Switch hardware analysis

Switch uses an Nvidia Tegra X1, downclocked (meaning slower than it's made for)
arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/12/nintendo-switch-nvidia-tegra-x1-specs-speed/

Another device running a Tegra X1 (but running at full capacity. not downclocked) is the Pixel C tablet:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_C

The battery life on the Switch: 2.5 hours when running demanding games, and 6.5 hours maximum when running small games like 2D pixelated old games.

The Pixel C tablet that has the same chipset and at full speed, has a battery life of 5 hours when running continuous benchmark (meaning, the heaviest software there is), and has a maximum battery life of 13 hours (when lightweight software) like wifi browsing or wifi video streaming.
anandtech.com/show/9972/the-google-pixel-c-review/6

There is ZERO excuse for Nintendo's new device to be so underpowered, and for a handheld device to have such a SHIT battery life even though the chipset is downclocked.

You're gonna have to carry a bunch of powerbanks to charge your Switch while you're playing.

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2016/10/21/13356760/nintendo-switch-dock-functionality-tv-output-power
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not to mention the resolution of the tablet vs. the switch.

2560x1800 resolution high quality panel, against a shit quality 720 panel with shit tier capacitive touch and way more featuers

Think you're lost friend.

Nobody fucking cares.

This is not Sup Forums

Sup Forumsintendo is in denial and doesn't understand hardware

this is technology, I'm not talking about video games, go be autistic elsewhere

I'm not really sure hardware ever mattered with Nintendo. They've always had worse specs than everyone else. As long as the games are fine and the general user experience is fine, it will sell well. A number of people are going to buy this just for Breath of the Wild.

Still not confirmed what's going to be in the switch, that article is from last year

Some basic calcs I did:
Docked switch will be ~60% worse than a ps4 (non pro)
Mobile switch will be ~40% weaker than a flagship smartphone

And this PoS will be gobbled up by nintendo manchildren for $350

Daily reminder the new shield was scrapped so as not to compete with Switch
Daily reminder that we will not have a Nexus 7 successor because of the Switch
Daily reminder it's okay when nintendo does it

>Daily reminder that we will not have a Nexus 7 successor because of the Switch

wut? What does Google care?

Nintendo has ALWAYS been the company to release something underpowered compared to everything else out, but $100-200 cheaper.

N64, SNES, etc, etc.

It's been going on for decades.

>What does Google care?
>google needs to care for a Nexus 7 successor to be had
The shield was the spiritual successor of the nexus 7. It doesn't matter from which company.
>right size
>right hardware
>right price

>but $100-200 cheaper.
top kek faggot. this thing is more expensive than a PS4 (normal, not pro) while also being way slower than a PS4

and also handheld and 1/4 of the size

your point?

N64 had stronger cpu/gpu than ps1 but less memory and the cartridge was also a limiting factor

>It doesn't matter from which company.

What are you on? Can I have some too?

>mobile hardware with no battery life
either be a console or a viable handheld. this is neither

PS1 came out 2-3 years earlier

Kek grow up faggot, this has nintendo written all over it, it fully follows their strategy for the past 2+ decades, everyone knew this was going to be the case MONTHS ago, why you're throwing a tantrum because it's been confirmed is beyond me.

None of the announcements last night surprised ANYONE who was paying attention.

>the niche filled by the nexus 7 can only be filled by a new nexus 7 from google+partner company
>a reasonably priced and sized performance tablet can only be made by google+partner company
Retard

>None of the announcements last night surprised ANYONE who was paying attention.
top kek, nintendo can literally fuck your mom and dad on live tv and you're still ok with them

No one is forcing you to buy a switch user.

>something underpowered
>SNES
>N64
my sides
These weak consoles started with the wii, really.

>$100-200 cheaper
Except now it's significantly more expensive. And wiiU is still the price of a ps4.

So it has a small battery and 720p screen which is cheap af, while a ps4 has a much more expensive HDD, apu etc.

What's retarded is you thinking that Google cares about either the Shield or Switch and won't make another 7 inch tablet

>you can't criticize things, just ignore them lol
literally hang yourself

not that guy but two days ago Sup Forums was spamming that this will be 200-250$.

300$ is way too much especially with the absolutely retarded controller prices

how big is the battery on switch? I'm sure after year release nintendo gonna made new revision like putting 10.000mah battery so it won't get downclock,

Vote with your wallet, that's a valid form of protest.

bitch online about it just makes you look butthurt. Waaaaaaahhhh I want things to be produced and sold at cost because no one deserves to make a profit.

