How to write a cv for a software engineering position nowadays?

How to write a cv for a software engineering position nowadays?

Meme design or old school text only?

What to include, other than a list of companies I worked at?

How to list familiarity with languages and technologies? There's way too much of that shit to just list it all.

Other urls found in this thread:

pjreddie.com/
medium.freecodecamp.com/i-reviewed-fifty-portfolios-on-reddit-and-this-is-what-i-learned-e5d2b43150bc#.jmzmt2qyx
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is this a meme?

I'd imagine I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to print this out for an interview

Text only. Too fancy resumes=hiding your incompetency.

Good enough?

Pretty simple and clean, but aesthetic at the same time

Like this, obviously

>skills as percentages/bars

Looks retarded. We're not machines, you can't quantify skill like that.

What does 80% HTML even mean, for example?

Agreed.

How do I list all technologies I know? I could probably list like 8 languages, 12 frameworks, 30+ libraries, 30+ pieces of popular software I worked with. How to make sense of this mess?

Fucking this. I'm an interviewing manager for the healthcare facility I work for and all of these resumes would have been immediately filed in the bin if they'd come across my desk

>The best college 2011-2009
>2011-2009
???

This is quite good, except for the graphs.

You can only use graphs (that include some kind of progression indication) with a few things.

For example, there are different level certifications for learning foreign languages.

You could have a bar filled to 25% for the lowest level certification, 50% for intermediate certification, 75% for proficient certification and 100% for "I can speak this language as if I grew up and cursed a lot in it".

Otherwise, graphs are just fucking nonsense.

>be that guy in 2011
>oh shit nigga i need a college diploma
>i have to go back in time

>60% ring is filled 50%
>90% and 80% rings are filled 75%

List the 8 languages normally, as a list or comma delimited. Try to put frameworks and libraries into broader groups if possible (indicate which ones are libraries and which ones are frameworks), pieces of software is a meh thing to mention, but again, try to group them. A tree-like grouping design could help e.g.

Graphics
|_2D
||_Photoshop
||_Illustrator
|_3D
|_3DS Max
|_Maya

no, even worse, the 80% ring is slightly less filled than 90%, so he put effort into doing that but didn't give a shit about 90% and the other percentages for no reason

he's a fucking moron

Kinda messed up my formatting on the tree but you get the idea. Also forgot to mention, if it's a web resume, this is even easier to accomplish.

best font?

sarif or sans-sarif?

>Worked for NIST and IBM
>Had a sweet-ass radio DJ job in Alaska

I want this to be real and true so bad, because it means a fucking sperglord Bronie has accomplished more than half the people on this board already.

It's sErif and:
serif for long paragraphs and texts
sans-serif for short sentences that are NOT in between your long paragraphs

Continuity is key.

but why? sans-serif is more readable and more lightweight so it should be better for long paragraphs

while serif is more aesthetic, has a bigger impact and should look better for headings and stuff like that

It is true: pjreddie.com/

Daily reminder to NEVER rate how well you know a certain topic on your CV. Always just say that you know it and if they ask you in an interview just dump info on them as best you can.

>more than half the people
I'd wager more than at least 95% of the people who (regularly and consciously) visit this board

I remember reading about it on a typography book. Serif is more comfortable for long-term reading, while sans-serif is not. Or maybe I just remember them inverse. Anyway, you better research it if it interests you.

(including me btw)

this is not real

Your resume must be machine readable, so plaintext Word or PDF.
It must also be human readable at a glance, so organize your resume so someone can glance at it and get the information they need - don't be afraid of bullet points.

>I could probably list like 8 languages, 12 frameworks, 30+ libraries, 30+ pieces of popular software I worked with
Step 1: don't list all of that.
Only list what is relevant to the job. Frameworks and libraries come and go, so I wouldn't list them unless they were asked about in the job posting.
If you aren't sure what language the job is in, then list a small handful of languages that you know the best.

I think this is a pretty nice résumé, OP:

I don't fill one out because I have no schooling nor professional experience, self taught and open source contributions. NEET4lyfe

Thanks for all the contributions in this thread, you guys are immensely helpful.

Sup Forums truly the best board

>CREATIVE DIRECTOR
>uses shit template to make cv
hahah no.

Are web resumes a good idea though? Do HR subhumans even have time to click links and visit shady websites?

Don't list any "skills" you know. List completed projects that used languages or tools you actually used.

>Meaningless progress bars that make you look like an arrogant buffoon

Seriously, what does "Photoshop 80%" mean? You've learned 80% of everything inside Photoshop? I doubt veteran professionals would claim that.

Also

>Wordress

My resume is written in plain text, left aligned, and it got me a job as a web developer.

This. Designed resumes like and are autism tier.

Those websites are goid if you are freelancing.

If you are applying to some company, then HR does not give a shit. They run your resume through their system and pull up keywords/statements they are looking for. If you fit the bill, then they read your cover letter. If your cover letter is ok, then you get a phone call.

>cover letter
Who the fuck writes those in 2017?

I can't believe a bronie can archive this.

Don't include the percentage. Just say you know everything,.

post best ones

he forgot

>100% autism

Posted on plebbit with this title:
>IF THIS DOES'NT WORK THEN WHAT?

pajeets unironically think this is good

>97%
Why not write 97.23556%

>HR
>he doesn't exclusively work at sub-50 employee startups

Great advice automaton

i would post the dude with the MLP one but i get banned because "hurr durr"

>she got the job

How do you be this inept? Would I look like this if I was arrogant and learned "indian" as a second language?

>printed it out
>has to ask for it back every time she's denied
>they threw it out
>another $10 at kinkos

LaTeX or bust

Layout doesn't really matter too much as long as:

>It's easy to read
>It's easy to edit/tailor to every job you send it to.
>Most important things are at the beginning

BECAUSE MY CREATIVITY LEVEL IS 97% EXACTLY MOTHERFUCKER!

I GOTTA BE HONEST I LIKE HIS MOXIE. SEEMS PRETTY BASED TO ME. GOT IT ALL FIGURED OUT.

>>HR
>>he doesn't exclusively work at sub-50 employee startups
>Great advice automaton

Yeah man...like everyone who works for a large corporation is a fucking sheeple. Not me, though. Us cool kids only work for sub-50 employee startups. We have like ping pong tables and arcade games and like, slides at our office. Not like you corporate sellout automatons. I coded on a bean bag chair the other day while you coded in a cubicle. Bitch.

/gd/ here, never use the "power level" resume. Instead just use the good ol' format or If you're classy use the grid system like this one

>I'd imagine I'd be pretty pissed off if I had to print this out for an interview
Literally the absolute gayest thing you could ever hope to do in your life.

Not even tech related but I saw one like this in another department some months ago, people gathered around and collectively facepalmed and mocked that piece of shit. It was a lesser quality but similar style, actually fuck it; it was ms-paint-tier terrible and had the dude's portrait on it.

CVs are meant to be plain text on a page, the maximum styling being bolding, underlined headers, maybe different coloured headers.

>@GM
>AIL.COM
Trashed, don't need to look at anything else

Sup Forums do you even TeX bros?

bonus points for LaTeX source

This. Employers just want to know how confident you are in that skill, your own rating is useless. medium.freecodecamp.com/i-reviewed-fifty-portfolios-on-reddit-and-this-is-what-i-learned-e5d2b43150bc#.jmzmt2qyx
>inb4 reddit

>reddit

Wasn't it just working at Gamestop or something?

Also the filling is horizontal at its end.

>this resume blows mine out of the water

That is like redflag central. Wonder where he will be in 20 years.