Why aren't you running the best Linux distribution?

Why aren't you running the best Linux distribution?

Because it's linux.

because Fedora is better

Does the solus installer support lvm2, full disk encryption and selinux ?

install funtoo!

I used to use Funtoo and its just not worth it. Too much work maintaining your OS and fixing conflicts and stuff instead of just using something easy. Same goes for arch and gentoo.

I am.. debian

Does solux use selinux,apparmor or anything ?

One of these two things needs to happen.
1. Replace mutter as the default WM for budgie
2. Make KDE a package.

If they can't do that then I'm never trying it again

Arch is way out of my league. Gentoo I don't even want to think about.

Small repositories with none of the shit I use. Maybe it will be great in a year from now but not today.

Its not that hard to install but maintaining it is a pain. So often I had conflicts with packages

1. use your USE flags in make.conf file,
2. don't use unstable packages for everything, instead unmask only non-essencial packages like furfox, mpv etc.
3. Portage maintain your OS, read first point

>funtoo=arch=gentoo
You never used funtoo you lying asshole, gentoo/funtoo ARE ONLY DISTROS WHEREIN YOU HAVE CHOISE OF VERSION OF PACKAGES.

Y'all are weird. Arch is easy. Gentoo is easy too but takes longer.

But I already use Mint with GNOME 3, user.

I am.

It runs great on even weak as shit hardware that mint struggles on.

I'm using the actual best OS, Linux mint.
But then I have half assed decent hardware.

Is it any good at QEMU PCI Passthrough?

I already use Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon Edition 'Serena'

But why would you. Why not just use Ubuntu GNOME or Fedora.

Because only nerds who don't know how to program use Linux as a means to convince themselves that they are in fact good with computers which is absolutely false.

>selinux
>nsa backdoors

Been a while since I seen a KevinNet thread.
> go away Kevin

Antergos is probably for you then. It's like Arch, but the installer does everything for you.

I do, though.

Because i'm running Qubes.

/thread

(not that dude)

I have Antergos and the updates are totally borked atm. 3 or 4 packages fail the verify check, even when redownloaded. Arch is nice and all but fuck it's a lot of work sometimes. I just wanna use my computer for something productive, dig?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Because 99.9% of people who talk about what 'distribution' is better then the other are really just talking about Desktop Environments.

I've only been using Antergos for about 6 months now. I haven't had any real issues yet. If I have any significant stability issues, I'll probably move back to Debian.

Debian just bothered me because everything was always a couple years out of date, which was especially bad with things like Wine, which improve a lot with every update.

They're talking out of their ass. That's why.

Solus is fun, I'm not a poweruser and don't need to much features, I live in a country where da gubbamint doesnt spy on me, so Idgaf about selinux and the like.

Solus is a comfy distro for troubleless people.

Debian is my favorite Linux, but indeed the stale packages can be an issue. I have a GTX 960 that as far as I know it still doesnt have drivers for. Pretty much the only reason I'm not using it right now.

GNU/Linux*

Aut/ism*

Now I'm just shitposting your shitpost look what you've made me become

>Because 99.9% of people who talk about what 'distribution' is better then the other are really just talking about Desktop Environments.
>better then the other
>better so the other

>manjaro
more like womanjaro
>Qubes
more like pubes
>Antergos
more like Can'tergos
>Solus
more like sol"them"

this might actually be the worst post I've ever seen, in all the years I've been here

What are some actual reasons that make Solus better than other distros?

I currently have Ubuntu, should I try Solus or Elementary OS and why?

I'm an Arch user, but I really like Solus. The only thing that I dislike about Solus is the fact that its package manager doesn't uninstall orphan libraries once you remove a package, you have to do it manually. It sucks

Solus has x86 optimisation's you won't find in other distros. Overall it's faster and more responsive, on a HDD it boots up and opens your applications as fast as other Distros that are running from an SSD.

Enjoy your complete lack of multimedia capabilities, and don't throw the RPM Fusion excuse since we all know what a vulnerable insecure piece of trash it is

Why not use backports or upgrade to Testing/Unstable?

>should I try Solus
i wouldnt install it, it's too small and there repos are empty
>elementary OS
it's just an ubuntu derivative that's designed to be like MacOS

>I currently have Ubuntu

you have the correct linux distribution right now

if you wanna try new shit, go for it, it is all free after all. i would start with trying different DE's in ubuntu though, i really do think it's the best choice for desktops/laptops. it's the most popular distro by miles and has the most support

You're an idiot.

I haven't used backports and don't know how.

Testing/unstable isn't suitable for general use. I mean I'm sure you can get by using it, but for instance once when I was using it they didnt have the kernel headers for the latest kernel so I couldn't compile whatever it was I was trying that day. Plus I don't know how to handle the transition when a new version is released.

Obviously with some effort on my part I could figure all those issues out, but I just want my OS to work I don't need any more chores.

>more like Can'tergos

There are detailed guides in the Debian Wiki, you can use the Arch Wiki for 99% of the tasks you would ever need. But if you want something out of the box with no tinkering and good hardware support, I advise Korora, it is based on Fedora but has everything preconfigured and works flawlessly, give it a try in a live environment before hand friend

Because it's a buggy, overrated, flavor of the month distro.

Yeah I use the Arch wiki a lot, which I find kinda funny since I'm not too hot on Arch or rolling releases in general. They just have a superb wiki.

I tend to avoid anything that uses RPM. I have dicked around with CentOS however. I just started out on Debian based systems and am most familiar with them. The few times I've tried Fedora and OpenSUSE I've had instability IMMEDIATELY after install. But that goes back 5+ years, maybe that kind of shit doesn't happen anymore.

sudo pacman -Sy archlinux-keyring ;)
Antergos - Best distro

I'll give that a shot tomorrow, thanks user

Installed Solus and my life has never been better.

Fucking /thread

t. wincuck who couldn't get ubuntu installed

But I already am user! How could I resist anything so polished?

>Unironically suggesting the use of selinux: the distro

you meant to say debian stable, right user?

Kek this

I think you mean Devuan, old sport

I'm using solus right now but the limited package availability makes me sad

I've only had fedora since 23 came out and I've never messed with Debian based distros much at all. How stale pare the packages? On a similar note is arch's repository selection fairly expansive?