Surface book

did anybody actually buy this thing

did microsoft even sell 1 of these

Other urls found in this thread:

computerworld.com/article/3131906/apple-mac/ibm-says-macs-are-even-cheaper-to-run-than-it-thought.html
consumerreports.org/apple/consumer-reports-now-recommends-macbook-pros/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

We ship hundreds to our clients as mobile working solutions because they have 'hurr muh ipad' touch screens but also run on windows so we can manage them through AD and use our supported VPNs

Interesting. Seems like MS is really trying to make this thing hit the normie market as well as the educational/business markets thinkpads/dells used to dominate

they put the Cintiq in it, even advertise it with Photoshop on it, and they expect you to do work on a 13" screen? Lmao no thanks.

They look pretty great desu, if they weren't so dang expensive.

I got it for digipainting. Got the model with the fancy GPU because I also wanted to play rocket league and some other basic shit.

>resolution is 4000x3000
>tfw any game runs like ass at that res on that hardware

So I tried to run games in a lower resolution for a while, but the resolution of this thing is so non-standard there were always black bars and scaling blur. It also got hotter than the surface of the sun.

Returned 2 days later, got a regular laptop and a pen tablet instead. Can't justify the price for what you get. Maybe I'll pick one up again in 4 years (if and) when they're cheap.

Tried one at a "Microsoft store" (small kiosk in the mall, just outside a giant fucking Apple store I shit you not, literally pointing towards it so the employees have to stand there staring at it all day.) and thought the hardware was kinda neat.
Felt quality built, easily on par with Apple's stuff.

But holy shit it is not good for drawing. The screen is too slippery and the pen starts the line all fucked up when you first put it down. My gen 1 wacom bamboo works better.

Keyboard has nice keys. Acceptable travel distance but it's so cramped.

Looks like the surface studio has all the same issues with the screen based on early reviews.

Shame because that seemed like it would be a knockout for graphics designers and animators. Poor Microsoft

Wish more laptops would focus on battery life.

>buys a laptop designed for literally everything but gaymen
>tries to game on it
>surprised when it can't push a 4000x3000 resolution

this is just idiocy. its not a gaymen laptop

if you want a gaymen laptop get one of those bricks with a desktop 1080 and 500 fans and two power bricks

the SB was designed for word processing and photoshop

And the battery life will be shit.

I hope not. It seems good until you actually try to use it.

What's so bad about it?

My other issue with the screen was that the pen could press it in a bit, and you'd notice some of the color distortion you'd get when touching a naked LCD screen. The build quality did feel good, other than the screen.

>4000x3000

Autist faggots not knowing that the resolution is 3000x2000.

How bad is the wobble when in normal laptop mode?

That's like what? 5:4 resolution? Seems neat

it's actually 6:4

Yup I got one, I'm hesitant to call it good, especially at the price is listed as in relation to the performance.
I do work in the design industry and actually had to get a photodon screen protector just so that I could draw on it so now it feels exactly like a wacom cintiq but MS should've not have made it glossy glass in the first place. Drawing on glass feels horrible.
Gaming is kinda meh, can run stuff like valve games at medium at 720, but don't expect it to run the latest COD
That being said I do prefer it over the new macbook pro as a media producing computer.
Also yes the screen that supposedly is also a tablet doesn't feel like it's completely solid when you do put pressure from the stylus on it, in one of the corners you can feel the inner components flexing against the pressure of the pen.

Thinkpads only ever dominated because of government grants.

Go to a store that carries them and see for yourself. There's a LOT wrong with it.

If Microsoft would drop the stupid gimmicks and just make normal laptops with the same build quality as this monstrosity they might just have a market.

>Go to a store that carries them and see for yourself.
I will. I'll probably go to a Dell one and Mac just for fun.

I got one a while back, while there's a little wobble the keyboard and battery life is great. Works well for the work I do

3x2

You should. The xps 13 is surprisingly underwhelming in person.
>tfw the MBP used to be a respectable option before the meme bar and the dongles
The laptop market is dead.

My company loves to sell XPS 13's to clients, but my god are they shit.

They're pretty aesthetic and feel nice in the hand but they're riddled with hardware problems. For example they'll fuck up and render the entire display in the top left corner, screens will flicker and the igpu won't detect external monitors

Dell just can't make computers without hardware problems. I own an XPS 15 and my god is it a piece of shit.

Wi-fi is slow as fuck and ethernet port doesn't even work.

Haven't had the displeasure of encounting an XPS 15 yet, but from what I've heard they're pretty bad.

