Why do some people pretend that Linux is a good "gaming OS"?

why do some people pretend that Linux is a good "gaming OS"?

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31648
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

it's been a while since I've seen the full pasta

It's an excellent gaming OS because since Linux is more efficient, it uses less system resources. This means more cycles for your CPU, GPU, less wasted ram and lower heat generation. All things which are excellent for gaming.

>can't play the nep games on linux
IT'S NOT FAIR

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as GNU/Linux, is in fact,Linux, or as I’ve recently stopped calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux IS an operating system unto itself, rather than another free component of a fully non-functioning GNU system dragged down by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and nonsensical system components compromising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users don't run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely not used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is not the kernel (a program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run). The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. GNU/Linux is normally used in combination with the Linux OS: the whole system is basically Linux with syrup added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of Apples Mac OS X.

Except all those theoretical gains in performance go down the drain when the gpu drivers are shit and the linux ports are unoptimized messes.

That's not the OS's fault. And Nvidia Linux drivers are always excellent. Games that are properly ported (like Dota 2) are more stable and have higher fps than on Windows.

Additionally, if I set my fans to silent and play Dota 2 on Windows, it will overheat and blue-screen. I've literally had zero crashes on the Linux client even with low fans.

Dota 2 is a sport. Are any video games properly ported to GNU plus Linux?

All those benefits, wasted on shit drivers and lack of Dx11.

You also have to disable compositioning manually each time you boot a game so you won't get input lagged to hell - no exclusive full screen in Linux.

X11 adds input lag. Default kernel adds input lag. linux-ck is decent alternative. linux-rt has shit performance but great latency.

If your audio hardware doesn't bode well with PulseAudio/ALSA, good fucking luck using a separate VoIP client while gaming. Either the sound quality is garbage or the sound is delayed by literal seconds.

>Nvidia Linux drivers
Hey, should we use this KMS implementation literally everyone else is using?

Naaah let's make our own which breaks wayland.

why is it not?

it's not like they can control third party devs

>it's not like they can control third party devs

This. It isn't Linux's fault if third parties are shitheads.

Linux is crap for gaming thats why dualboots exist. Windows for games and programs that dont work on wine and linux for serious shit like servers, hacking, security, and anonymity, managing partitions etc

to be honest one advantage of a single vendor platform is that the company can just go around buying devs left and right

like Sony and Microsoft are constantly fucking doing

hilariously this is something that affects winbabbies even (Bloodborne, TLoU, etc)

Yeah, they don't really play ball with the Linux community.
Optimus laptops are basically forgotten.

linux is the best kernel for any purpose except for some niche tasks that the BSDs do better

instead you should say "Linux has nogaems" because that's accurate

but if it had those games it would be better than Windows in every measurable aspect

>Wayland
Wake me up once it's actually any good

what makes you think it's not good

>inb4 muh hotkey demons

Nigga i have been using linux for over 2 years (parrot os) and all the games i have found are either very simple games such as solitaire or barely working games on wine

>gaming

Battle of Wesnoth is nice.

You should take a look at Steam. There is Cities Skylines, there's the latest Deus Ex, there's Rocket League, etc.
I mean it's certainly not paradise but still the solitaire and tux racer are far from the only native games.

Because it is.

>You also have to disable compositioning manually each time you boot a game so you won't get input lagged to hell - no exclusive full screen in Linux.

I do not have this problem with Plasma 5.

dota 2 has more bugs on linux than windows and that game has literally hundreds, if not thousands of bugs already. for a competitive online game, you definitely don't want to play it on linux. there have been some bugs that would give you a significant disadvantage. terrible example to use.

Same goes for MacOS users. They think their system is the shit for gaming.

If all you play is Dota2 or CSGO then Gnew/Linox is a gaming OS. They actually run better on linux than windows

its the best platform for retropie do, you cant deny this bro

Do they? All I hear from them that gaming is a degenerate activity anyway, which is absolutely true.

checked, also, the only game I play is insurgency and it runs pretty great desu

never fucking heard this in my entire life. nobody thinks this.

>Dota 2 is a sport.

The open GL drivers are better on linux than windows for Dota 2 but the property direct X drivers still stopped it last I tested it.

Nope

Steam and Good old Games have Linux native games. Dota2 and terraria are probably the most popular normie ones.

I fucking cannot play TUX racer anymore.

Win7

>Some missing shit
>download it
>still does not work

>lack of Dx11.

VULKAN

Why do some "people" post weak bait threads?

>You also have to disable compositioning manually each time you boot a game so you won't get input lagged to hell
what? has this ever been true at all? it definitely isn't now

Why do winbabbies keep posting this meme game?

Thanks for your contribution. 50 Microsoft store credits have been added to your account.

