You have at your disposal a team of PhDs in Engineering, Physics...

You have at your disposal a team of PhDs in Engineering, Physics, Math and various STEM fields; unlimited funding and resources.

What is your project?

>Me
Mind uploading

Other urls found in this thread:

aeon.co/essays/your-brain-does-not-process-information-and-it-is-not-a-computer
nytimes.com/2015/10/11/opinion/sunday/will-you-ever-be-able-to-upload-your-brain.html?_r=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

terraforming and space travel duh

Making Sup Forums great again

Biological computing and recursively self-improving artificial intelligence.

setting the intel factories on fire with my mind

Find a way to make distributed generation from household scale alternative energy sources stabilize the grid rather than destabilize it.

just to elaborate, I think biological computing could solve P vs NP, since protien folding's algorithmic complexity is NP, but is solved in polynomial time. It doesn't mean a classical computer can do NP in P time, it just means that folding protiens is different order of computing.

Space travel, or real ass AI. Actually yes, ill build the super retardedly smart AI and add its intelligence to the team and then well, get space travel together.

Exterminate the queers.

Latency is the leading cause of homophobia, user.

never get fat ever from eating food, all while gaining the perfect sexy amount of muscle mass without working out, all via a one time pill or injection

>tfw used to be skinnyfat despite awful diet
>went on antidepressants
>now actually fat

electrical properties of monopoles in relationship with the energy of the vaccuum, as a lot of research points to this being a potential source of free energy.

making this fucker

Building the human hivemind.

>Free energy
>Laws of physics

>currently known laws
Since its not a mathematical impossibilty, then there is no reason not to attempt every potential avenue.

Weapons development.

Pi Josephson junction implementation and manufacturing.
Read somewhere this is supposed to be the successor to the transistor.

Fizzbuzz all day every day until they finally snap

this is interesting, I hadn't heard of it. What benifits would it have over current transistor technology?

aeon.co/essays/your-brain-does-not-process-information-and-it-is-not-a-computer

why strive for a goal founded on a false premise?

Nuclear fusion still hasn't been harnessed.

who are you replying to?

>what is an emulator
Why post on Sup Forums at all?

S E X B O T S
E
X
B
O
T
S

Literally tren

Transcendence

We can't ever hope to simulate 86 billion neurons and their 100 trillion connections which the brain comprises, and if we could there would be no way to transfer consciousness to a machine.

Sure we can. Who ever said it has to be realtime. You could simulate it right now on today's hardware if you wanted to, it would just operate slower than realtime.

that is not tantamount to digitising a human mind, which OP would hope to achieve by his project.
this theoretical neuroscientist explains clearly the magnitude of the complexity of the human brain:
nytimes.com/2015/10/11/opinion/sunday/will-you-ever-be-able-to-upload-your-brain.html?_r=0

>that is not tantamount to digitising a human mind
Yes it is. Get 100TB of storage, get some decent hardware, run the biochemical simulations. It might take a year to do a minute of simulations with basic equipment, but it would still be an accurate result, and indistinguishable from the real human mind operating over a 1 minute timespan.

>Mind uploading
Literally everything we know about consciousness points in the direction of it being inextricably linked to the physical brain. No amount of engineering will overcome an absolute barrier, though I'm not entirely sure if a Ship of Theseus approach couldn't (sort of) work. But "uploading" inherently means making a copy and that copy wouldn't be you - so if immortality is your goal, it'd be completely useless.

>No amount of engineering will overcome an absolute barrier
If we can simulate quantum chemistry, then we can simulate a human brain. Simple as that.

This happened to me too.
Not sure if it is just because I got older .

>100TB

not likely

Destroying all technology and wealth.

Miscalculation, probably more like 1PB, less if you do crazy optimizations for minimizing space.

Maybe not but whatever subset could probably post on Sup Forums

Warp travel

>Literally everything we know about consciousness points in the direction of it being inextricably linked to the physical brain.
If by consciousness you mean "awareness" or the cartesian theatre, then you are right. But whose to say a computer mind doesn't also have its form of cartesian theatre, as its also in the end based on the physical processes of electrons flowing through transistors. You are fundementally talking about the "hard problem" as its called in neuroscience circles. But, if our advanced form of awareness is the result of complex interactions of physical particles, then physical particles must have a basic form of awareness, thus a simulated mind being built on physical hardware must also be aware.

have them fly out to all parts of the world buying up anime related stuff and purchase a 100 story building to put all that stuff in it.

Like the above poster said user, your brain isn't a computer. It just doesn't work that way. Your brain stem is not running firmware, your frontal lobe is not an OS, and your memories are not just random bits of stored data.

>what is physical simulation
How hard is that to get through your thick head? There isn't any magic going on there, every biochemical reaction in your brain can be simulated algorithmically.