Not only does your reasoning not make sense but Shield wasn't even a spiritual successor to the Nexus 7, unless you think every 7" tablet is a spiritual successor. The Shield was marketed to gamers, launched at $100 more, and weighed far more than most tablets of its size.

>Sup Forums was spamming
let me just stop you right there

Sup Forums wasn't spamming shit

Sup Forums hasn't had a Nintendo switch thread regularly until literally the day or two before the event.

Actual technical discussion that occurred on Sup Forums when the switch was first rumored pointed at $250-350, with some retards saying it will be $199 cause they're retarded.

fuck off fanboy
>just don't buy it
>just ignore the jewery of nintendo, it's okay when nintendo does it

No you're the retard
Google doesn't care about the shield. It's an Nvidia thing.
Google is not likely to make another 7 inch tablet, because (a) Nexus as a brand is kill and (b) they killed their 7" and 10" line and settled for 9"
(b) does not really matter because any company can make a good 7"-8" tablet that would fill the void left by the Nexus 7

Nintendo knows its demographic just like apple. Drones will eat it and ask for more.

Lol I'm not buying it because $300 is too much money for a shitty gaymer handheld.

That being said, I 100% see where the costs go and as someone who works with manufacturing of electronics, I fully understand WHY it costs as much as it does. It's just not a product that interests me.

>Vote with your wallet
This

>I 100% see where the costs go
that's because you don't know shit.

All the reviewers who have played it have praised how awesome the display looks

Yeah brand new custom controller with slide on screen and docking station, totally 100% already been done before, just gotta go dust off the blueprints and start producing it.

Fucking moron R&D alone costs MILLIONS of fucking dollars for brand new tech like this.

You're obviously a high schooler, just get the fuck off Sup Forums already and go back to Sup Forums.

The 7 was their most successful tablet. Their 9" trying to compete with the iPad was a failure. Just because they've offed their Nexus line doesn't mean they won't make tablets anymore. It's already rumored that HTC will make one just like the Pixel.

>does not really matter because any company can make a good 7"-8" tablet that would fill the void left by the Nexus 7

Not really debating that am I?

>unless you think every 7" tablet is a spiritual successor.
No.
>Nexus 7
>great price for the shit it packs inside
>Other 7" inch tablets
>shit internals; some may have good resolution but shit hardware to drive it
>Shield Tablet
>balances resolution, hardware, and price
That it was "marketed to gamers" was only to highlight it was packing a strong GPU

>They've always had worse specs than everyone else
GCN had the best specs of the generation, it was just crippled with mini DVDs

I think it started with the DS. Even by the standards of the time - against the PSP and e.g. iPod/iriver/cowon/archos/... shit, it was reeeeal stingy on the hardware front

But at least the DS had great games and super battery life

So we get an overpriced gadget which can run copy pastas with better graphics of games that are in a comatose state because that shitty input quantity right there has been the standard for the past 2 gens and doesn't allow any game to evolve in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Great.

Remember when console gaming was good?
It was a time when console controls added more buttons and input with each advancing gen.
The moment that stopped, the moment they turned useless.

LOL no, it did not. Now you're speaking out of your ass.

>docking station
it's literally a piece of plastic to hold the console, with a USB C to HDMI and power cable.
>custom controller
a shit tier tiny controller with a couple of buttons, apple style force feedback and meme sensor

nope it was the xbox

Keep telling yourself that, Microsoft

Most people didn't need the premium hardware that cost $100 more and the added weight the Shield had. Way to ignore the points. Also they had overheating issues. So much for good hardware.

Lol, the dock that doubles the GPU performance of the Switch is just a piece of plastic?

Fuck off you're so obviously retarded. Holy shit.

(You) wrote
> Sup Forums hasn't had a Nintendo switch thread regularly until literally the day or two before the event.
> the day or two before the event

and I wrote
> two days ago

which is one day before the event. you're fucking retarded.

xbox was the most powerful 6th gen, you redarded nintendrone

>the dock that doubles the GPU performance of the Switch
it doesn't double you retard, there is no hardware in the dock, the switch just underclocks its own hardware when undocked. you literally don't know shit about the hardware lmao

>he disagrees with me, clearly he's a fanboy
Top kek

The point is how do you think it overclocks just by being plugged into the dock?

Nigger faggot, it has cooling in the dock

yeah a 486Mhz single core 180nm CPU vs the xbox with a 733Mhz single core 180nm CPU.

Hmmmm wonder which was better....

>overclocks
it doesn't. are you retarded? it has no cooling, no overclocking.

docked: tegra runs are normal speed
undocked: tegra runs are slower speed

it's not for heating, but for battery life that is already shit when it's underclocked

>m-muh megahertz

>fix overheating issues
>reduce price by $100
Yeah it wasn't the Shield Tablet that took over the memespot, it was the Shield K1

makes WiiU look like NES

I mean, one and a half years, but feel free to suggest it was twice that amount of time.

