/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, specs lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads
ebay.com/itm/LE-Dimmable-LED-Desk-Lamp-Table-Lamps-3-modes-Studying-reading-relaxing-7-/112252435179?hash=item1a22c43aeb:g:AYYAAOSwopRYZVYi
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Core-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-8GB-500GB-12-5-/322385468286
redbubble.com/people/cazum/works/12841766-green-is-my-pepper?p=sticker
bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/4456400.p?skuId=4456400
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for cats 'n pads

Second for the greatest ThinkPad of ALL TIME

t430s /8gig/no hdd/ wwan/ backlit/HD+/81+ battery

would be around 240euros, would that be too much ?

If the user claimiing, that t430s is shit returns, please argument yourself. thx

How is the T440?

The X240 looks so good. People with 1366x768, is it that bad or did you get used to it?

T450 is what the T440 should have been. Get the T450S if you can for the FHD IPS panel.

I'm trying to reset the bios password, as the thinkpad(w520) that I bought has a pw that the seller can't remember.
To do so, I need to access the EPROM chip to short it on boot. I have found a guide on accessing this chip on w520/w510's, however the mb is stuck to the backplate via a screw I can't find.
This is a picture of the section that is stuck, with labelled screws.
1 = all 4 like that screw (which I believe are holding the heatsink in place)
5 = all screws holding down the heatsink
I can't think of which screw could be connected to the backplate, as they all seem to be holding down parts of the heatsink, cpu, etc.

where can i find a genuine thinkpad t440 trackpad with 3 buttons? any recommended reseller or search on ebay?

you get used to it but its horrible, forget about it

Not a thinkpad

yes it is, dumbass

my old laptop (dell) is the samr res, its nice, you notice it only when looking scrupulously.

No it's not, it's a shitty generic lenovo laptop with the thinkpad name on to make people think it's good, sorry. It has literally none of the features which make it a thinkpad aside from the trackpoint

its a thinkpad

Sure thing, kiddo.

dumbass

prove me wrong, dumbass

Is the t420 really that bad for our time?
I consider buying one, but the lack of power really bothers me

its not just the lable m8, its a fucking thinkpad, nothing less (ive been posting, but am not the original poster btw)

No not at all, what do you want?
I bought a standard one with the intention to upgrade it to 8GB ram, SSD and i7 as time went on but I haven't had a need to.
T420s are plenty powerful enough unless you want to do some modern gaming or video rendering or something

don't buy it if it bothers you, dumbass

bump cause im desperate

Stop posting at any time

why?
dumbass

I agree. Every laptop after IBM line is Lenovo shit.

As everyone who isn't a complete newfag knows, there are several lenovo thinkpads that are still great machines true to the IBM line which are the only ones worth buying.
All IBM pads are too old spec to be worth using at this point

thank you, non-dumbass

nice try ping pong

media laptops with chiclet keyboards still aren't thinkpads sorry
Enjoy your intel pentium then I guess lmao

m8, that wasn't me, dumbass

I has x220T with broken thinkvantage audio shits. Looking for a machine that can double as a poker machine/spotify machine for small monies.

I bought a x220 as my first laptop and really like it so far, but should I shut it down when I'm not using it or keep it in sleep mode like a desktop?

They're designed to run 24/7 and many users do use them like this.
Personally I don't put any of my machines (not even desktop) into sleep mode when I'm not using them, I always shut them down because it just feels wrong.

Name even one thing classic ThinkPads do better than new Lenovo ThinkPads

The keys 'look' different and they slimmed to match modern notebooks. That's literally fucking it

I'm about to retire my X200 tablet and get an X220 tablet, but don't want to get rid of it.

What does /tpg/ do with their old ThinkPads? It's still a great machine so I don't want to just put it in storage.

Lads, I have a t430s and am looking to replace the keyboard, should I go with the stock, or is this worth it?

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Install_Classic_Keyboard_on_xx30_Series_ThinkPads

Is there any hope of Lenovo releasing a new 16:10 ultrabook to replace my x201 or should I just get a macbook instead

Bump from old thread
(You)
>750 ti is a good balanced card for a pci x1 egpu setup. with my x220 (2540m), overwatch does a fairly consistent locked 60 fps at medium detail on the internal screen
Have you got any issues using latest bios? On some forums they sad that It can run only on older bios than I have. How about more requiring games? Gta V battlefield, any new title?