The problem isn't simulating a brain but whether it's possible to upload yourself into a machine and still be yourself (as opposed to a 100% accurate copy).

By the end every 7 years every statistically atom in your brain is replaced with different ones, or at least completely changed positions to completely different areas. You already are a copy.

I'd try to cure mortality.

I once heard in an interview that there is no focus on it because a. you can help people easier by focusing on small issues like feeding people b. moral issues. So it really meeds more attention.

I don't care about discontinuity, that's a retarded falacy. If you play the same song from two different computers, does that change the song? No. If you play the same human from two different physical representations does that change the human? No.

You are confusing instances and objects (in programming terms). A human is defined as the object, and each "frame" of time in reality an "instance" of you exists. The instance of you from a few seconds ago is dead. The only "you" that's alive is the present you. You are just a copy of what you were in the past already, so mind uploading really shouldn't be any different.

A colony in Venus would be a good start.

>every 7 years every statistically atom in your brain is replaced with different ones
I'm aware of that, hence the mentioning of Theseus' Ship.

>If you play the same human from two different physical representations does that change the human?
Well, obviously. But that's not what people mean when they talk about "uploading their mind" - the idea is that your consciousness gets "transfered' into the computer and ceases to exist in your physical brain which, quite frankly, isn't possible no matter how you look at it.

>You are just a copy of what you were in the past already, so mind uploading really shouldn't be any different.
I'm not convinced it's *that* simple. We really don't know all that much about consciousness except that it is generated by the physical brain and I have my doubts that killing a dude and activating a copy of him is the same as current me VS. me five minutes ago.

Quantum mechanics fuck with the laws of thermodynamics.

are you aware of 1 second ago like you are aware of the present? Or is it just a memory? It's just a memory, you only are "alive" in the present, and therefore are dying every plank second, to be reborn as a new instance of yourself. This is a gross oversimplification, but essentially is true. Being copied to a computer is no different, because the "you" that got destroyed to be copied was already going to be dead in the next instant anyway. So in the end it makes no difference.

OLED development I guess. LCD is shit.

this. Mars is problematic.

>the "you" that got destroyed to be copied was already going to be dead in the next instant anyway
Let's say the original physical body/brain doesn't get destroyed (aka the default option) and now there's two copies of me - which is the "real" one, or rather, which body contains the original stream of consciousness? The answer is obvious: the original brain. They can't be both "real", at least not in the sense that matters to humans. Also, your argument is based on extrapolations of our current knowledge, which is very limited to say the least. So, I dare say there's no definitive answer yet and we just have to wait until science has advanced to the point where the evidence is unambiguous.

>Mars is problematic.
As opposed to Venus where it's smooth sailing all the way?!?

Mars colony would probably be simpler, but a floating colony in the atmosphere of Venus would be way cooler.

MOON BASE srsly how could they not have
O made this shit after landing? "okay we made
O it to the moon, we'll from now on take photos
N of space from space"

B
A
S
E

>Not sure if it is just because I got older .
it's not.

>not a mathematical impossibilty
>implying the universe is infinite
possibly, but impossible to know

If I were to choose something for myself only, it would be the development of the best vocal synthesis engine for both speech and singing, as well as the associated interface.

>a floating colony in the atmosphere of Venus would be way cooler.
Can't argue with that, though why not build a submerged colony on Europa or one of the other moons that contain an ocean under the surface?

Neural interface with both input and output.

proving Sup Forums topics mathematically with in depth proofs and extremely low p-values then making virii that targets certain genotypes

Smoking device for weed that you can use underwater.

Captcha: welcome to tapachul

We have nothing to gain from our moon that would justify building and maintaining a base there. Maybe in the far future, as location for a shipyard or something, but now it'd be nothing more than a prestigious money pit.

Skynet

literally steroids

>cure obesity via brain rewiring
>cure transgenderism or body disphorias via brain rewiring
>a selective virus to kill sand niggers, niggers and jews easily
>develop almost latency free high bandwith wireless internet via quantum tunnels

You do realize that you'd be all but literally Hitler, right?

Yes.
Except the part of the sand niggers, niggers and jews, I think that these three problems will make the population a bit more happier.

We already have the wiring for avoiding obesity. Our food is just so calorie dense and lacking in fiber it doesn't trigger our satiety mechanism anymore. I don't see how you can cure it. It would be like trying to cure overfilling your gasoline tank.

that's an awful thing to think about

how would a station on europa get energy to sustain itself that far from the sun?

p=np

>user blows $100 trillion dollars and has nothing to show for it
Keep going though, unlimited funding m8 :^)

same can be said for space program in general, but it's caused a lot of technology spinoffs. War is really good for technological advancements; but so are forays into new frontiers and less people die.

