In macOS, when I close a window why does it still take up space in alt-tab when alt-tabbing to it does nothing?

In macOS, when I close a window why does it still take up space in alt-tab when alt-tabbing to it does nothing?

It's still syncing your data to NSA.

OMFG lol

fpbp

It doesn't

It's a feature

/thread

macfag

this, windows is the same way i recognize that behavior

You said it yourself. You are closing the /window/, NOT the /app/ itself.

The reason why macOS does that is because if you need the app again, it doesn't have to load from start again. This especially can be useful in heavy, bulky apps like Photoshop or Premiere.

To completely close the app, you can Cmd+Tab to said app, which will focus on the app (so it actually does something- just look at your menu bar). There, you can quit the app completely from the menubar. You could also quit the app from the dock or use Cmd+Q (this also work in Cmd+Tab mode open).

Open Program
CTRL+W program window
Program icon is still in the alt-tab bar
Selecting it while alt-tabbing does nothing

Oh, so it stays in the alt-tab bar so you can interact with it in some way with the keyboard

I get it now

/thread

That was fucking lit senpai LOL

>You are closing the /window/
And Alt+Tab circles through windows, not Apps, so if he closed the window why does it still show up in Alt+Tab?
And this behaviour has always seemed inconsistent. You have probably never in your life started an application and then attached a window to it, you always start both at the same time. So why should shutting down be any different?

>The reason why macOS does that is because if you need the app again, it doesn't have to load from start again.
This is all fine and dandy and we've all heard this excuse before. But why does Alt+Tab start the window again? How is Alt+Tab considered a way to start a program?

CMD-W to close the window
CMD-Q to quit the app

Learn shortcuts mate. It make MACs pure joy to use.

Turn off iCloud

Fix.t

>CMD-W to close the window
And Alt+Tab cycles through Windows, so if it's closed why does it show up there? It makes no sense, it's just poor design.

>t. mactoddler

Obsession

>t. mactoddler

>t. mactoddler

>t. mactoddler

The window is closed, but the app is still opened

>t. mactoddler

Then why does need a minimize button? it does the same.

I know, that doesn't answer my question. I also have launchctl running in the background of macOS, you don't see it showing up in Alt+Tab.
I mean at this point what is even the difference between minimizing a window or closing it? I guess it doesn't show up in exposed view, that's about it.

Exactly. I could swallow the idea of "well it's faster when you want to open it again", sure whatever, but if even Alt+Tabbing opens up a new window it's basically just minimizing.

>t. mactoddler

command+tab cycles through applications, command+backtick cycles through windows of the currently selected application. unless they changed it since lion alt+tab does nothing in macos

>tee dot space mactoddler

>command+tab
You're right, that's what I meant. My question remains.

>My question remains
I don't see how.
Even corrected, you said
>And Command+Tab circles through windows, not Apps

but command+tab cycles through apps

Did you pretend not to notice this:
>I also have launchctl running in the background of macOS

wtf does this mean

Hello Autismo

t. means "tervesin". Its finnish. Something like "your [blank]" or "best regards" or just "from". He implied that I'm a mactoddler abd I implied back. Nobody takes >t. mactoddler seriously.

Because Macs have always done it that way and their philosophy is not to change it for Windows babies. Closing the window does not close the application.