Do "printer firmware fixes" actually work? And where can one find them for free?

Do "printer firmware fixes" actually work? And where can one find them for free?

Other urls found in this thread:

print-time.net/en/firmware/index/samsung/sl-m2070/206/648
resetprinters.net/reset-counter-samsung-sl-m2070w-printer.html
korotron-online.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=VRL714ViBcs
firmwarefix.blogspot.be/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump4 curiosity

What the fuck do you even mean?

You mean a firmware update?

No, most current printers have firmwares that are programmed to reject third-party inkt/toner so that you are forced to buy OEM expensive shit.

They even have built-in cartridge limitations, meaning that even by filling an OEM cartridge with new ink/toner, the printer will refuse to keep printing, saying that it is empty, and there is no way around it.

These supposed firmware fixes will disable the cartridge-page count, meaning that you'll be able to squeeze out as many pages out of a cartridge as you want and can just keep up refilling it which saves you like 95% of the cost

pic very much related

there are these websites that claim to have software that will unlock your printer, like

print-time.net/en/firmware/index/samsung/sl-m2070/206/648
resetprinters.net/reset-counter-samsung-sl-m2070w-printer.html

and many others, but to me it seems like a scam.

and I wanted to ask whether that is the case

Could you make your own firmware or would that require some kind of decryption/fucking with the printer hardware. I know we don't have Xbox emulation because no one cracked it but I would assume printers shouldn't be that guarded, right?

I'm just curious and clueless. Excuse my lack of knowledge.

>make your own firmware
nigga I am a biochemist, I have no fucking clue about programming, I just want to print my shit cheap.

But supposedly some "russian hackers" did it and are selling them on these websites.

>But supposedly some "russian hackers" did it and are selling them on these websites.
jej you'll get your shit cryptolocked most likely

hence why I asked for past experiences

see the websites I posted above

bump

Just search on reddit desu. You won't get any good info here.

Worked for me on some old epson.

>no one cracked it
lol no
problem with xbox emu is the fact that winblows updates fuckup any chances you have at running the emulator cause microshit is all dickwavy about people playing their games on peoples pcs

it did?

i request proofs

korotron-online.net/

found this. seems a bit less scammy than the other websites. still not buying it though
youtube.com/watch?v=VRL714ViBcs

Wow, got any of them firmwares for HP printers?

maybe here?

firmwarefix.blogspot.be/

bump

Just buy a second hand laser printer. I managed to get 2 from work. If you do it right you have an easy to service printer that'll last forever. Plus toner is cheap.

Drivers can be a pain though. I had to do work around on one of them to make it work on windows 7.

I already have a laser printer

Then wtf

bad reading comprehension?

I mean how did you fuck up so badly? What printer did you buy?

Possibly, but I doubt it.
Especially if you're supposed to run an executable on your machine at any point, probably a scam.

However, ways around printer ink bs do exist, but most are third party ink cartridges that always report full.
Sometimes the printer also counts, in which case you have to take it out, do some esoteric ritual with the printer to make it forget, and then reinsert. Those rituals can usually be googled.

The best thing to do though, is to
A) If you don't need color, standard b&w laser printers can be found for cheap used, and aren't bad new. They normally don't have this BS, and even when they do, lasers are so cheap it doesn't matter nearly as much. (But do try to avoid the few models that do this.)
B) If you need simple presentation colors, and graphics, but not photo quality, then a color laser.
C) If you actually need to regularly print out high quality color images, then Google CIS printer.

Dot-mtrix is still the cheapest method of printing black and white.

x86 is a horrifically complicated architecture to emulate, and console games don't deal well with frequency changes. Nvidia also still refuses to release anything but the barest documentation on their GPU's, even from that time period.

Buy a brother laser printer. Laser printers last forever and brother let's you use/refill their cartridges to your hearts content

You don't have a clue about what you are taking.

People tend to just nigger the cartridges in a cost effective manner. Some of them can have their codes overwritten to appear 'legit'.

It's because of how much printer ink cartridge sales are actually worth (billions) and how much effort goes into blocking 3rd party cartridges

I assume that they protect their firmware very carefully, and anticipate that people will try this attack vector. If you were to do this, it wouldn't be easy

have printers ever been good.

?????
>its like none of you dickheads know how2google

The way ink is getting so expensive, it might end up cheaper in the long run to 3D print your own damn paper documents.

get a good inkjet (brother) with a CISS from aliexpress

Alright OP, I've worked in the aftermarket cartridge/refilling industry for years. Hit me with your printer model number and I'll tell you what you need to do.