/hpg/ - Headphone General (headphone general)

Extra hi-fi edition
>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

GRADO DUCKS FOREVER

What cant I find more info on the new HD 5X9 series of pooheiser?
What model is whatREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

just add one number to the last series
518 = 519
558 = 559
598 = 599

they're basically just slight improvements over the old ones

I use HD650s

/thread

Last thread

HD579=???

>HD579
I have no fuggin idea desu
Sennheiser went full poo in loo this time

Does anyone else get a headache from specific kind of headphones?

I got a set of X2s on Tuesday.
Wednesday, I wore them all day and my head and jaw just fucking ached.
I went back to my SHP9500s today and I'm already feeling better.

But the sound isn't the same. This sucks.

are you using EQ on the SHP?

You must have a phat noggin for X2's to do that. They clamp more than 9500's but still they're pretty light on it.

Though it might just be the circular pads rather than the oblong ones on the 9500's.

No. I might as well go down that path, then. Save me money and pain.

What EQ settings do people suggest for the SHP?

I have the X2s and my head feels alright. You must be some sort of goblin since they don't fit your head

Everybody is different, use Appo Eq and use parametric filters, look for frequency spikes with Sinegen

The HM5 pads looks comfy, but the mrspeaker alpha pads looks even more comfy.

Is there a way to get them in europe, or anything very similar to them?

They ship internationally.
Take a look at ZMF pads too.

>Hifiman edition s
Has anyone used this? What's the build quality of chinkshit?

$150 for the white version, this has my attention now.

For $150, the disposable chifi nature isn't so bad.

Oh I'm fucking blind, it says further down in the FAQ..

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I'm also looking for a 2x 2.5mm > 3.5mm/6.35mm connection.

The ones that came with these headphones are way too short.
Also in Europe.

Are these the best open headphones for the price?

Also why are there so many relatively good cheap chink IEMs and not full sized headphones?

>white
Absolutely disgusting

hd558

>Are these the best open headphones for the price?
Potentially. A 558 can be had for only $80. I'd take that over it because the highs arent nearly as grainy.

>Also why are there so many relatively good cheap chink IEMs and not full sized headphones?
Cheap to produce, high profit margin, easy to ship, large market.

There are a fair wack of good chink fullsize cans, though theyre just not nearly as good value for money as chink IEMs.

>mids are recessed and treble is weak as well. X2 is a dark headphone.
is this true lads

Yes. Mids/vocals are from a hallway, no detail in the treble, and the bass is just an uncontrolled fart cannon. Also, they're not comfortable for long periods of time, they're fuck huge.

innerfidelity measurements say is v-shaped, it has mid bass, and normal sub-bass, the guide on /hpg/ say is bassy

if you want bright, yes
if you don't, no, 558 does it better

>X2
>ath m70x
>hd 600

Which one g?

hd600

Care to explain? I've only heard great things about X2s and how transparent m70xs are

x2

>Also, they're not comfortable for long periods of time
They weren't at first but after the pads and headband got broken in and the clamp wasn't as hard I can easily wear mine for several hours.

I heard IF measurements are kind of off/weird though

You just need to understand the ID compensation vs what others use.

Any differences between MDR-1R and MDR-1A?

K712

so that other guy was wrong saying the treble on the x2 is weak?

do x2's have a detailed sound?

>Are these the best open headphones for the price?
no. Best are porta pros. SHP9500 are a distant DISTANT runner up

1A is the newer version of the 1R
More bass

Also, don't buy them in the US - they're like half price on amazon.co.uk even with shipping and currency fees

>Audio DACs these days would trend to multi-bit delta-sigma
that's because these are the only audio specific chips available to mass producers.
Schiit are in a unique position of having enough money to obtain and utilise R-2R and not be handicapped by lack of quantity due to their RELATIVELY small market share. A larger producer can't obtain enough, and spending the money to make their own, well, thats reflected in prices.
R-2R is going to be next big 'thing' in DACs.
Everyone is realising 32bit and DSD are a waste of time. People just want 'clean' now.
Schiit are ahead of the trend here with the multibit.
Expect to see the chinks following suit shortly, with affordable R-2R DACs.

