My local Microsoft shill tells me it's impossible to run a serious business without Windows

My local Microsoft shill tells me it's impossible to run a serious business without Windows.
Is this true?

Other urls found in this thread:

usesthis.com/interviews/rob.pike/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes. Have you ever seen anyone do it? Protip: you haven't.

Depends on what type of serious they are talking about

If one makes the presumption that the modern IT is all about the internet, then you have to ask yourself
'Does Linux even have a choice in this matter ?'

A modern computing system is not one that is run from the command line - it is a system that is tied in with the internet Cloud. Just have a look at Windows 10 with Cortana and OneDrive for an example of this done right.

You need the outlook to connect in with the mass of email flowing around us every day. And then there is document collaboration - the sharing of Wordfiles and Excels between users across state boundries ! Voice over IP, cloud enabled 'Surface' computing, and voice command interfaces - all tied together with .NET and the OneDrive.

The driving force behind this internet is the Microsoft Sharepoint Server - a central peice of systems software which connects all these end points together, in a synergistic kaleidoscope that achieves both balance and symmetry.

The smart Vendors know that in order to get ahead in the future IT, that means integrating with the Cloud.

Linux has nothing on the Cloud.

Alphabet inc.

>all these buzzwords
jesus christ

It's a lie, everything you can do on windows you can do better and faster on linux and it becomes easier to maintain over the long run.

What are you talking about?
>A modern computing system is not one that is run from the command line - it is a system that is tied in with the internet Cloud. Just have a look at Windows 10 with Cortana and OneDrive for an example of this done right.

Except your wrong, one drive isn't a good solution to a small/middle tier business.
It's much easier to setup a small server infrastructure with offsite backups on the long run then running a long term contract with MS and you can still map these files to your system and access them faster then on onedrive.

>You need the outlook to connect in with the mass of email flowing around us every day. And then there is document collaboration - the sharing of Wordfiles and Excels between users across state boundries ! Voice over IP, cloud enabled 'Surface' computing, and voice command interfaces - all tied together with .NET and the OneDrive.

>Outlook email, Document colaboration.
Just stop, email servers run inside a company intranetwork are more secure then outlook/Sharepoint servers on the internet connected to Microsoft.
>Voice over IP
Never have that on your PC and or companies, you route these via phones to not expend bandwidth besides running a local VoIP server is much cheaper on the long end then buying time off Skype.

>Sharepoint server
Jesus Christ have you ever used this PoS? Have you ever used a domain controller?
If you had you wouldn't be saying this.

>Linux has nothing on the cloud

Except the cloud running on it.
Except the cloud is linux based.
Except the cloud the cloud wouldn't be possible without Linux based based servers with high availability.

I don't know. What do you want to do?

>I like having sensitive business files constantly flying across the net
>I like storing my sensitive business files on a third party server that could take it all hostage if you so much as fart the wrong way
>I like being fucked out of my privacy

Whatever you say inspector fagget.

To a point yes, some heavy machinery runs on Windows XP and a lot kiosk and cashier only runs on Windows vista/7.
There are macOS alternatives but they suck balls and I guess you could wright your own in Linux but that would take time and money.

If he had said Excel, I'd be inclined to agree, since MDAs do EVERYTHING on Excel.
Excel is great for sketching and doodling with data. But there's a reason BI tools don't like Excel. Excel sucks for storing data. It sucks for sharing data. It's a sketchup tool. RAD for MDAs. It's GREAT at that. But it's all it is.

It also mixes together the data, with the operations on the data and the presentation of the data. So migrating away from Excel is painful.

Cash registers run WIndoze XP. Security cameras use Windoze XP. Financial reporting, operations, supply chain, pay roll management and salesforce is on SAP and Oracle which are driven by Windoze clients, mostly Windows 7. Servers and backend run on Linux and most of the databases are managed by a central server running Linux.

A small vendor probably just uses whatever inventory management and bar code software that came with the equipment, which is almost always XP.

Its a cluster fuck really, there is no universal system with uniform applications to integrate business units and allow infrastructure from one company to talk to the other.

i can tell you that you can't run serious bussiness without some unix/linux

I work in IT, I can tell you it's very difficult.

Windows is by far the best business OS.

Mac can work but there are tons of compatibility and support issues.

Linux is completely unusable for workstation computers.

As a BI consultant, this shit triggers me.

You only need to squeeze in a reference to big data (and make sure that it means semistructured or unstructured data that you can lift to relational mappings, and not the actual term), and you'd have a fucking bingo.

