Best Linux distro for a small financial corporation?

tl;dr What is the best Linux distro for a sever for a small financial corporation?

I'm opening a mortgage brokerage firm in the US this year. This is a very small yet highly profitable business, at max we may have 4 employees, so nothing too enormous. Before I open my firm, I've been undertaking studying everything possible related to IT, servers, sysadmin duties, etc, as I will be undertaking all of these responsibilities within my business.

I've been using and learning all about Linux for about 3 weeks off Ubuntu due to it's accessibility and noob-friendliness. I plan to feel totally comfortable in the OS before moving on to selecting distros based on functionality. From that point on, I'm going to have to purchase a designated server to host the web server, email server, etc on.

get debian or centOS

Get red hat. Sometimes you really want to get help.

Zentyal or ClearOS.

Debian stable is a good server OS and will be pretty familiar if you've used Ubuntu before.

That said, if you try to do all the sysadmin work and don't know what you're doing, you're probably going to run into a lot of problems at first, and most likely it will be your full-time job for a while, so be prepared for that. You should at least find a good IT guy you can call in case everything catches fire.

CentOS/Red Hat is the industry standard. CentOS is Red Hat without a subscription.

Redhat if you want to pay a little for your software and get professional tech support.

Fedora if you want to pay nothing for your software and support it yourself.

They are both the exact same OS, literally on Red Hat you are just paying for tech support.

The NSA only uses Red Hat. That says something

Almost. CentOS is very close to RHEL, but patches/updates come from the community. If you use Fedora, your patches/updates come from Red Hat.

If you want a free RHEL, go for Fedora, not CentOS

Red Hat all the way. If you're using this for a professional purpose then you'll want the professional assistance when you need it. I'm guessing you don't have have much experience with Linux if you're asking which distro to use, so if you're managing financial records then you should use a distro with support.

OP, im a current uni student with several professional certifications... CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Linux+, and Linux Professional Institute Level 1 Administration.

I have been managing personal linux servers for a few years now. If you want an experienced linux admin who is willing to work inexpensive (to support my education) you should contact me.

This, do not fuck over your clients because you got in over your head.

You will need help at first, so you may as well make sure you have it available.

dont you know guys how much red hat supports costs??? are you that retarded? OP you can easily go with something free, like debian stable or something like that, and you can get free support from community, you are not doing something extremely mission critical to have commercial support from red hat.

OP, SEE:
If you are not an experienced linux systems admin, you do not want to do this stuff yourself for a financial business

>trying to get a job from a Sup Forums post

>dont you know guys how much red hat supports costs???
it does get expensive...
Im not ashamed

If OP can't afford a couple grand a year for RHEL, they have no business trying to run a mortgage broker firm. That might sound like a lot to an unemployed student, but as a business expense it's practically nothing.

>you can get free support from community
Stackoverflow is fine for personal usage and DIY sysadmining, but in a production environment, time is money. You literally can't afford to have your shit sitting offline while you google how to fix some strange error or hope someone sees your SO post. In a business, it's extremely valuable to have a phone number you can call and have someone knowledgeable fix your shit in minutes or hours.

>you are not doing something extremely mission critical
Running your business's server software is definitely mission critical.

>Im not ashamed
It reeks of desperation, which is a huge red flag when making hiring decisions. Besides, if OP has any sense (which is debatable) they wouldn't even think about putting their critical business infrastructure at the hands of some rando on a chinese cartoon website.

> they wouldn't even think about putting their critical business infrastructure at the hands of some rando on a chinese cartoon website.
Ill fill out a resume like everyone else.

I'd go with CentOS or Debian Stable.

lmao rhel license ís more expensive than a windows license
They even outjewed microsoft

Debian stable

GNU+Linux

>lmao rhel license ís more expensive than a windows license
>implying Windows is better than RHEL
The NSA uses one but not the other. Guess which one it is and why

Solus. It's like a good ubuntu.

>The NSA uses one but not the other. Guess which one it is and why
US military is the largest investor in Red Hat
I doubt this is mere coincidence

Linux....small business.

Get Windows you dense Fuck.

I'm assuming you're going to be using Calyx Point or some other origination software and that means Windows.

>former senior LO and Alt-A/Subprime Account Exec here.

Been out of the mortgage biz for 12 years now so shit may have changed.

>US military is the largest investor in Red Hat
>I doubt this is mere coincidence
Its not. Us Military almost exclusively uses either Red Hat Linux or LynxOS (a specialty Real-Time operating system used for especially high speed applications such as missile defense systems or the AEGIS targeting system)

windows or debian stable

>Calyx Point
that can be WINE'd. no need for windows and its bloat

Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

From my experience working with financial software most of the people you'll be dealing with will want windows xp or osx. Kubuntu has absolutely everything a linux system needs and has - as you said 'accessibility and noob-friendliness'.

As you grow your business you'll need a device management system if you're ever going to comply with any data laws in the us or uk. Cannonical has the only serious one for Linux so Ubuntu is your only choice.

If you want a designated server go with AWS or Azure cloud because again, you'll need security and scalability.

if there's an issue they won't support you at all.

"Calyx does not support the operation of Point or any data hosted on a storage device and RAID Arrays, or the operation of Point on the following networks:

Novell networks
Linux environments
Windows 98
Windows 2000
Windows ME
OS/2
UNIX
Any thin-client networks such as Citrix or Microsoft Terminal Services"

>I've been undertaking studying everything possible related to IT, servers, sysadmin duties, etc, as I will be undertaking all of these responsibilities within my business.

If this isn't bait, then you're a fucking idiot.

Those are professional duties performed by people with years of relevant experience.

Enjoy getting your shit hacked and losing everything. Luckily, this is just some fantasy that someone posted on Sup Forums.

>If you want a designated server go with AWS or Azure cloud because again, you'll need security and scalability.

> US-based 'cloud' service
> security

Pick one.

I'll take the US-based 'cloud' service.

>Hey guys I have no clue about how linux works but I'll be relying on a linux server for my business and I'll be maintaining that server which the business will rely on. What distro should I choose?

You should choose to get someone who knows what they are doing to set everything up and fix it when it goes to shit.

Think about it this way. Time is money. In the half a day that it could take you to fix something a sysadmin can do it in 20 minutes or less.

Only large businesses use linux.
Everybody knows that.

>debian
Uhmm, Debian security is horrible these days. I would not recommend this.

Gentoo.
Not joking, it is the most performance-oriented distribution and works around 30% faster than standard Ubuntu/Debian with a number of fixes.
Also, consider buying Power8 server if you really care about your sensitive data security.

First thing you do when connect a Linux-driven server to Internet is set up a firewall, software-based (iptables), and also a hardware-based military grade solution (Cisco, Novell).

Install Gentoo.

Expand on this

It sounds like you're taking your business seriously so you need to ask in a serious place.

Try reddit.com/r/linux or reddit.com/r/sysadmin

You'll only be trolled here and if you take any advice seriously, your business will suffer.