Most Sup Forums way to buy computers?

Face it we're all poor and building an i5 even with used parts isn't cost effective.

Is shopping old i5/i7 enterprise clunkers on eBay the best way to buy a basic shit office box?

In the end a computer is a computer, and the standardized hardware in these runs *nix well.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Desktop-Computer-PC-Core-2-Duo-2-93Ghz-8GB-1TB-DVDRW-WiFi-Win-10-19-LCD-/330958274909?hash=item4d0ea6815d:g:jgoAAOSwo4pYWXN0
ebay.com/itm/HP-Elite-8300-Core-I5-2-90-GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-DVD-RW-Linux-Mint-USFF-Desktop-/182417103152?hash=item2a78e81930:g:KykAAOSwnHZYdOT5
cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-E7500-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3475S
cpuboss.com
anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2
ebay.com/itm/CLEARANCE-Fast-Dell-Desktop-Computer-PC-Core-2-Duo-WINDOWS-10-LCD-KB-MS/302143648708
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-990-Slim-Desktop-i5-Quad-3-1GHz-4GB-250GB-HD-Windows-7-Pro-/282220153215?hash=item41b5a1c97f:g:ApAAAOSwCGVYASsb
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you can get a HP/DELL office pc with a 3rd or 4th gen i5/i7 and 8/16GB ram for like 150-300 €uropoors.

>isn't cost effective.

Please dont feed the consumerism.

If you just need it for common tasks those second hand boxes are good value.

You can buy a $150 PC that will do anything except new games pretty well. Add another $100 for an SSD and you're set for the next 5-10 years (except maybe a video card upgrade).

Get a newer xeon workstation like the dell precision series

that's exactly what I was describing, though?

I'm saying I look at used parts on reddit hardwareswap and the price of the parts + diagnosing the broken RAM they provide + a case is as much as a brand new i7 from BestBuy.

I'm proposing the ebay enterprise office pcs.

yeah the intel procs have amazing lasting power. there just hasn't been any big moves in desktop computer tech in 5 years.

>Face it we're all poor and building an i5 even with used parts isn't cost effective.

Speak for yourself, Rajeesh.

I'm trying to save money. Are there cheaper but more powerful Intel processors besides the basic i5/i7? The Pentiums seem super crippled.

Are there server procs that would be cheaper?

775, 1366 and x79platform xeons.

although x79 mobos are hella expensive.

>yeah the intel procs have amazing lasting power. there just hasn't been any big moves in desktop computer tech in 5 years.

ssds make all the difference, and ram which is also cheap

>I'm trying to save money. Are there cheaper but more powerful Intel processors besides the basic i5/i7?

no not really

>Are there server procs that would be cheaper?

hell no, and not worth the trouble

how much do you have to spend op?

get second hand Xeon

ebay.com/itm/Dell-Desktop-Computer-PC-Core-2-Duo-2-93Ghz-8GB-1TB-DVDRW-WiFi-Win-10-19-LCD-/330958274909?hash=item4d0ea6815d:g:jgoAAOSwo4pYWXN0

that's about as low as i would want to go

but i could make do with less i suppose

I lived with just a netbook for 6 months once

it's a machine for my mom. she streams video to an apocalyptic doomsday prophecy cult she runs out of youtube. I'm really trying not to spend any money at all.

I think I settled with a search of 4th and 5th gen i5's. I think anything less is punishing her and not future-proof.

No more than 200$. Doesn't need to have an HDD (the enterprise ones are slow 5400rpm broken shit anyway).

well what about

used servers are the way to go
just get new hard drives
replacement power supplies are cheap as piss so if that goes bad you're fine, and old xeons are like $50 that have the throughput of i7-x700 for that generation

and if you already have a monitor you could do it for under 100 bucks

While this is a "complete package" it seems like a terrible buy. The proc is absolutely worthless, even with the 8GB of RAM.

What you want to look for (IMO) is the police auction dumps. The police auctions nationally dump out hundreds of basic block machines with i5s and i3s inside across the different generations. They'll always be cheaper because the ebay seller is trying to get rid of them.

This is too "packaged" and you're paying dearly for it.

When it has 4GB RAM and they rip out the HDD and OS key you know you got a good deal.

Guaranteed that monitor and set is repackaged from a police auction with upgraded RAM. It's just repackaged police auction junk with a higher price tag.

what is the power efficiency on a server proc/mobo/RAM though? If this is running 12h/365 that adds up -- it's just eating away at your wallet every day, even if it's 12% faster that's not wise IMO.

There are a lot of hidden costs to small decisions like that. Electricity is cheap, but in aggregate it adds a large tax to whatever you're picking...

I did play with the idea but when I saw the effiency of i3s and i5s I was like whoa, that's $$ in the pocket.

That's not a very good deal. Just buy the monitor separately.