>Cash registers run WIndoze XP. Security cameras use Windoze XP. Financial reporting, operations, supply chain, pay roll management and salesforce is on SAP and Oracle which are driven by Windoze clients
this is why you don't let management pick software

>serious business
not sure what you mean by this but I doubt it, unless you absolutely needs windows exclusive software I don't see why you'd need it - I think he just meant his workers are too stupid to switch to linux so they """"need"""" windows

This is a good example. I'm surprised I didn't think of it.

I've never seen someone write so many words but actually say nothing

Actually, financial reporting, operations, supply chain, and so on are usually done by BI tools.

And most of these run on Windows, solely because we need to integrate with Excel, and the only sane way to do this is to use MS's tools for connecting to Excel which is not available on Linux.

It's either that or tell people to separate concerns. But MDAs won't.

Management does not have a choice. Companies like SAP, Oracle and other software houses write software for Windows. Most of them don't want to let go of XP and legacy applications because it requires hard work and more investment to rewrite them.

If it is not broken, why upgrade it? the philosophy prevailing. My own company had HP Slim clients which ran like shit loading Windows 7 off a server, 20 mins to login and see desktop.

All I need is Google Drive, Atom and an ftp program.

Smaller businesses use Google Docs which they integrate with smartphones, tablets and Chromebooks which often come with free WPS office installed. They can't afford M$ licensing fees for Windows and Office 365. They are doing just fine without Excel.

> true?

No.

I actually studied tax law and do my own accounting in Google spreadsheats.

Im a bit afraid it will slow down to a crawl if my files become too big though.

Of course not, you can use OS X

Don't worry Microsoft will probably release MS/Linux in a few years from now.

This will become the norm because Excel files are a nuisance to read on Android and iPhone which use different formatting standards. Best you can do is export to pdf for read-only.

But Google docs relies on browser, so across platforms your file is intact.

For general servers? lol no.
For employees workstations? Holy fuck active directory and outlook is good.

We run linux for SIP phones, servers, etc.. Still have a few windows domain controllers though because it's actually what windows is good at.

What business?

I use Cinnamon. KDE is succ

> active directory and outlook is good
..But unnecessary. I don't get this Outlook shilling in the US: Dovecot+Postfix+Roundcube+Thunderbird for mail, Redmine for CRM+planning, Google Calendar if you need to track your daily events, all of that for free.
Some people deploy OpenLDAP as AD replacement, but that's out of my reach.

You sure are going to need an admin for that, but actually the same goes for MS products.

Except when trying to setup and manage over 100,000 users it's different than just running your own rig.
>You are going to need an admin for that

the fuck I am. equipped with google and basic winblows knowledge you don't have to download anything besides the OS and you can setup an enterprise tier network to scale and manage any number of PCs.
I don't have time to go google linux flavor of the week software and plat with command line settings and bullshit. I just want to click add role next next done and tweak a few settings and it's done.

That's why you'll never get the succ

if you want to alienate 95% of your consumer base then sure you can

> I just want to click add role next next done and tweak a few settings and it's done.
You see, it usually works except when it's not. That's the most shitty part of Windows administration:
> Exchange 2010
> Windows 2012
> MS claims it should work
> Exchange needs IIS components, but I have them
> turns out they changed default supported IIS version, so Win2012 IIS is supported through some compatibility layer
> Finally installs
> No tools in the console whatsoever
> Not sure if it should be like that
> turns out you need Exchange 2010 SP3 for that

And I should pay bazilions of money for that. I mean, that took three days, because:
- no logs (Event Viewer didn't help that time)
- obscure error messages
- GUIs with mutliple tabs, can't search them through Ctrl+A and that option is fukkinwhere?
- MS KB can be helpful, but for the most part I got my solutions from Raja and Pajeet's blogs.

> and you can setup an enterprise tier network to scale and manage any number of PCs
> Except when trying to setup and manage over 100,000 users
Linux infrastructure can handle that number of clients just fine, but what's more important, you will understand how it works to the packet level, you aren't going to achieve it with clicky-click.

Full of shit.

Only reason Microsoft has a presense in business is because it's what normies look at all day and Microsoft can sell them a full suite of business shit for one price. It's easier than hiring someone to build a *nix solution and maintain it. Once you get past the paper pusher business and into full enterprise though, *nix runs the show and backend. Unless it's a bank still paying IBM.

If you need to authenticate towards a domain, shouldn't you be using Kerberos, since AD is fundamentally broken due to the windows auth system having unfixable security issues?

What if AD uses Kerberos?