>it's not for heating
Bullshit, fucking absolute 100% bullshit.

If it's a battery life issue they could just let you run it at full speeds all the time, MOST people wouldnt care about the battery life because MOST people are near outlets often enough.

It is 100% about cooling. retard.

Wow a fucking fan, that was hard.

That said it doesnt overclock. It just goes to the normal clocks, and the Shield TV has no problem running those.

>256 cuda cores

xbox gpu was leaguse ahead than NGC
it was more powerfull than gf3 ti

>If it's a battery life issue they could just let you run it at full speeds all the time, MOST people wouldnt care about the battery life because MOST people are near outlets often enough.
there is no hardware in the dock faggot. underclocked running a normal game, the battery life is already 2.5 hours. running at max speed = no battery life whatsoever.

>my redmi note 3 pro is nearly as fast as nintendo switch

literal idiot

theverge.com/2016/10/21/13356760/nintendo-switch-dock-functionality-tv-output-power

Nvidia has no problem running this thing at full clocks. Also fucking phones are a lot more powerful than the underclocked switch.

I doubt the K1 sold anywhere close to the Nexus 7. People just buy Fire HDs now.

Are you actually trying to use a Verge article from OCTOBER as proof?

Fucking kek

give a single source saying the dock is anything other than a USB C to HDMI+Power piece of plastic. go on.
>your source is not good because I don't agree
I have never seen so many retarded manchildren being autistic

HAHAHAHA i love reading specs battles, little kids this days are entertaining.

>Nintendo CONFIRMS
>b-but october!

Are you really this retarded?

The Switch isn't even out yet, and you're claiming all sorts of garbage that hasn't been confirmed OR denied

Why not just wait until things are ACTUALLY fucking confirmed, instead of sperging out like an autist about how it costs too much despite the fact you don't even know the full specification of what you're buying.

>the saturation of tablets were the same in 2012 and 2013 than in 2014 and 2015
Doesn't change the fact that the shield (k1) takes that sweet spot of size, price, and performance

The article even fucking says, nintendo WOULDNT confirm if it would add performance or do anything else.

>The Switch isn't even out yet,
hey retard, people are already playing it at events (one is live right now) and nintendo has been giving all specs.

>I don't know so it doesn't exist
you are BTFO

>mfw I overclock the k1 to match shieldTV speeds and it just werks
I mean it gets pretty warm even with a THICC case, guzzles battery life like your mom, but it werks

Not about the dock which is what we're specifically talking about.

"The main unit of Nintendo Switch is the unit that has the LCD screen, which the two Joy-Con controllers can be attached to and detached from. The main function of the Nintendo Switch Dock is to provide an output to the TV, as well as charging and providing power to the system."
- NINTENDO

So cooling is not a primary thing it does, if at all.

>little kids this days are entertaining.

The success or failure of this will be based on how quick the battery charges and/or how cheap battery packs are.

Having said that, most of their target audience are kids who only use it while sitting in the back of the car while mom takes them to get some mdconalds or adults who will take it with them to the shitter to lay a log on the fire.

Sound like less of an Nvidia shill please.

the dock also, you're just being a sperg

>cheap battery packs are.
non removable

battery going bad? buy a new console

Again, from an article in october which even admits nintendo wouldnt confirm more about the dock, so again GG

Find me something from the past 24 hours

>implying it's hard to win the 7"-8" range
It's almost like winning by default

cite your source then nigger faggot.

Spot on

If I want pure hardware I play with PC. Xbox and PS are both just shitty PC options at this point.

Wii was super popular with shit hardware just because of the game experience.

I hope they capture that again. Having the same unit for gaming at home or easily on the go is certainly appealing. Will see how it plays out.

games and functionality are more important than a pissing contest about raw computing power

cite yours "hurr it overclocks" "there's hardware in the dock" "there's cooling in the dock"

fucking retard

>because of the game experience.
....Which was bad gimmick shit, fooled the masses, sure.
The only thing nintendo has going for it is its rehashed exclusives.

You're the one claiming that they're showing off the dock today and yesterday.

If what you're saying is true, it shouldnt be hard at all to find proof...right?

yes retard. it's a fucking dock, it uses a USB-C port only, the console has not opening for cooling, the dock is for charging and TV out. these are all facts

it was proven back in october retard

>making all kinds of wrong claims that have been proven wrong
>hurrrrr spoonfeed me

>proven wrong
>no proof posted

welp guess that's decided, pack it up.