Core2Duo is not that bad for simple tasks, but I'd look for slightly newer CPUs.

she's just going to use it to watch youtube and it has a 1 year warranty

given that's what she will do the processor is basically irrelevant, his mom is not a gamer

>full working 8gb 1tb working computer with a new OS and a monitor and a year warranty for 179
>paying dearly for it

how much cheaper can you put together something with similar specs?

server processors are power hungry bastards if you run them all day , and you have to spend more for ECC ram

>Guaranteed that monitor and set is repackaged from a police auction with upgraded RAM. It's just repackaged police auction junk with a higher price tag.

more likely repackaged cubical farm junk but who cares (that's how they get hundreds that are all nearly the same and bulk retrofit them, criminals would only steal one or two at a time)

Some websites will stress that CPU to the point that you'll notice it.

8GB of RAM and 1TB HDD are way less useful for web browsing, so save money there.

I don't think you realize how intensive scrolling down Facebook is. It TEARS up weaker processors due to the video + live content bloat. I also noted that she does streaming -- Skype, Netflix, photo editing are basic tasks and are actually quite rigorous on processors.

I'm just spreading some opinion. If you check out the i5 to i3 generational benchmarks you'll see that Core2Duo isn't even in the running- never was.

You can get plenty of junk 2nd gen or 3rd gen i5's just using the processor filter at like 100-150$. ThinkCenters and HP Pros.

show me a good deal

Oh and it likely only has VGA to the monitor. Enjoy eye cancer. Which resolution anyway?
New monitors are cheap-ish. $100 gets you something usable with DVI/HDMI.

Is this why youtube is now unplayable with single core processors? I upgraded my mums old laptop to a dual core from a single core and it made youtube playable again.

>You can get plenty of junk 2nd gen or 3rd gen i5's just using the processor filter at like 100-150$. ThinkCenters and HP Pros.

without a monitor maybe

and I would argue the opposite point because there are tons of obsolete 4gb core2 and even Pentium computers at my office and all anyone does is watch youtube and waste time on facebook, they don't seem to have any problems

>$100 gets you something usable with DVI/HDMI.

so you have 100 left to builid a box with an i5 and HDMI out and a newish OS

maybe you could do it for under 100 with shipping but it would be close

that probably had to do with directx or some update or something

ebay.com/itm/HP-Elite-8300-Core-I5-2-90-GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-DVD-RW-Linux-Mint-USFF-Desktop-/182417103152?hash=item2a78e81930:g:KykAAOSwnHZYdOT5

cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core2-Duo-E7500-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3475S

150$ and completely crushes the core2duo. You need to shop smart for the proc, because the proc is the ONLY differentiator in these machines. They're all the same shit blocks.

idk about you guys but 2011 and older procs are crippled on the new web. They cannot render pages for shit. If you have an active Facebook feed with no adblock + lots of video content it will tear and lag. It's not a good experience.

Obviously if you're stuck at work it's ok, but this is a NEW machine in 2016. If you buy a shitbox from 2010 that was a shitbox in 2010 and buy it in 2016 youre burning money.

The new web is getting more and more intense on procs. Websites don't care.

I'm browsing daily on a Core2Duo, it's ok. Not that big of a difference from the early i5s. Clock for clock they're similar in some tasks.
But a C2D box (without monitor) should be like $50.
I'd still go for a newer CPU, but then be ready to spend over $100.

It literally went away the moment I swapped out the processor, went from turion mk-36 to turion tl-60 so non of them are the latest and greatest but the tl-60 can still play 720p just fine but the mk-36 used to struggle with 360p.

lmao@ the linux mint preinstalled. did someone from Sup Forums list this?

I steal old PCs from the office, essentially bare bone Optiplex with some i3, or just a mobo, throw in about $200 worth of eBay parts, i5/i7, RAM, SSD, and give them to my parents, or relatives that need a simple machine.

I also shop around for flagship parts for aging hardware. Just picked up an i7 Extreme Edition 975 for $70, and manged to sell my old CPU for more somehow.

$120 for 4gb ram a 160hd and a 17 monitor with a warranty as a package windows 10 and free shipping

beat that for a youtube box

>cpuboss.com

That site is useless, often shows wrong info.
Use something like this anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

>turion mk-36

oh i didn't know you were using something like that

$150 (VGA cable included....) no monitor

don't see how that's better than what I listed which was only 30 more with an LCD monitor

Yeah, its a dell 1501 from 2006 but for a parents machine it still works just fine with 4gb ram and the dual core upgrade.

HOLY SHIT!

I used to work there. Like 10 years ago, the company would buy old office equipment in bulk, DoD wipe the drives, put together a BARELY functional PC with the least amount of RAM possible, and sell them off like that.

I would not recommend buying anything from them. Its shit that's been stuffed in a box without protection. scratched up LCDs, broken case latches, no memory test, no HD test, no inspection of capacitors, just a simple power up, and that's it.

they also paid me under the table. again, this was 10 years ago, so who knows.

what's so hard to understand about avoiding the purchase of FUNCTIONALLY DEFUNCT hardware?