I think the best Dell laptop I've used is Latitude E6420 but the keyboard was absolutely terrible

>surface is shit
>macbook is now universally shit
>xps 13/15 Sup Forums usually shills to death is shit
>that new thinkpad meant to compete with xps 13/macbook is shit
>hp always has been and always will be shit (not that they'll be around much longer)

Is there a single good laptop made these days?

"Gaming" laptops or Lenovo's y-series "media" laptops are good and often well priced if you're fine with only two hours of battery life.

All I know is I'm not falling for the dell meme agian. I don't know why Sup Forums shills them so hard.

-MBP before the touchbar refresh
-surface 4 is actually quite good

Only other thing I would recomend buying is a cheapass chrome book.

Because those people never left their basements long enough to see how shit they really are first hand. They look nice in pictures and sound nice on paper but
>dell
Says it all.

Im still surprised on how they fit a 3k screen on it plus 12 hours of battery life. I would get one if I had the money, it is worth it to me for the price.

We use 3 of them at the veterinarian clinic that I work at

what's the target market for this anyway? it can't be artists because ntrig is awful for anything beyond light note taking.

Razer blade 14
Razer blade stealth

It's a decent selling premium laptop actually, and the best Microsoft product in decades. Also by far the only good Windows laptop, in a revision or two it's going to be pretty based. The problem is basically that it lacks a clear target market due the quasi tablet which is close to useless because of the battery life and uninformed Windows laptops buyers.

>wincucks try to abuse decent hardware for their vidya fetish
This is why the "business" market is flooded with cheap 16:9 trash and why Chinknovo/Dell/HP only survive due flooding the industry with cheap contracts, offloading their subpart shit on idiotic customers.

Also this. It'd be so much better if they just skipped on the gimmick hinge and made a pure laptop.

Get over your autism, rMBP is by far the best choice. If modern ports trigger you so much, the 2015 version is still there. It's dirtcheap by now and still blows the alternatives away.

I have one because I wanted a good laptop for business related work

Where can I get a refurbished 2015 model for cheap

They're dog shit. I used to work part-time in the IT department at university during my studies and they gave me the choice between one of these things and some random piece of shit five year old Toshiba laptop to do my duties on. I used the Surface Book for about a week, then one day I asked myself what I was torturing myself for, picked up the shitty old Toshiba and used that for the next two years instead.

I've used school-bought Thinkpads and they suck.
I wasn't aware that even high-end Dell laptops had those hardware problems.
Media consumption is an important part of most consumers computers.
>They're dog shit.
What's so bad about them?

Basically everywhere, base 13" version with 8GB/128GB is 1,1k from Applel directly. On ebay and specific shops it's in 900+ range.

In a more local shop I saw 15" with 8gb/512GB for just 1.4k (although euros)

This makes the Windows user interested.
computerworld.com/article/3131906/apple-mac/ibm-says-macs-are-even-cheaper-to-run-than-it-thought.html

>Media consumption is an important part of most consumers computers.
Not important enough to sacrifice the primary attributes.

What's more important to the average consumer than media consumption?

The average consumer buys trash in the 400-900 range. Most people spending more usually attempt to work on their laptop.

Though to be fair it's more down to macOS being a more polished product than the hardware itself and some people who buy Windows laptops tend to use Loonix.

Yes, reviewers and testers, obviously.

The worst Windows problem I've had is almost formatting my hdd because of my computer not starting up properly.
It was some shitty ASUS OC software and if I had formatted it would've been my fault.

I really REALLY liked my Dell Inspiron 7548. I had to bypass the Dell lockups to install the hardware drivers from manfacturers itself.

I recently bought a refurbished Surface Pro 3 i5 model with 256 gb of storage for aroud $450. I like it also.

It's hard to imagine Sup Forums complaining about 4:3 masterrace.

Sup Forums? Please, it's neo Sup Forums with occasional mention of technology.

bump for the surface book

Pretty popular around my uni, our engineering department requires digitized touchscreen (not just capacitive).

What other computers are popular?

Unless it boots GNU and doesn't take after a digital photo frame...
The surface tablets 1/pro/2/pro/3/pro/4/pro all did that.

I want one but it's overpriced. But it has the best battery life on the market period, even more than what the macshit advertised (and failed at).

Nice bait.

>consumerreports.org/apple/consumer-reports-now-recommends-macbook-pros/
>literally over 18 motherfucking hours without memebar

Why do you need more than 13 inches? Its not like youre your girlfriend visiting my crib.

it's the only fully functional laptop you can buy today with a 3:2 ratio. that alone makes it better than everything else on the market.