Gaymen are for manchildren.
Now excuse me while I post to a desktop thread.

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/LInux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

> 10 own windows on all hosts
> Decides to install a computer as a bulb for a month linux and change the browser Chrome, Firefox and Google search engine duckduckgo
> Linux steam only in the library paskimmat 15 and 85 free games to play my own game is not for Linux
> Browsing all the games made for Linux and saying shit, bug sex or otherwise incomplete
> Winellä try to adjust the games and enjoy wasted-reaching machine-powered, paskoista graphics and bugs
> Remove wine
> Työläppäriin install LibreOffice and determines that it can not do anything other than something like a Martha-tier ad-thing-apapereita notice board and all serious must not forget
> Cherries still LibreOffice Calc and saying that can make 5% of what Microsoft Excel and pisses all if you open a job as an Excel file
> Install the wine and try to install Office 2010, because the latest is not supported and no one has not been received to work
> Can not install it when you become something of errors and the installer crashes or hangs, and the window can not be closed
> Someone to autism squeaking internet that pastea this and this command-ton terminal, and in the end your PC is Play On Linux
cont.

> Start office installation, will be "Error in POL_Shortcut RAIL não encontrado: WINWORD.EXE"
> May eventually pastettua fucking autistic ulinoita terminal, because the 2016 does not support a graphical user interface, and finally do not can use Office, because nobody autism does not know how to activate Office in any way does not produce sky pirate or as a genuine
> Remove all
> Firefox takes 50 tab, double the memory compared to Chrome and one page / tab crashes at work so the whole fucking browser crashes even when Chrome sometimes once fell down and still work smoothly with all 49
> Forced to close in the end machine when stuck in firefox and linux does not exist in the graphical menus which can be forced to shut down the process
> Duckduckgo not ever find the correct search results and in the end always goes longer than 15 min after trying a gimmick in search results, so that would find the right results
> Firefox work pretty fucking laginen when to use any HTML5 app even if the chrome work hard to gracefully
> Firefox Sync pisses all syncaamalla the same time the cross and all messed up even when Chrome from syncing add-ons are perfect for quick and error-free
> Co-worker tells you to take a look at the browser jumituttua to implement one of the core Xenon 100% use until Firefox gets closed and viewed my own Firefox operating normally, the CPU usage is shockingly high
> Install the chrome and finds that ublock origin and https everywhere firefox add-on takes up more memory on your desktop PC and laptop computer than in the same chrome add-ons
> One tab is used without add-ons firefox 300mt takes less memory, but uses more CPU and will lock up the single-core 100% use often
cont.

The reasons why I switch back to Windows:
1. Linux is so fucking complicated non-functional pile of shit, if the machine would like to do more than just fix problems and make scripts to change the anime wallpapers
2. If the machine has a problem not to get any support from anyone anywhere, because that does not use one. The only option is to browse through some of the old Ubuntu and Arch forums and hope that lätkiessäsi something random command lines to the terminal, it would solve the problem.
3. Linux is changing all the time and in the end use is mere updating and editing the layout. Each Internet use Linux just seems to change in the desktop environment all the time, theme and programs and can not find a definitive solution to the ever when nothing is to be satisfied
4. Windows and Mac invests its functionality in a single system, while Linux is something like a million different shells Wayland pussy gnome kde-something Cinnamon unityä xfvceecve yfxe asfce etc. and everything is shit bug
5. The iron base is so ridiculous that no newer 2005 does not seem to be working without errors million and a black screen and a mouse or WLAN failures
6. Can someone also explain why eg Ubuntu 16.04 is fucking sublime tehopc. With 32Gb memory slower than the 8.04 was someone on my Pentium 4 machine. I remember how smooth light and functional, this old version then it was
7. The programs are frankly sucks, but in case they are 50pcs of the same or equally effective. Whether you use AutoCAD SolidWorks, Catia, you're doing video editing professional level, you're doing serious work in Office, use of material, job Email on does not work in any (evolution and zimbra were full of shit)
cont.

8. If you play anything other than TF2 or dota so you can forget about linux
9. Linux is free. This is the only reason why this project is a pile of shit. Windows and Mac have made big money and that's why it works, and it is to support.
10. Linux community has the largest herd of assholes I've ever met. Yes they are helpful! Forums are full of verbal finger and barking. Each linux-only person I've met is like someone craving a believer, and the worst possible with blinds feminist at the same

tl;dr install gentoo

>every fucking dev is hopping on the dx12 train
>they literally want to fuck themselves over with their 40% market share bullshit
>the worst case scenario is happening