DACs are a waste of money comrade. They are sold to gullible people exclusivelly

>DT770
>DT770
>HD600
>M40x
>DT770
>DT770

Don't ask for recommendations here. Go to ANY OTHER WEBSITE

just to follow up, another reason manufacturers like delta sigma is because it allows them to put big fancy numbers on the spec sheet, like 768 kHz and 32 bits. Plebs think this is great. It's good marketing.
r-2r only requires 16bit 96khz for near perfect retrieval. when unwashed masses see 16bit 96khz they get scared.

He always tries to make everything warm. Anyway the raw one gray is legit

The grey one looks sex af

What does /hpg/ think of z reviews?

Holy fuck, micro b male to micro b male is so rare.

I don't want to use a huge clunky otg atapter for my portable headphone amp.

What the fuck do I do?

He's a retard

What music do you listen too?

He hypes up 90% of the things he reviews and very rarely ever talks about the negatives
metal571 and hifi heaven are better

You mean Zeos aka king of /hpg/ and r/headphones?

>Budget
$30, MAYBE 40
>Location
us
>Source
video games computer
>Type of headphone
video games headset
>Open or closed
either
>Comfort level
comfortable enough to wear for hours on end

I'm clueless when it comes to this stuff. I've been using a $5 microphone from amazon that I tape to my glasses for video games but I think it's time for an upgrade.

highly subjective reviews combined with loads of half-knowledge
avoid

GTFO poorfag.

a $30-40 gaming headset will give you
>shit audio
>shit microphone
>GAYMURR cred
what you want is a decent pair of headphones from that price range and a $1 lapel mic you stuck on them

Kingston HyperX Cloud
Used, in your case.

The trebble is not uniform, it has its own "color", if you want more neutral but similar to x2 look at hd650 or hd600, x2 is not bad though

hd6xx when?

>Budget
~$300
>Location
USA
>Source
Will get a DAC/ AMP after
>Type of headphone
Enjoying music, nothing professional
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Not a big deal, only thing is that my ears stick out
>Past headphones
HD 280 pro, HD 598, HD 600, DT770 Pro (current)

I listen to trance, black metal, shoegaze, blues, and lots of other electronica

Ok, then. Could I get a decent set of headphones for $40? Literally just need it for video games. I'm not an audiophile.

get a zalman ZMMIC1 and a 668b,681,SR850,8232,th02 or 662evo

Samson SR850 + the cheapest mic you can find (im sure there is a lapel mic on amazon for like $3)

Those samson headphones are surprisingly good for $39. Just make sure you get the ones with velour earpads and not the horrible pleather.

the samson sr850 and the superlux 668b are the same headphone, irrc. Just restyled slightly and rebranded.
so ye, get whichever you can find cheaper.

got the Audio technica ad900x to replace HD598cs

what might the senn 598SE have that these dont? the positional audio is way better, but pretty abundant in the high pitched sounds, I feel like im going to get hearing loss from these

yes, but some areas might not have both
some areas might have them at pretty different price points
alternatively, you might prefer the velour pads & headband of the SR850 like I do

598 is pretty dark yeah, tune the highs down with an EQ I guess

>grainy

Nice buzzword, kiddo.

The HD558 sounds better than the SHP9500 but the impedance curve is garbage, based on that alone, I think the SHP9500 is the better choice.

HD600.

Garbage.

Doesn't all SR850s ship with velour? These are re-branded HD681s and if you get them around $30 they are amazing.

hows the comfort? did you have to bend them so they dont form a V clamp?

i just looked and was able to get the samson sr850 and zalman for $42 incl shipping on amazon.com
protip: theres a small column on the right of the page with (sometimes) cheaper prices from other sellers than amazon.
hopefully the guy can find $2.

Can you tell more about what they're like? I'm thinking of getting them too. How would you describe the sound signature?

