I need some realistic advice and help

I need some realistic advice and help.

So my now ex-girlfriend found my hard drive that was full of ex girlfriends, and intimate pictures, notes, and files. She went bat shit and threw my hard drive into a shallow lake in town.

It is a fresh water lake. A bit muddy. What are the chances that I could recover the hard drive from the lake and it still be possible to retrieve the files off of it?

The lake is now frozen, so I won't be able to dive for it until May.

Is there still hope?

Pic not related.

Uh. It's been in the lake for awhile? Then you're fucked.

If it was only tehre for a short bit, it would probably be fine if you just left it somewhere warm with airflow for awhile. IIRC the only opening in a hard drive is an extremely fine membrane, but I don't know if that's even a thing anymore. Modern drives are probably completely sealed.

I'm really nervous. I would definitely dive and recover it, but the fact it's in water, and will be for sometime makes me wonder if it's even possible.

Just restore them from your latest backup.

What do you mean?

It was two hard drives. One was a WD 3TB (the bulkier one) and the other one was your run of the mil SD ones.

If you have any advice that'd be magnificent.

it was fucked the time it hit the water
ain't getting anything off of it now

>not keeping those types of photos in an sd card in your old shitty phone in your safe

What a pleb.

To be honest tho famalam, it seems you may have lost all of that kind of stuff, I hope you remembered them well, it may be the only thing that will stay for a while.

3-2-1. Three copies: two locally available on different media, one off-site.
If she found the on-site copies, and threw them in the lake, you still have the off-site.
Or.... are you too retarded to have backups?

>electronics and metals
>in salty water
>until fucking May
you dun goofed.

Why didnt you get it while you had time?

>in salty water
Ok sorry, I hadn't read your fucking post, it was fresh water. I'm a fucking idiot.

I do data recovery. It is technically possible. You would have to pry open the case and dry all the components (in a clean room) . Attempt to turn it on, if it doesn't turn on, the boats is dead, you will have to buy an exact duplicate and swap the platters (also in a clean room).

It could cost upwards of a thousand dollars.

*board

>using flash memory as a long term storage solution
are you retarded?

>be me
>have my entire history of chat logs with my gf on my work computer
>rsync them to my home Mini-ITX box
>Mini-ITX "box" is a bare mobo, 12V power brick, and a drive, just laying out on my desk
>quit job, move
>drop speaker onto running 3.5" hard drive
>lose all my chat logs with the love of my life
>probably nudes, too

Oh well, she turned into a cunt and I broke up with her. No biggie.

Hey data user, unrelated, but do you have any advice on this?

>the boats is dead

>i do data recovery
>there are boats in your hard disquette

fucking nub go LARP somewhere else faggot

It is technically salvagable, but you would need an electron microscope and a team of scientists to manually transcribe each bit.

Government might have a better way, but that's the only method I've heard.

you are a pseudointellectual dumb millenial faggot

kys.

U mad?

Have a better idea?

That's what I thought too. Could probably build something out of a few DVD drives and their stepper motors but it would probably be terrabytes of image to get that ~4gb back.

I suppose you could try and mount the peices to another disk and try to read it and hope that it will actually read, and then hope more that the corrupted clusters are recoverable.

But that's a huge crapshoot.

you are full of shit... really? you can recover a data off a hard drive that has been at the bottom of a lake for 5 fucking months (he wont get it until May), not to mention that the lake was also frozen AND it will cost just about $1000? how do you recover data? with a time machine?

technically? are you out of your mind? by the time whatever is left of the drive is brought back up all you'll have is rust.

Depends on the drive. If the platters are intact and undamaged, yes, you can recover it. And I said upwards of a thousand, it could cost much more.

just use your backup?

oh you didn't have one?

then your data didn't really exist, you were basically storing it in RAM and got a power spike.

how do you think the platters will be undamaged after being at the bottom of a lake for 5 months? in addition, this is not like it was gently put there, it was thrown into the lake.

What exactly do you think would damage them?

Being thrown doesn't matter that much, drives are plenty though now. As for the water damage, it all comes down to the drive.

Some drives are incredibly water resistant or even water proof when it comes to the platters (no so much with the board).

Regardless, my point was that the cost would not be worth it, and it's only technically possible, in practice there is a lot that can go wrong.

>the cost would not be worth it
It's up to OP to evaluate how much his lewds are worth to him.