Where can I get thinkpads they ship worldwide?

Rate

tfw now that I have everything I wanted, this looks pretty damn good

the lamp has 4 different light settings, and the "Relaxing" one has a comfy as fuck yellow tint to it

damn son

Lenovo.com

what lamp?

Things that are different
>keyboard
>design (slightly)
The new ones still have a magnesium roll cage, carbon fiber plastics, identical mouse-pads, more useful ports than a regular laptop and are waterproof
+
>better specifications
>better screen
>backlit keyboard
>lighter but just as durable
>even more battery life (my t450 can hold >10 hours easily)

Yeah old ones were neat, but sorry m8 some line of work requires more processing power which 10year old IBM machines simply can't provide

"Hurr durr everything was better in the ol' days hurr durr everything new is automatically shit hurr durr" - that's what you sound like

build quality

literally the same, same materials, same internal structure, same "toughness"

ebay.com/itm/LE-Dimmable-LED-Desk-Lamp-Table-Lamps-3-modes-Studying-reading-relaxing-7-/112252435179?hash=item1a22c43aeb:g:AYYAAOSwopRYZVYi

it has to be the one I linked you to, this is the one with the 3 different modes (white/blue/yellow light)

LE makes other variations that are either in a white color, or just a lamp with adjustable brightness - no tint color changes

this thing is fucking awesome, its not a meme

also this seller acts as a middleman, they use amazon to ship it to you, it arrived the same day it shipped out (today) as I live near a city that has an amazon

maximum comfy
the only thing I lack now is to be living on my own. I'd love to be able to jack it right now

I keep mine around as backups.

idk about latest bios, I just run whatever it came with, can check if you want. I have not tried playing any games on it other than poker/tetrisfriends. I game on a much more powerful desktop, but I prefer to stay away from that when working so I use a less powerful machine to safeguard my own poor self control.

also how quickly can you make a soda flat?

What extended battery do you anons recommend picking up for the t420?

>soda flat
What does it mean? Leave a water bottle for some time and when all of the CO disappears?
Also I check some benchmarks of egpu and I noticed that difrence between internal and external display is pretty closely. Also noticed from benchmarks that adapter and processor won't bottleneck the gtx 750ti.

I'm currently on the market to upgrade my X230.
I'm looking at the most powerful thinkpad that's less than 15 inches.

Should I get a T460p?
Or qait for the T470p?

>win x220 on eBay
>see after winning that there is a tiny crack in the palmrest below the touchpad
Fucking why

What Thinkpad is similar to MacBook Pro MJLT2 by specs?

Hey /tpg/

I just got an x230 so I could learn how to linux, and I was looking at replacing the keyboard since the trackpoint is a little fucky. The one I currently have has no backlighting, and I was looking at either going with an x220 keyboard (the NMB type) or paying a bit more and just getting a backlit x230 keyboard, which as I understand would be a plug and play replacement.

I don't find myself super attached to the x220 layout, but I do like the cosmetics of the keys better than the x230.

Is there any reason other than looks and the layout to go through the effort of getting an x220 keyboard to work? The quality of construction? The functionality of the keys?

Any input would be appreciated.

/tpg/ is there literally ever a legit reason to put 16gb ram in an x220 or x220t or is that just overkill?

overkill, and if you were actually doing some kind of graphically intensive work that needs 16gb, the hd 3000 (iGPU) isn't the best choice for that sort of thing, unless you're using an egpu setup

but I personally would never go beyond 8gb of ram in a laptop, unless it already came like that

can't wait for a few years to pass so i can buy either a t460 or t470 for just a fraction of the price, like we already do with the __20 and __30 series

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X230-Core-i5-3320M-2-6GHz-8GB-500GB-12-5-/322385468286

Is this a good deal?

Except the layout, the X230 keyboard is better and feels better.

What's the best new Thinkpad for shitposting and watching anime?
It doesn't have to be a convertible.

>9 cell battery
>4 hours remaining.
That battery has half its capacity.

Also, too expensive.

That's what I figured. I'll definitely go for the backlit one then. Thanks user

>neo-thinkpad.jpg

>the X230 keyboard is better and feels better.
Please acknowledge your buyer's remorse and don't ruin nice things for other people.

