem upset

>The superior system is easily compromised

Ok.

not really, I just don't like meme science enthusiasts who disrespect modern astronomy by continuously whining that we don't live in a rose-tinted hollywood fantasy land and fancy themselves enlightened for it

the effort and capital put towards a useless colony would be far better spent on improving instruments and probes that would actually serve a useful scientific purpose and advance something more than a stupid pop science narrative everyone will stop giving a shit about the day after

CIA Niggers bugged all technology

Now we're stuck recreating everything in FOSS, its quite stupid.

Capitalism doesn't work either

Humanity (see: white 1st world countries) lost their drive to achieve for the sake of achievement.
It's better to drop billionaires of dollars for illegal immigrant welfare and pseudo-science for political gain.

Too busy worrying about safety and the potential starvation of people genetically predetermined to never succeed in life no matter how much you give them.

Compassion was a mistake.

zimbabwe and venezuela dug their own graves
cuba's not really that sabotaged and generally does well for itself considering its situation

>sabotaged by sanctions
so basically you're saying that a marxist-leninist country cannot survive if it's not constantly sucking capitalist cock and forsaking its own values? really makes you think

telling darwin to go fuck himself is one of the hallmarks of advanced civilization and part of what raises us from the ranks of common animals and niggers desu

Sanctions is a pussy move by the faggot West

hmm and yet that has no bearing on the over-arching theme of your opinion that every failed communist state is a failure because they couldn't sell out and deep throat faggot western capitalist cock
truly compels you to contemplate doesn't it

>a much electricity as a nuclear power plant

What does this even mean? There are ancient nuke plants that produce a pitiful amount of electricity and then there are plants that are more modern but very small electrical output as their main purpose is to produce material for nuclear bombs. NASA made a nuclear reactor truck one time too, so this benchmark they are declaring has no real value.

Because capitalism.

Blame the laws of physics instead, moron

Dictatorship of the proletariat. Transition stage between Capitalism and Communism.

Nope, the whole point is eventual self-sufficiency. That's why we can't have a moon base. It would never be self sufficient. A Mars base could hypothetically separate itself from Earth entirely, leading to a new age for the human species.

Not as expensive as Mars, though.

It, like democratic government, is the worst system, except for all the other alternatives.

>I want to go blind, be weak, die of cancer, while being a subsistence farmer on a desert planet with no air to breathe.
Good news user, you can do all that much cheaper! Get a wetsuit, a scuba tank, some radon gas, cobalt-60, some terrariums, visit your nearest desert devoid of vegetation, and stare at the sun.

Capitalism's only incentive is profit, which is sad. We could live a lot better if we didn't have to care about everything making money

>Capitalism's only incentive is profit, which is sad. We could live a lot better if we didn't have to care about everything making money
t. (((Mordechai)))

Pretty much this. It's not really a question of whether a technology is good, but whether it's good enough to justify how much it costs. Over time costs often go down, justifying a lot things that wouldn't have been earlier.

Id rather have a nuclear plant

>fossil feuls
What do you think rockets work on?Magical nigger cum.Kerosene,liquid methane,Unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine!

obviously because it's impossible because the earth is flat. :^)

Honestly I think it's because doing things beneficial is more inconvenient than using technology to allow people to be lazier and waste more time doing gay shit.

>spending billions of dollars to send a bunch of brilliant scientists and engineers to waste their talents doing the same shit a rover can do better then dying alone on a barren shithole to jerk off some nerd's pop science boner
>"beneficial"
the sad thing is that there is someone on here right now that probably believes this and isn't baiting like you are

only good post itt

I blame lack of freedom.

Pay lots of works to go clean the mirrors each day, creates jobs too.