Did anyone at FiiO ever think about what a completely fucking dumb idea it is designwise to but a bright LED right next to the numberwheel.
You can't read what level you're on because the LED completely overshadows (or overlights) the digits.

most amps don't even have numbers on them.
your ears are how you judge the volume.
are you autistic?

>are you autistic?
nah, and it's still a flaw.

Hilariously enough, that's actually the mic I attach to my glasses. Thanks for the headphones suggestions.

Where the fuck does one shop for dacs? I tried looking on Amazon and they're all little black boxes. I'm looking to get an inexpensive one with two switchable outputs.

Add more bass, smooth the upper frequencies a bit.

Everything you just said is some combination of untrue and nonsense.
There are better ways to ask than shitposting to get an answer.

They're pretty terrible. He doesn't know, and he can't describe products. The head-mounted camera is pretty lousy for viewing. How does he get a following? How much does Amazon pay that he can pull in many thousands of dollars from referrer links?

King of fools is more appropriate.
Or was supposed to be a jab at r/headphone and hpg?

>pretty abundant in the high pitched sounds
It's more of a narrow treble peak than general treble boost.

thats what I was thinking. I like the airy sound but still unsure if the 598se might be better, I liked the sound on the closed back 598cs but the positional and soundstage were clustered and muddy. shit sounded behind me that was to the front, in games

never used equalizer, what can I do to even it out?

the earcups sag a bit but havent really been a problem to me. I do like how the wings dont rest on the top of my head, ive been complaining about that for years with other phones.

the sound is very airy, in a good way, , the soundstage is enourmous and fairly immersive too. I realyl do like the general sounds right out of the box, and for games the positional audio is fantastic.

you might see some reviews about lacking bass and it definitely does, theres not a big PUNCH to it and on some EDM its more a low note than a bass thump, but you can hear it. my current complaint is the highs might be too high for my taste, its a bit fatiguing.

can someone give me the skinny on the 598se? getting sick of returning shit but those might be a good midpoint between the muddy closed 598cs and the high pitched AD900x

>How much does Amazon pay that he can pull in many thousands of dollars from referrer links?
>amazon
son...

>Can't find DACs on Amazon
Kys my man

What is g's opinion on new HD 700 for $300? Still not worth it? Not willing to pony up the $1000 for some HD 800s but want an upgrade from usual sub $300 cans.

get an hd650 instead it's better

I'm trying to search by category so I can use filters. All that comes up there are the tiny boxes, not desktop models. I need a buyers guide so I at least know what brands' catalogs to sift through.

Have tried HD 650. Literally a meme headphone for the price when my $90 HD 598s sound pretty much the exact same.

>when my $90 HD 598s sound pretty much the exact same.
you really must be deaf, the hd700 will be perfect for you then as only the deaf can tolerate them

Get the element.

how are the 598s? im and still not convinced about my 900x's, and getting some fatigue fairly quick with these high tones, but the 598cs wasnt a great demo for the se.

The cs had shallow soundstage and muddy sound imo, but those might be solved by open back

Anyone got experience with the DT 770 PRO?

>Budget
200-300 Dollars-ish
>Location
Brazil
>Source
Cellphone, Computer and a Yamaha Keyboard
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
A middle ground between comfort and sound quality
>Sound signature
Bassy
>Past headphones
A Sony headphone that I can't remeber the name

Take your shitposting back to head-fi or plebbit, retard.

it's not shitposting just because you don't agree with it since you're ignorant

Yeah I've both the open and closed 598s. The closed are pretty bad. The open are basically in the same ballpark as the 600/650 just much cheaper. Can't recommend them enough at sub $100.

>Shitpost
>B-b-but I'm not a shitposter
You need to go back.

if you want to buy something as garbage as the hd700 then by all means go for it, just don't start shilling them here when the post purchase rationalization kicks in

>Brazil
>Bassy
African American identified.

You need to go back.

>still shitposting

You need to go back.

He-400i from HiFiMan reporting
What does Sup Forums think?

chink shit