>get used thinkpad that came with extended battery
>install linux distro for testing
>check battery life
>1:18 left at 95%
Jesus Christ, is this accurate? I'm going to have to buy another battery so soon?

Is that not true? I've heard that the switches are the same if not better quality.

Anyone know how to boot X220 mobo without keyboard/power button?
>1:18 left at 95%
What is its capacity compared to original capacity? Also, frequently charging to near-100% than discharging is the worst thing for battery life.

From my experience:

>texture
8470p > X230 non back-lit > X220 > X230 backlit

>key-travel, sturdiness, wobble, etc
X230 > X220 > 8470p

>layout
X220 > X230 > 8470p

Don't be deceived by people that onyl have the 20 series keyboard telling you that anything new is automatically shit. Some stuff actually improved, like the keyboard.

i wish i knew what sex feels like ;_;

>What is its capacity compared to original capacity?
I have no clue. I assume it's the extended battery because it sticks out more. I've confirmed the battery life is that shit, though. Jeez.

Is there a decent battery seller, or am I to get jewed by Lenovo?

Has anyone here modded an X230 with an X220 keyboard? Did you run into any problems?

i use the latest modded bios for x220 (1.43) no problems. maybe look into getting the mod bios (1.46) for your t420 in there? i've never heard of the bios version being an issue, really

The problems are as listed in the wiki.

What is the cheapest 2x8GB RAM I can get that is compatible with T420?

Should add, I would prefer a Crucial product because I've never had any issues with them before

What stickers should I put on my new laptop /tpg/?

>I have no clue
In terminal, use upower -d and under the output for your battery, you're find capacity%, and current/original capacity in Wh.
>Is there a decent battery seller, or am I to get jewed by Lenovo?
No idea, sorry, except to avoid cheapo Chinese ones. Mine is still running fine after years, as I limit charging to 50% and run largely on AC.

redbubble.com/people/cazum/works/12841766-green-is-my-pepper?p=sticker
Really though stickers are for women and queers

Power for what?

You cannot play many games on it.

Unless you are encoding videos I'm not sure why you would need more power.

Run a distributed computing program on it like seti@home or folding@home.

are docking stations worth it at all?

Look on their website. They have a tool for that.

Any update on T420 1080p kits?
Not the -s variant, I mean the real one

>Looking it up every month to see if anyone has a kit that works

If you plug a lot of shit into your thinkpad then yes.

Yeah, you're right, I guess I'm just triggered at the idea of paying $90 for RAM.

It's pretty fucking cool but I don't think you really need it. If you get it cheap, I'd reccommend it just for aesthetic points

>>better screen
>what is flexview

is flexview different from IPS options?

Like the flexview on an X240 looks so much better than the IPS option on an X230

Are they different panel technologies?

Whoops. Here. Did I actually get the extended battery? I'm not sure what the original capacity was. Either way, I gotta replace this thing. 1 hour of battery life is no bueno.

The wiki has false information. The only way to swap the keyboard is to file down the nibs. A palmrest swap as mentioned in the wiki simply will not work because the xx20 palmrest does not fit. At all.

So I can't trust that wiki page if the authors don't even check if the bullshit they are spewing is correct.

>A palmrest swap as mentioned in the wiki simply will not work because the xx20 palmrest does not fit. At all.
Multiple firsthand sources I've found with a quick search outside of the wiki claim otherwise, at least pertaining to the X220/X230 swap. Are you certain?

bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-thinkpad-yoga-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/4456400.p?skuId=4456400

Opinions?
The refresh would be more expensive, right?

>>flexview
>what is IPS
>what is anti-glare

Got a t420 two or three years ago and now i want a little brother for it. Thinking x230 or x220, not sure which one but this thread has some good info.

But i dont know if i would like the tablet version or not and that's what has prevented me from just picking one, ill probably be happy with either.

If im just using it for web browsing, some light indie games like rimworld, watching videos and the occasional word processing, would the tablet be worth it? I think the reversible screen would be nice for watching videos but i would like some feedback.

Will be primarily using arch linux and also have windows on board

garbage

Any reason why?

why aren't more 13/14 inch with 1080p?

Jewnovo is too cheap

is 1600x900 bad? 1080p should give a good downscale right?

if youre looking at the 430 know that the screen is shit