T. modern OS design

quads don't lie

First
This will never change

>not liking anime on a website made specifically to talk about anime

I am currently working on a pearl counter for the iPad of one of my bosses

>Weakly typed OSs
This has literally no meaning.

In any case, the poster who claimed that .vimrc is not a valid filename in Windows is wrong.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx

Windows may have some odd quirks, but requiring files to match the standard filename.extension format is not among them. Filenames are allowed to begin with periods .likethis, are allowed to have no periods at all like_this, and may have multiple periods .like.this

If filenames beginning with periods were not allowed, Git would not work on Windows at all, as all of the files associated with the repository are stored within a folder called .git

working on a template class on php. nothing special really. just trying to replicate what i used (like smarty, raintpl and such) and make it as flexible as i can. i'm probably gonna port it to javascript when i can. i fucking hate all the js template engines i saw so wish me luck.

>This has literally no meaning.

Weak and strong typing are terms that can be applied to programming languages, not operating systems.

It applies to anything with different kinds of values.

You can't have "strongly typed" systems since files are just collections of bytes. You can't enforce an interpretation on all programs that read them. And if you do, you have a useless mess and not an operating system.

>files are just collections of bytes
in a weakly typed system

Types are specifications, not interpretations.

At least you gave up wrapping it in code blocks, Rajesh.

How would it make sense to prevent programs from writing arbitrary bytes to disk? And what purpose would it serve?

>pearl counter
>not selling it as "anal bead counter" on apple app store
Countless apple users (aka: faggots) are dying to throw money at you so they could count anal beads before and after they put them up their asses.

You don't. You just can't write arbitrary bytes and say that it's a certain type of file.

bytes[]
could be its own file type

I'm learning Ruby.

I'm actually starting to like it.

(I actually need it for my job. No, it's not webdev stuff.)

And secondary and primary memory aren't that different.
An OS is a piece of software too, it is a program (that has sub-programs).
So the same things that apply to the programs you'd write, make even more sense when it comes to OSs.

>No, it's not webdev stuff.
What is it then?

it'd be ruby on rails if it was webdev stuff. but since he's learning plain ruby, i'm guessing it's for something else.

You guys don't program all day do you?

what other hobbies do you have?

Prototyping, system customization (shellscripts proved to be too limited), GUI stuff and so on. We also use C for certain tasks.

It's a Linux-only shop, not even Macs in sight.

dota 2

watching football
playing football manager

electronics, math, going out and drinking on Fridays

This thread is pathetic. It is not about programming. It's just a bunch of computers illiterates and first semesters memeing about whatever they just learned.

A quick search shows that most arguments used here are not original and have been copied from some trendy tech blog or other shit site.

The only real programming questions I have seen so far are from beginners(it's fine to be a beginner btw).

This entire site is shit and I don't know why anyone would regularly come here.

What did he mean by this?

>Programming tutorial starts
>Narrator has Indian accent

where do you go then?

Not an argument

see

Why would you edit that (You) in there? I made the post he replied to.

video games
masturbation
cooking

When I'm not programming or doing some other busywork, I'm typically either playing vidya or shitposting.

why you gotta incite violence

What the fuck? This just happened, there's no great meme for you to take credit for. Why would you even pretend to be me?

>not reading a book

To your moms house.

Your mom didn't think so.

KEK GET REKT NERDS

>reading books

Maki is not a pepe

>learning from videos
Enjoy being an incompetent wagecuck.

>unemployed hobbyist trying to lecture highly paid professionals

Your mom is a pepe.

NERD

>highly paid professional
>trying to learn programming from a youtube video

Your pepe is a nerd.

MOM

>dismissing because of a source and not of the contents
>implying im that youtube video guy

Your nerd is a mom.

PEPE

YOUR MAKI IS A MOM

Pepe is shit
Maki is not
therefore maki is not pepe

>dismissing because of a source and not of the contents
>implying there is high quality material on video

>implying im that youtube video guy
You are. Your damage control have no power here. Pic related, me on the left.

YOUR MAKI IS A SLUT

apologize

YOUR SLUT IS NOT EVEN MAKI

Java is pure.

BUT YOU MOM IS A SLUT

MAKI

pure shit

Pure shit.

>Java is pure shit.
ftfy

java isn't pure shit
java is dirty shit

EVERYONE CAN BE ANYONE SO WHY NOT FOLLOW YOUR DREAM AND BECOME A FAGGOT

BECAUSE I'M NOT YOUR DAD

REKT

That's not true

I'm triggered. Apologize.

no

% or .format?

>%

ewwww

If we're talking about this for python, whichever one isn't """pythonic"""

How do you make installer for your project in Visual Studio 2017 community? Cmon, this shit is supposed to be pretty straight forward process...

.format is pythonic as fuck

>People unironically use JavaScript's new classes even though it's just syntactic sugar for prototypes and it still requires you to use the problematic 'this' keyword.

Why do people insist on using shitty parts of a language?

How is "this" problematic? I've never programmed in js but picked it up eventually and understanding how it works took me maybe an hour.

People are so indoctrinated they can't imagine programming without classes even if they have something equivalent.

>People unironically use JavaScript
Get the fuck out of here you stupid fucking frogposter

is python the most intuitive language?

There is no such thing as "the most intuitive" language without lots of context.

Depends on the project's type I guess, I used MSI for WPF.

Wrong, Java is the best programing language in existence.

yaasssss, preach it sista!!

Because the value of 'this' isn't always the same, say you add a forEach loop in your constructor, the value of 'this' won't refer to your object so you have to use ugly workarounds like call, bind, and apply.

It's just not worth the hassle, even when you fully understand it, it's something you will keep tripping over. Why use the 'this' keyword when you don't have to? The only instance I can think of is when you're creating like over 10,000 objects and the extra performance you get from prototypes is necessary.

is calculating an index for a 1d array out of an x and y value more efficient than using a 2d array?

What do you think a 2d array does?

x: geht the pointer two the array on this position
y: direct access to the value of said array

I would think it'd be identical either way.

Started making a Nonogram game.

2D arrays aren't necessarily 2 layers of indirection (jagged arrays). In C or C++ it's equivalent to just using a 1D array.

top meme

>rust

thanks
>implying

>impl {

struct ying;

impl ying {

Why do you think that go is bad?

The abstraction facilities of C with the memory management facilities of Java.

someone post the copypasta

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

- GC.
- No generics.
- Outdated type system.
- No ADT.
- No pattern matching.
- Not enough functional stuff.
- No RAII/IDisposible/Context managers.
- Ugly syntax.
- The most retarded and unsafe error handling story after C.
- Structurally typed interfaces instead of proper interfaces/type classes/traits.
- NIH infrastructure with authors spending years reinventing stuff instead of using LLVM.
- Community comprised of mostly python-kiddies.
Overall the language was designed to be as simple as possible and then even more simple so Google can train code-monkeys on an industrial scale, the only good thing about it being coroutines.

got you senpai, wasn't that hard to find in the archives