Does a sound card really need shielding or is it just a meme

does a sound card really need shielding or is it just a meme

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fOXSDFkDJWA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It definitely needs shielding.

I have my Soundblaster only 1 PCIe slot away from my Nvidia GTX 1080 and quite often when I right click on some window and context menu shows up, I can hear a slight pop in my music.

Not sure how to apply shielding to my Soundblaster without shorting everything...

It needs shielding if you're getting audible interference, and since the motherboard is a typhoon of electromagnetics, most onboard sound or PCIe soundcards can benefit from shielding
Or, alternatively, get an external DAC, that's far away enough from the motherboard to not recover interference
Putting the DAC on the motherboard is convenient but probably the single worst place you could put it Audio-wise

is the shielding on the Sound Blaster Zx good enough, that's what i was eyeing, but there's other alternative cards without shielding

I don't even have sound and my GPU makes noise when I click certain things

Grounded tinfoil wrapped around the analog portion of the circuit is good enough

Get an external DAC
You don't even have to worry about shielding plus you get a hardware volume knob (something you'll need if you use ASIO)

>is the shielding on the Sound Blaster Zx good enough
Dunno but a large GPU will definitely leak some noise and audio card might pick it up depending on how close it is.

>I don't even have sound and my GPU makes noise when I click certain things
Heh? Where does the noise come from?

Serious question.

You can get a really good DAC for 75 bucks.

Why get a soundcard? The cheap ones don't even have the ability to take in USB.

It comes from the GPU, some of the exit screens of games and benchmarks make it whine until I close out of it
>take in USB
What did he mean by this?
Also convenience and 7.1 audio, those or really the only two things that affordable external DACs don't have over internal soundcard

because i like recording shit from cassette and vinyl into digital files, so an ADC is necessary

That's called a fan, user

It's called a DAC regardless of the flow of data
And many motherboards include RCA connections, not sure if input or output but recording can be accomplished with many plain old soundcards

>Fans are off
>Start closing programs
>BFRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEE
It's not loud at least, but it sounds like fucking dial up

I thought I should get a soundcard if I'm more serious about preserving stuff, I don't think I'd trust recording done on onboard audio in the long run

>It comes from the GPU, some of the exit screens of games and benchmarks make it whine until I close out of it
GPU doesn't have a speaker.

Don't make me unironically explain coil whine to you jesus fuck

No? I had a xonar dg right next to my gpu with no problems.

>coil whine
GPU cards don't have transformers.

Well my GPU makes an annoying tone unrelated to the fans every time I close out of some specific programs
I'll admit I don't know 100% for sure what coil whine sounds like but I can imagine it's this whining that comes from my GPU and depends on extremely specific software functions

GPU cards do have coil whine

youtube.com/watch?v=fOXSDFkDJWA

It never happened when I was rendering 400fps in war thunder, or 800fps in the pause menu of war thunder (the only game that didn't auto limit my fps to 144, the systems set resolution)
It only happens in the exit screen of heaven benchmark or the exit screen of a PlayStation emulator
Also I learned to disregard anybody using TTS for a "fix your computer problem" video, I learned that like a fucking decade ago

I hate Linus as much as anybody else but this is sheer autism
"Cap your fps to limit your GPU load" would've been a lot easier to day, not that it fixes coil whine at all

>sound card

Is this the dead meme revival thread?