I'm just about done with this shitty hobby

Fucking jonnet is marred linux
> 2004 ubuntu will appear, and where part of moves to use Linux
> 2006 mint will appear and an even greater part of which goes to Linux
> 08/04/2014 Windows XP support runs out and quite shocking to which the wave moves to Linux
> GNOME 3, systemd, Cinnamon fucking all the possible world where diarrhea-tier programs will increase its support in the Linux world
> 2012 appears Steam for Linux What the fuck NOT STOP, STOP
> 2012-2015 more and more games will be for Linux
> AMD and Nvidia are investing more linux drivers
> Sublime atom and editors have risen in popularity as Vim

This all there is, then was? 90s jonnet ruined inte net and now they have contaminated linux. I had already transferred part of koneistani a couple of years ago to rotate FreeBSD where this invasion because of but now I have realized that only a larger and larger part of the other previously embraced Linux hipster where it is like moving to PC-BSD users. That they then a couple of years will ruin the FreeBSD too. Not here probably else help you move to Old Union of NetBSD's user. There is not jonnet and normot lost for many years.

Why do people care about games?
What makes an OS a "gayming" OS?

>That's not the OS's fault.
Doesn't make it any better.

>Pajeet Uses Google Translate: The Thread

>Can't even into Engrishu
Bad job, Poojeet. 100 poopies have been taken away from your bank account.

This is a translated the new pasta from Finnish board ylilauta
:DD

This
Fucking freetard faggots forget that games are a consumer product. Potential performance doesn't matter, ACTUAL performance matters.

It's the same with free/gsync. Gsync is simply a better product overall. Despite theoretically not having any more major features than freesync, Gsync is just implemented better, which makes it worth the higher price for some people

go perkele yourself

>le premium Nvidia G-Sync™ technology buy now buy buy
you would fail a blind test between the two implementations

that is a certainty

Why would I care what a Mongolian Basket-weaving Blog projects?

nah it just makes you worse

useless power-consumer trash

alrighty
Because finns (especially nyymi's) are extremely autistic and may sperg at any time

So we must deal with it

Because it is.

You can't even do a blind test when one monitor doesn't even have sync for the whole range retard. Or when one is HDMI NO SIGNAL and one works

for

>Naaah let's make our own which breaks wayland.
and nothing of value was lost

Linux is a pile of garbage for people that don't have anything better to do with their lives so it fills out their time spending a few hours every day to fix every single thing that works out of the box on other OSs

Just played through the newest Deus Ex game on Linux. You're either not trying or only play triple A memes.

I have to confirm this

Even some eroges work.
Feels extremely good playing some moe visual novels such as Nekopara (resource hog) with loonix machine.

fpbp

The only games it can't play are ones that have been cucked by Microshaft with DirectX

it's good for emulating games plus Steam has a good selection of games for linux

>The only games it can't play are 90% of games

People use Gnome.

OpenGL is shit, Vulkan is still MIA. D3DtoOGL is slow as horse shit.
No DX10/11.

No.

Depends on what you want. Personally I wanted a good OS first, and gaming second.

There are actually quite a few great games available native on Linux, but if gaming is your priority, and you need the latest games, then yeah Windows is the way to do that.

The Nep games work "OK" under Wine, the moment you try to use HyperResolution or Kitserver though it's all over.

TuxRacer was the shit back in like 2002.

/thread

Because the golden era of PC master race gamen was the 90's and most of that is playable in WINE or Dosbox.

This would be a quality shitpost in 2000, now it's just shit

With what games?

This

I missed this pasta

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=31648

Because they are delusional.
If gaming is your top priority then windows is the only sane option.
If you care most about getting work done, then pick the OS you like and play games on the side.
I'm glad companies are making games for Linux and Mac. I use Linux already, and its lovely to have a wide selection of steam and got games. I would rather have no games than buy a copy of windows and deal with dual booting. Fuck that noise.
If you are a hardcore gamer, you should probably stick to windows

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

It also fucks with multimonitor setups.
AMD's open sauce drivers are much better at actually functioning at a basic level.

>weeb manchildren

>Cartoons

the nep games are meant to be played on playstations

>Linux is better for gaming
>SteamOS
>Windows gets much higher FPS
You're full of fucking shit.

I don't buy it that windows get higher fps, my experience with dual booting and playing rocket league has been way cleaner on linux and that's coming from somebody who has been a wincuck for a long time.

Vulkan is going to replace proprietary DirectX APIs, making ports easier. It's also not the OS fault if the devs half assed the port.

Windows is the main target platform. Then the game gets ported to Linux. That immediately makes it run games worse, with the exception of titles having linux in mind immediately which don't differ that much in performance. A game made exclusively for Linux, ported to windows afterwards would run worse on windows.
In addition to differences between specific hardware and driver combinations there's also to consider.

Yea I understand that, it would be awesome if they made better ports and drivers.

This.