This is a NEW computer purchase- - it will probably be retained for up to A DECADE. Would you use a 25 year old processor that was SLOW AND CRIPPLED UPON ITS RELEASE?

A core2duo cannot browse the web. What makes that worth investing in for a family member's daily desktop machine? That would be a cruel punishment. LCDs are free to cheap if you check craigslist.

I don't mean to freak out on you but I'm serious about this -- AVOID AMD shit and avoid non-Intel Core shit.

>$120 for 4gb ram a 160hd and a 17 monitor with a warranty as a package windows 10 and free shipping
>beat that for a youtube box

forgot link

ebay.com/itm/CLEARANCE-Fast-Dell-Desktop-Computer-PC-Core-2-Duo-WINDOWS-10-LCD-KB-MS/302143648708

You're new to online auctions aren't you?

It's extremely common to sell used computers with ubanto/mint installed on them.

>people look for linux/no-OS when buying because it doesn't artificially increase the price
>unlike shipping with no OS you can test if the hardware actually works as soon as it arrives

THATS FUCKING CRAZY LOL.

all these ebay sellers are the same. theyre dumping police auction and office liquidation junk. Test on your own and use ebay seller guarantee whatever.

that's so funny that I found that exact fucking seller tho? are you serious? You must know some DEEP DARK COMPUTER HARDWARE SHIT. Cum in memory slots? Share stories pls.

no $200 computer is going to last a decade, especially not your monitorless mint hack box for an old lady

I promise you that you can browse the web on a 2.9ghz core 2 duo brah

both my sisters got through highschool and grad school on 2006 era AMD boxes I built for them. with one proc update along the way. Updated them to Windows 10. they're still on them

old ladies + family keep computers for decades, not years. everyone knows that.

>A core2duo cannot browse the web
Wrong. I still use a core 2 duo P8600 as my daily driver, works just fine apart from normiebook lag.

>works fine except when it doesn't

Facebook is the modern prime95 lmao

i expect no less at that price point, it's not like you can build a $50 computer with an lcd and warranty it

OP, shit like this.
ebay.com/itm/Dell-Optiplex-790-990-Slim-Desktop-i5-Quad-3-1GHz-4GB-250GB-HD-Windows-7-Pro-/282220153215?hash=item41b5a1c97f:g:ApAAAOSwCGVYASsb

or even more barebone. I've seen the case with no proc, ram, HD, only mobo, and psu go for like $50 shipped.

throw in a used proc, ram, HD for cheap, and BAM. functional PC.
I've seen some i7 Sandy Bridge sell for just over $120.

I guess some generations of Intel CPU hold up a lot more in price than others.

The shit I take from work I'm able to find a midrange i7 for just over a hundred. I can easily sell the old i3 for $40-60, and keep the old heatsink

>Face it we're all poor

Speak for yourself.

kek, its not far off.

a current referb 150dollar computer will not last 10 years though

a modern 500dollar computer might

Check Goodwill first if you just want a Core 2 Duo shitbox, I see them for ~$35 there all the time

the only thing that matters in situations like that is how hard the guy who bought all those old office PCs jewed the company who owned them, it's probably nearly all profit for him

I mean I dont know how many PC recycling centers there are in Elk Grove Village, but that's where I worked.

Just imagine a gaylord coming in overstuffed with old LCD monitors.

Hell, I used do contract work for companies that needed to upgrade everyone in the office from dinky old 17" dell monitors to 2x widescreen setups. Accounting shit.

All old monitors were packed up in a huge gaylord, no protection, and shipped off to a company just like that.

I dont have any stories at the recycling place. worked there during the summer, got "fired" because I lied about going back to school. wouldnt even let me finish working the month.
I shitposted on forums all day, and played SC on a machine I salvaged while my 10x HDD station did DoD wipes.

Cool thing was if a HD failed to wipe, or wouldnt power one, I got to drill holes in them, and take them to the grinder.

it's definitely a business model. but it's grueling and disgusting work. flipping old, crusty boxes and testing them for startup all day?

it's the modern man's gravedigger job. there's a lot of great flippable tech work on ebay. Buy old junk on ebay + repair repackage + sell for profit on Amazon.

People make 70k a year doing it.

Look up police auctions if you're interested in trying it. There's some risk involved but if you are aggressive with how you market and portray your product you can get good sales.

Places I worked for used to throw them away, or keep them in the data closet for years.

I had no issues walking out with one under my arm when I needed a PC to work on.

Some places dont care, especially after their warranty expired, and especially places that subcontract IT departments

I know exactly what you mean but if I were going to do that I would just flip/sell used cars or something, it's all the same shady business

i would rather develop skills that are marketable and used to create things people need

got to sleep at night and I don't want to test fucked computers all day trying to make 40bucks a unit

i agree that's why these things are so cheap, some big companies practically pay the guys to haul off the old generation of cubical desktops