I'm going to get a 6700k to use with hyper-threading, but i also want the potential to overclock down the line...

I'm going to get a 6700k to use with hyper-threading, but i also want the potential to overclock down the line. Which chipset allows this? h170? q170? or the z170?

That video is cringey as fuck.

I can understand why he is so popular among Sup Forums toddlers

isn't 6700k an i5?
those don't have hyper threading.

i7 6700k
You're thinking of the i5 6600k

never watched it. just needed an image. who is he?

linus torvalds

go to youtube and search for "linus hyper-threading"

Linus is a sales person who works in bestbuy

oh, it's that other linus i always hear people bitching about but i've never actually watched him.
i did actually watch the video, but i already know what hyper threading is. I just wasn't able to find concrete information on which chipset supports it and if you can still overclock with it.

All modern chipsets support it. It's part of the CPU itself, it only works on some CPUs such as i3's and i7's and it's locked on CPUs such as some i5's and yes you can still overclock with it.

Also if I got something wrong feel free to correct me

If you want to overclock you need a Z chipset, the end

But everything supports hyperthreading

it looks like the 6th gen i5's don't support HT according to wiki?
I was leaning on a h170 but i'll probably get a z170 for a few more bucks.

nigger

All chipsets work with SMT, or "Hyperthreading"
Pentiums and i5's have SMT disabled
i3's and i7's have SMT enabled

The gist is Pentiums and i3's are the same chip, and i5's and non-LGA2011 i7's are the same chip. Portions of the chip are disabled and clocked down for market segmentation and yields, if part of your processor doesn't work due to a fabrication error, Intel can sell it as a lesser model rather than throwing it in the trash.

Now, overclocking only functions on Z series chipsets, H and B both prevent overclocking. As well, only chips with K on the end can overclock beyond bclk increases. Hence 6600 and 6600K are the same chip, just the K one can overclock.

All i7's on the LGA2011 socket are a different chip from the other i7's and i5's. They all have SMT, can overclock, and all their motherboards support overclocking. For market segmentation they instead ramp up core counts, from 4 core at the bottom to 10 core at the top end. Why they don't just call them i9's is beyond me.

>selling intentionally damaged goods
with jews, you lose

Yup with Intel you need the most expensive CPU and the most expensive chipset to have the privilege of overclocking.

AMD's Ryzen by contrast allows overclocking on all but the lowest end chipset, and on all CPUs.

>Not selling functional processors where a feature or two doesn't work as long as you clearly advertise that fact
With recycling you win

The Skylake BCLK overclock fiasco showed us a glimpse of a glorious world where Intel sold everything unlocked

The i3 6100 should be a 4.6GHz chip, and a good chip with a good cooler can hit 4.8 or even 5 (you'd need a water-cooler to hit 5GHz though, so why not just buy an i5)

Every semiconductor company does this.

1080's and 1070's are the same chip, 1060 6gb and 3gb are the same chip, 1050 Ti and 1050 are the same chip. RX480 and RX470 are the same chip. FX8350 and FX4300 are the same chip.

They are not intentionally damaged, it is an effect of the manufacturing process. Not all dies are 100% functional.
They sell these parts as lower binnings to recoup losses. Its always been this way, and everyone does it.

I think bclk still works on Z boards with non-K chips

Until you need to update the BIOS.

Z170 allows you to OC. As does Z270. Anything else is locks your cpu to a certain speed it came with unless you can enable boost but that's not overclocking.

It does but you need special BIOS and it only works on Skylake (theoretical it could work on Kaby Lake with a custom BIOS). My i3 6100 rocks 4.6GHz 24/7 at 40° loaded on a cheap cooler

>I'm going to buy a CPU less than two months before all CPU prices fall dramatically

Nice try, Intel.

If you want to overclock get a Z170 chipset.