Apple is (was) hugely profitable and they don't use Windows.
Google employees that aren't affiliated with Windows products don't use it either.
MShill BTFO

the place i work at is just linux and OSX so no, thats not true

plan 9 had the cloud back in the 90s

too bad fuckin normies like the restricted cloud
see usesthis.com/interviews/rob.pike/
>When I was on Plan 9, everything was connected and uniform. Now everything isn't connected, just connected to the cloud, which isn't the same thing. And uniform? Far from it, except in mediocrity. This is 2012 and we're still stitching together little microcomputers with HTTPS and ssh and calling it revolutionary. I sorely miss the unified system view of the world we had at Bell Labs, and the way things are going that seems unlikely to come back any time soon.

Complete bullshit.

I supply hardware for the biggest companies in my country - we're talking spending > $1 million USD every 3-6 months on hardware alone. Not one of them uses anything else than Microsoft products.

So yea, once you get out of basement and into the world where you need to get shit done (and in a reasonable amount of time), you go with MS.

IIRC, It does, but it also uses NTLM, which is broken by design.
A sane Kerberos setup allows you to not use NTLM, which is better.

Banks are still paying IBM because it's cheaper than the alternative.

COBOL never dies, it just smells like it.

Hello fellow admin. These fucking idiots i swear to god.

> Not one of them uses anything else than Microsoft products.
> What is Cisco
> What is Juniper
> What is Alcatel
> What is Brocade
> What is every SAN/NAS/DAS in existence

I'll tell you what they are (apart from SAN, what are you, Somalian from 18th century that you still use SAN?).

They are a small fraction of the hardware enterprise buys. Most of the cost always got to servers/storage/software license (have you seen how much ie. a Dell Compelent solution, even basic one, costs to delploy?). And guess what the servers run?

Microsoft fucking Windows.

Well, yes, that's why your company spends millions of dollars a year.

Not my company, I SELL it to the companies.

And I don't shill anything, becasue big enterprise actually knows what it wants. I'm just delivering what they want.

And they all want MS products, period.

If they would calculate that using any nix software would be easier/cheaper, trust me they would do it.

>Linux is completely unusable for workstation computers.
pixar uses it for rendering farms
but is very much on point, especially if you consider embedded devices, in which case you are already using linux, likely without realizing it.

I work with enterprises. They don't know their head from their assholes when it comes to this shit.
Because MS has absolutely great marketing. OSX fanboys have nothing on MBAs.

Big enterpise do know. Not the CEO or other execs, but the IT chiefs do. Last specifications I received were 32 pages for the main server alone.

Unless you work with some shitters that buy anything you throw at them as long as it's cheap.

I work in backup & recovery, and I almost exclusively see RHEL servers in the US, and SLES servers in Europe for backup infrastructure and database servers.

What do you think makes them choose microsoft?
It's not because MS software is great.
It's because MBAs only know MS software, the drones only knows MS software, and so on.

I have integrated databases that have more than 50 excel files as data sources, because it was the only tool they had to work with when it all began.

Excel is the original NoSQL. It makes the simple things easy, and the stupid things possible.

And if someone starts screaming internally over people using Excel spreadsheets for payroll, bookkeeping and so on, they only have that hammer. Every problem looks more and more like a nail for each passing day.

Listen the point isn't that MS doesn't do the job.
But that they're vendor locked in because of the mass of incompetent cretins who only knows MS Office.

The CTO might know his shit, and in fact usually does. But the CTO has to get the shit that works for his business and he's tied down to the middleware layer of the enterprise. And they're all retards who can't learn new things.

If they could, their toolkit would be far more than Excel. It would at the least include R and what a CSV file was.

>woooossshhh

All professional enterprises use Microsoft software. Their excellent products and services make it a nobrainer.

thanks for the pasta bro

What about Red Hat then? I don't know this stuff, I'm just curious.

Serious vs. multi-billionaire serious is two different things.

Like my professor said: "We configure Windows because it pays, and we configure Linux because it's pleasant"

tots
Nigga have you ever heard about Closets? Or drywall or Drywall closets?
I mean even here in Europe on small business it is customary to build a small drywall closet to encase all networking/server infrastructure devices with separate HVAC control.

Or are you a shitty consumer who never worked?

Yes, you can run a serious business without Windows.

>All professional enterprises
Merely one counter-example suffices to disprove your assumption:
Alphabet Inc.

You are an autistic faggot

Except I'm not and I implement both types of solutions everywhere therefore I know the difference.
Do you want to know how much does it cost to keep a small on site server + offsite backup server with Email+Website+Storage+CIFS/SAMBA/Active Directory server locally VS having a Microsoft Cloud contract ?

Yeah.
The brain executive office drones would literally melt if you would force them to learn how to use linux.

The thing is all the employees are expecting windows computers by default. Not everyone knows how to use a mac or linux.

You can run linux on your server however.

What about google and apple?