Some kind of tidal power plant? The station would be located in an ocean after all. Maybe there's even a way to harness energy from hydrothermal vents, who knows?

>We already have the wiring for avoiding obesity.
No, we have the wiring to get fat easily and lost weight with difficulty. Even in a meme diet like keto or paleo you can gain weight and lose it is relatively difficult. (Obese have it easier metabolically speaking, but still is difficult)
In evolution terms, being fat for us was never a problem, but lost weight was a death sentence.
You have to solve some problems anyways.
For example, if you rewire your brain to not drop the metabolism while dieting, that shit would be easy as fuck.
If you rewire reward centres, you can modify behavior towards food. You can modify population to find food lest tastier.
If you rewire satiation levels you can modify it to get them activated with less difficulty, considering that our processed foods are easily chewable.
If you rewire the set point in brain, you can reset it to start rejecting weight gain after certain body fat threshold. The problem of post-obese folks that make it to their ideal weight is that his brain is settled to certain threshold of body fat, so they start to get hungrier and their metabolism drops. If you modify them for keep at a low level, maintain their weight will be easier.
Its a fucking complicated thing; weight regulation is complex as fuck (Cat-v psychos would scream at it) but a lot can be done at brain level to improve the matter.

install Gentoo

>genetically engineering humans to go extinct from malnutrition after the fall of society

Not the same. We know enough about the moon to tell that it makes more sense to go to Mars or build a space station (which we did). There's simply nothing on the moon that would give us an advantage over the alternatives at this point.

>believing in memes

I can see it

Your post seemed to imply that there wasn't a satisfactory dollar cost/benefit ratio for going to the moon, but I can't imagine that there is a satisfactory dollar cost/benefit ratio for the ISS or a Mars colony. I understand if you are saying that the ISS/Mars colony will offer more benefits than a Lunar colony, but it just seemed like you were saying a Moon colony wasn't going to give back the money it cost to make.

I remember reading an article about how big of a pain in the ass it would be to maintain one, it would be way too expansive, plus the dust is so thin it would be actually a very big problem maintaining the equipment in a good state on the long run.
So, too much work and trouble for what it’s worth basically.

Because I'd like to live long enough to move into the said colony. We know how to build blimps. We have a pretty good idea of the conditions in the Venus. I feel pretty confident that, with unlimited funding, we could make a colony in Venus work in a couple decades. A submerged colony in the surface of one of Jupiter's or Saturn's moons? Just getting a probe there so we can assess the conditions properly would probably take 20 years. And then you have to build something liveable that can withstand those conditions while being (mostly) self-sustaining? And it would NEED to be self-sustaining, since getting any resources from Earth to there would be a pain in the ass. Getting resources to Venus would be simple by comparison.

Applied eugenics

>nothing to gain
yeah because the first couple trips there, and having a floating space station in constant freefall have proven us nothing of value is in space habitat...

humanity is already planned/planning extraction trips to asteroids, having a base of operations for transport, regulating, and assuring earths safety BEFORE bringing it into our atmosphere is essential if we plan to plant seeds across our solarsystem, and the rest of the galaxy.

not even mentioning the potential for people to properly prospect and maybe even mine it for valuable resources. also as a country, being the first one with a real base on/under the moon will give you a massive strategic advantage over other countries, not just militarily but economically as well.

I suspect this. I have made a concerted effort to exercise most days and it is helping, slowly.

>why drop something onto a giant ball of gas
>and not drill miles deep of methane ice in artic temperatures in an environment that could easily go boom at any moment
that's literally what you're asking.

Finding a cure for autism so we can stop having these threads

I'm not sure how you expect methane to burn without oxygen

This has never been done in the history of mankind, what makes you think it can be done now?

Underrated kek

>too expansive
it's an investment more than anything.
having a low gravity nearly 0 atmosphere within a few hours of flying, is just too fucking good to toss up. we should be building the foundations for it by now. if we hope to achieve a space bound species, we need to start there.

Space travel without rockets. This may or may not involve antigravity.

>getting a probe there so we can assess the conditions properly would probably take 20 years.
Uh, the last time we send a probe there it took less than 2 years...

>getting resources to Venus would be simple by comparison
Well, yes, but there's no water on Venus and that's the whole crux. On Europa you got actual fluid water that could very easliy sustain any size of colony for an indefinite amount of time. Venus, on the other hand, requires water from an external source forever.

i'm not sure how you would live in an environment without oxygen.
the base itself would warm the surrounding ocean to such a temperature it would cause serious instability.

Give me a masculine bf who will be my perfect partner until death parts us.
Find one, make one, train one, I don't care.

A mining colony on the Moon would make a lot of sense to use as the base for further space exploration in the long term, since it takes a lot less delta-v to get out of Moon's gravity well.